ImageImageImage

The Leandro Bolmaro thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,297

Re: The Leandro Bolmaro thread 

Post#121 » by winforlose » Sat May 8, 2021 6:33 pm

jpatrick wrote:I got the Euroleague pass for the month so I can see the final four. They have all this years EL on demand and I’ve watch a few of Barcaleno’s games.

I think Sato is much more a PG that can play off the ball. Bolmaro is more of a SG that can play some PG. I just don’t think his handle is nearly tight enough at the moment to be an NBA PG at the moment.

He’s 6’6” and thin. Coming into his draft year, he was considered an inconsistent shooter. He’s shot over 40% from three this year on very low volume. About one attempt per game (partially due to limited minutes). His shot doesn’t look pure but it seems to be going in at the moment. Very good EL athlete but probably average by NBA SG standards. High BBIQ. Plays hard, especially on the defensive end. Fouls a lot because of aggressiveness but I don’t think coaching staff minds because he’s playing limited minutes.

My first thought is a Lonzo Ball or Halliburton type guard that has a high BBIQ but you don’t want to be your primary initiator is his ceiling (not saying he’ll reach that but maybe). I do think he’s probably going to be a better slasher than those two. The shot is the key. If he becomes the shooter those two are now, he’s going to be a high end role player.

He’s young but not insanely young. Turns 21 in a few months, almost exactly a year older than Ant. I hope if we bring him over this year, we make moves to clear minutes for him. Wouldn’t want his growth to stagnant. He seems to be coming on a bit with Barca, playing important minutes in the EL playoffs. I’d assume if he stayed over there another year, he’d even have a bigger role next year. Barca may win the EL this year, very veteran team right now.

In order to clear space for him we need to move either Rubio or Beasley. If you move Rubio then you put Nowell at backup PG and give him run with Bolmaro in a kind of PG by committee setup. Neither has a great handle (based on what I have seen of Nowell and your comments about Bolmaro,) but both are passable at PG. if you move Beasley then Ant slots into SG and Bolmaro plays backup and Nowell becomes a third string PG/SG next man up.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#122 » by shrink » Sun May 9, 2021 12:44 pm

Good posts you guys. This particular series has changed my mind on a trade idea I’ve had.

I agree Sato is a very good back up PG, and I thought that if we traded Rubio to CHI, Sato would be a decent, one-year back up PG to replace him. However, I think you three have convinced me that we don’t even want him. It would be wonderful to get Nowell more minutes, Bolmaro could use them, and it’s still likely we could keep McLaughlin cheap. Sato is certainly better than any of these guys right now, and it might cost us a game or two, but if KAT, and DLo, and Ant could all be initiating offense, I’d rather put those minutes into developing and assessing those younger players. I know in the MEM game, DLo played 37 minutes, Rubio played 17, and Nowell and McLaughlin didn’t even get in.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#123 » by KGdaBom » Sun May 9, 2021 4:44 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Nick K wrote:
Klomp wrote:I think Satoransky is probably a decent player comp overall.

Satoransky is a quality bench player. I sure hope Bolmaro is better than that.

It would be great if he was better, but if you get a quality rotation player from the 23rd pick it’s a win.

Eggzactly. :D
rulas95
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#124 » by rulas95 » Sun May 9, 2021 11:10 pm

Another great performance today from Bolmaro.

He changed the game in the second quarter with his entry, making Barcelona a 4-33 run. And that he does not score (in the second quarter), but his defensive intensity will be one of those that win games, today 5 steals.

In the second half he showed how the shot continues to improve (2/4 in T2 and 2/4 in T3), his best is still great.
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#125 » by old school 34 » Mon May 10, 2021 4:46 am

I've leaned towards him staying over in Spain another year....but growing on the idea...say he takes Layman's roster spot which saves us about 1.5 mil & the thought that with a normal G-league next year...@ minimum, we're in better place to maximize his development? Is losing the rookie contract year worth it, if he's still not rotation piece next year....which is still most likely scenario, no?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#126 » by jpatrick » Mon May 10, 2021 5:31 pm

old school 34 wrote:I've leaned towards him staying over in Spain another year....but growing on the idea...say he takes Layman's roster spot which saves us about 1.5 mil & the thought that with a normal G-league next year...@ minimum, we're in better place to maximize his development? Is losing the rookie contract year worth it, if he's still not rotation piece next year....which is still most likely scenario, no?

I do not believe he would want to come over to play in the g-league vs a bigger role on one of the best teams in Euroleague/ACB. If we bring him over, it will be to get regular minutes with the Wolves.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#127 » by NebWolvesFan » Mon May 10, 2021 6:33 pm

Bolmaro only comes over if Minnesota can afford him. If they don't draft anyone this year, they can fit his contract (2-3 million a year) under the tax. If they draft a player, they may leave him over, but there are reports that Barcelona has already been in talks with a player to replace Balmaro.

It will be interesting to see how they pay for him if they have to give 7-9 million a year to Cunningham/Suggs, who play the same position.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#128 » by theGreatRC » Tue May 11, 2021 1:43 am

NebWolvesFan wrote:Bolmaro only comes over if Minnesota can afford him. If they don't draft anyone this year, they can fit his contract (2-3 million a year) under the tax. If they draft a player, they may leave him over, but there are reports that Barcelona has already been in talks with a player to replace Balmaro.

It will be interesting to see how they pay for him if they have to give 7-9 million a year to Cunningham/Suggs, who play the same position.

Wait, so if a player waits a year after getting drafted while playing for another team, they can negotiate their contract as a 1st round pick??

I could've sworn 1st round pick salaries are set in stone, it's just a matter of how much the buyout from the team they're playing on
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#129 » by Klomp » Tue May 11, 2021 1:57 am

theGreatRC wrote:
NebWolvesFan wrote:Bolmaro only comes over if Minnesota can afford him. If they don't draft anyone this year, they can fit his contract (2-3 million a year) under the tax. If they draft a player, they may leave him over, but there are reports that Barcelona has already been in talks with a player to replace Balmaro.

Wait, so if a player waits a year after getting drafted while playing for another team, they can negotiate their contract as a 1st round pick??

I could've sworn 1st round pick salaries are set in stone, it's just a matter of how much the buyout from the team they're playing on

I think you're misunderstanding what NWF is saying. He's referring to the scale still.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#130 » by jpatrick » Tue May 11, 2021 2:01 am

theGreatRC wrote:

No. If Bolmaro signs in the next couple years, he’s stuck with the rookie scale with a certain amount that can go towards buyout. It’s only if a first rounder plays overseas for three years after being drafted can he be signed over the rookie scale amount (if the team has the cap space).
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#131 » by theGreatRC » Tue May 11, 2021 3:16 am

Klomp wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:

I think you're misunderstanding what NWF is saying. He's referring to the scale still.

True, i misread it..I grouped the 7-9 mill a year with Bolmaro's contract
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,455

Post#132 » by Foye » Tue May 11, 2021 10:04 am

old school 34 wrote:I've leaned towards him staying over in Spain another year....but growing on the idea...say he takes Layman's roster spot which saves us about 1.5 mil & the thought that with a normal G-league next year...@ minimum, we're in better place to maximize his development? Is losing the rookie contract year worth it, if he's still not rotation piece next year....which is still most likely scenario, no?

The guy is a professional player for FC Barcelona.
Top of the Euroleague regular season table and Final Four participant.
He ain't coming over to play in the god damn G-League for "development" reasons.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#133 » by Klomp » Tue May 11, 2021 1:22 pm

I think he would probably be a rotational player.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

old school 34
Senior

Post#134 » by old school 34 » Wed May 12, 2021 7:34 am

Foye wrote:

The guy is a professional player for FC Barcelona.
Top of the Euroleague regular season table and Final Four participant.
He ain't coming over to play in the god damn G-League for "development" reasons.
Hey....I get it...he's on a great team over there. But playing like what about 15 minutes/game? I know, he's been getting a little more lately, but not certain the reasons why he's getting them? I put himself in the draft...to come play in the NBA, right?

And again, maybe that is his thought process (I'm staying in Spain until Wolves guarantee me rotation minutes)...& it would be great if he's ready for that. But I haven't seen enough to that makes me so confident that I'd make that guarantee? He's gotta come over & earn it.

You think he's 100% certain to be a top 4 wing next year?

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,297

Post#135 » by winforlose » Wed May 12, 2021 8:04 am

Just gonna throw this out there. How sure are we that Rosas doesn’t trade his rights on draft night? Nothing against him, he seems like a solid player, but he doesn’t exactly fit our needs at present. I mean as I said above to fit him in we either need to trade Ricky or Beasley. Ricky is Ant’s mentor and his up and down play muddles his trade value. Beasley is a legit sharpshooter on a great deal and provides instant offense to either unit. Also, if Balmaro is more a SG then PG that forces Ant to play SF and MCD to play PF if Bolmaro ever starts. I could see a move to trade Bolmaro for a late first round this year or as part of a package to try and bring in another big.
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#136 » by TaylorTag » Wed May 12, 2021 1:03 pm

Klomp pointed out in another threat that the luxury tax line next year is projected to be at $136.6M. We go into free agency with 10 players on guaranteed contracts, two nonguaranteed contracts, and two players due qualifying offers. Those 14 players altogether total $135,014,758.

If we are adding Bolmaro to the roster, we are going to have to shed the salaries of either Culver or Rubio to make that work.. If we are able to move Culver and slide in Bolmaro in his place, think that would be a great improvement for this roster. Bolmaro seems to be the type of player we were hoping to get out of Culver -- a ball handling wing/perimeter player who can hold his own on the defensive end.. Think our roster could still use a guy like that, especially since a lot of our wing depth next season is Beasely, Okogie, Hernangomez and Layman... Bolmaro brings a lot of unique traits and skillsets to that group...

Ideally, the Wolves can find a team this offseason that is willing to take on a flyer for Culver, preferably a team that has enough cap space to take on his contract without having to send players our way.. That will allow us to sign Bolmaro, and then maybe we can insert Layman in a 3-way trade to free up some cap space to sign Ed Davis' replacement (no matter what, the Wolves will need to find a third big this offseason)..

I'm no expert, but I believe Bolmaro has to want to come here to, so its not like Rosas can make a unilateral decision.. I can't decide whether Rubio's status with the Wolves will have an impact on Bolmaro wanting to come over next year. On one hand, I can see Bolmaro wanting to learn the league under Ricky -- both being Spanish-speakers and Barcelona standouts after all.. On the other hand, if we are able to trade Rubio this offseason, that will leave a hole in this roster that Bolmaro might be able to help fill, which means more playing time in bigger minutes for Bolmaro.. I think the Wolves like Hernangomez, so Bolmaro should have a Spanish-speaking teammate to help him assimilate either way.

If we don't keep our draft pick, I for one would be fine with this group as our 11-man rotation

Russell, McGlaughlin (would have to give him a new contract)
Edwards, Beasely, Bolmaro
Okogie, Hernangomez
McDaniels, Vanderbilt
Towns, Reid

I'd be curious to see if Bolmaro needs to play next to a point guard, our whether he could share the backcourt with someone like Edwards or Beasely..
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#137 » by Klomp » Wed May 12, 2021 3:29 pm

Don't forget the Argentina connection with Prigioni too if he's still here

old school 34
Senior

Post#138 » by old school 34 » Thu May 13, 2021 4:44 am

winforlose wrote:Just gonna throw this out there. How sure are we that Rosas doesn’t trade his rights on draft night? Nothing against him, he seems like a solid player, but he doesn’t exactly fit our needs at present. I mean as I said above to fit him in we either need to trade Ricky or Beasley. Ricky is Ant’s mentor and his up and down play muddles his trade value. Beasley is a legit sharpshooter on a great deal and provides instant offense to either unit. Also, if Balmaro is more a SG then PG that forces Ant to play SF and MCD to play PF if Bolmaro ever starts. I could see a move to trade Bolmaro for a late first round this year or as part of a package to try and bring in another big.
Great point....that's what I thought he was when we originally drafted him...mostly a future trade asset. A fair amount after the draft....something had surfaced that the Wolves made the Rubio trade with the thought that they were confident that even though they were considering Bey, Precious, & Jaden @ 17....they would still have shot @ Jaden late & originally the other pick was going to HOU for Tucker....HOU backs out & Wolves slide those couple picks to make sure they got Bolmaro (to ensure the draft & stash guy & not having 3 frp rooks this year).

Never got 100% confirmation & maybe just some writer's conspiracy theory...but makes a lot of sense (which made me more confident that he's future trade chip). Don't know if he's a singular trade piece but more of a necessary throw in on a trade....just hope that's more in the vain of a true upgrade vs "I'll give you Bolmaro rights if you take Culver for me" type of deal.

old school 34
Senior

Post#139 » by old school 34 » Thu May 13, 2021 4:48 am

Klomp wrote:Don't forget the Argentina connection with Prigioni too if he's still here
Get off subject here...but that will be another fascinating offseason piece to play out....what happens for the rest of the coaching staff. It's crazy how well that has gone quite honestly...considering the circumstances that had a real chance to get ugly after Finch came in?

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#140 » by Klomp » Thu May 13, 2021 5:30 am

old school 34 wrote:
Klomp wrote:Don't forget the Argentina connection with Prigioni too if he's still here
Get off subject here...but that will be another fascinating offseason piece to play out....what happens for the rest of the coaching staff. It's crazy how well that has gone quite honestly...considering the circumstances that had a real chance to get ugly after Finch came in?

I think Vanterpool will be the only change...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves