ImageImageImage

The Andrew Wiggins Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,291

Re: The Andrew Wiggins Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo 

Post#321 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:28 pm

This was due. It's probably been a long couple of weeks without a Wiggins hateathon on the GB.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,291

Post#322 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:10 am

Anyone know if this is a straight max or are their any incentives to increase or decrease that value?

Embiids contract is 148, but can go lower (not sure by how much) or as high as 172.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#323 » by KGdaBom » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:12 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Anyone know if this is a straight max or are their any incentives to increase or decrease that value?

Embiids contract is 148, but can go lower (not sure by how much) or as high as 172.

My understanding this is absolutely a straight five years $146.5 million. Nothing more nothing less.
However, Wiggins promised Glen he would get better. :lol:
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#324 » by LibertyPrime » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:14 am

Woo-hoo! Glad this finally happened. It was getting weird for a while there.
"The last domino falls here!"
beezy
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#325 » by beezy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:37 pm

This could be the Joe Mauer contract of the T-Wolves. I HOPE NOT.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#326 » by KGdaBom » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:24 pm

beezy wrote:This could be the Joe Mauer contract of the T-Wolves. I HOPE NOT.

Other than both being a lot of money they are basically opposite. With Mauer he was getting paid for what he already did. With Wiggins he is getting paid for what we hope he will do.
We had no way to know what was going to come with either. Hopefully the 22 year old Wiggins will grow into a superstar. All he has to do is become a top 50 player in the league to justify the deal.
beezy
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#327 » by beezy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:44 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

Other than both being a lot of money they are basically opposite. With Mauer he was getting paid for what he already did. With Wiggins he is getting paid for what we hope he will do.
We had no way to know what was going to come with either. Hopefully the 22 year old Wiggins will grow into a superstar. All he has to do is become a top 50 player in the league to justify the deal.

Not getting lost in quibbling details, simply put, it could be a financial albatross. Andrew is god awful in advanced analytics after 3 seasons. That isn't comforting.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,172

Post#328 » by AirP. » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:57 pm

beezy wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Not getting lost in quibbling details, simply put, it could be a financial albatross. Andrew is god awful in advanced analytics after 3 seasons. That isn't comforting.

Although I'm not a fan of Wiggins fit for Minnesota moving forward(I don't think he'll be as good as some fans think), someone was going to give him the max so if Minnesota didn't want to lose him they had to do it.

He's signed and even if he doesn't get much better or fit well with the team, there's teams out there that would love to trade for a young scorer that is signed long term. Minnesota just traded a guy in the middle of rehab from a horrific injury, an older rookie who didn't do much and swap 1st round picks for an all-nba player in his prime. The worst case scenario by far was not signing Wiggins and then him taking the QO and becoming a free agent in 2019.
pass first
Head Coach
And1: 763

Post#329 » by pass first » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Klomp wrote:First year cap hit in the Andrew Wiggins $146.5M extension is a $25.3M. The extension is based on 25% of the 2018-19 projected $101M salary cap. Wiggins had a $22.7M free agent cap hold going into next summer. Because of the large cap hold, Minnesota would not have had cap space in July even if the Timberwolves had not extended Wiggins.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0709833658961236773-4

If the cap turns out to be different in 2018-19 does it alter the first year of his deal and the subsequent annual salary?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#330 » by KGdaBom » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:27 pm

beezy wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Any large contract could become a financial albatross. As long as Wiggins plays decent, and IMO we have no reason to expect he won't, this contract will not be an albatross. He doesn't need to be a superstar. Just needs to be a nice third fiddle to Towns and Butler.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,569

Post#331 » by Klomp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:30 pm

pass first wrote:If the cap turns out to be different in 2018-19 does it alter the first year of his deal and the subsequent annual salary?

Yes.

That's why you may have seen two different numbers reported too. Some people said 148m, others 146.5m. That wasn't a difference in what the sources were saying, but rather a difference based on a more recent cap projection that came out. Both were still factoring 25%. If the cap stays where currently projected, it would be $146.5m total, starting at $25.3m.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,827

Post#332 » by Zeitgeister » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:09 am

Joe Mauer was on a HOF trajectory from 2004-2013, not to mention there is no salary cap in baseball. Yes, Joe ended up being highly overpaid but the contract was mostly justified at the time it was given. Others mentioned that Mauer was paid for what he did, that's how it works in baseball because they are very underpaid for the first 6-7 years if they produce on a superstar level and Mauer did.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
Alwaysrightguy
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#333 » by Alwaysrightguy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:53 am

Do you guys think that #22 can actually stop taking those idiotic long twos? I mean it is the worst percentage shot in all of the league but he still hoists it like always. KAT and those fadeaways is another beef but no chance this team makes any improvement if long twos are acceptable....no way!
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#334 » by Klomp » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:58 am

The paranoia around the team (especially from outsiders) is that Wiggins wouldn't live up to the max contract because he'll be playing third fiddle behind Butler and Towns. Well, he's led the team in scoring in both games. Maybe just as important, he's been grabbing rebounds, with 5 in each game.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#335 » by Klomp » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:59 am

Alwaysrightguy wrote:Do you guys think that #22 can actually stop taking those idiotic long twos? I mean it is the worst percentage shot in all of the league but he still hoists it like always. KAT and those fadeaways is another beef but no chance this team makes any improvement if long twos are acceptable....no way!

Yeah because look at all the postseason success Houston's had by never taking long 2s. Clearly that's the only recipe for a championship....

King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#336 » by King Malta » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:27 am

For a guy who's meant to be passive he's looked like the biggest alpha of all our 3 stars on offense the first two games.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#337 » by minimus » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:34 pm

King Malta wrote:For a guy who's meant to be passive he's looked like the biggest alpha of all our 3 stars on offense the first two games.

I guess Jimmy is the clear alpha of this group. His all-around game is a great sign of maturity. He is willing to sacrifice his offense if favor to winner plays. Today I was happy to see that steal, rebound, and FTs in the clutch.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#338 » by King Malta » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:36 am

Alpha :wink:
FargoWolf
Pro Prospect
And1: 395

Post#339 » by FargoWolf » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:39 am

Read on Twitter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#340 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:43 am

Not bad for a third option....

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves