Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

SMitch fate poll

Fire the clueless baffoon asap before more damage is done
41%
Let him stay till summer and find a good replacement
50%
The guy has potential, I don't mind him staying long term
6%
In Glenn Taylor we trust (fully and unconditionally)
3%

Total votes: 129

Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Re: Fire SMitch thread 

Post#1401 » by Krapinsky » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:04 am

Feel bad for Sam... hard not to root for the guy after what he had to go through last offseason and this season.

Let's just hope we can get Thibs or Blatt now.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,901

Post#1402 » by Calinks » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:15 am

I think its def BS if they wont even give him a chance in the search. Only reason I think it would make sense at this point is if there was some agreement that he would not get a crack at the HC position before hand. That's like some company calling you in to take over a huge position at a firm, you come in and do well, keep the company afloat and they just say thanks and show you the door after your tenure. You got to give the guy a shot to plead his case.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#1403 » by Nitroglycerin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:18 am

Really odd he is not in the mix. Maybe Papa Glen promised him a different job?
Trust the PRosas!
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#1404 » by King Malta » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:01 am

Calinks wrote:I think its def BS if they wont even give him a chance in the search. Only reason I think it would make sense at this point is if there was some agreement that he would not get a crack at the HC position before hand. That's like some company calling you in to take over a huge position at a firm, you come in and do well, keep the company afloat and they just say thanks and show you the door after your tenure. You got to give the guy a shot to plead his case.

Yeah, regardless of who you actually want us to hire (Thibs please), it's rough for them to not even give him a chance in my opinion.
Martim_2008
Freshman
And1: 52

Post#1405 » by Martim_2008 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:11 am

The team didn't really improve. We were 8-8 to start the year, and we're around .500 since Sam got out of the way and started LaVine. Our players deserve credit for getting better, but Sam is to blame for our terrible record.

Sam started the year with Tayshaun at SF and Wiggins at SG. Sam finally admitted this was a failing strategy, and decided to start Martin at SG, with equally dismal results. With the season on life-support, instead of going to Zach he went back to Tayshaun. The season was dead. When he finally decided to put in his starting SG it was with the unheard-of strategy of "rotating starters". Mercifully Sam abandoned that idiocy after a week.

Sam had his chance. He inherited an insanely talented group of hard-working players who should be in the playoffs this year. Sam destroyed the confidence of Shabazz, Bjelica, and Zach at different points in the year, and got career-worst seasons out of Kevin Martin, Andre Miller, and Tayshaun; all the while yelling at his players, and showing his contempt for fans and the media. This roster will attract any number of NBA coaches looking for Championship rings and perhaps induction into the coaching hall of fame. I still respect Sam as a former player, but the sooner we get him away from our players the better.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,844

Post#1406 » by C.lupus » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:18 am

I'm not sure I would include Brooks and Ollie in the "Big Splash" group but I'm glad Glen is doing a real search for a big name coach.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,724

Post#1407 » by guest81 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:28 am

Calinks wrote:I think its def BS if they wont even give him a chance in the search. Only reason I think it would make sense at this point is if there was some agreement that he would not get a crack at the HC position before hand. That's like some company calling you in to take over a huge position at a firm, you come in and do well, keep the company afloat and they just say thanks and show you the door after your tenure. You got to give the guy a shot to plead his case.

Saying Sam came in and did well might be something we disagree on
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,724

Post#1408 » by guest81 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:29 am

King Malta wrote:

Yeah, regardless of who you actually want us to hire (Thibs please), it's rough for them to not even give him a chance in my opinion.

He's had a whole season worth of a chance. I don't see how he would be getting shafted in anyway
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,278

Post#1409 » by Domejandro » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:36 am

I am likely Sam's biggest critic, and still think he is a dreadful head-coach, but he was a class act in that interview. Once he finally played Zach LaVine at the proper position, he finished off the season right. I hope he gets a shot as an assistant with the team, he deserves that opportunity.
FargoWolf
Pro Prospect
And1: 395

Post#1410 » by FargoWolf » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:40 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/720437996281946113[/tweet]
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#1411 » by ace625214 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:38 am

Damn. Mitchell already "relieved" of his position. They didn't mess around. I guess we can lock this thread up?
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#1412 » by Nitroglycerin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:39 am

Well looks like Sam is not coming back. Should lock this or rename to a Sam Appreciation Thread
Trust the PRosas!
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#1413 » by King Malta » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:40 am

And he's gone.

As I said in the game thread, bad coach, good coach, average coach, whatever, he's contributed a lot to this franchise in many different roles.

Thanks Sam, and good luck mate.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,247

Post#1414 » by Murphs56 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:44 am

Pretty shocking how this all went down. The Press release tonight immediately after the game. I know it's what was needed but I feel for Sam. I was hoping he would at least have the chance to interview. Just looks like he's relieved, and that's the end.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#1415 » by ace625214 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:46 am

I feel like with the timing of this, the team knew it going into the game. Could explain the performance they put on.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,247

Post#1416 » by Murphs56 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:47 am

It's very un-Glen like. That Kahn fiasco must have really got to him lol
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,680

Post#1417 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:51 am

Time to put it to bed. So long, Samuel.

EDIT: On second thought. I'll keep er open.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 769

Re: Fire SMitch thread (Glen agrees, pg 71) 

Post#1418 » by karch34 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:14 am

I don't think I ever commented on Sam.

Part of it is I loved him as a player and that skews things. I don't think KG makes the playoffs as quick as he did without Mitchell and Porter coming in. 2nd Wolves playoff game ever and Kevin Willis throws a cheap shot at KG, then Mitchell comes over and decks Willis and gets thrown out. Getting everyone to chant "Willis Sucks" game 3 everytime he touches the ball is one of my great memories (and that game is the best Timberwolves loss in franchise history...check out the box score vs. 3 all time greats).

I don't envy the situation he came into. Yes, head coach in the NBA is an honor few ever get and he was fortunate to have a couple of amazing young players. But while he was part of Flip's staff, this wasn't ever his team in the way that other coaches get to shape one.

I think he deserves credit for some players development and criticism for others. That said can you say definitively Lavine develops like he did without Sam on him early, that Jones who took awhile his freshman year at Duke to develop does it quicker under a different game plan, or that Bejelica's games to close out the year would've happened sooner under a different approach? Maybe. Maybe not. Can we be sure that this wasn't Flip's plan for development that Sam was following? I don't know, but even Marbury didn't start to begin the season.

Did I disagree with his decisions at times? Yes.

My final thought is he's a classy guy and I hope he sticks with the organization in some capacity. I don't think he was the guy to lead us to a championship though.

As far as next head coach, I like Thibs but not sure we're not at the point where we're ready for him. I like Blatt and Joerger a lot. I actually think Ollie is a good candidate. I don't think Brooks is and I'm afraid we might have a top 3 list of Brooks, McHale, and Wittman.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,600

Post#1419 » by Takingbaconback » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:17 am

Scott Brooks and Wittman are the two horrible hires. Wolves have such a bright future, they should be getting first or second pick of any coach out there.

Joerger would be my favorite option but he would have to be fired or traded by Grizzlies right?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#1420 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:18 am

So fast...feels...kinda dirty

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves