Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Heimdal
Sophomore
And1: 147

Re: Constructing the Timberwolves rotation 

Post#1321 » by Heimdal » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Rubio Russell Edwards Culver Towns
JMac Beasley Okogie Layman Reid

Can't Jarret Culver defend Blake Griffin who is basically a jump shooter? I say better than any other Wolf.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,272

Post#1322 » by KGdaBom » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:43 pm

Heimdal wrote:Rubio Russell Edwards Culver Towns

Can't Jarret Culver defend Blake Griffin who is basically a jump shooter? I say better than any other Wolf.

I really don't believe Blake is anything, but a shadow of his former self and nobody to be concerned about. Maybe they can find this post and put it on their bulletin board.
Medall21
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#1323 » by Medall21 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:35 am

Jedzz wrote:
Medall21 wrote:If you want to give your best and build a winning culture:

R.Rubio
D.Russell / M.Beasley
A.Edwards
Trade / J.Hernangomez
K.A.Towns / N.Reid

If you want to rebuild for 749th season in a row, finish 14-68 and try to develop players who when they are ready leave for a mega fancy franchise keep the rotation as it is.

I like your tone. However what is the rotation as it is that you refer to. We are closely following this team and most of us can't truly say we know what they will do without any doubts right now.

Thanks for your kind approach! I mean, right now following preseason matches line-ups seems D.Russell / M.Beasley / J.Okogie / J.Layman / K.A.Towns first unit, R.Rubio / A.Edwards / J.Culver / J.Hernangomez / N.Reid second unit. First unit is scary, a lot of talent but 0 Baketball IQ.

And even more worrying than that is the way in this preseason matches coaching staff let young players make mistakes instead of try to maximize their potential and compete.

I don't believe Grizzlies roster is more talented. Just they wanted more. And can be really frustrating if all year long will be like that.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1324 » by Jedzz » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:09 am

Medall21 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Medall21 wrote:If you want to give your best and build a winning culture:

R.Rubio
D.Russell / M.Beasley
A.Edwards
Trade / J.Hernangomez
K.A.Towns / N.Reid

If you want to rebuild for 749th season in a row, finish 14-68 and try to develop players who when they are ready leave for a mega fancy franchise keep the rotation as it is.

I like your tone. However what is the rotation as it is that you refer to. We are closely following this team and most of us can't truly say we know what they will do without any doubts right now.

Thanks for your kind approach! I mean, right now following preseason matches line-ups seems D.Russell / M.Beasley / J.Okogie / J.Layman / K.A.Towns first unit, R.Rubio / A.Edwards / J.Culver / J.Hernangomez / N.Reid second unit. First unit is scary, a lot of talent but 0 Baketball IQ.

And even more worrying than that is the way in this preseason matches coaching staff let young players make mistakes instead of try to maximize their potential and compete.

I don't believe Grizzlies roster is more talented. Just they wanted more. And can be really frustrating if all year long will be like that.
You might have hit the nail on our annual frustation.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,642

Post#1325 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:50 pm

Here was my rotation prediction from a month ago.

Klomp wrote:Russell (30) / Rubio (18)
Beasley (30) / Edwards (12) / Rubio (6)
Okogie (24) / Culver (16) / Edwards (8)
Hernangomez (28) / Layman (20)
Towns (33) / Reid (10) / Davis (5)

Towns (33)
Russell (30)
Beasley (30)
Hernangomez (28)
Okogie (24)
Rubio (24)
Layman (20)
Edwards (20)
Culver (16)
Reid (10)
Davis (5)

Here's how the rotation shook out last night:
Russell 33
Okogie 33
Towns 30
Beasley 27
Rubio 25
Edwards 25
Culver 21
Reid 18
Layman 17
Hernangomez 12

Biggest difference was going away from Layman and Hernangomez, who were struggling. I also believe Okogie shadowing Griffin had partly to do with it. The Reid/Davis indecision was partly because I just didn't have a good feel for it, but last night didn't surprise me. Russell, Rubio and Beasley played 85 of the 96 PG and SG minutes, while I had projected 86 for them.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,272

Post#1326 » by KGdaBom » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:57 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

I really don't believe Blake is anything, but a shadow of his former self and nobody to be concerned about. Maybe they can find this post and put it on their bulletin board.

I just felt like quoting my own post. 6-13 with a huge height advantage. 15 empty points (just kidding no such thing).
Heimdal
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#1327 » by Heimdal » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:29 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I just felt like quoting my own post. 6-13 with a huge height advantage. 15 empty points (just kidding no such thing).

Griffin hates the paint. He turned himself into a jump shooter long ago: much better for his health, career longevity and therefore wallet. So Dwayne Casey's gameplan included Griffin attacking the paint but as things got tough in the 2nd half, he went back to his safe spots around the 3 point line where he was eaten alive by Rubio's perimeter defense.

BTW, the first game reaffirms my rotation going forward:

Rubio Russell Edwards Culver Towns
JMac Beasley Okogie Layman* Reid

*If he's going to be a ghost, try McDaniels. Can't be worse.
post0115
Junior
And1: 35

Post#1328 » by post0115 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:26 pm

Starters: Kat, Naz, Culver, Antman, D-Lo
2nd 5: Juancho, Layman, Okogie, Beasley, Rubio
Finishing 5: Kat, Okogie, Beasley, D-Lo, Rubio
- Ed Davis: When Kat or Naz get into foul trouble

Rotation
- Starters: Kat, Naz, Culver, Antman, D-Lo
- 3 minutes left in Q1: Layman, Rubio, Beasley (for Naz, Culver, D-Lo)
- start q2/q4: 2nd unit - Juancho, Layman, Okogie, Beasley, Rubio
- 5 minutes left in Q2/Q4: Kat, Okogie, Beasley, D-Lo, Rubio

Kat: 34 minutes, D-Lo: 28 minutes, Beasley: 30 minutes, Rubio: 30 minutes, Antman: 24 minutes, Okogie: 24 minutes, Culver: 18 minutes, Naz: 18 minutes, Layman: 20 minutes, Juancho: 14 minutes
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#1329 » by Killboard » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:20 pm

I thought this was interesting when assessing depth:

Read on Twitter
minimus
RealGM
And1: 4,134

Post#1330 » by minimus » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:52 pm

If (and that is a big if) Vando is a future PF next to Towns, what type of player we need at SF? Can Okogie/Culver/Layman/MacDaniels handle this position? Or we need a significant upgrade because Vando is limited in offense?
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,123

Post#1331 » by TheZachAttack » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:32 pm

Some thoughts...

-I actually don’t believe that Rubio, especially the version we have seen, is a better fit for Edwards than D lo.

-The best thing we can give Edwards is as much spacing as possible (similar concept to why Wiggins played better with the extra spacing)

-Start D lo Beasley Edwards at the 1-2-3 and KAT at the 5

-Start whomever you feel is your best defensive 4, guy doesn’t even have to be a good shooter (this could even be Vanderbilt in this situation). This would have been a great RHJ lineup

-Second unit:

Rubio
Okogie
Culver/Layman
Jauncho/Layman
Naz/Vanderbilt

-You’d likely have to try to stagger 1-2 of KAT, Beasley, D lo, or even Edwards to have a shot creator

-Second unit should be all about maximizing defense and just trying to slog it into not being outscored until the starters come back in. Theoretically, Rubio-Culver-Okogie could do that as much as any lineup for the Wolves.

-This gives you an actual identity and plan on attack with both units. 1st unit is space and pace and score lineup. 2nd unit isn’t about trying to still run and gun but play competent defense and let Rubio set up enough players in their spots and run high percentage low turnover offense and hope it’s enough.

-Will we still lose a lot of games? Probably... but this seems like the best option to me
SuperCoolBeas8
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#1332 » by SuperCoolBeas8 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:38 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:Some thoughts...

-I actually don’t believe that Rubio, especially the version we have seen, is a better fit for Edwards than D lo.

-The best thing we can give Edwards is as much spacing as possible (similar concept to why Wiggins played better with the extra spacing)

-Start D lo Beasley Edwards at the 1-2-3 and KAT at the 5

-Start whomever you feel is your best defensive 4, guy doesn’t even have to be a good shooter (this could even be Vanderbilt in this situation). This would have been a great RHJ lineup

-Second unit:

Rubio
Okogie
Culver/Layman
Jauncho/Layman
Naz/Vanderbilt

-You’d likely have to try to stagger 1-2 of KAT, Beasley, D lo, or even Edwards to have a shot creator

-Second unit should be all about maximizing defense and just trying to slog it into not being outscored until the starters come back in. Theoretically, Rubio-Culver-Okogie could do that as much as any lineup for the Wolves.

-This gives you an actual identity and plan on attack with both units. 1st unit is space and pace and score lineup. 2nd unit isn’t about trying to still run and gun but play competent defense and let Rubio set up enough players in their spots and run high percentage low turnover offense and hope it’s enough.

-Will we still lose a lot of games? Probably... but this seems like the best option to me

Nailed it.

For now Naz at C, Vandy at PF, Ed Davis Backup C.

We can’t play small ball against Jokic, Nurkic or Lamarcus Aldridge.

@RyanSaunders!!!!!

P.S: Use your GD TO’s to stop these 15-0 runs. Cut them in half and regroup. That’s what they’re there for. Especially in the First Half. Nobody effectively uses their TO’s in the First Half.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,933

Post#1333 » by Krapinsky » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:58 am

I think the cure to the Wolves PF problem is to start Naz there. He can stretch the floor and adds some toughness. Towns is used to playing with another 5 and played well with Dieng for long spurts.

Russell-Beasley-Ookogie-Naz-Towns should be starters.

Rubio-Culver-Edwards-Vanderbilt to round out the rotation.

Davis or Juancho as big depth depending on match ups.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#1334 » by packforfreedom » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:36 am

I think Naz is too slow footed to play PF. But anybody is better than Herni I guess.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1335 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:14 am

packforfreedom wrote:I think Naz is too slow footed to play PF. But anybody is better than Herni I guess.

have you not seen him beating both teams to the other end before? He's done it so often this season alreay making a defensive stop on one end and then scoring on the other end somehow on a fast break or being the second man at the net for a quick dish. How does that happen to a slow foot? It doesnt. he's also been big on the put backs this season, he's got quick reactions.

My only real concern with Reid is that he does seem to peter out when starting. He plays hard on both ends and when starting I've seen his play drop off compared to coming off bench. When he gets tired his shot loses arc, he stops setting his feet for shots. Starts getting a little wild around the net. I think he could handle the 4 if it wasn't long rotations.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1336 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:24 am

What I want to know is when Rosas plans to get serious. Is he working on it now, or is he on some kind of 3 or 5 year plan and just going through the season motions until then? Because if he's serious about building a team with Towns/Dlo, then stop messing around with Culver and Edwards and move one or both of them already. I don't know how anyone can look at what Beasley is showing and say they don't want that kind of player longterm. The shooting skill, the other offensive action he's producing now, the constant efforts and energy. if you can buy into that you've got three starters and you are just missing a starting SF/wing and PF. They can keep playing small ball at times but this league and its teams have gotten a lot larger and they will need a second big for those games. Even if it's not for every game.

Lakers didn't play all their bigs last year in every game. They used them when the matchup demanded it or when it gave them leverage. This 10 guards thing with 2.5 bigs on the roster depth doesn't cut it. it's not even conducive for your guards. Maybe he had larger plans for players like Juancho and Layman. But they haven't shown that ability this year. I know I expected more from them as well. But they just aren't offering more this year it seems. I think they might really be struggling with the size of some of our opponents.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1337 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:01 am

Should they bring in Boban to help Towns get some perspective and be willing to play some 4 here for 12-14 minutes/g?

Boban could put Rosas in the palm of his hand during events so Rosas could get naps.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1338 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:19 pm

Jedzz wrote:Should they bring in Boban to help Towns get some perspective and be willing to play some 4 here for 12-14 minutes/g?

Boban could put Rosas in the palm of his hand during events so Rosas could get naps.

If Davis was a Wolves player....

"Wow, Davis is garbage being bullied by a scrub like Boban"

(not you Jedzz, speaking in general)
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,330

Post#1339 » by _AIJ_ » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:21 pm

Start Jmac at PF! He is raw but he can defend and score. He hustles a lot too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1340 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:17 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:Start Jmac at PF! He is raw but he can defend and score. He hustles a lot too!

A 5-foot-11 PF? That's taking Rosas ball to a new extreme.....

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves