ImageImageImage

The Official Leonard Miller Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,272

Re: The Official Leonard Miller Thread 

Post#161 » by KGdaBom » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:39 pm

I'm going to try to figure out how to create a poll. The question will be is Leonard Miller ready for the big team right now? I know I've seen the option before, but now I'm not seeing it.
Edit: I figured it out.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,652

Post#162 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:24 pm

I had been a little down on him over the course of the season regarding his place with the franchise, so this was reassuring to read last night.

Read on Twitter

Chris Finch on Leonard Miller's progression this season:

“Like most rookies, his first day of training camp his head was spinning. Everything is moving fast. He’s trying to learn and catch up and once he has an understanding of what we’re trying to do, the game kind of slows down for him a little bit, so that’s definitely different. But what we like about Leonard is he’s fearless. He comes in, he just makes basketball plays. He’s kind of just hooping out there right now. But he can do a little bit of everything. He can playmake, he can knock down enough shots, he’s got a nose for the ball on both ends of the floor. THat’s what we loved about him in the draft, and it’s held true right now. So we’ve got to just keep polishing him up and keep getting better with his understanding and everything like that and try to figure out who he is best. But the raw materials are pretty intriguing.”
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 4,134

Post#163 » by minimus » Fri Jul 5, 2024 9:33 am

After one year I still struggle to find a right comparison for him.

A year ago at NBA combine Leonard Miller was 6'10, 211lbs and a 7-foot-2 wingspan, 37 inch maximum vertical. He has ideal comboforward size. But he also lacks body control and his footwork while shooting is weird at best. His shooting form and footwork looks better now, but can he defend PF/SF? Can he rebound? Can he pass? Can he dribble? Summer league games will be a huge opportunity for him.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#164 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 5, 2024 3:47 pm

minimus wrote:After one year I still struggle to find a right comparison for him.

A year ago at NBA combine Leonard Miller was 6'10, 211lbs and a 7-foot-2 wingspan, 37 inch maximum vertical. He has ideal comboforward size. But he also lacks body control and his footwork while shooting is weird at best. His shooting form and footwork looks better now, but can he defend PF/SF? Can he rebound? Can he pass? Can he dribble? Summer league games will be a huge opportunity for him.

It will be interesting to see who is taking the lead in SL and who is deferring. I'm sure as PG Dillingham will be featured. Will Minott be playing SL? Shannon and Miller pecking order would be the main thing I'm looking for.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 621

Post#165 » by Norseman79 » Fri Jul 5, 2024 3:56 pm

He is a 3/4 tweener to me, which is fine. I totally agree big summer league for him. Honestly, I want to see him park his ass in the corner and hit 3's, then defend and rebound. As the starting 4 next to J. Edwards, he should be able to focus on doing those things.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#166 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 5, 2024 4:27 pm

Norseman79 wrote:He is a 3/4 tweener to me, which is fine. I totally agree big summer league for him. Honestly, I want to see him park his ass in the corner and hit 3's, then defend and rebound. As the starting 4 next to J. Edwards, he should be able to focus on doing those things.

Parking his ass in the corner and shooting 3s would take away from his rebounding. I hate the 3 point shot so much.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#167 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 5, 2024 5:55 pm

minimus wrote:After one year I still struggle to find a right comparison for him.

In terms of roles on this team I put him mainly in the PF box with Towns and Reid.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 21,630

Post#168 » by Colbinii » Fri Jul 5, 2024 6:01 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:He is a 3/4 tweener to me, which is fine. I totally agree big summer league for him. Honestly, I want to see him park his ass in the corner and hit 3's, then defend and rebound. As the starting 4 next to J. Edwards, he should be able to focus on doing those things.

Parking his ass in the corner and shooting 3s would take away from his rebounding. I hate the 3 point shot so much.

1) He can still crash the glass from the Corner
2) Where would you put him to not eat up spacing? The best teams in the NBA have 4-5 shooters on the court at all times.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#169 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 5, 2024 6:03 pm

Colbinii wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

2) Where would you put him to not eat up spacing? The best teams in the NBA have 4-5 shooters on the court at all times.

You of course mean distance/3 point shooting. Mid range and at the bucket are also shooting. I think Miller can play inside and out. Just parking his ass in the corner seems like a waste to me.
Sealab2024
Rookie
And1: 1,572

Post#170 » by Sealab2024 » Fri Jul 5, 2024 6:05 pm

Jonathan Bender.
My Grandma always said "it's a helluva lot easier to take a child down a peg than it is to build them up one"
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 21,630

Post#171 » by Colbinii » Fri Jul 5, 2024 6:23 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Parking his ass in the corner and shooting 3s would take away from his rebounding. I hate the 3 point shot so much.

You of course mean distance/3 point shooting. Mid range and at the bucket are also shooting. I think Miller can play inside and out. Just parking his ass in the corner seems like a waste to me.

Miller can still cut and crash the glass from the corner.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#172 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 5, 2024 6:30 pm

Colbinii wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Sure he can. I see him as somebody who has more game than that. I stand by my statement that parking his ass in the corner would be a waste. No more need of discussion on this.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#173 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 5, 2024 7:25 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Sure he can. I see him as somebody who has more game than that. I stand by my statement that parking his ass in the corner would be a waste. No more need of discussion on this.

Sometimes, a guy thinking he "has more game" than the role he has been can be a poor outcome for the individual's career and be cancerous for the team.

Karl-Anthony Towns has "more game" than the role he had last year. Chris Bosh had "more game" than his role in Miami. Kevin Love had "more game" than his role in Cleveland.

Meanwhile, Jordan Poole wanted out of Golden State because he felt he had "more game" than his role showed, and the same for James Harden in Oklahoma City. Have either had the same amount of team success since showing to the world the "more game" that they each had? Or was it a selfish move that was detrimental to their careers and maximizing team success?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#174 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 5, 2024 8:32 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Sure he can. I see him as somebody who has more game than that. I stand by my statement that parking his ass in the corner would be a waste. No more need of discussion on this.

Sometimes, a guy thinking he "has more game" than the role he has been can be a poor outcome for the individual's career and be cancerous for the team.

Karl-Anthony Towns has "more game" than the role he had last year. Chris Bosh had "more game" than his role in Miami. Kevin Love had "more game" than his role in Cleveland.

Meanwhile, Jordan Poole wanted out of Golden State because he felt he had "more game" than his role showed, and the same for James Harden in Oklahoma City. Have either had the same amount of team success since showing to the world the "more game" that they each had? Or was it a selfish move that was detrimental to their careers and maximizing team success?

I don't know what Miller feels. I'm sharing what I feel.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#175 » by Norseman79 » Fri Jul 5, 2024 9:57 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:You of course mean distance/3 point shooting. Mid range and at the bucket are also shooting. I think Miller can play inside and out. Just parking his ass in the corner seems like a waste to me.

Sure he can. I see him as somebody who has more game than that. I stand by my statement that parking his ass in the corner would be a waste. No more need of discussion on this.

Since I'm the one who said it let me be clear on why. If he's going to play a substantial role, him being able to do that, which is park himself in the corner and hit 3's is critical to team success. I don't care if he lights up Summer League by getting to the basket and taking people off the dribble, I want him to show me he can do what they need him to do in the NBA. Obviously there's more to his game than that. But, that skill is high need
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#176 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 5, 2024 11:10 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Since I'm the one who said it let me be clear on why. If he's going to play a substantial role, him being able to do that, which is park himself in the corner and hit 3's is critical to team success. I don't care if he lights up Summer League by getting to the basket and taking people off the dribble, I want him to show me he can do what they need him to do in the NBA. Obviously there's more to his game than that. But, that skill is high need

No question he can and should make some corner threes. Parking his ass there IMO makes him too predictable and one dimensional. So I'm in favor of him making some corner threes, but I took the term parking his ass there to mean that he should do that exclusively. Maybe you didn't intend that. Maybe you just meant you'd like to see a lot of it.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#177 » by Norseman79 » Sat Jul 6, 2024 1:21 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:

No question he can and should make some corner threes. Parking his ass there IMO makes him too predictable and one dimensional. So I'm in favor of him making some corner threes, but I took the term parking his ass there to mean that he should do that exclusively. Maybe you didn't intend that. Maybe you just meant you'd like to see a lot of it.

That's what I would like to see him do for the summer league. I want to see him hit upper 30 low 40% on high volume. Yeah if he ends up coming in the game in the NBA, go ahead and do whatever it is you do. But I want evidence that he can consistently make that shot in summer league.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#178 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jul 6, 2024 1:28 am

Norseman79 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:

That's what I would like to see him do for the summer league. I want to see him hit upper 30 low 40% on high volume. Yeah if he ends up coming in the game in the NBA, go ahead and do whatever it is you do. But I want evidence that he can consistently make that shot in summer league.

He's probably going to hit them at 36% and that is just fine. Sure upper 30s or 40s would be better, but I doubt that will ever be him.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,227

Post#179 » by Nick K » Sat Jul 6, 2024 1:32 am

If he only could add power to power forward we'd be in business. I'd love to see him at PF and play with Reid too. Miller can rebound and shoot plus run the floor. I still think he's going to be really good. Maybe a year under his belt makes a huge difference.
Dalvin
Rookie
And1: 957

Post#180 » by Dalvin » Sat Jul 6, 2024 2:01 am

The only thing I remember from him was one game where he was played and he didn't get back on D 'cause he just jogged. Finch didn't like what he saw and sat him down and I think this was garbage minutes time! I hope he's not lazy and don't take opportunities as lightly as that next time and hopefully learned his lesson there.
shrink wrote:Good point, and welcome to the boards.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves