Fighting in the NHL

Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Fighting in the NHL 

Post#1 » by Danny Darko » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:41 pm

per wiretap:
Toronto Star - According to a Toronto Star-Angus Reid online poll, 63 percent of Canadian hockey fans oppose any ban on fighting in the game.

"They felt that if you were to take fighting out, it would significantly affect their enjoyment of the game," said Mario Canseco of Angus Reid.

A lot of banter and changes have been going around concerning hockey fight. Spicolli and I both know a thing or two about that after being teammates on several teams that sometimes made up for lack of experience or talent with brute force. That being said, this is my view on fighting:

The real purpose of hockey fighting should be two fold.

1-It should be a method to prevent serious injuries due to slashing, boarding, and cheap shots. We saw an increase of these types of injuries any time they have tried to restrict fighting. Marty kicking peoples asses so that Wayne didn't get ruined was valuable to the entire NHL. Imagine if the Great One's career had been cut short by a Pronger type slash? baaaad for the NHL.

2-It is certainly entertainment. You don't need a poll to know how fans feel about it. There is still this weird perception though that if you remove it the sport would be bubblegum enough for mainstream viewing. Well it might be tame enough, but it would not be as popular either and the sport needs CPR as it is currently.

We've seen a return to a classic scrapper type. Throwbacks to the days when Domi, Marty, Probert, and Tiger Williams. Today we have guys with reps who respect the art regardless of their reckless images and larger than ever physiques:

Parros, Laroques, Boogaard(which is by the way the ultimate ghost pirate name).... maybe Raitis or the up and coming Westgarth- all guys with some Mortal Combat type character development to them. I think we need these guys in the NHL.

So New Rules coming eh?-

They supposedly are aiming to stop fights that are pre-meditated (aka the pre faceoff chat) and fights that happen as the result of clean checks.

I am all for the latter. I hate when the game is stopped after a big hit. It's counter productive to entertainment and lame. A perfect game has a series of big hits and also a pair of enforcers who want to know where they rank against each other.

So as Mary Antoinette Cherry might have said:

Let them eat fist!
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Re: Fighting in the NHL 

Post#2 » by Danny Darko » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:44 pm

oh and one of my all time favs:

Marty vs Probert
Boobs
Banned User
And1: 140

Post#3 » by Boobs » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:34 pm

DD, fighting is definitely a part of the game. It fills the seats, it gets the teams involved and it lifts chemistry and trust between players. If you can't fight or are afraid of it...don't.

But this definitely ranks as one of the best for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1oly62mUSU&feature=fvw

Any time Brashear would drop the gloves, you had to watch. Dudes a beast.

______
Kingz
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#4 » by Danny Darko » Sat Jan 9, 2010 12:21 am

wow never saw that one. In 97 Bob was about done and Don was coming up. Good scrap. Not many have given Donald alot of trouble and interesting. Changing of the guard type of fight.
DoctaJ
Sixth Man
And1: 401

Post#5 » by DoctaJ » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:51 am

http://tinypic.com/r/i4nwjd/6

Interview by Darcy Hordichuk from Van on their local station. Basically talks about the life of the NHL Tough Guy. Gives some pretty good insight. Check it out when you have a chance.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#6 » by Danny Darko » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:32 pm

Nice thanks for the link Doc
milpe
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by milpe » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:02 am

Thanks for the video links. It's a matter of fact that the NHL is not only sports, for the viewers it's mainly entertainment. The fighting and even the chance of experiencing a fight is an essential part of the entertainment the NHL offers. I know guys that plan their hockey TV schedule according to fighting - they watch the games with the highest fighting probability in their eyes, no joke. Ban fighting and you take a lot of action and entertainment out of hockey.

Return to Los Angeles Kings