MIN-ORL-MIA: Brutal, but with Friends

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 16,345

MIN-ORL-MIA: Brutal, but with Friends 

Post#1 » by shrink » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:56 am

MIN GIVES: Jaric + Craig Smith
MIN GETS: Battie + Smush + MIA 2010 (lottery protected)

ORL GIVES: Garrity + Foyle + Battie + J.J. Redick + Dooling + Arroyo
ORL GETS: Ricky Davis + Craig Smith + Blount + Jaric

MIA GIVES: Ricky Davis + Blount + Smush + MIA 2010 (lottery protected)
MIA GETS: Arroyo + Foyle + Garrity + Dooling + JJ Reddick

Why for MIN: Battie can't produce now, but he may fit down the road and he's used to playing next to an impressive young PF. He's a year shorter than Jaric. Smith, who I like but doesn't fit with Al, becomes a future 1st and we pick up a shooter in Reddick.

Why for ORL: Win now. Ricky Davis becomes the starting SG they've lacked the whole season (Bogans a starter?!?). Blount's outside shooting helps Dwight Howard, and let's him play some PF. When he doesn't, Craig Smith can play PF and let Rashard and Turkoglu play their more natural SF position. And Jaric would match well along with Jameer, and play some back-up 2. Only MIN would consider providing production for the injured Battie. Its a little hard financially, but they move some poorly productive salaries this year for production, and they fill all their team's holes, adding four players to their other four legit players. Maybe they sign a 3rd PG for the vet min, but for now...

Jameer, Jaric
Ricky, Jaric, Evans
Lewis, Turkoglu
Dwight Howard, Craig Smith, Cook
Blount, Dwight

Why for MIA: If they're rebuilding, a less productive expiring is worth the same as the productive Ricky Davis. This gives them some matches with an expiring PG (if they wish to deal Jason Williams) and an expiring center. Its not enough to move $14 mil more of Blount, but ORL is a place where his usefulness would be higher. They use a future pick (or else they could greatly reduce the protections on the pick they already owe us).
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#2 » by big3_8_19_21 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:07 am

sure. I like Smith, but he can't be on the court WITH Jefferson, it just doesn't work. Might as well shorten Jaric's deal and get a pick with it. I have low, low expectations for Redick.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
T-HuDfoShizzle
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by T-HuDfoShizzle » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:34 am

I agree that Miami would look to free-up some cap space but I cant see them giving us another 1st rd pick
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#4 » by deeney0 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:04 am

I still hate trading Smith to move Jaric. I think Cookie and Al can both improve their D and be on the court at the same time.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,933

Post#5 » by Krapinsky » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:01 am

LOL. Miami give a first rounder to get Davis and Blount, and then 2 months later gives up another first roudner to get rid of the same players. Or effectively gives up two first rounders (whihc will be lottery picks mind you) for the pu pu platter of Arroyo + Foyle + Garrity + Dooling.

I would love to see it happen, but Pat Riley probably doesn't want to get shot by some Heat fan
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
mnWI
General Manager
And1: 47

Post#6 » by mnWI » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:33 am

I think probably all NBA decision makers have realized that Mark Blount and Ricky Davis do the opposite of helping you win now. Good trade for Orlando if they want to tank.
shrink
RealGM

Post#7 » by shrink » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:42 am

T-HuDfoShizzle wrote:I agree that Miami would look to free-up some cap space but I cant see them giving us another 1st rd pick

I agree that's a tough pill to swallow, but what else could they offer? Davis isn't enough to get a team to eat Blount's final $16.5 mil, even if ORL would have a little use for him.

I considered having them reduce the protection on the pick they owe us, but I think they'd hate that even more.

I share big3's low expectations of JJ Reddick. I suppose I could send him to MIA, and they send us the expiring Smush Parker, to make giving up the protected pick more palatable.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#8 » by 4ho5ive » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:07 am

Im not sure D12 has the offense to play PF. He seems much better suited as a 5 IMO.
shrink
RealGM

Post#9 » by shrink » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:22 am

Didn't he play PF with Battie at center? Or did Battie play PF?

BTW, I modified the trade a bit. I don't see a big need for JJ Reddick here, so I sent him to MIA to soften the blow of giving up the lotto-protected 2010 pick, while we take Smush's expiring deal back.

I understand a team that wants to rebuild doesn't want to give up a pick, even if they are saving $16.5 mil to help rebuild financially. I'm wide open though to other ideas where MIA can add value to this deal less painfully.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by 4ho5ive » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:32 am

I thought Battie played PF, but now i cant find anything and im second guessing myself....
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,299

Post#11 » by Hoops23 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:45 pm

No way Miami trade a pick just to dump Blount. Mark Blount is not a burden and in fact we need him because Shaq is old and never complete games in a season.
shrink
RealGM

Post#12 » by shrink » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:47 pm

Adonal Foyle replaces Blount to finish the season for you.

I pointed this out on the Trade Boards, but I'm sure you remember, when MIN traded Blount and Ricky, they didn't get expirings back. Yeah they got a PROTECTED First, but they had to buy out a player and eat Antoine Walker's big deal .. a tune of over $10 mil extra salary. Ricky and Blount's value has certainly not gotten better this season.

I think Ricky and Mark are more productive than any team in the league, but ORL won't eat $16.5 mil of Blount's deal for expirings with just ricky. MIN subsidizes the additional cost to get an OK out of the Magic, letting ORL move an unusable Battie plus adding Craig Smith, but MIN's not going to do it for free.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 11,244

Post#13 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:54 pm

shrink wrote:Adonal Foyle replaces Blount to finish the season for you.

I pointed this out on the Trade Boards, but I'm sure you remember, when MIN traded Blount and Ricky, they didn't get expirings back. Yeah they got a PROTECTED First, but they had to buy out a player and eat Antoine Walker's big deal .. a tune of over $10 mil extra salary. Ricky and Blount's value has certainly not gotten better this season.

The Wolves actually saved money on the Davis-Walker deal because of the length of Blount's deal.
shrink
RealGM

Post#14 » by shrink » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:17 pm

Good point WG. I suppose my response is overlap from the Trade Board. A good poster there made a post 90 minutes after mine sending out the exact same package from MIA, and returning almost entirely expirings. Of course, MIA fans liked it, but personally, I didn't think Davis had enough value to get expirings out of ORL.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 27&start=0

I was comparing that deal to the other two. Which would MIN have liked more last Summer:

a. Expirings?

b. Or a protected MIA pick, but they have to eat Walker's next year and buy out Wayne Simien. That's $9.8 mil for a protected pick.

Anyway, I had just written a similar post over there, and my thoughts bled over. Sorry about any confusion.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,299

Post#15 » by Hoops23 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:26 am

Smith and eating the contracts of Jaric worth a 1st round pick!? :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger:
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#16 » by revprodeji » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:32 am

I really doubt Mia gives another pick unless they get a stud back.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
D' Winner Within
Junior
And1: 10

Post#17 » by D' Winner Within » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:14 am

I like the trade for the Twolves because they got rid of Jaric. Battie is out this season and so are the TWolves, I mean they will not make the playoffs anyway so Battie not playing is not a big deal as long he ready next season. Trading small for big and Battie has a year shorter in contract than Jaric. TWolves drafted Craig Smith in the 2nd round and trading him as part of a poackage to get a future 1st pick. LOL!

IF and IF and I say it again that IF Miami will give out a pick, its the Magic who should get it and not the Twolves
shrink
RealGM

Post#18 » by shrink » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:01 pm

For ORL, adding $16.5 mil of Blount isn't going to come cheap -- 4 months of Ricky Davis alone isn't worth that.

Taking on Davis and Blount only makes sense if they are in a win-now mode. This deal moves $5.2 mil of guaranteed non-productive Battie, to the only team that would provide production for him. Battie's contract is three years (Jaric's is only one year longer), but they only get two years of production - and none this year, so its like he costs $8.6 mil/year.

For ORL, moving Battie for Jaric is certainly a gain. Moreover, adding Craig Smith is another gain. Would win-now ORL prefer a lottery-protected first, or adding 20 PPG in production?

For MIA crying about giving up a lottery-protected first -- complaining doesn't make it cost less to move Blount. I'd like someone to clean my house, but if I whine "I'll never give up more than $10!" then I should just forget about the housecleaners. Same for moving Blount. Without Ricky, he's only going to cost more to move next year. And giving up a lottery-protected pick to move $16.5 mil of Blount, AND getting JJ Reddick, is a spectacular deal -- nobody gets that much out of a non-lotto pick. Whining about it costing too much seems childish -- just eat the Blount money if its too expensive.
Flash is the Future
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Flash is the Future » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:04 pm

We'd rather keep Blount than trade a pick to dump him. Shaq needs a backup anyway, and he seems to be up to the task. JJ Redick is worthless. You can send him to Minny. we've got Cook who's already better.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves