ImageImageImage

Pick Talk

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

MN Die Hard
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#21 » by MN Die Hard » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:39 pm

C.lupus wrote:Its not that his contract is terrible but if we keep Jaric, then we have $11m per year tied up in backup PGs that are limited. If we draft Rose, I would rather go with Foye as the starting SG and backup PG. That means there would be a lot of money sitting on the bench. If we move Jaric, then, yeah, I'm fine with it.

Either way I'd prefer to move Jaric, but even if we dont you can consider him a backup at all perimeter positions, not just PG.

I do see your point, ideally we dont want to take on more salary. But getting that mid-round pick is worth taking on Banks IMO. And I think he can be servicable as a backup PG for 15 minutes a night.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 16,344

Post#22 » by shrink » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:46 pm

I put virtually no value in Banks. This time last year on the Suns, he had more turnovers than assists, and he doesn't have the head to run an offense. He's a gifted athlete, but he has a notoriously bad work ethic. I don't like the size of the deal, but I really dislike it's length (through 2011).

Incidently, Banks had a good night last night, and is supposedly out of the coach's doghouse, as well as the fans'. However, its luxury-averse Sarver who'd have the final say.

PHO is so cap averse that they are one of the least likely teams to touch Jaric. He'd have to be spun (at a cost) to some other team that's expressed interest in him (MIL, NO).

As for keeping the 2nd out of the Green/Gomes deal C.lupus, you're the second person to mention it, so I'm going to take your advice and edit the deal. Thanks for the input everyone.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#23 » by mandurugo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:57 pm

I'm still not following your intention here. How does getting the Atlanta pick get you close to a mid first round pick? What if you pick up a bunch of late round firsts, how many teams will be willing to help you convert them... and if not, you're left with 3 first round picks - 2 of whom are probably not that great, but all with guaranteed contracts. All that said, do the wolves even want to add 2 more first round picks this year? I think it can be argued that they have too much youth as it is.
MN Die Hard
Analyst

Post#24 » by MN Die Hard » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:47 am

mandurugo wrote:I'm still not following your intention here. How does getting the Atlanta pick get you close to a mid first round pick? What if you pick up a bunch of late round firsts, how many teams will be willing to help you convert them... and if not, you're left with 3 first round picks - 2 of whom are probably not that great, but all with guaranteed contracts. All that said, do the wolves even want to add 2 more first round picks this year? I think it can be argued that they have too much youth as it is.

The Atlanta pick is currently #15....it doesnt get any more "mid-first round" than that!
shrink
RealGM
And1: 16,344

Post#25 » by shrink » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:45 am

mandurugo wrote:I'm still not following your intention here. How does getting the Atlanta pick get you close to a mid first round pick? What if you pick up a bunch of late round firsts, how many teams will be willing to help you convert them... and if not, you're left with 3 first round picks - 2 of whom are probably not that great, but all with guaranteed contracts. All that said, do the wolves even want to add 2 more first round picks this year? I think it can be argued that they have too much youth as it is.

I think this is a legitimate point, which goes back to my first post.

My overall goal here is to avoid losing assets that would expire without gaining some future value from them. We don't need the production, but some teams can surely use some cheap help now. I've given some thought to using a lot of late 1sts to move up in the draft, and I agree that I can't determine what team would have characteristics like that. I'd like to focus on getting a middle pick, like the ATL or CHI pick, and then using a late pick to move up in the draft, if there's a player there we like. I think the MIN and MIA 2nd's will also fill that roll, but I don't think there's a downside to getting more late picks. We were losing out on an asset for nothing before, and even if we don't want the pick, we could swap it for a 2009 pick (or at worse, cash).
JBoog35
Pro Prospect

Post#26 » by JBoog35 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:07 am

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:this gives us
C-Ogilvy/Jawai/Richard
PF-Jefferson/Caracter
SF-Brewer/Jaric
SG-Foye/Mccants
PG-Rose/Telfair

^^^^This team still lacks a jump shooter.
With Foye/McCants/Brewer all on the wings we don't have a three point threat.

I think McCants is a threat to shoot the 3. Although, I do agree with you that if let Gerald Green walk. We won't have much on the 3 point line. So, a few things can happen. Foye shows us his improvement on the 3 ball, then no worries. If not, we have worries. regardless, I still think the best scorer in this draft is Gordon. He doesn't need volume shots to kill a team, and he has hops, but his shooting is outstanding.

My Vision:
Top 4 pick: Eric Gordon
Mid First Round pick: Either Darren Collison or D.J. Augustin
First pick 2nd round: L.R. Mbah a Moute

In this way, we can move either Foye or McCants for a big man. Then we can also sign a FA C. We let Bassy Go

C: FA (DeSagana Diop), [(Trade McCants for David Harrison and right to Stanko Barac)], Richards
PF: Al Jefferson, Smith,
SF: Brewer, Gomes, 2nd round pick (L.R. Mbah a Moute???)
SG: Gordon, Jaric
PG:Foye, (Collison or Augustin)

If we don't go for a PG with the mid first pick, then
top 4: Gordon
mid first: Hasheem Thabeet, Adrew Ogilvy, Devon Hardin, Serge Ibaka or Nathan Jawai.
first pick second round: L.R. Mbah a Moute

C: FA (Diop), mid first, Richards
PF: Al, Smith
SF: Brewer, Gomes, L.R. Mbah a Moute
SG: Gordon, McCants
PG: Foye, Jaric, (sign a Anthony Johnson, Tye Lue, Dan Dickau, or Jason Hart with the lower exception.

I'm happy with either outcome.
"Dude, all I am saying is we already have a starting RB, his name is Chester Taylor. Besides AP isn't that good anyways. I hope we draft McFadden." --Me after he broke the record.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#27 » by wolves_fan_82au » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:17 am

JBoog35 wrote:
Dr.Krapinsky wrote:this gives us
C-Ogilvy/Jawai/Richard
PF-Jefferson/Caracter
SF-Brewer/Jaric
SG-Foye/Mccants
PG-Rose/Telfair

^^^^This team still lacks a jump shooter.
With Foye/McCants/Brewer all on the wings we don't have a three point threat.

I think McCants is a threat to shoot the 3. Although, I do agree with you that if let Gerald Green walk. We won't have much on the 3 point line. So, a few things can happen. Foye shows us his improvement on the 3 ball, then no worries. If not, we have worries. regardless, I still think the best scorer in this draft is Gordon. He doesn't need volume shots to kill a team, and he has hops, but his shooting is outstanding.

My Vision:
Top 4 pick: Eric Gordon
Mid First Round pick: Either Darren Collison or D.J. Augustin
First pick 2nd round: L.R. Mbah a Moute

In this way, we can move either Foye or McCants for a big man. Then we can also sign a FA C. We let Bassy Go

C: FA (DeSagana Diop), [(Trade McCants for David Harrison and right to Stanko Barac)], Richards
PF: Al Jefferson, Smith,
SF: Brewer, Gomes, 2nd round pick (L.R. Mbah a Moute???)
SG: Gordon, Jaric
PG:Foye, (Collison or Augustin)

If we don't go for a PG with the mid first pick, then
top 4: Gordon
mid first: Hasheem Thabeet, Adrew Ogilvy, Devon Hardin, Serge Ibaka or Nathan Jawai.
first pick second round: L.R. Mbah a Moute

C: FA (Diop), mid first, Richards
PF: Al, Smith
SF: Brewer, Gomes, L.R. Mbah a Moute
SG: Gordon, McCants
PG: Foye, Jaric, (sign a Anthony Johnson, Tye Lue, Dan Dickau, or Jason Hart with the lower exception.

I'm happy with either outcome.

if u get a mid 1st u do not take Jawai , i think he will go 2nd round like top 5
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#28 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:22 pm

wolves_fan_82au wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

if u get a mid 1st u do not take Jawai , i think he will go 2nd round like top 5

on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is it to call someone an abo

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves