ImageImageImage

Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

shangrila
General Manager
Posts: 8,612
And1: 2,169
Joined: Dec 21, 2009
Location: Land of Aus
 

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#61 » by shangrila » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:07 am

Jedzz wrote:Tyrell Terry's outside shooting might earn him a role in the league if he ever gets the chances. Who wouldn't want a 50% corner shooter who shoots confidently. But I think his low burst, weak frame and poor inside game could limit him to a depth combo guard/shooting guard. His burst and strength is low. His frame doesn't appear to be one we are going to see get stronger. But again, that outside shooting is something to note even with defenders right on him. It's a quick release from deep and contested they still go in. That's promising. If he shows up in the league with a high BBIQ and somehow gaining strength I wouldn't rule him out. When you say you wouldn't take him, are you saying "at all", or are you saying maybe only second round or undrafted would you consider it?

It was more in the context of replacing McLaughlin with him.

I actually agree with a lot of what you said. His IQ is high on both ends and his shooting should give him gravity on the offensive end. He probably ends up like a Seth Curry type, which has value in today's NBA. He could be an interesting player for a team in the late 1st, especially for the Bucks or Sixers who have a big playmaker (I don't think he's a PG and is at his best off ball). His strength is the obvious issue but that can be fixed and he's smart enough defensively to where he shouldn't be a negative on that end.

Second round players people completely overlooked recently:
JRich!, Pat Connaughton, Norman Powell!, Mitchell Robinson!, Brogdan, Layman!

Undrafted players people overlooked recently:
JMac!, Christian Wood!,Nunn! Duncan Robinson, Royce Oneale, FVV!, Nwaba

There's definitely value there. Looking at this year there's some interesting prospects too, with Desmond Bane standing out to me as a huge sleeper (though he seems to be rising).

I would say others you liked there are likely downgrades offensively from JMac both in what they can do creating for and finishing themselves, and what they can do for others offensively. You are possibly going to lose all that just to "hope" or "imagine" that they will bring better defense? Listen to yourself for a second. "I'd take Maxey,Jones,Lewis Jr because..." Because you "think they would" at least be better in defense.

It's nice to have a player that defends well. I can't say it's something easy to translate to defending NBA players. It's a toss up. It also shouldn't be your primary focus. They have to be capable offensively first. Work on them defensively if needed.

I disagree. With the context of this team we need to start prioritising defence. That doesn't mean we do it at the expense of offence (e.g. I'm not saying we dump McLaughlin for a Kris Dunn) but it has to start factoring into our decisions. I believe it's a lot harder to coach up defence than offence so, while I'd rather not build either skill from the ground up, if I had to pick one it'd be developing the offence.

I'd also just add that Kira Lewis is my sleeper. I think he's got serious starter potential with an outside shot at stardom. If he's available at 16 I take him and run. So in his case I think he's just going to be a better overall player long term. Maxey and Jones I'm less sure of, though. Just wanted to clarify there.

You don't actually know what any of them will bring defensively or of BBIQ. Won't know until they make that leap. That's why I'm sold on JMac's complete offensive skills and creation for others now proven in a partial rookie season already.

That's fair and I do want to make it clear that I was impressed with his season and hope he returns. But at the same time I'm still going to look at other PGs in the hopes that maybe I can find someone who's a better defender because I think that's what we need.

And if I don't find anyone that fits what I'm looking for? No problems, I'm more than comfortable with McLaughlin being the primary backup going forward.




.[/quote]
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 7,690
And1: 1,912
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#62 » by minimus » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:13 am

JMac is RFA this offseason, cant believe that this simple fact is being ignored. I'd love to get him back on team-friendly contract, but we must be ready to have plan B,C and E to mitigate the risks of JMAc leaving team for better deal. Reported interviews with Killian Hayes, Cassius Winston and our interest for Campazzo confirm this.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,271
And1: 11,646
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#63 » by Klomp » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:34 am

minimus wrote:JMac is RFA this offseason, cant believe that this simple fact is being ignored. I'd love to get him back on team-friendly contract, but we must be ready to have plan B,C and E to mitigate the risks of JMAc leaving team for better deal. Reported interviews with Killian Hayes, Cassius Winston and our interest for Campazzo confirm this.

What about Plan D?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 7,690
And1: 1,912
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#64 » by minimus » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:36 am

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:JMac is RFA this offseason, cant believe that this simple fact is being ignored. I'd love to get him back on team-friendly contract, but we must be ready to have plan B,C and E to mitigate the risks of JMAc leaving team for better deal. Reported interviews with Killian Hayes, Cassius Winston and our interest for Campazzo confirm this.

What about Plan D?


I am sure that Rosas has more scenarios than we can imagine
KGdaBom
General Manager
Posts: 8,942
And1: 1,917
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#65 » by KGdaBom » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:19 pm

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:JMac is RFA this offseason, cant believe that this simple fact is being ignored. I'd love to get him back on team-friendly contract, but we must be ready to have plan B,C and E to mitigate the risks of JMAc leaving team for better deal. Reported interviews with Killian Hayes, Cassius Winston and our interest for Campazzo confirm this.

What about Plan D?

Plan D was a very bad plan and was eliminated from consideration. :wink:
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,335
And1: 1,506
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#66 » by Jedzz » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:37 pm

shangrila wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Tyrell Terry's outside shooting might earn him a role in the league if he ever gets the chances. Who wouldn't want a 50% corner shooter who shoots confidently. But I think his low burst, weak frame and poor inside game could limit him to a depth combo guard/shooting guard. His burst and strength is low. His frame doesn't appear to be one we are going to see get stronger. But again, that outside shooting is something to note even with defenders right on him. It's a quick release from deep and contested they still go in. That's promising. If he shows up in the league with a high BBIQ and somehow gaining strength I wouldn't rule him out. When you say you wouldn't take him, are you saying "at all", or are you saying maybe only second round or undrafted would you consider it?

It was more in the context of replacing McLaughlin with him.

I actually agree with a lot of what you said. His IQ is high on both ends and his shooting should give him gravity on the offensive end. He probably ends up like a Seth Curry type, which has value in today's NBA. He could be an interesting player for a team in the late 1st, especially for the Bucks or Sixers who have a big playmaker (I don't think he's a PG and is at his best off ball). His strength is the obvious issue but that can be fixed and he's smart enough defensively to where he shouldn't be a negative on that end.

Second round players people completely overlooked recently:
JRich!, Pat Connaughton, Norman Powell!, Mitchell Robinson!, Brogdan, Layman!

Undrafted players people overlooked recently:
JMac!, Christian Wood!,Nunn! Duncan Robinson, Royce Oneale, FVV!, Nwaba

There's definitely value there. Looking at this year there's some interesting prospects too, with Desmond Bane standing out to me as a huge sleeper (though he seems to be rising).

I would say others you liked there are likely downgrades offensively from JMac both in what they can do creating for and finishing themselves, and what they can do for others offensively. You are possibly going to lose all that just to "hope" or "imagine" that they will bring better defense? Listen to yourself for a second. "I'd take Maxey,Jones,Lewis Jr because..." Because you "think they would" at least be better in defense.

It's nice to have a player that defends well. I can't say it's something easy to translate to defending NBA players. It's a toss up. It also shouldn't be your primary focus. They have to be capable offensively first. Work on them defensively if needed.

I disagree. With the context of this team we need to start prioritising defence. That doesn't mean we do it at the expense of offence (e.g. I'm not saying we dump McLaughlin for a Kris Dunn) but it has to start factoring into our decisions. I believe it's a lot harder to coach up defence than offence so, while I'd rather not build either skill from the ground up, if I had to pick one it'd be developing the offence.

I'd also just add that Kira Lewis is my sleeper. I think he's got serious starter potential with an outside shot at stardom. If he's available at 16 I take him and run. So in his case I think he's just going to be a better overall player long term. Maxey and Jones I'm less sure of, though. Just wanted to clarify there.

You don't actually know what any of them will bring defensively or of BBIQ. Won't know until they make that leap. That's why I'm sold on JMac's complete offensive skills and creation for others now proven in a partial rookie season already.

That's fair and I do want to make it clear that I was impressed with his season and hope he returns. But at the same time I'm still going to look at other PGs in the hopes that maybe I can find someone who's a better defender because I think that's what we need.

And if I don't find anyone that fits what I'm looking for? No problems, I'm more than comfortable with McLaughlin being the primary backup going forward.




Thanks for taking the time and well thought out response. I agree with much of this. I'm always going to be ok with adding a two way player they find. Just show me one that has alreaddy showed in game bbiq and some true skills on both ends at some level to work with if drafting them high and I'm willing to buy in. That's worth a shot. Show me a giant questionmark offensively and I'll show you the last 15 years of the Timberwolves picks. I'm also less agreeable about taking chances at the expense of proven players. Because I believe they can destroy a good thing simply by creating bottlenecks of minute shares and having draft and contract values deciding things instead of current playing ability. it's just happned too often.

I am concerned with a situation like you mentioned, drafting a Kris Dunn. That's exactly what concerns me when I read all these player suggestions for their defense and people expecting a player to work on his offense later. I need to see some kind of developed offensve skills to even hope it can translate and improve on it. The idea of offensive skills developing later for players like this could be 5 or more years into their career if ever. These shouldn't be top end draft picks unless someone has seriously evaluated them and found they have skills that aren't being utilized yet. These seemingly blank guesses on raw talent with high picks really bug me. It's almost as if not playing college ball at all get's some people's imaginations to a higher ceiling than if they saw them play in college.

Kris Dunn was the ooposite, 4 years of college, sold to us as ready to go PG. People that summer wanted him taking over for Rubio as starter as soon as possible. He was claimed as both going to save the team defensively at minimum and not be an egghead on offense. As usual it was nothing but draft hype. Top 5? I'm sorry but how does this happen? It hasn't been his effort that stopped it. He's not a bad character flopping. It's not his litle injuries. He just simply does not have NBA offensive skills ability even yet and someone should have been able to tell that from 4 years of his college experience that evidence of refining skills just weren't actually there. That he was only existing on an athletic level in college should be something NBA evaluators more easily recognize and they should presume it will take time to teach them to refine skills if they take that questionable task on. Therefore making them a later pick with more time to develop in the background. When I look at what JMac was doing in college and then see these types of draft results it tells me people are just looking at size and taking pot shots into the wind and willing to end up with yellow clothes. If you have nothing on your team at all, maybe you take that risk. But when you have a player with refined usable NBA skills that you may end up limiting the time of, I don't believe that risk is acceptable at all. It can destroy the good things you had. Looking at the Dunn situation, we ended up pushing Rubio out, later Lavine out, spreading their minutes out while they were all there, and why? Why was that risk taken on a top 5 pick and then thrust into the minutes like he was. Because people thought they needed a better defender at point than Rubio? Because they somehow at draft time claimed he was BPA? it's all just a horrible mistake we shouldn't be repeating very often.

I'll have to look into Kira Lewis more yet.
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,335
And1: 1,506
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#67 » by Jedzz » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:44 pm

Ish Smith. 10 years in the league, has played for 11 teams now. Perfectly capable player. He's just small and therefore never gets the respect he's due. He's also a small player with big UPs ability that maybe 4 years ago decided to stop playing above the rim so much to further his health/time in the league. But I think this might be a decent comparison for JMac in player types and yet I think JMac is a little better at a few of the skills. But 10 year career capable in the NBA. Why won't a team show these little guys with true baskeball skill some respect with a multi year deal and solidify a roster spot longer term with them? You can get them cheaper early on and lock them in, locking in a heck of a player for your roster depth.
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,335
And1: 1,506
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#68 » by Jedzz » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:17 pm

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:JMac is RFA this offseason, cant believe that this simple fact is being ignored. I'd love to get him back on team-friendly contract, but we must be ready to have plan B,C and E to mitigate the risks of JMAc leaving team for better deal. Reported interviews with Killian Hayes, Cassius Winston and our interest for Campazzo confirm this.

What about Plan D?


What happened to signing players once you find real ones to keep them around and better your team?
Why does his original draft status have to inpact how much and how long you are willing to sign them for longterm?

Minimus' only thought is that he can only be signed for a dirtbag cheap ripoff deal, or else we need options b,s,d,e. Why?

Why was Andrew Wiggins only offered a Max and early? Why didn't they let him reach RFA status and let the outcomes of others bidding on him rule his value when it came time? Let his play and others view of that play set the bar for value?

One outplayed their draft result by a large margin. yet he's imagined as limited to a hinkie unguaranteed 1+3 tiny deal.
One underplayed his draft result by a large margin. yet he was offered max amount and max length

Why do the Timberwolves struggle annually and some of you not understand why? Why have you bought into this foolishness?

In a nutshell. Let's take anyone not drafted in the top 20 of the draft and replace them every single season. That's what it amounts to for many fans of this team talking about draft options every year. Yet at the same time they can look to any neighbor's yard and see for example an undrafted Christian Woods today and say, "wish we would have got that guy!", "wish we would have drafted that guy!" Why? Because you just would have drafted his replacement the year later and kicked him to the curb. This team never would have waited for him to break out. Likely "wood" have never let him out of the Gleague without injuries to others. The fans themselves would have never gave him any respect, that is quite obvious. The Sxers, Hornets, Pels didn't. The Pels gave him maybe his first minutes to prove something and he did, they waived him anyway. Now the Pistons give him a big chance and what does he show? Surprise.

Skins101
4 months ago
Lets be honest here, Pistons will move him because they are the Pistons


Go ahead and insert any loser team of the NBA in the league into that statement. They will likely fit. They all do this garbage and keep searching for instant return higher draft picks to save them. Would the Timberwolves have waited for VanVleet? Would you have asked them to retain him? After his first elevated year of playing minutes would you have said 1+3 or give me options b,c,d,e? yes the Timerwolves execs of yore would say exactly that, like you are now, and that's why the Timberwolves are who they have become.
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 7,690
And1: 1,912
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#69 » by minimus » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:31 pm

Jedzz wrote:...


Jedzz, I literally dont understand when you write many sentences. That is just too much for me to follow your idea. I dont ignore you, I simply dont understand your massive posts. In russian we say "краткость сестра таланта", which means "brevity is the soul of wit".

P.S. But I understand when you said me BS. That was easy.
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,335
And1: 1,506
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#70 » by Jedzz » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:42 pm

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:...


Jedzz, I literally dont understand when you write many sentences. That is just too much for me to follow your idea. I dont ignore you, I simply dont understand your massive posts. In russian we say "краткость сестра таланта", which means "brevity is the soul of wit".

P.S. But I understand when you said me BS. That was easy.


Obfuscation is more easily accomplished with less detail. But can also be accomplished with too much detail. So I understand if you are getting lost in my posts. I'm just trying to throw as many examples as I can that all support the same point in hopes of one out of many finally getting through to you and others.

1. Why on earth is JMac only able to be signed to a 1+3 in your opinon, and if he can't we must look for other more expensive options?

My assumptions for your answer to this includes a few possible reasons. I'm not telling you which, I'm asking which.
a. You don't really respect what he's shown so far on the court.
b. You don't really respect players that are undrafted enough to pay them more regardless of how they play.
c. You are just more interested in added many other players this year and a better contract offer for JMac would get in the way.
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 7,690
And1: 1,912
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#71 » by minimus » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:05 pm

Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:...


Jedzz, I literally dont understand when you write many sentences. That is just too much for me to follow your idea. I dont ignore you, I simply dont understand your massive posts. In russian we say "краткость сестра таланта", which means "brevity is the soul of wit".

P.S. But I understand when you said me BS. That was easy.


Why on earth is JMac only able to be signed to a 1+3 in your opinon, and if he can't we must look for other more expensive options?


I am not saying that JMac MUST sign that offer, nor that we MUST sign him to 1+3 offer. I think we SHOULD give 1+3 contracts to unproven players. I actually wrote that we should have given that offer to JMac LAST offseason, in order to retain him now.

I will give you one example. Tyus Jones contract. I loved him as MIN player. He put some incredible stats, he is a local guy. But he got 27mil/3yrs deal. Full MLE. I was mad at Rosas to see Tyus go. But. MEM can afford paying Tyus that money, because Ja is on rookie deal. We cant afford paying that money, because we are paying DLo rookie max deal. Right now, in difficult corona situation, I am happy for Tyus, and I am happy that MIN did not match that offer. Win-win. Talent will find the way and hard work will be paid.

Same rule should be applied to JMac, Beasley, Juancho and any other FA. We MUST learn from Thibs mistakes: develop young players, use EVERY leverage as GM to construct team friendly contracts.

24yo Kendrick Nunn has shown way more than JMac, and will be paid 1.5mil next season for a reason.

Now answer please my question:

As GM, would rather have two Jacob Evans contracts for 2020-21 season or one Jacob Evans contract and one Nowell contract?
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,335
And1: 1,506
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#72 » by Jedzz » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:19 pm

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
Jedzz, I literally dont understand when you write many sentences. That is just too much for me to follow your idea. I dont ignore you, I simply dont understand your massive posts. In russian we say "краткость сестра таланта", which means "brevity is the soul of wit".

P.S. But I understand when you said me BS. That was easy.


Why on earth is JMac only able to be signed to a 1+3 in your opinon, and if he can't we must look for other more expensive options?


I am not saying that JMac MUST sign that offer, nor that we MUST sign him to 1+3 offer. I think we SHOULD give 1+3 contracts to unproven players. I actually wrote that we should have given that offer to JMac LAST offseason, in order to retain him now.

I will give you one example. Tyus Jones contract. I loved him as MIN player. He put some incredible stats, he is a local guy. But he got 27mil/3yrs deal. Full MLE. I was mad at Rosas to see Tyus go. But. MEM can afford paying Tyus that money, because Ja is on rookie deal. We cant afford paying that money, because we are paying DLo rookie max deal. Right now, in difficult corona situation, I am happy for Tyus, and I am happy that MIN did not match that offer. Win-win. Talent will find the way and hard work will be paid.

Same rule should be applied to JMac, Beasley, Juancho and any other FA. We MUST learn from Thibs mistakes: develop young players, use EVERY leverage as GM to construct team friendly contracts.

24yo Kendrick Nunn has shown way more than JMac, and will be paid 1.5mil next season for a reason.

Now answer please my question:

As GM, would rather have two Jacob Evans contracts for 2020-21 season or one Jacob Evans contract and one Nowell contract?


If you are just talking about the size of his contract vs the size of Nowell's 1+3? Who wouldn't prefer the the latter? But you are again only talking about the contracts. You aren't asking about what players you want or what they can do on the court. Who the players are and what they can do matters to me. I wouldn't pay Evans his deal at all. Meawhile I would have paid Nowell a little more in a guaranteed two year deal and played him more for a better test.

About your previous answers:
I diagree about the Tyus example being even remotely the same to JMac. The level of play the two players is not comparable. The style they play with is really incomparable. Only the BBIQ and general small size are relateable. If you want to use Tyus as an example, fine, but even you mentioned what Memphis paid him. I believe that was an overpay for Tyus. Happy for him, but 9.yr is alot. 1.6/yr guaranteed for 2+1+1 is what he played for here. What Memphis did however with that contract is show him they were committing to use him and that's pretty important.

I don't think JMac has to be offered so much even though I think his ceiling offensively is way higher. But there is a huge area between an unguaranteed 1+3 joke deal compared to a full MLE. I don't know if his initial two way deal leaves him open to still signing a rookie level minimum deal or not. But if he can, a lousy Hinkie deal could be <1mm/yr + 3 followup years and none guaranteed. The same kind of junk that people were frowning on years ago. Example:
According to several NBA agents, Philadelphia 76ers GM Sam Hinkie, a former Executive Vice President under Daryl Morey in Houston, has offered many young players unfair, non-guaranteed contracts. And the deals have rubbed many around the league the wrong way. (Ex. Chandler Parsons)

Jake Fischer
Jun 26, 2015
Si.com

Hinkie deals aren't a great way to be known for dealing with players around this league.

Clearly we understand where Rosas came from. Nowell already got leveraged into a lousy 1+3 and his chances of proving anything here are next to nil with the amount of court time they are looking to give him. And what do they care, they've almost put nothing into that deal and they can now cut him free before the next season if they need to shave under a lux line or something. It was a waste to even draft him if that ends up the case.

If JMac is much more of a player than Tyus Jones is, and I fully believe his top end is much higher, then why would a 3 or 4 year deal, guaranteed, at 3-5 million be out of the question? If they could lock in a hard working and truly skilled player for a depth role longterm for 3 or 4 mil/season why wouldn't you? 4 for 3 years? 12 million for 3 years of service as backup PG. Position solidified. Dlo/JMac/ then whoever...The fact that it's only been one partial season of play is the great part about it. That keeps you from having to offer more, but at least you will offer a fair deal with low guaranteed amounts. It will tell him he has a home here for a bit and that hard work pays off. Something you want all players thinking. Then if he proves more to Wolves and league after a short 3 year deal he can try to go after more.
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,335
And1: 1,506
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#73 » by Jedzz » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:47 am

Minimus, the followup proof as am I accustomed to offering: JMac is much better than Tyus and way underpaid.

Tyus Jones
Since he was drafted his previous deal was averaging 1.6/yr for 4 years (two team options year 3-4)
Year 1: (37 games)
.359 FG, .302 3FG, .388 2FG, 2.9 assists, .8 Steal, .1 Block, 1.3 boards, .9 TOV, 4.2 pts
For Wolves: (247games - 34 starts)
.419 FG, .333 3FG, .464 2FG, 3.3 Assist,1 Steal, .1 blocks, 1.5 boards, .7 TOV, 5.1 pts
Best game in Career:
19pts 9 assists, 4 steals, 1 block, 5 Boards VS Pacers in Loss

Tyus has amassed 312 career games now and 40 starts.

QO offer was 3.5mm

JMac
Two way deal - unkown amount
year 1: (30 games - 2 starts)
.489 FG, .382 3FG, .569 2FG, 4.2 assists, 1.1 Steals, .1 block, 1.6 boards, 1 TOV, 7.6 pts
Best game so far:
24pts 11 assists, 4 steals, 2 blocks, 4 boards VS Clippers in Win


Jmac after his first 4 games: (arguably unprepared in first 4 games)
26 games - 2 starts
.509 FG, .412 3FG, 4.5 assists, 1.3 Steals, .2 Blocks, 1.6 boards, 1 TOV, 8.4 pts

QO offer listed (spotrac) as 1.5mm

I think it's clear that already in one partial season JMac was already able to beat Tyus best career outing across the board and he did it in his first 30 games. Meanwhile Tyus' best outing came well after 250 games into his career. Tyus' best game as a rookie with MN was 10ts/12 assists. That's a far cry from 24/11 and here we see a possible QO listed at less than half of Tyus. What a joke. I would suggest they at least try to get him for the amount Tyus passed up here. Then if he gets a better offer like Tyus did, then so be it. But to suggest a 1+3 now just doesn't help anyone look good. i realize you suggested 1+3 last year, but you have many times this year already too.
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,335
And1: 1,506
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#74 » by Jedzz » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:27 am

JJ Barea - with Wolves

6th year in the league:

Year 1: (41 games, 11 starts, arguably his best year with Wolves)
.400 FG, .371 3FG, .415 2FG, 5.7 assists, .5 Steal, 0 Block, 11.3 pts

JMac accuracy is much better.

Year 2: (74 games, 2 starts)
.417 FG, .346 3FG, .458 2FG, 4 assists, .4 Steal, 0 Block, 11.3 pts

JMac accuracy is much better.

Year 3: (79 games, 1 start)
.387 FG, .316 3FG, .426 2FG, 3.8 assists, .3 Steal, 0 Block, 8.4 pts

JMac accuracy is much better.

During this time frame, I think JJ Barea was making 4.75mm from Wolves per season. They also had rookie Rubio when JJ came, and Like Ridnour making 12 million over a three year span during this time so 4mm/yr. Luke was moved before Barea's final year as that is when Alexey Shved came aboard for 3mm/yr. We are talking about 2012 to 2014 timeframe where they were paying backup PGs 3-4 million, 6 years ago. This is probably why Tyus said goodbye after the 3.5 QO after the 18-19 season.
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,335
And1: 1,506
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#75 » by Jedzz » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:33 am

Luke Ridnour stats with MN (3 seasons, his 8th, 9th, 10th seasons in the league)

(206 games, 201 starts)
.454 FG, .358 3FG, .490 2FG, 4.6 assists, 1.1 Steal, .2 Block, 2.7 boards, 1.9 TOV, 11.7 pts

Ridnour was a heady bbiq player, but he didn't have JMac's accuracy, burst, net finishing either.
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,335
And1: 1,506
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#76 » by Jedzz » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:42 am

Zach LaVine stats with MN (3 seasons)

(206 games, 120 starts,28.9 mins/g)
.445 FG, .378 3FG, .480 2FG, 3.2 assists,.8 Steal, .2 Block, 2.9 boards, 2.1 TOV, 13.7 pts

LaVine was raw yet but vastly improving every seasons. JMac is more accurate yet again.

Today, this season, LaVine stats:
.450 FG, .380 3FG, .497 2FG, 4.2 assists, 1.5 Steal, .5 Block, 4.8 boards, 3.4 TOV, 25.5 pts
He's making 19MM/season now.
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,335
And1: 1,506
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#77 » by Jedzz » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:53 am

In 2018 it was rumored MN was one of the teams making offers to Alexey Shved again for around 4MM. 4 teams rumored but apparently he turned them down without any offers of guaranteed role amount in games.

Shved's career euro stats:
(166 games, 26mins avg, less than 34games/yr)
.416 FG, .352 3FG, .495 2FG, 4.4 (6+ lately) assists, 1 Steal, .3 Block, 2.6 boards, 3.9 TOV, 16.5 pts(21+ lately)
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,335
And1: 1,506
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#78 » by Jedzz » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:29 am

Medium
G Jordan McLaughlin, Minnesota
The Timberwolves season got pretty wonky, but Jordan McLaughlin sure did his job. For a team without a point guard, the Summer League standout played 20mpg off the bench and finished second among all rookies with 4.2 assists per game. In fact, his 31% assist rate made him the only rookie not named Ja over 20%. Throw in some quality shooting numbers, and don’t be surprised to see McLaughlin stick around on next year’s roster too.
KGdaBom
General Manager
Posts: 8,942
And1: 1,917
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#79 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:08 am

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:JMac is RFA this offseason, cant believe that this simple fact is being ignored. I'd love to get him back on team-friendly contract, but we must be ready to have plan B,C and E to mitigate the risks of JMAc leaving team for better deal. Reported interviews with Killian Hayes, Cassius Winston and our interest for Campazzo confirm this.

What about Plan D?


What happened to signing players once you find real ones to keep them around and better your team?
Why does his original draft status have to inpact how much and how long you are willing to sign them for longterm?

Minimus' only thought is that he can only be signed for a dirtbag cheap ripoff deal, or else we need options b,s,d,e. Why?

Why was Andrew Wiggins only offered a Max and early? Why didn't they let him reach RFA status and let the outcomes of others bidding on him rule his value when it came time? Let his play and others view of that play set the bar for value?

One outplayed their draft result by a large margin. yet he's imagined as limited to a hinkie unguaranteed 1+3 tiny deal.
One underplayed his draft result by a large margin. yet he was offered max amount and max length

Why do the Timberwolves struggle annually and some of you not understand why? Why have you bought into this foolishness?

In a nutshell. Let's take anyone not drafted in the top 20 of the draft and replace them every single season. That's what it amounts to for many fans of this team talking about draft options every year. Yet at the same time they can look to any neighbor's yard and see for example an undrafted Christian Woods today and say, "wish we would have got that guy!", "wish we would have drafted that guy!" Why? Because you just would have drafted his replacement the year later and kicked him to the curb. This team never would have waited for him to break out. Likely "wood" have never let him out of the Gleague without injuries to others. The fans themselves would have never gave him any respect, that is quite obvious. The Sxers, Hornets, Pels didn't. The Pels gave him maybe his first minutes to prove something and he did, they waived him anyway. Now the Pistons give him a big chance and what does he show? Surprise.

Skins101
4 months ago
Lets be honest here, Pistons will move him because they are the Pistons


Go ahead and insert any loser team of the NBA in the league into that statement. They will likely fit. They all do this garbage and keep searching for instant return higher draft picks to save them. Would the Timberwolves have waited for VanVleet? Would you have asked them to retain him? After his first elevated year of playing minutes would you have said 1+3 or give me options b,c,d,e? yes the Timerwolves execs of yore would say exactly that, like you are now, and that's why the Timberwolves are who they have become.

I was figuratively screaming for us to sign Wood after seeing him in one SL game. He was so obviously superior.
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 7,690
And1: 1,912
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#80 » by minimus » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:15 am

Jedzz, I appreciate your effort, but there is no reason to write multiple posts. I have troubles with English, but I am not stupid. My point is that team interest is over individual, that's why we should avoid bad contracts. There also might be a case when a player leaves team because he gets paid elsewhere, there is no reason to create a drama around it.

With regard to Tyus situation, you lost context. MEM paid him to stabilize bench, speed up team rebuild. Now they are in playoff zone, and they look much better than us. I think MEM did well in this situation. Just like Rosas.

With regard to Hinkie deal. Amount of money and structure can be negotiated. And in my opinion it MUST be negotiated, unless you sign a proven player. Sorry, but with all respect, JMac is not a proven player yet. Layman got 11mil/3yrs and got injured for almost half of season. Nowell had terrible year. But Rosas signed them to team friendly deals, we can live with it without rushing anything, without waiving or trading them.. That is his vision in a nutshell.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves