ImageImageImage

Identity crisis?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Re: Identity crisis? 

Post#161 » by minimus » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:02 am

Last season we were pretty bad at scoring in cuts. For instance, DEN had six(!!!) guys who scored over 1.4 PPP in such situations. MIN had only MCD and Edwards who scored over 1.4 PPP. I wonder whether it can be improved with more chemistry and whether NAW, Brown and Milton can be better than Prince, Nowell and Rivers in this regard. Our new additions are more athletic, but they also are better at shooting threes. This combination might open opportunities for easy points generated by ball movement, spacing and off ball movement. Also Towns had down year as cutter, I hope this year we will see less Towns/Gobert postups, more Ant and MCD postups, more ball movement, double drag screens, split, horns actions etc., more cuts, empty side pick-n-rolls.

Read on Twitter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,706

Post#162 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:50 am

I feel like we definitely figured something out late in the season...

Towns and Reid were both scoring at a crazy high per-minute rate at the end of the year, and a lot of their scoring plays started with them attacking from the middle of the court - coming into the play as the trailer, high pick and roll actions, pick and pops turned to pump and drives, etc. It's not the only spot they were effective, but it's arguably where they're both at their best. That's something to build off of...

From there, Ant, Jaden, Mike and others usually fill in on the wings or in the corner, and Rudy is often parked along the baseline if he's not involved in a screening action.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM

Post#163 » by minimus » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:55 am

Read on Twitter

A bit info more to this topic: according to passing wheel Towns had 102 passes to Gobert, which resulted to 29 assists. Towns only played 29 games, which means that he assisted Gobert for a goal one time every game. Not all of them are alleyoops, but almost every attempt was an alleyoop. If Towns played 82 games it would result in circa 82 assists to Gobert, would certainly belong to this list of most potent alleyoop duos. However, the big question is efficiency, Gobert scored with 29/52 55.8% on such attempts, plus Towns had multiple turnovers.

To sum up: we saw good intention to feed Gobert, but it was not efficient, many attempts were forced. Hopefully they will figure out it.

https://perthirtysix.com/nba/team-passes
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,784

Post#164 » by TimberKat » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:07 pm

minimus wrote:A bit info more to this topic: according to passing wheel Towns had 102 passes to Gobert, which resulted to 29 assists. Towns only played 29 games, which means that he assisted Gobert for a goal one time every game. Not all of them are alleyoops, but almost every attempt was an alleyoop. If Towns played 82 games it would result in circa 82 assists to Gobert, would certainly belong to this list of most potent alleyoop duos. However, the big question is efficiency, Gobert scored with 29/52 55.8% on such attempts, plus Towns had multiple turnovers.

To sum up: we saw good intention to feed Gobert, but it was not efficient, many attempts were forced. Hopefully they will figure out it.

I seem to remember the original article was about we potentially had a good pairing with Towns and Gobert. What is the 29/52 represent? Is the 29 the times Gobert scored (the assists)? What is the 52?
minimus
RealGM

Post#165 » by minimus » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:49 pm

TimberKat wrote:
minimus wrote:A bit info more to this topic: according to passing wheel Towns had 102 passes to Gobert, which resulted to 29 assists. Towns only played 29 games, which means that he assisted Gobert for a goal one time every game. Not all of them are alleyoops, but almost every attempt was an alleyoop. If Towns played 82 games it would result in circa 82 assists to Gobert, would certainly belong to this list of most potent alleyoop duos. However, the big question is efficiency, Gobert scored with 29/52 55.8% on such attempts, plus Towns had multiple turnovers.

I seem to remember the original article was about we potentially had a good pairing with Towns and Gobert. What is the 29/52 represent? Is the 29 the times Gobert scored (the assists)? What is the 52?

29 goals on 52 attempts.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#166 » by Klomp » Tue Aug 1, 2023 12:17 am

Klomp wrote:I feel like we definitely figured something out late in the season...

Towns and Reid were both scoring at a crazy high per-minute rate at the end of the year, and a lot of their scoring plays started with them attacking from the middle of the court - coming into the play as the trailer, high pick and roll actions, pick and pops turned to pump and drives, etc. It's not the only spot they were effective, but it's arguably where they're both at their best. That's something to build off of...

This is a little of what I was referring to:

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

TimberKat
Analyst

Post#167 » by TimberKat » Tue Aug 1, 2023 2:40 am

minimus wrote:
TimberKat wrote:

29 goals on 52 attempts.

I was confused by the Towns had 102 passes to Gobert statement. So the stats is Towns throw appx 52 lob passes to Gobert. 29 times it was converted to scores. Something doesn't seem right consider Gobert's fg% is 65.9 last year. What did Gobert do on the 23 times? He missed, turnover, pass it out? What is the avg conversation rate of alleyoops?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#168 » by Klomp » Tue Aug 1, 2023 2:48 am

TimberKat
Analyst

Post#169 » by TimberKat » Tue Aug 1, 2023 3:29 am

Klomp wrote:

Do we really collect this stuff :D ? Do we have the ones they missed :D ? I am really more concern about Ant passing to Gobert instead of Towns passing to Gobert. Do want to see more Towns post up next year too.
minimus
RealGM

Post#170 » by minimus » Tue Aug 1, 2023 8:32 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Post ASB Conley stats:

In 11 wins: 16.8PPG, 53.5% FG, 47.6% 3PT
In 10 loses: 13.1PPG, 40% FG, 38.7% 3PT

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/201144/traditional?SeasonSegment=Post+All-Star

In 5 playoff games: 12PPG, 47% FG, 45% 3PT

In other words, in every win Conley shot the ball exceptionally well. This is a very underrated impact that Conley has in this team. Obviously a small sample size, but the question that I have is following: why he has been such a good 3pt shooter for us? Because as shooter he has unique for our roster combination of following skills:

- he has very quick release, he has two different releases a quick one pull up and more traditional slower release
- he is a good pullup shooter
- he knows how to use screens to create pullup 3s opportunity
- he knows how to make himself available in corners for open 3pt opportunities, this particularly important because Towns likes and knows how to operate as five-out big

Our current starting lineup does not have a dedicated shooter, many including me wanted to see Towns taking 8-9 threes like he did in 2019-20 season, but it have not happened yet. Towns also was awful from corners making only 3/19 from wings. Instead part of workload as 3pt shooter carried Conley. Many including me had high hopes for Nowell who on paper could have fill void as pull-up 3pt shooter but he failed.

Conley success as shooter gives me another reason to be seriously concerned about his future successor at PG. Because in addition to already evident status as the best in game decision maker, solid defender, ball handler and passer, he also has huge impact as shooter. There is not any other MIN player who can even remotely replace Conley production. But I see a few possible workarounds:

- MCD has shown a lot of progress as shooter and passer. At the moment is not scorer, but he is developing in right direction
- Troy Brown can be that C&S shooter from corners (37% from left wing, 43% from right wing)
- Milton can be that C&S shooter from above the break 3 - 42%
- NAW can hit from above the break 3 - 39%, he also can a little more than only C&S threes

To sum up: replacing Conley wont be easy. He is a perfect PG for us AND a perfect shooter for us. But we can make the transition easier, first way is the most obvious - by developing young players such as Edwards, MCD, NAW. Second way is by adding an elite shooter.

P.S. I find interesting the fact that on his workout videos Towns was practicing that dynamic 3pt shots.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#171 » by Klomp » Tue Aug 1, 2023 9:10 pm

minimus wrote:Post ASB Conley stats:

In other words, in every win Conley shot the ball exceptionally well. This is a very underrated impact that Conley has in this team. Obviously a small sample size, but the question that I have is following: why he has been such a good 3pt shooter for us? Because as shooter he has unique for our roster combination of following skills:

- he has very quick release, he has two different releases a quick one pull up and more traditional slower release
- he knows how to make himself available in corners for open 3pt opportunities, this particularly important because Towns likes and knows how to operate as five-out big

What is the closest thing he's ever had to an Ant-level offensive player that he could play off of....Rudy Gay? Having someone with the gravity of Ant makes it easy to play off of him.

minimus
RealGM

Post#172 » by minimus » Tue Aug 1, 2023 9:46 pm

Klomp wrote:

What is the closest thing he's ever had to an Ant-level offensive player that he could play off of....Rudy Gay? Having someone with the gravity of Ant makes it easy to play off of him.

Speaking strictly about offense in particular shooting: Donovan Mitchell, Bogdanovic, Jordan Clarkson?
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,598

Post#173 » by younggunsmn » Tue Aug 1, 2023 10:03 pm

Klomp wrote:

There was this guy named Donovan Mitchell who is an almost perfect comparison for Ant.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,598

Post#174 » by younggunsmn » Tue Aug 1, 2023 10:09 pm

Conley is the perfect glue guy, but even a guy like him isn't going to be able to steer the ship alone.

It's on KAT to make better decisions and keep his composure, Ant to take better shots, Rudy to quit turning the ball over and make a quick decision when he gets it. If those things don't happen, I don't see this season turning out any better than the last one.

When those guys aren't making the smart plays is when we need a guy like mike to take over and start calling plays to get us better shots.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#175 » by TimberKat » Tue Aug 1, 2023 10:21 pm

younggunsmn wrote:
Klomp wrote:

There was this guy named Donovan Mitchell who is an almost perfect comparison for Ant.

Quote from Mitchell from an article in April 22 about him not passing to Gobert enough: Mitchell responded by acknowledging that while it is a “wild stat”. the Jazz possess the league's number-one offense while he and Gobert are the most efficient pick-and-roll combination in the NBA.

So, can Ant/Gobert get to that level?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#176 » by Klomp » Tue Aug 1, 2023 10:47 pm

younggunsmn wrote:
Klomp wrote:What is the closest thing he's ever had to an Ant-level offensive player that he could play off of....Rudy Gay? Having someone with the gravity of Ant makes it easy to play off of him.

Geez, 1000% brain fart there wow

minimus
RealGM

Post#177 » by minimus » Wed Aug 2, 2023 9:20 am

Another thing about Conley and our PG position. I was one who was really excited about DLo for Conley, NAW, three SRP trade. But DLo was absolutely cooking before trade in Dec, Jan: 20ppg, 5.8apg on 49/43/90. I am the one who completely forgot this fact by the end of the season. Now re-watching end of the season games I find interesting that BOTH DLo and Conley filled big team void as shooters. I look at this as team construction factor: we need a shooter to be successful. On many levels an elite shooter can unlock full potential on this roster:

- note how DLo used Gobert screens to create open threes opportunities
- note how DLo moves without the ball, making himself available after all screens in the paint
- note how DLo puts defender in cage after manipulating PnRs

Who except Conley can do this in current roster on regular basis?

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Post#178 » by Dewey » Wed Aug 2, 2023 11:44 am

minimus wrote:Another thing about Conley and our PG position. I was one who was really excited about DLo for Conley, NAW, three SRP trade. But DLo was absolutely cooking before trade in Dec, Jan: 20ppg, 5.8apg on 49/43/90. I am the one who completely forgot this fact by the end of the season. Now re-watching end of the season games I find interesting that BOTH DLo and Conley filled big team void as shooters. I look at this as team construction factor: we need a shooter to be successful. On many levels an elite shooter can unlock full potential on this roster:

- note how DLo used Gobert screens to create open threes opportunities
- note how DLo moves without the ball, making himself available after all screens in the paint
- note how DLo puts defender in cage after manipulating PnRs

Who except Conley can do this in current roster on regular basis?

All in all, DLo simply is not a winning basketball player. There’s a reason he’s gone around the horn. Connelly is not as talented as DLo but still a better basketball player. Hope DLo does well elsewhere, but glad he’s (and Beasley) gone.

We do need a shooter on this squad … but he also needs to be a good basketball player.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
minimus
RealGM

Post#179 » by minimus » Wed Aug 2, 2023 11:49 am

Dewey wrote:All in all, DLo simply is not a winning basketball player. There’s a reason he’s gone around the horn. Connelly is not as talented as DLo but still a better basketball player. Hope DLo does well elsewhere, but glad he’s (and Beasley) gone.

We do need a shooter on this squad … but he also needs to be a good basketball player.

I completely agree. My post was not about DLo vs Conley. I think it is pretty obvious the difference between DLo and Conley, or Beasley vs NAW. It is more about our roster construction and player roles/functions.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#180 » by TimberKat » Wed Aug 2, 2023 1:35 pm

minimus wrote:
Dewey wrote:All in all, DLo simply is not a winning basketball player. There’s a reason he’s gone around the horn. Connelly is not as talented as DLo but still a better basketball player. Hope DLo does well elsewhere, but glad he’s (and Beasley) gone.

I completely agree. My post was not about DLo vs Conley. I think it is pretty obvious the difference between DLo and Conley, or Beasley vs NAW. It is more about our roster construction and player roles/functions.

Yes, we are missing that "good DLo" player on this team. Hopefully, Milton will fill that. Danny Green in free agent market or trade in mid season. I won't use Towns to get it (at least not now anyway).

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves