Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,755

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#1301 » by shrink » Wed Mar 6, 2024 4:17 pm

winforlose wrote:
Calinks wrote:
winforlose wrote:So LAL is half a game back of Dallas who is a game behind the Kings for 7th. Am I the only one who wonders if Dallas might not make the playoffs this year? I could see a GSW or LAL beating them in a play in game. Especially if Dallas is on the road.

Dallas looked so good after the trade then they dropped like a rock in the last week or so.

It wasn’t just after the trade deadline. Before Kyrie went out the first time they were a top 4 team in the west. After he went out they dropped like a stone. Even when they got healthy again before the deadline they still weren’t consistently winning.

I don’t trust Dallas. Luka is magnificent of course (all Luka’s are), but I don’t trust their size. Moreover, while Kyrie looks content now, he can change instantly, so he can’t be trusted.

If DAL misses the playoffs again, how long before we hear the question “When will Luka request a trade?”
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,810

Post#1302 » by winforlose » Wed Mar 6, 2024 5:09 pm

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Calinks wrote:Dallas looked so good after the trade then they dropped like a rock in the last week or so.

It wasn’t just after the trade deadline. Before Kyrie went out the first time they were a top 4 team in the west. After he went out they dropped like a stone. Even when they got healthy again before the deadline they still weren’t consistently winning.

I don’t trust Dallas. Luka is magnificent of course (all Luka’s are), but I don’t trust their size. Moreover, while Kyrie looks content now, he can change instantly, so he can’t be trusted.

If DAL misses the playoffs again, how long before we hear the question “When will Luka request a trade?”

I feel like Dallas gave up too much to get Kyrie. To then have to move him and try to recoup value seems really tough. Especially when teams were wary of giving Kyrie another max after all his off court issues. Now if they don’t move Kyrie I don’t see a lot of avenues to get significantly better. Apart from winning the lottery (not even sure of Dallas’s pick situation,) I just don’t see bringing in that X factor player. Moving Luka and blowing it up might by the natural outcome. Especially if they miss the playoffs this year and next year. Three straight non Luka playoffs would probably cook off the rest of his patience.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,676

Post#1303 » by Note30 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:09 pm

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:

I feel like Dallas gave up too much to get Kyrie. To then have to move him and try to recoup value seems really tough. Especially when teams were wary of giving Kyrie another max after all his off court issues. Now if they don’t move Kyrie I don’t see a lot of avenues to get significantly better. Apart from winning the lottery (not even sure of Dallas’s pick situation,) I just don’t see bringing in that X factor player. Moving Luka and blowing it up might by the natural outcome. Especially if they miss the playoffs this year and next year. Three straight non Luka playoffs would probably cook off the rest of his patience.

They gave up 1 distant first round pick and two seconds. That's a steal for him.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1304 » by winforlose » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:22 pm

Note30 wrote:
winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:I don’t trust Dallas. Luka is magnificent of course (all Luka’s are), but I don’t trust their size. Moreover, while Kyrie looks content now, he can change instantly, so he can’t be trusted.

They gave up 1 distant first round pick and two seconds. That's a steal for him.

Dinwiddie and DFS were their primary defenders. Plus taking on 30% max for Kyrie is tough. He isn’t exactly the most consistent or best locker room player. There is a reason people were not rushing to sign or trade for Kyrie.
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#1305 » by Note30 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:53 pm

winforlose wrote:
Note30 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Dinwiddie and DFS were their primary defenders. Plus taking on 30% max for Kyrie is tough. He isn’t exactly the most consistent or best locker room player. There is a reason people were not rushing to sign or trade for Kyrie.

When he's on the floor he's consistent. He only missed time this season for some minor injuries.

Dinwidee got traded for an expiring and bought out and he's played poorly and DFS is a good player as is, but obviously

DFS +1st and two second would be worth it for Kyrie.

I mean it's hard to sign players that take a huge chunk of cap. Who was the last player that got that? Over 25% of the cap?

And prior to Dallas he didn't have the best track record sure, but he seems to be on straight right now. He's taking accountability for his actions seems to be getting on fine with the team. No drama during his tenure with the Mavs.

Dallas basically got a star guard for a role player and a 1st. Who else were they gonna pair with Luka? (They should have kept Brunson)

Unequivocally it was a good deal for Dallas. Risky but it seems to be working out for them. Better than Cuban overpaying a bunch of random scrubs as he has over the past 3 years.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,812

Post#1306 » by minimus » Wed Mar 6, 2024 7:12 pm

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Calinks wrote:Dallas looked so good after the trade then they dropped like a rock in the last week or so.

With Gafford, Lively, Kleber, Powell and PJ Washington DAL have more than enough size.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1307 » by shrink » Wed Mar 6, 2024 7:29 pm

minimus wrote:
shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:

With Gafford, Lively, Kleber, Powell and PJ Washington DAL have more than enough size.

I would say that we have three bigs that are all better. Four if you count McDaniels. Plus they get hurt all the time.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1308 » by winforlose » Wed Mar 6, 2024 7:51 pm

Note30 wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Note30 wrote:

When he's on the floor he's consistent. He only missed time this season for some minor injuries.

Dinwidee got traded for an expiring and bought out and he's played poorly and DFS is a good player as is, but obviously

I mean it's hard to sign players that take a huge chunk of cap. Who was the last player that got that? Over 25% of the cap?

And prior to Dallas he didn't have the best track record sure, but he seems to be on straight right now. He's taking accountability for his actions seems to be getting on fine with the team. No drama during his tenure with the Mavs.

Dallas basically got a star guard for a role player and a 1st. Who else were they gonna pair with Luka? (They should have kept Brunson)

Unequivocally it was a good deal for Dallas. Risky but it seems to be working out for them. Better than Cuban overpaying a bunch of random scrubs as he has over the past 3 years.

Kyrie has played 40. His presence does not guarantee victory. His defense is bad and he is a bad fit with Luka. Dinwiddie and DFS were a good fit with Dallas last year. Since trading them their defense went to **** and they missed the play in. Dallas wanted a second star, but they sacrificed to much defense for it.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1309 » by winforlose » Wed Mar 6, 2024 10:02 pm

Copied from hoopshype

“ Chris Fedor: #Cavs Evan Mobley (ankle sprain) is OUT tonight. So is Max Strus (knee sprain). And, of course, Donovan Mitchell (knee bone bruise), but we knew that one already. Sixty percent of the regular starting 5. 3 hours ago – via Twitter ChrisFedor
Injuries, Evan Mobley, Max Strus, Cleveland Cavaliers”

We play the Cavs Friday and again on the 22nd which is two weeks later.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,595

Post#1310 » by WolfAddict » Wed Mar 6, 2024 10:21 pm

Portlands chances? Slim to none on paper but stranger things have happened...

Would love an upset here, but I'm not holding my breath.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,918

Post#1311 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:03 am

WolfAddict wrote:Portlands chances? Slim to none on paper but stranger things have happened...

Yep, would love to see an OKC mega slump.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#1312 » by Note30 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:13 am

winforlose wrote:
Note30 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Kyrie has played 40. His presence does not guarantee victory. His defense is bad and he is a bad fit with Luka. Dinwiddie and DFS were a good fit with Dallas last year. Since trading them their defense went to **** and they missed the play in. Dallas wanted a second star, but they sacrificed to much defense for it.

That's not factual at all. Prior to trading for Kyrie that same year their defense was 115.3 and their offense 115.2

This year they are posting a 117.6 and 117.3, sure their defense got worse but their offense got better.

I haven't seen them play for a while but I doubt Dinwidee and DFS were the defensive anchors you think they are.

But clearly something is different because in 2021/22 they were 3rd in defense. I'm pretty sure that team comp then says a lot more.

Also Luka is arguably the worst defender in the league and it's gotten worse every year.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1313 » by shrink » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:49 am

Towns out against IND with left knee soreness.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1314 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:56 am

Note30 wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Note30 wrote:

That's not factual at all. Prior to trading for Kyrie that same year their defense was 115.3 and their offense 115.2

This year they are posting a 117.6 and 117.3, sure their defense got worse but their offense got better.

I haven't seen them play for a while but I doubt Dinwidee and DFS were the defensive anchors you think they are.

But clearly something is different because in 2021/22 they were 3rd in defense. I'm pretty sure that team comp then says a lot more.

Also Luka is arguably the worst defender in the league and it's gotten worse every year.

I don’t follow Dallas that closely, but I do know they lack on ball defenders. I also know they lost a lot of games post trade deadline. Kyrie got a 4 year 198.5 million contract. That is just under 50 Million per year. Kyrie is not a great defender or fit. If he is truly the best Dallas can do, then so be it, but I am not convinced anyone else gives Kyrie that much money. I cannot speak to why Dallas got worse in defense in defense between 2021-22, but I struggle to accept that metric from 22-23 before the deadline to 23-24 after it. A Quick Look at BB reference says Dallas is 23-17 in games Kyrie plays. They are 12-11 in games he does not play. It doesn’t seem to me that Kyrie is a 50 million dollar per season difference maker. I also don’t know that they can move his deal at his present value for a positive return.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,918

Post#1315 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:26 am

Wonder if Charles Barkley is still so high on the Clippers. They have looked pretty weak lately. Wish we beat them in that last game, if they lost that I think they would have a pretty unimpressive record in their last 5 or so.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,789

Post#1316 » by TimberKat » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:57 am

Calinks wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:Portlands chances? Slim to none on paper but stranger things have happened...

Yep, would love to see an OKC mega slump.

unfortunately, that is not going to happen with 8 of Portland's top 9 still out.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1317 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:51 am

KAT will miss the next game. Pacers will miss McDermott and Mathurin.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1318 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:54 am

Houston melts down and the Clippers now have a 4 point lead with a free throw coming. SMH :(
m2002brian
Analyst
And1: 1,168

Post#1319 » by m2002brian » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:00 am

winforlose wrote:Houston melts down and the Clippers now have a 4 point lead with a free throw coming. SMH :(

Melt down or tank commandeering?
BLUEGREENRED
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,789

Post#1320 » by TimberKat » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:36 am

m2002brian wrote:
winforlose wrote:Houston melts down and the Clippers now have a 4 point lead with a free throw coming. SMH :(

Melt down or tank commandeering?

They don't have a 1st unless it's 1 to 4, so, I think they were trying. Sengun missed some critical FT near the end (really sucked near the end) which cost them the game.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves