Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Quentin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,203

Re: Time to fire Thibs now!!! 

Post#81 » by Quentin » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:40 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Quentin wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:Because Wiggins was coming off of a good year, still quite young and someone would have offered the max anyway. We reached for Dieng, but before Gibson he was all we had, and was fairly decent.

I think Thibs will get the rest of this year unless Towns wants him gone.

I disagree with your opinions here.

What ones exactly?

It wasn't obvious that it was all of them?
I hang out here and mnrubecentral
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#82 » by Killboard » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:46 pm

Its a matter of when. He choosed sides with Jimmy Soreness and by doing that he didn't support his team, the two max players and key to his success in the franchise among them.

While a new coach could derail the last hope of making the playoffs this season, it could be useful for next coach to have time this season to gt ready next, scout prospects and decide what to do with the expirings and the player options.

I would sign a GM right now and let them run a coach search before the trade deadline. In the unlikely case his players support him with their performance then he could stay a little longer, but so far the defense hasn't improved and the offense has took a big slump.
NattaNerNutta
Freshman
And1: 48

Post#83 » by NattaNerNutta » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Please tell me Taylor has already, or plans to, reached out to Billups, for the GM job.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#84 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:00 pm

NattaNerNutta wrote:Please tell me Taylor has already, or plans to, reached out to Billups, for the GM job.

That would be ideal, but got to fire Thibs first. Taylor seems too loyal.
NattaNerNutta
Freshman
And1: 48

Post#85 » by NattaNerNutta » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:29 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
NattaNerNutta wrote:Please tell me Taylor has already, or plans to, reached out to Billups, for the GM job.

I don't think Taylor is the least bit loyal to Thibs. I think , when it comes to Thibs, it's all about the money tied up in the situation.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#86 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:34 pm

NattaNerNutta wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

I don't think Taylor is the least bit loyal to Thibs. I think , when it comes to Thibs, it's all about the money tied up in the situation.

I think you are right. But I doubt if Taylor would really care about the money if he could get someone he could trust to turn this around. Time will tell.

He would also have to admit the hiring was a mistake, even though he was the best option at the time. Too much power was given.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#87 » by King Malta » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:04 am

I don't like Thibs at all and in hindsight the Dieng deal is awful, but I don't remember many people complaining at the time. That was a crazy year contract wise and many seemed to think we'd done with to sign Dieng to that contract.

The deal Thibs offered Bazz (which he thankfully turned down) was much worse in the context of the two situations IMO.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#88 » by Killboard » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:47 am

King Malta wrote:I don't like Thibs at all and in hindsight the Dieng deal is awful, but I don't remember many people complaining at the time. That was a crazy year contract wise and many seemed to think we'd done with to sign Dieng to that contract.

The deal Thibs offered Bazz (which he thankfully turned down) was much worse in the context of the two situations IMO.

His money wasn't as big of mistake as the fact he was given money to start along Towns (or at least play significant minutes with him) after one season sample under Thibs, then we signed another player for the same money to start along Towns some months later . If Dieng were starting and posted similar numbers to his contract year he shouldn't be a big problem.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#89 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:50 pm

Can we make any assumptions about who would be the coach if Thibs was sent away now?

Then, what would we expect that person would do differently?
Killboard
Analyst

Post#90 » by Killboard » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Jedzz wrote:Can we make any assumptions about who would be the coach if Thibs was sent away now?

1st. Focus on the medium term. Saric should start for example instead of an expiring 33 year old.
2nd. Play rookies. We aren't going to blow up the western conference. We need help for the years to come. Develop players.
3rd. Improve the defense. Even to average would be great
4th. Be creative on offense. We had a generational talent on offense. Squeeze that.
5th. Dont support divas who goes public about team issues.
6th. Draft well. Dunn (pass on Murray), Patton (pass on Anunoby). Okogie seems like a good find though, but not good enough to get minutes.
7th Manage the personel in such a way that player don't ask for trades or don't pick their player options even when losing money.
8th Communicate better. If a starter player says his substitute deserves to stay, listen to him.
9th Sign smart people for the organization and listen to them. Don't be a control freak.

Just some usual things good NBA coaches should be able to do to succeed.

As for who, I won't say the usual suspects. I should hire a GM and trust on his strategy. Stevens didn't have any NBA experience for example.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#91 » by john2jer » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:50 am

Theres no logical reason that Tolliver and Okogie aren't getting Gorgui and Tyus's minutes. Saric should be starting with Gibson/Tolly the backup 5/4.

Our offensive and defensive systems are an absolute mess. Terrible movement.

It's painfully obvious when Teague is in a funk, and when he's in that funk he's worthless. Get him out and get Rose/Tyus in. Quit burning guys out with 38+ minute nights.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#92 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:19 am

Jedzz wrote:Can we make any assumptions about who would be the coach if Thibs was sent away now?

First, a coach that can actually communicate on a personal level would be a big boost.
Secondly, Id implements a new offensive system. Thibs' system of having your pg probe for the bulk of the shot clock isnt going to work well unless that pg is an MVP caliber player. We need to focus on running and getting KAT better looks.

Give me Stackhouse.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#93 » by minimus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:12 pm

I dont understand anything. Bjelica was 100th by RPM last year, RoCo was 8th. Now Bjelica is 21, RoCo is 26 by RPM. Tyus was top15 last year. Now he is 302. How Thibs did this?
Last year we had top4 OfRtg and bottom league DfRtg. This year in 5 games after Butler trade we have top4 DefRtg and bottom league OfRtg. Why? I always thought that with/without Butler it should be viceversa. How Thibs did this?
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,836

Post#94 » by Zeitgeister » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:08 pm

minimus wrote:I dont understand anything. Bjelica was 100th by RPM last year, RoCo was 8th. Now Bjelica is 21, RoCo is 26 by RPM. Tyus was top15 last year. Now he is 302. How Thibs did this?
Last year we had top4 OfRtg and bottom league DfRtg. This year we have top4 DefRtg and bottom league OfRtg. Why? I always thought that with/without Butler it should be viceversa. How Thibs did this?

Well first of all, RPM is VERY noisy this early in the season. Most of Bjelica's positive RPM is based on his defense, so I doubt it's sustainable.

Our defensive rating this year is 26th out of 30 and our offensive rating is 20th out of 30.

RPM is in SOME effect related to the players you play with, RoCo went from playing defense with a top 3 defensive center to a bottom 5 defensive center, these things are going to affect his defensive ratings.

Tyus is shooting very poorly this year and its having a big effect on his ability to have a positive impact.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
minimus
RealGM

Post#95 » by minimus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:23 pm

Zeitgeister wrote:
minimus wrote:I dont understand anything. Bjelica was 100th by RPM last year, RoCo was 8th. Now Bjelica is 21, RoCo is 26 by RPM. Tyus was top15 last year. Now he is 302. How Thibs did this?
Last year we had top4 OfRtg and bottom league DfRtg. This year we have top4 DefRtg and bottom league OfRtg. Why? I always thought that with/without Butler it should be viceversa. How Thibs did this?

Well first of all, RPM is VERY noisy this early in the season. Most of Bjelica's positive RPM is based on his defense, so I doubt it's sustainable.

Our defensive rating this year is 26th out of 30 and our offensive rating is 20th out of 30.

RPM is in SOME effect related to the players you play with, RoCo went from playing defense with a top 3 defensive center to a bottom 5 defensive center, these things are going to affect his defensive ratings.

Tyus is shooting very poorly this year and its having a big effect on his ability to have a positive impact.

Sorry. This year in 5 games after Butler trade we have top4 DefRtg and bottom league OfRtg.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#96 » by Dewey » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:34 pm

john2jer wrote:Theres no logical reason that Tolliver and Okogie aren't getting Gorgui and Tyus's minutes. Saric should be starting with Gibson/Tolly the backup 5/4.

Our offensive and defensive systems are an absolute mess. Terrible movement.

It's painfully obvious when Teague is in a funk, and when he's in that funk he's worthless. Get him out and get Rose/Tyus in. Quit burning guys out with 38+ minute nights.

generally agree ...
1. No excuse Okogie is not in rotation unless he's hurt.
2. Tolliver holds his own both ways and stretches the floor.
3. Jones and Teague are not effective in a drive/kick offense.
4. We simply do not have the caliber of players that need 35+ minutes/gm for us to win - "should" be game by game.
5. The limited ball movement is a tradgedy - never met a player who likes a meat-grinder offense.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
minimus
RealGM

Post#97 » by minimus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:07 pm

Dewey wrote:The limited ball movement is a tradgedy - never met a player who likes a meat-grinder offense.

Butler?
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#98 » by KGdaBom » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:47 pm

Killboard wrote:

1st. Focus on the medium term. Saric should start for example instead of an expiring 33 year old.
2nd. Play rookies. We aren't going to blow up the western conference. We need help for the years to come. Develop players.
3rd. Improve the defense. Even to average would be great
4th. Be creative on offense. We had a generational talent on offense. Squeeze that.
5th. Dont support divas who goes public about team issues.
6th. Draft well. Dunn (pass on Murray), Patton (pass on Anunoby). Okogie seems like a good find though, but not good enough to get minutes.
7th Manage the personel in such a way that player don't ask for trades or don't pick their player options even when losing money.
8th Communicate better. If a starter player says his substitute deserves to stay, listen to him.
9th Sign smart people for the organization and listen to them. Don't be a control freak.

Just some usual things good NBA coaches should be able to do to succeed.

As for who, I won't say the usual suspects. I should hire a GM and trust on his strategy. Stevens didn't have any NBA experience for example.

Casey should have never been fired and should be our coach today.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#99 » by vagelis » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:46 am

[instagram][/instagram]Thibodeau has done a big favor to Minesota to bring here Rose and pay him only 1.5m.
But even his former favorite player, Thibodeau does not utilizes him properly. He plays Rose off ball, something that seems to have no reason
The 2 pg rotations with Tyus being the pg over Rose are insane. Rose can have a Kemba Walker type of season if he plays pg.
I think that Thibodeau is really stabborn and a bad coach. He does not do any adjustments or he waits too long to do them and we lose games.
I think he has also a big responsibility about the way that Wiggins is utilized. And we talk about a big investment of the organization. He has done nothing to play him to his strengths and involve him to the offense.
The only reason to keep Thibodeau is money and the connection with Rose.
If we can keep Rose with Thibs gone, I agree that he needs to get fired as soon as possible
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#100 » by Klomp » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:23 pm

vagelis wrote:Thibodeau has done a big favor to Minesota to bring here Rose and pay him only 1.5m.
But even his former favorite player, Thibodeau does not utilizes him properly. He plays Rose off ball, something that seems to have no reason
The 2 pg rotations with Tyus being the pg over Rose are insane. Rose can have a Kemba Walker type of season if he plays pg.

I don't understand this complaint. Rose has the second highest usage on the team only behind Towns. Thibs has almost always used a wing as more of the facilitator than the PG. Essentially, I view Rose as playing the Jimmy Butler role for the second unit. He is the primary playmaker for the unit, even though he plays next to another PG and isn't always the guy to dribble the ball up the court the first 50 feet.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves