ImageImageImage

Game 27 - Mavs (7-19) @ Wolves (15-11)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,108

Re: Game 27 - Mavs (7-19) @ Wolves (15-11) 

Post#101 » by MN7725 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:17 am

theGreatRC wrote:We got a dub and that's all that matters to me since it gives us cushion in the standings, even when we're not playing great basketball.

We're 2.5 games up on the Nuggets for 4th place.

I just worry that it becomes fools gold and wolves management therefore isn't proactive about making moves or attempting different things

Still think the lack of wing depth is fatal flaw for a playoff series

Crawford has been AWFUL three straight playoffs but if wolves win 40 something games with him as 3rd wing with mostly healthy seasons from Wig/Butler, do they view crawford as a liability? Probably not
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,060

Post#102 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:20 am

big3_8_19_21 wrote:Also, the broadcast team mentioned how dismissive Thibs was of the idea of playing Teague and Tyus together, which is disappointing. There are definitely line-ups that they could play together against and Tyus deserves minutes.

Very disappointing. Nights like tonight they for sure could have played together with Barea, Harris, and Ferrell splitting minutes together a lot. Teague should be able to hold his own at the 2 guard.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,145

Post#103 » by shangrila » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:32 am

moss_is_1 wrote:
big3_8_19_21 wrote:Also, the broadcast team mentioned how dismissive Thibs was of the idea of playing Teague and Tyus together, which is disappointing. There are definitely line-ups that they could play together against and Tyus deserves minutes.

Very disappointing. Nights like tonight they for sure could have played together with Barea, Harris, and Ferrell splitting minutes together a lot. Teague should be able to hold his own at the 2 guard.

He barely holds his own at PG.
moss_is_1
RealGM

Post#104 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:21 am

shangrila wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:

True. So why would it matter if he gets burned by PG's or if he gets burned by SG's?
shangrila
RealGM

Post#105 » by shangrila » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:17 am

moss_is_1 wrote:
shangrila wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:Very disappointing. Nights like tonight they for sure could have played together with Barea, Harris, and Ferrell splitting minutes together a lot. Teague should be able to hold his own at the 2 guard.

True. So why would it matter if he gets burned by PG's or if he gets burned by SG's?

Which is it? Will he hold his own or get burned?
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#106 » by Vindicater » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:16 am

WHOOOOOOO

Another win. Come on guys, it is party time. Don't be so uptight after a win!

"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#107 » by packforfreedom » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:18 pm

Dallas missed 100 open shots, but a bad win is better than a good loss.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#108 » by packforfreedom » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:41 pm

btw. who thinks Jimmy's new haircut headband combo looks like one of those old bicycle helmets?

beezy
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#109 » by beezy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:55 pm

No MAX player should ever look as bad as Wiggins did last night. He is one rich mediocre dude.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#110 » by kmgarnett21 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:12 pm

Wiggins did everything he could to lose that game. Missed FTs. Missed 3-foot wide open bunny. Horrible defense. Getting shut down by a no-name scrub. Geeze.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,703

Post#111 » by shrink » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:09 pm

MIN hasn't had a closer like Jimmy since Sam Cassell
shrink
RealGM

Post#112 » by shrink » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:15 pm

Gorgui didn't have a good game, but he did so many unusual things this game that I thought it beared mentioning.

He did a dribble spin move on the baseline. He got a steal and immediately hit a streaking Butler. He released down court himself on a run out. Andof course he had that steal, put the ball on the floor, and made that dunk.

To be honest, I never expected much out of Gorgui when we drafted him. He looked like the typical awkward big that gets drafted in the '20's, that never pans out and is quickly forgotten. But I have to give Gorgui credit, that he seems to really work hard, does a lot of important little things on the court, and he is constantly improving his game. I don't know if he is trying to develop small-ball skills too, or whether he was just unually energetic after so many days off, but I thought the things he was attempting this game were surprising.
moss_is_1
RealGM

Post#113 » by moss_is_1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:36 am

shangrila wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:
shangrila wrote:He barely holds his own at PG.

Just saying. Will he be any worse on defense at SG than at PG? Or worse than Bazz/Crawford? Tyus is better defensively than all those guys.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#114 » by shangrila » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:14 am

moss_is_1 wrote:
shangrila wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:True. So why would it matter if he gets burned by PG's or if he gets burned by SG's?

Just saying. Will he be any worse on defense at SG than at PG? Or worse than Bazz/Crawford? Tyus is better defensively than all those guys.

Crawford at least has height going for him, so I'd rather play him defensively than Teague.

I agree Tyus is better but I doubt he and Teague work outside of special scenarios like Dallas who also plays super small. Really, Tyus should just get more of Teague's minutes. 28-20 split in favour of Teague seems fair.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,702

Post#115 » by Worm Guts » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:15 pm

shrink wrote:Gorgui didn't have a good game, but he did so many unusual things this game that I thought it beared mentioning.

He did a dribble spin move on the baseline. He got a steal and immediately hit a streaking Butler. He released down court himself on a run out. Andof course he had that steal, put the ball on the floor, and made that dunk.

To be honest, I never expected much out of Gorgui when we drafted him. He looked like the typical awkward big that gets drafted in the '20's, that never pans out and is quickly forgotten. But I have to give Gorgui credit, that he seems to really work hard, does a lot of important little things on the court, and he is constantly improving his game. I don't know if he is trying to develop small-ball skills too, or whether he was just unually energetic after so many days off, but I thought the things he was attempting this game were surprising.

Gorgui seems to occasionally add things to his game that you wouldn't expect like the bank shot or the off leg fade away. Of course it also seems like after using the new skill for a few weeks, it fades away, or at least he stops using it. He is way more skilled than you would expect though.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#116 » by Killboard » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:06 pm

shangrila wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:
shangrila wrote:Which is it? Will he hold his own or get burned?

Crawford at least has height going for him, so I'd rather play him defensively than Teague.

I agree Tyus is better but I doubt he and Teague work outside of special scenarios like Dallas who also plays super small. Really, Tyus should just get more of Teague's minutes. 28-20 split in favour of Teague seems fair.

Dallas Ferrel+Barea have a DRTG of 94.8 in 281 posessions.
Barea+Harris have a DRTG of 100.0 in 567 posessions.
Ferrel+Harris have a DRTG of 88.9 in 320 posessions

So, while Dallas is a "special scenario", their two PG lineups coached by a defensive guru work very well in the same league as the Twolves, despite having bigs like Mejri, Powell, Kleber and 40YO Nowitzki. Maybe Thibs could learn something from Carslile, not only on defense, but in adapting to his roster strenght.

The problem I see is that offense with a small lineup should be based on high tempo and Thibs likes to micro manage the hell of the game.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,707

Post#117 » by Klomp » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
shrink wrote:Gorgui didn't have a good game, but he did so many unusual things this game that I thought it beared mentioning.

Gorgui seems to occasionally add things to his game that you wouldn't expect like the bank shot or the off leg fade away. Of course it also seems like after using the new skill for a few weeks, it fades away, or at least he stops using it. He is way more skilled than you would expect though.

Yeah, his skill level has increased significantly since he came into the league, even if it's not always on display. Unfortunately, he's awkward and uncoordinated in his body.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM

Post#118 » by shrink » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:45 pm

So true. I was amused when he stole that ball midcourt, drove to the hoop with an adequate looking handle (especially for 6' 11"), finished around the defender, swung on the rim with all that momentum ... then immediately slipped back to that awkward, awkward run, with his chest in fromt and his arms behnd his body!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves