ImageImageImage

Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Would you trade the #17 pick for Aaron Gordon?

Yes, trade makes sense for both teams
66%
No, just draft another rookie instead
34%

Total votes: 41

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,255

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#161 » by Neeva » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:24 pm

Wolves should stay at 17 and draft Maxey or Terry and get a cheaper vet pf in free agency OR use 17(and extra) to trade up for a PF of the future like Okongwu. NO to overated Gordon.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 843

Post#162 » by UnFadeable21 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:35 pm

Rookie-Mistake wrote:Here we go again... And again.. and again..
UnFadeable21 wrote:Draft Lamelo

Trade 17, Johnson, Spellman for Aaron Gordon

Lamelo 6’7
DLo 6’5
Layman 6’8
Aaron Gordon 6’9
Towns 7’0

That team can score, defend and run. DLo and Lamelo handle the ball. Lamelo and AG cut, run the floor and defend. Towns first offensive option.

We are making the playoffs

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Even Orlando Magic know they gotta move Gordon or be stuck in the middle and getting crushed in the first round is their ceiling and future. They need to clear their books for 2021.
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,222

Post#163 » by Shaka_Zulu » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:37 pm

I have very little knowledge of the draft class, especially outside top 10, but from the clips I seen, the nr 1 guy I want at 17 is Saddiq Bey. He just looks PERFECT for everything we need. I rather get a big wing who can defend, shoot 3s, is really athletic, over another guard that might be backup to Russell and Beasley. Tho I know very little of those names so I trust your judgement on them being worth it. Thinking more of best possible fix for our wing needs.

But I'm with you on not giving up too much for Gordon, and finding BPA at 17 instead.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#164 » by UnFadeable21 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:38 pm

Neeva wrote:Wolves should stay at 17 and draft Maxey or Terry and get a cheaper vet pf in free agency OR use 17(and extra) to trade up for a PF of the future like Okongwu. NO to overated Gordon.

Aaron Gordon averaged 15.4 points, 9.1 rebounds and 6.8 assists per game while shooting 47.7-percent from the floor after the All-Star Break.

We’re not asking him to come save the season for the Wolves. We need guys who can play certain roles for the Wolves. Defense, rebounding, and energy with the ability to switch from 2-5.

Like Grant playing next to Jokic, like Gordon playing next to Towns.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,440

Post#165 » by shrink » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:48 am

Wait - who is this “Aaron Gordon” and how come I’ve never heard of him?
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Post#166 » by Dewey » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:50 am

shrink wrote:Wait - who is this “Aaron Gordon” and how come I’ve never heard of him?

Magic Man!!

We will start the season with...

DLo ... Jones
Beasley ... Culver
Avdija ... Layman
Gordon ... Vanderbilt
KAT ... Reid

Not the impact player we hope to get with the #1 but we will add a future #1 moving down. JJ/Okogie/#17 <> AG
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#167 » by andyhop » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:08 pm

The Wolves ideally need two things from their roleplayers 3pt shooting and defense , Gordon doesn't provide either
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#168 » by minimus » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:41 pm

andyhop wrote:The Wolves ideally need two things from their roleplayers 3pt shooting and defense , Gordon doesn't provide either

Gersson Rosas on the hardest skills to develop:
Playmaking: "That's such a special skill that's so connected to IQ and feel that most guys either have that or they don't", Defense and Passion "One of the things I'm most sensitive to is guys who are not passionate about the game"

Gordon is the best available big wing playmaker and defender by far. But people continues to consider him as **** player.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#169 » by andyhop » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:46 pm

minimus wrote:
Gordon is the best available big wing playmaker and defender by far. But people continues to consider him as **** player.

He is a mediocre to be generous 3 point shooter and isn't a good defender.

No idea where the idea he was a good defender came from
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
minimus
RealGM

Post#170 » by minimus » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:07 pm

andyhop wrote:
minimus wrote:

He is a good, versatile, athletic defender. He is not elite, but solid. ORL had 8th drtg last year and 11th this year with him, Isaac and Vuc(bad defender). If we can get him #17 pick then the price is right. As for his shooting, he is streaky, but it mostly depends on position he plays, when he plays at PF and has room to operate, he shoots well. But he is an elite rim runner, above average passer for his position, solid rebounder, maybe the fastest PF in transition. And most important, Gordon is an ideal fit in our system, which is combination of "five-out", "rake and take" = whoever is on the glass rakes the rebound and takes it up the floor themselves.

Rosas witnessed a few trends emerge among the teams that have been the most successful in the playoffs – such as playing multiple ball-handlers at the same time as well as playing a versatile talent at the five – trends that he believes Vanderbilt fits into nicely. Rosas stated that, ideally, Vanderbilt can function out of three positions when on the court and possesses a switchability that is highly valuable to a team’s defense. He’s also a big fan of Vanderbilt’s speed.

“Our ability, offensively, to really play fast when you have a guy at that spot who’s able to get up and down the floor as fast as he can really changes the ability of those units and those groups to get up and down the floor. “

But fans continue to miss context, ignoring fit, different system and players skillset. It is not that difficult to see what the difference of MIN offense built around KAT-DLo and ORL offense built around Vuc+Fournier
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#171 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:34 pm

andyhop wrote:
minimus wrote:

I think I remember looking at his teams defense when hes on/off court and the numbers agreed with you on what he brings to defense. But I don't remember if I was just looking at this past season or more so don't quote me as a fact.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#172 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:49 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:I have very little knowledge of the draft class, especially outside top 10, but from the clips I seen, the nr 1 guy I want at 17 is Saddiq Bey. He just looks PERFECT for everything we need. I rather get a big wing who can defend, shoot 3s, is really athletic, over another guard that might be backup to Russell and Beasley. Tho I know very little of those names so I trust your judgement on them being worth it. Thinking more of best possible fix for our wing needs.

But I'm with you on not giving up too much for Gordon, and finding BPA at 17 instead.

I'm with you on S. Bey. I honestly am tired of these drafts that inflate the unknown more than the proven. I would be excited to walk out of this draft with a number of these larger wings and forwards that can shoot and be useful on D.
shrink
RealGM

Post#173 » by shrink » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:56 pm

I think he’s a slightly above average defender. Unfortunately, he gets overhyped about this by ORL fans here like, “two years ago he should have made second team all defense but was robbed,” or “see, he has to play out of position, but he’s still elite!” For me, he’s better than what we have, and he could be mobile, but that doesn’t elevate him too high on defense.

However, for me, it’s all a moot point. He needed a good final month to avoid ending the season with a three point percentage in the 20’s. We have seen how players that don’t get covered at the line hurt us offensively, when defenders stay back and remove lanes to the hoop. This is especially important from our PF, because it allows opponents to play a good big who doesn’t have range to defend to the perimeter. We simply can’t neuter the biggest advantage KAT’s gives us - mismatches - by creating options for opposing coaches. Our PF needs to be a credible three point shooter, and Gordon is not.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#174 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:06 pm

shrink wrote:I think he’s a slightly above average defender. Unfortunately, he gets overhyped about this by ORL fans here like, “two years ago he should have made second team all defense but was robbed,” or “see, he has to play out of position, but he’s still elite!” For me, he’s better than what we have, and he could be mobile, but that doesn’t elevate him too high on defense.

However, for me, it’s all a moot point. He needed a good final month to avoid ending the season with a three point percentage in the 20’s. We have seen how players that don’t get covered at the line hurt us offensively, when defenders stay back and remove lanes to the hoop. This is especially important from our PF, because it allows opponents to play a good big who doesn’t have range to defend to the perimeter. We simply can’t neuter the biggest advantage KAT’s gives us - mismatches - by creating options for opposing coaches. Our PF needs to be a credible three point shooter, and Gordon is not.

Gordon shot 31% from 3 last season, 35% the year before.

I think he’s fine, we don’t need him to be a 40% 3pt shooter. We just need rebounding, defense, and energy from the 4 spot.

When you have a guy who is a great shooter at the 4, then those guys don’t play defense like Danillo, Lauri; Saric etc.
minimus
RealGM

Post#175 » by minimus » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:09 pm

shrink wrote:We have seen how players that don’t get covered at the line hurt us offensively, when defenders stay back and remove lanes to the hoop. This is especially important from our PF, because it allows opponents to play a good big who doesn’t have range to defend to the perimeter. We simply can’t neuter the biggest advantage KAT’s gives us - mismatches - by creating options for opposing coaches. Our PF needs to be a credible three point shooter, and Gordon is not.

This statement is not accurate, because it is incomplete. Our PF needs to be a dynamic player in offense. He either should be able to shoot 3s or slash/finish at rim/pass/rebound.

James Johnsons career average 3PT % is 31%. Yet he is an excellent fit at PF. Because he can dribble, pass, slash, rebound and shoot 3s. Vanderbilt gets a lot of praises recently, because he can run, pass, rebound. He cant shoot NBA 3s at all. However, despite being non shooter, Vanderbilt was scouted and targeted by our FO in DEN trade. Why? Because he can impact game from PF spot by bringing this dynamic. Gordon is career 31.9% 3pt shooter. He is a dynamic force in offense. And he is 25yo. Again 25yo. For instance, Siakam is 26yo. Gordon is an excellent fit in our offense. However, I can see one scenario, where we cannot afford having a bad shooter Gordon at PF. It might happen if we have bad shooters at SF AND SG position at the same time. Remember last year situation when KAT was on the floor with Graham-RoCo-Wiggins-Teague. Multiple bad shooters and bad passers at the same time. Same story was with ORL where most used lineup in 2019-20 was Vuc-Isaac-Gordon-Fournier-Fultz/Augistine. Hopefully, we can keep Beasley, Juancho and JMac which gives us a solid group of 3pt shooters.

One last thing, Gordon will earn 18 mil and 16 mil next two years. His contract is another reason why I'm advocating for him. He is good, young player with potential on a tradable contract.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,467

Post#176 » by Baseline81 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:56 pm

I will say, at some point, the Wolves do have to try winning games. Otherwise, Towns will demand a trade, much like Davis did in New Orleans. And that's regardless of him being under contract for another four years.

I look at the roster today and do not see a starting PF. I'm not saying Gordon is the player to target...
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#177 » by old school 34 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:04 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
shrink wrote:I think he’s a slightly above average defender. Unfortunately, he gets overhyped about this by ORL fans here like, “two years ago he should have made second team all defense but was robbed,” or “see, he has to play out of position, but he’s still elite!” For me, he’s better than what we have, and he could be mobile, but that doesn’t elevate him too high on defense.

I think he’s fine, we don’t need him to be a 40% 3pt shooter. We just need rebounding, defense, and energy from the 4 spot.

When you have a guy who is a great shooter at the 4, then those guys don’t play defense like Danillo, Lauri; Saric etc.
And if they do both...they're typically not available.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#178 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:19 pm

old school 34 wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:

And if they do both...they're typically not available.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

Yup there’s no perfect fit especially for a mid market team like MN.

It’s about finding the solid role players to surround our two max guys. We have 2 years to start winning before Towns asked out.

Start now and show that we’re serious.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Post#179 » by Dewey » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:25 pm

I’ll admit I’ve badgered some discussion here on Aaron Gordon... This is how I see it: if we ever did trade for him using #17/filler , we need to simply view him as a placeholder at PF - not a star. That’s all that transaction is intended to achieve. Anything more would be considered gravy.

I see zero risk but maybe I just have a different perception of what this trade example would accomplish for the team this next season ... diverse stop gap
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
shrink
RealGM

Post#180 » by shrink » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:55 pm

minimus wrote:
shrink wrote:We have seen how players that don’t get covered at the line hurt us offensively, when defenders stay back and remove lanes to the hoop. This is especially important from our PF, because it allows opponents to play a good big who doesn’t have range to defend to the perimeter. We simply can’t neuter the biggest advantage KAT’s gives us - mismatches - by creating options for opposing coaches. Our PF needs to be a credible three point shooter, and Gordon is not.

This statement is not accurate, because it is incomplete. Our PF needs to be a dynamic player in offense. He either should be able to shoot 3s or slash/finish at rim/pass/rebound.

I think we’ll just have to disagree. :thumbsup:

We had slashers who couldn’t hit three’s at the beginning of last season. Heck, Wiggins is a better three point shooter and an even more athletic slasher - and both have inadequate handles. But we saw without the three point shooting, from him and others, the defenses just packed down after two weeks, and got rid of his lanes to the basket.

I think he needs to shoot three’s, and be able to run. A perfect compliment would be able to defend, and that’s what we should search for. I want to see more games where Rudy Gobert gets pulled out to defend to the three point line, because both our PF and C can shoot three’s.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves