ImageImageImage

Game 16: Timberwolves (4-11) at Clippers (9:30 p.m., FSN)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Re: Game 16: Timberwolves (4-11) at Clippers (9:30 p.m., FSN 

Post#101 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Dec 2, 2014 11:36 am

mercgold3 wrote:
Feilong wrote:^
You still don't get it?
Pek is a 10x better scorer, a better rebounder and this year a better defender than Dieng.
Yes Pek is overpayed, we all said that.
He wasn't a good pair with Love defensively (they were great offensively), and he isn't a good pair with Young.
But he was the best center available (who we unfortunately overpayed + is constantly injured) and we know Adelman went all in.
Well Dieng was supposed to solved some or the majority of the defensive problems. Has he? He is even worse than Pek.
I don't want to continue this conversation. You wrote your post and 4-5 different guys answered you. You should think for a minute maybe you are wrong.

You still didn't awser my main question, what is Flip doing ? Give an idea.

What is Flip doing? Hmmmm. Let's see:

1. Everybody knew that we are not a playoff team in the next couple of seasons. It seems that you weren't aware of that. We were estimated to have 20-30 wins by almost everybody. Now Pek, Rubio and Martin get injured and you're all like EVERYTHING'S WRONG!! WHAT'S FLIP DOING?? OMG OMG OMG while even with them 3 we weren't projected to have a good score, and without them, well, we look terrible. Look at OKC, they lost their 2 best players and they were on pace to miss the playoffs.

2. Thad Young isn't a long term solution, and everybody knew that, but you still don't seem to realize that. Getting him for a late 1st rounder was a good move. That late 1st rounder would be someone we'd not be able to utilize since we have SO MUCH YOUTH already. He'd have a worse destiny than GR3. But no, you again go OMG OMG WHAT IS FLIP DOING??? Do you even know what happens to most of the 18-25 1st round picks? They're out of the league or bench guys at best.

3. Long athletic shot blocking bigs aren't necessarily the key to good defense. Look at Charlotte last year: they had one of the top defenses in the league with Al Jefferson, the worst defensive starting C in the league, and Josh McRoberts, also a bad defender at PF. Defense is all about team chemistry, coordination, experience. But no, you're like OMG FLIP WHAT ARE U DOING?? PUT A JUMPING SKYSCRAPER IN THERE AND ALL OUR DEFENSIVE TROUBLES ARE SOLVED!! It's not true. There are so many bad defenses in the league even with rim protectors. We need time to develop defensive efficiency, as our team is constantly changing. When our units start playing together for years our defense will improve.

4. Dieng is currently a worse defender than Pek. You are misled by his highlight blocks. He is doing almost nothing right on D this season. Pek will give you man to man D, Pek will scare off some of the drives with his size, and he will box out like a man.

And lastly, you should stop overreacting. We are not a winning team, and you are the only one who seems to be surprised about that. If you're watching the Wolves games to see us being competitive, you will be disappointed. The only reason to watch the Wolves with Rubio out is watching the youth develop and maybe take a win against the worst 5 team in the league. If you want to see us having a over .500 record, you will have to wait for a long time.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,702

Post#102 » by Worm Guts » Tue Dec 2, 2014 11:52 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Without Thad this gets even worse. I don't know that we can afford to trade him.

They can't afford to lose him in free agency for nothing and they can't afford to overpay him to stay. Trading him would be the prudent move. And it's not like they're doing him wrong, It'd be good for him too to go play for a less depressing team.

Everything changed when everybody went down, they need to consider moving Thad first and foremost.

We can't afford to continue getting crushed every night. Maybe if the package is right, but I'd rather be competitive as possible for the rest of the season than add a late first round pick. If he walks, he walks.
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,278

Post#103 » by Sothron » Tue Dec 2, 2014 3:48 pm

Ashwinz. wrote:ROFL LAWLER.

What are we going to do with Rubio? Ok....

We're a laughing stalk. Our news, isn't even news!

You mean laughing stock. Although I'm sure if there is a NBA plant somewhere in the Siberian wasteland this franchise has been in for years it would be indeed be a laughing stalk of the Minnesota Timberwolves family.
Sothron
Head Coach

Post#104 » by Sothron » Tue Dec 2, 2014 3:49 pm

You mean laughing stock. Although I'm sure if there is a NBA plant somewhere in the Siberian wasteland this franchise has been in for years it would be indeed be a laughing stalk of the Minnesota Timberwolves family.
Sothron
Head Coach

Post#105 » by Sothron » Tue Dec 2, 2014 3:50 pm

Sothron
Head Coach

Post#106 » by Sothron » Tue Dec 2, 2014 3:51 pm

Sothron
Head Coach

Post#107 » by Sothron » Tue Dec 2, 2014 3:52 pm

Sothron
Head Coach

Post#108 » by Sothron » Tue Dec 2, 2014 3:53 pm

Sothron
Head Coach

Post#109 » by Sothron » Tue Dec 2, 2014 3:54 pm

Sothron
Head Coach

Post#110 » by Sothron » Tue Dec 2, 2014 3:55 pm

Sothron
Head Coach

Post#111 » by Sothron » Tue Dec 2, 2014 3:56 pm

Sothron
Head Coach

Post#112 » by Sothron » Tue Dec 2, 2014 3:57 pm

Sothron
Head Coach

Post#113 » by Sothron » Tue Dec 2, 2014 3:58 pm

Sothron
Head Coach

Post#114 » by Sothron » Tue Dec 2, 2014 4:01 pm

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#115 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Dec 2, 2014 4:43 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:

1. Everybody knew that we are not a playoff team in the next couple of seasons. It seems that you weren't aware of that. We were estimated to have 20-30 wins by almost everybody. Now Pek, Rubio and Martin get injured and you're all like EVERYTHING'S WRONG!! WHAT'S FLIP DOING?? OMG OMG OMG while even with them 3 we weren't projected to have a good score, and without them, well, we look terrible. Look at OKC, they lost their 2 best players and they were on pace to miss the playoffs.

2. Thad Young isn't a long term solution, and everybody knew that, but you still don't seem to realize that. Getting him for a late 1st rounder was a good move. That late 1st rounder would be someone we'd not be able to utilize since we have SO MUCH YOUTH already. He'd have a worse destiny than GR3. But no, you again go OMG OMG WHAT IS FLIP DOING??? Do you even know what happens to most of the 18-25 1st round picks? They're out of the league or bench guys at best.

3. Long athletic shot blocking bigs aren't necessarily the key to good defense. Look at Charlotte last year: they had one of the top defenses in the league with Al Jefferson, the worst defensive starting C in the league, and Josh McRoberts, also a bad defender at PF. Defense is all about team chemistry, coordination, experience. But no, you're like OMG FLIP WHAT ARE U DOING?? PUT A JUMPING SKYSCRAPER IN THERE AND ALL OUR DEFENSIVE TROUBLES ARE SOLVED!! It's not true. There are so many bad defenses in the league even with rim protectors. We need time to develop defensive efficiency, as our team is constantly changing. When our units start playing together for years our defense will improve.

4. Dieng is currently a worse defender than Pek. You are misled by his highlight blocks. He is doing almost nothing right on D this season. Pek will give you man to man D, Pek will scare off some of the drives with his size, and he will box out like a man.

And lastly, you should stop overreacting. We are not a winning team, and you are the only one who seems to be surprised about that. If you're watching the Wolves games to see us being competitive, you will be disappointed. The only reason to watch the Wolves with Rubio out is watching the youth develop and maybe take a win against the worst 5 team in the league. If you want to see us having a over .500 record, you will have to wait for a long time.

Ok, so let me get this straight.

1. "Look at OKC, they lost their 2 best players and they were on pace to miss the playoffs"
The difference betwen Minnesota and OKC is, they were not being clowned every single night. And we are talking about Durant, the 2º best player in the game, and probaly the best PG + another inuries they had, and they still did a better job than us being competiteve.
I was on board like almost everybody just saying, look, wee look good before Rubio got injured, we were so unluckly, that is the reason, but guess what, nobody buys that excuse anymore, this team is being crushed every night, clowned every single night and you can´t all the time blame the injuries.

2. I didn´t say that T.Young is a bad player, i´m just saying that Thad is a awful fit with Pekovic because of his horrendous defense, Thad is someone that you can´t said that he is a good defender also, and that is why i don´t get it Flip idea over here, if we were destiny to be so awful like you said, isn´t better to get a pick instead and give PT to Benett for example to improve the player ? Or since Pekovic is horrendous on defense, isn´t better to look for a defensive PF ? No, what he did was, Let´s put a awful defender with another awful defender to defend the rim, that work so well in the past with Pekovic - K.Love. Let´s trya again.

3. So, look at Charlotte last year, so you have more examples ?
Is any of the last 10 years champions won the tittle without at least one good defender on the front court, or without a good defensive team overral ?
But, hey if you you´re perfect example is the Charlotte Bobcats in a super WEAK conference. OK.
I´m not saying that you are not going to win some games with Pek / K.Love front court, but Flip had the chance to not overpaid Pek, and bring some over here to fit K.Love strenghts, and what he did ? Let´s put together 2 bad defenders on the front court and see what happends. Same for this year, you were with the same oppurtunity again for put together a better fit to Pek, and what Flip did ? Oh, let´s put together 2 bad defenders again in the front court. That Works so well. If that its true what you saying, let´s ask the Warriors why they know, they can´t win without Bogut ? I mean, they have the best 2 scorers in the NBA, why they dont reach the NBA finals ? Well, you don´t win without good defenders, specialy defending the rim.

4. So, the new excuse is, Pek is bad, overpaid, always injured, but hey look at 2º year player Dieng, he is not better than Pekovic, he is worse, he is the reason we are so awful on D. Cmon man, the difference again is, you´re not paying 12 M$ to Dieng. Ok, I am disappointed that Dieng isn´t doing well this season ? Yes.
But you can´t put the same responsibilities on Dieng, like you put on Pek.
And yes, Dieng with worse talent around him (because of inuries), is doing a BETTER JOB 100x better than Pekovic. Take out the Brooklyn game, and Pek was being clowned every single night out there.

I´m not overeacting, i´m just asking what is Flip idea over here with this ideas ?
Is R,Rubio the new Lebron James ? I mean, i love that guy, but cmon, even on other boards a lot of people are saying that it´s sucks too lose Ricky, but that can´t be a excuse forever, and i remember after Rubio got injured, we were with T.Young / Pek / Martin on the floor and we still were a joke as team.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,702

Post#116 » by Worm Guts » Tue Dec 2, 2014 4:55 pm

I'm pretty sure Flip was attempting to rebuild without being terrible. I'm not sure if Thad was supposed to be a long term fit, or just a stop gap to give us a serviceable PF for this season. We've been bad for so long, it's been bad for the franchise and I just don't think Flip wanted to bottom out again.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,676

Post#117 » by Note30 » Tue Dec 2, 2014 4:57 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:

I agreed with everything you said except for this. Dieng is a better defender than Pek, every stat will tell you that except for 2nd chance points by an OPP. If you stuck Pek in the starting lineup right now, he would be doing worse than Dieng.
Reasons:)

A. Pek is better at offensive rebounding, and is a higher volume scorer, the score is closer but its not because of his defense.

B.) Dieng is a weakling, not in the literal sense, but compared to Pek the difference is massive. Pek doesn't get bullied as much.

C.) Dieng is playing zone defense, if you asked Pek to do this he isn't mobile enough, the zone would collapse under Pek.

D.) Anyone who doesn't see how Dieng is playing right now really isn't watching the rotations our wings mess up. Dieng has to attempt to be a strong side defender all the time. He doesn't have Serge Ibaka's experience, stop expecting him to have that.

E.)http://stats.nba.com/vs/#!/misc?PlayerID=203476&VsPlayerID=201593&range=2013&range=2014
cube
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#118 » by cube » Tue Dec 2, 2014 5:09 pm

mercgold3 wrote:I´m not overeacting, i´m just asking what is Flip idea over here with this ideas ?

Just write him a letter and ask him, but please stop this constant whining here, it really gets annoying.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#119 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Dec 2, 2014 5:19 pm

cube wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:I´m not overeacting, i´m just asking what is Flip idea over here with this ideas ?

Just write him a letter and ask him, but please stop this constant whining here, it really gets annoying.

I mean, WTF, this is a forum, and i can't discuss some ideas ? What you want ? Whining ? I'm talking about the problems that we have for years and i'm whining. Ok. Looks like you are Happt for being 10 years withou playofs.

**** this, it's not the first time that someone already said that i'm being annoying. so...

I'm done. My last post over here, thank you guys, was fun. And good luck for our T-Wolves. ;)
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,501

Post#120 » by Foye » Tue Dec 2, 2014 5:27 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:

Ok, so let me get this straight.

1. "Look at OKC, they lost their 2 best players and they were on pace to miss the playoffs"
The difference betwen Minnesota and OKC is, they were not being clowned every single night. And we are talking about Durant, the 2º best player in the game, and probaly the best PG + another inuries they had, and they still did a better job than us being competiteve.
I was on board like almost everybody just saying, look, wee look good before Rubio got injured, we were so unluckly, that is the reason, but guess what, nobody buys that excuse anymore, this team is being crushed every night, clowned every single night and you can´t all the time blame the injuries.

2. I didn´t say that T.Young is a bad player, i´m just saying that Thad is a awful fit with Pekovic because of his horrendous defense, Thad is someone that you can´t said that he is a good defender also, and that is why i don´t get it Flip idea over here, if we were destiny to be so awful like you said, isn´t better to get a pick instead and give PT to Benett for example to improve the player ? Or since Pekovic is horrendous on defense, isn´t better to look for a defensive PF ? No, what he did was, Let´s put a awful defender with another awful defender to defend the rim, that work so well in the past with Pekovic - K.Love. Let´s trya again.

3. So, look at Charlotte last year, so you have more examples ?
Is any of the last 10 years champions won the tittle without at least one good defender on the front court, or without a good defensive team overral ?
But, hey if you you´re perfect example is the Charlotte Bobcats in a super WEAK conference. OK.
I´m not saying that you are not going to win some games with Pek / K.Love front court, but Flip had the chance to not overpaid Pek, and bring some over here to fit K.Love strenghts, and what he did ? Let´s put together 2 bad defenders on the front court and see what happends. Same for this year, you were with the same oppurtunity again for put together a better fit to Pek, and what Flip did ? Oh, let´s put together 2 bad defenders again in the front court. That Works so well. If that its true what you saying, let´s ask the Warriors why they know, they can´t win without Bogut ? I mean, they have the best 2 scorers in the NBA, why they dont reach the NBA finals ? Well, you don´t win without good defenders, specialy defending the rim.

4. So, the new excuse is, Pek is bad, overpaid, always injured, but hey look at 2º year player Dieng, he is not better than Pekovic, he is worse, he is the reason we are so awful on D. Cmon man, the difference again is, you´re not paying 12 M$ to Dieng. Ok, I am disappointed that Dieng isn´t doing well this season ? Yes.
But you can´t put the same responsibilities on Dieng, like you put on Pek.
And yes, Dieng with worse talent around him (because of inuries), is doing a BETTER JOB 100x better than Pekovic. Take out the Brooklyn game, and Pek was being clowned every single night out there.

I´m not overeacting, i´m just asking what is Flip idea over here with this ideas ?
Is R,Rubio the new Lebron James ? I mean, i love that guy, but cmon, even on other boards a lot of people are saying that it´s sucks too lose Ricky, but that can´t be a excuse forever, and i remember after Rubio got injured, we were with T.Young / Pek / Martin on the floor and we still were a joke as team.

What do you expect?

Look...the guy who runs our offense is injured.
The highest and 2nd highest scorers are injured, too.

Plus yesterday was a b2b game on a road trip. A fully healthy Wolves team would have trouble being competitive under these circumstances.

All you can ask for right now is that the guys are playing hard (which they have IMO), give the young guys a lot of time to develop & learn the system.
That way we'll move on with a core of Wiggins, Rubio, LaVine, Martin, Pekovic and hopefully a top PF/C prospect via draft and build from there.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves