Re: Rubio Thread Seis (VI) 

Post#1741 » by YaleS » Mon Sep 8, 2014 11:19 pm

AQuintus wrote:
YaleS wrote:Ofc I mean his opinion actually has value because of his status,

Once again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

Ok, for last time
A is an authority on a particular topic - yep
A says something about that topic -yep
A is probably correct- never said or assumed he was correct (I said he was consistent with his critique)

Fallacious examples of using the appeal include any appeal to authority used in the context of logical reasoning, and appealing to the position of an authority or authorities to dismiss evidence- he never dismissed evidence (stats in our case)
Thus, the appeal to authority is not a generally reliable argument for establishing facts. - never argued that
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#1742 » by mandurugo » Mon Sep 8, 2014 11:52 pm

Jalen Rose is currently employed as an entertainer. His opinions are not carefully considered basketball thoughts, they are said to entertain. They have little merit in the long run.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,600

Post#1743 » by Takingbaconback » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:02 am

mandurugo wrote:Jalen Rose is currently employed as an entertainer. His opinions are not carefully considered basketball thoughts, they are said to entertain. They have little merit in the long run.

Jalen Rose's opinions and many of these TV analysts don't have merit when you solely consider their TV arguments. However if you sat down and watched tape with him, I'm sure he would crush and school everybody's opinions on these matters.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#1744 » by AQuintus » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:07 am

YaleS wrote:
AQuintus wrote:
YaleS wrote:Ofc I mean his opinion actually has value because of his status,

Once again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

Ok, for last time
A is probably correct- never said or assumed he was correct (I said he was consistent with his critique)

Fallacious examples of using the appeal include any appeal to authority used in the context of logical reasoning, and appealing to the position of an authority or authorities to dismiss evidence- he never dismissed evidence (stats in our case)
Thus, the appeal to authority is not a generally reliable argument for establishing facts. - never argued that

You literally said, "his opinion actually has value because of his status" ! That's textbook argument from authority.

An opinion ONLY has value based on its own merits. The person who is stating that opinion DOES NOT add (argument from authority) or detract (ad hominem) from that value.
YaleS
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#1745 » by YaleS » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:22 am

AQuintus wrote:
YaleS wrote:

Ok, for last time

You literally said, "his opinion actually has value because of his status" ! That's textbook argument from authority.

An opinion ONLY has value based on its own merits. The person who is stating that opinion DOES NOT add (argument from authority) or detract (ad hominem) from that value.

Fair enough, I missused the word value.
YaleS
Sophomore

Post#1746 » by YaleS » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:24 am

Takingbaconback wrote:
mandurugo wrote:Jalen Rose is currently employed as an entertainer. His opinions are not carefully considered basketball thoughts, they are said to entertain. They have little merit in the long run.

Jalen Rose's opinions and many of these TV analysts don't have merit when you solely consider their TV arguments. However if you sat down and watched tape with him, I'm sure he would crush and school everybody's opinions on these matters.

Agreed. It`s impossible to give full in-dept analyz on every opinion he gives, that would be unwatchable.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 2,026

Post#1747 » by Sugarless » Tue Sep 9, 2014 8:05 am

I never thought I could think of Rubio's name and 'boring as hell' in the same sentence, but this topic managed just that for the last two pages.
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#1748 » by Feilong » Tue Sep 9, 2014 8:38 am

Sugarless wrote:I never thought I could think of Rubio's name and 'boring as hell' in the same sentence, but this topic managed just that for the last two pages.

If you find Yales vs Aquintus "fight" boring, use your imagination.
Imagine Yales and Aquintus as hot chicks in a pillow fight.

Better ????
YaleS
Sophomore

Post#1749 » by YaleS » Tue Sep 9, 2014 9:57 am

Feilong wrote:
Sugarless wrote:I never thought I could think of Rubio's name and 'boring as hell' in the same sentence, but this topic managed just that for the last two pages.

If you find Yales vs Aquintus "fight" boring, use your imagination.
Imagine Yales and Aquintus as hot chicks in a pillow fight.

Better ????

Are you the third one 8-)
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#1750 » by mandurugo » Tue Sep 9, 2014 2:40 pm

Takingbaconback wrote:

Well, I don't know about everyone's but I would certainly concede that he could teach me a tremendous amount about the pro game. But that still doesn't mean I give much weight to comments he makes during an entertainment show.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#1751 » by Takingbaconback » Tue Sep 9, 2014 6:05 pm

mandurugo wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:

Well, I don't know about everyone's but I would certainly concede that he could teach me a tremendous amount about the pro game. But that still doesn't mean I give much weight to comments he makes during an entertainment show.

Yeah I don't give much weight either if it is those quick TV hot takes. But I assume he has watched some NBA action and has a reason for saying what he does. Just giving him a benefit of doubt because he has been doing this broadcasting/podcasting business for a while, and I know he's watching the games.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#1752 » by NewWolvesOrder » Tue Sep 9, 2014 6:34 pm

Meh , unless a tv pundit/former player is a certified coach like Hubie or JVG I don't take their opinions too seriously. Remember that these guys got by in life on their athletic ability, not their brain capacity, often slacking off at school at younger age. And it also concerns other sport I follow like soccer.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#1753 » by Takingbaconback » Tue Sep 9, 2014 9:09 pm

Turnover_21 wrote:Meh , unless a tv pundit/former player is a certified coach like Hubie or JVG I don't take their opinions too seriously. Remember that these guys got by in life on their athletic ability, not their brain capacity, often slacking off at school at younger age. And it also concerns other sport I follow like soccer.

Wonder if people take their own opinions seriously now that you mentioned this or it is more for entertainment and mental exercise.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#1754 » by King Malta » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:14 am

Turnover_21 wrote:Meh , unless a tv pundit/former player is a certified coach like Hubie or JVG I don't take their opinions too seriously. Remember that these guys got by in life on their athletic ability, not their brain capacity, often slacking off at school at younger age. And it also concerns other sport I follow like soccer.

It's often worse in Football/Soccer where particular pundits exist purely to troll certain fan bases and are seemingly employed solely for that purpose. (See Adrian Durham and Michael Owen for a couple of quick examples)
Feilong
Veteran

Post#1755 » by Feilong » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:12 am

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,680

Post#1756 » by Klomp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:15 am

Here's a couple of really good excerpts:

Before Love had his agent push the Wolves for a trade in April, Rubio never did have a heart-to-heart with him about a future together. On a trip to Los Angeles after the T'wolves season ended, Rubio considered talking to Love there, but never bothered.
What was the point anymore?

"If he wanted to leave, there's no reason to talk to him about it," Rubio told Yahoo. "I really liked playing with him, but I'll play with the players who want to be there. Kevin wants to win. That's normal. He's been there six years without the playoffs. I understand. If I was in the same situation – being one of the best players in the league – and not being able to be in the playoffs, I'd have a lot of frustration, too.

"The last couple years there have been a lot of questions. It is hard – even if the team is good – the media always talks about it. You don't want to think about it, but everyone is always talking about your main guy this way. And it becomes harder to be focused.

"Right now, we have to play with the players we have."

When the Love-Wiggins trade was finally notarized in late August, there was no telephone call. Rubio texted Love, and wished him well. Love texted back. Apparently, that's how breakups go these days. And it was over. "I have to be thankful for everything he did for me," Rubio told Yahoo. "Coming from Europe to the NBA, it is not easy. Having the superstar give you the head's-up on things, look out for you … I appreciate it.

"But in the end, it didn't work out and we move on. He's always going to be a great memory with me. Not just the way we played together, because it was fun but it's the way he accepted me from day one."
Saunders has had discussions with Rubio's agent Dan Fegan and they'll talk more between now and the Oct. 31 deadline. Without an extension, Rubio can be a restricted free agent next summer.

"I'm loyal," Rubio told Yahoo. "I want to give them back what they gave me there: a lot of love."
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#1757 » by Takingbaconback » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:38 am

I love the loyalty part. Hopefully he is implying that he isn't tied to a max deal or anything near that amount.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#1758 » by urinesane » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:39 am

It'll be cool to have a leader with fire again. Love was great but never seemed to inspire his teammates.

I'm excited to see how the vets gel and the young guys to develop with Rubio at the helm.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,673

Post#1759 » by Note30 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:52 am

urinesane wrote:It'll be cool to have a leader with fire again. Love was great but never seemed to inspire his teammates.

I'm excited to see how the vets gel and the young guys to develop with Rubio at the helm.

Ya I can just see him yelling to Bennett. Change this weight, be thin, enjoy!
Feilong
Veteran

Post#1760 » by Feilong » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:06 am

I missed NBA. I missed posting on REALGM during MIN games.
Too bad i cannot watch the games live this year. I will have to download them the next morning and watch them at work. Either way, i am so exited about our new team. It will be such a fun season.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves