Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

FrenchMinnyFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 573

Re: Trade Talk (Part 14): 2023-24 Edition 

Post#1861 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:04 am

jpatrick wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:
FrenchMinnyFan wrote:I'm not too worry about offense. ANT and KAT can have good PO and Mike will level up when it's necessary, And to optimize our offense, ball movement is very important. Thre is a lot of games if you take out Mike data ( ASS/TO), we ended up with th reste of players TO the ball aas much as they give assist. This is devastating and will kill up at PO time. That's why i'm all in for Tyus.
It's not the perfect choice but we have with our salary structure limited options.

Kat has been either great or horrible in post season. I'm real worried about our offense because we can't take care of the ball. Kat, Ant, Kyle, Jaden are all prone to dumb turnovers trying to force a play that isn't there.

What would reduce turnovers more, having another PG to be on the floor during the non-Conley minutes or adding a wing shooter to help space the floor? We do make dumb turnovers, but I see a lot of them as the result of driving into a packed paint.

In a perfect world we would get a shooter who could play with Conley and then also play backup PG minutes (oh Brogdon, how I wish you made less), but I don’t see that player as out there and obtainable.

Very good question. I don't have the answer. I think one of the option could be to force ANT and KAT to have less the ball in the 4th and more focus at getting the right spot to shoot and not running into the traffic. Having another good shooter may help, Clarkson style. But i'm not sure we can afford it. Last few games in the 4th, Mike was running the ball inside and find an open guy at the corner for 3...unfortunatly in the corner was Slomo which kill all the offense. After that, we take an hurry and bad shoot. Have to be fixed one way or another if we want to get to next level.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 4,201

Post#1862 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:17 am

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:
jpatrick wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:Kat has been either great or horrible in post season. I'm real worried about our offense because we can't take care of the ball. Kat, Ant, Kyle, Jaden are all prone to dumb turnovers trying to force a play that isn't there.

What would reduce turnovers more, having another PG to be on the floor during the non-Conley minutes or adding a wing shooter to help space the floor? We do make dumb turnovers, but I see a lot of them as the result of driving into a packed paint.

In a perfect world we would get a shooter who could play with Conley and then also play backup PG minutes (oh Brogdon, how I wish you made less), but I don’t see that player as out there and obtainable.

Very good question. I don't have the answer. I think one of the option could be to force ANT and KAT to have less the ball in the 4th and more focus at getting the right spot to shoot and not running into the traffic. Having another good shooter may help, Clarkson style. But i'm not sure we can afford it. Last few games in the 4th, Mike was running the ball inside and find an open guy at the corner for 3...unfortunatly in the corner was Slomo which kill all the offense. After that, we take an hurry and bad shoot. Have to be fixed one way or another if we want to get to next level.

I think we need a PG who can drain the corner 3. Replicating what Mike gives us is our best bet. The turnovers are not just about spacing, they are about decision making. Mike, Jaden, Kyle, sometimes Naz, and too often Ant and KAT pass up wide open 3s for drives. If we shot more of the open 3s we would likely improve the spacing. Instead guys play off and pack the paint, so we drive into crowds and then have to make tough passes (sometimes cross court,) and that is when they either intercept the pass, get the poke away, or force such wild passes that they cannot be caught.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 16,344

Post#1863 » by shrink » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:05 am

jpatrick wrote:In a perfect world we would get a shooter who could play with Conley and then also play backup PG minutes (oh Brogdon, how I wish you made less), but I don’t see that player as out there and obtainable.

Y’know, that D’Angelo Russell fellow ..!

(I can’t even finish my joke! Too offensive.)
minimus
RealGM
And1: 4,134

Post#1864 » by minimus » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:03 am

Guys, how MIN triggered hard cap and first apron? (found! By using NPMLE for TBJ and Milton)

Another question: I found on reddit this article https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39438109/nba-trade-deadline-why-nba-trade-week-comes-massive-financial-risk

What. I dont understand is

The Timberwolves, for example, have been active in trade discussions, according to a league source, because this is the last time they are allowed to aggregate contracts in a deal. (The same rules apply for first-apron teams, except they are allowed to aggregate contracts and can send cash in a trade.)

But MIN are in first apron this season! Why author says that MIN wont be allowed to ggregate contracts and can send cash in a trade, starting this offseason?
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#1865 » by jpatrick » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:32 pm

shrink wrote:
jpatrick wrote:In a perfect world we would get a shooter who could play with Conley and then also play backup PG minutes (oh Brogdon, how I wish you made less), but I don’t see that player as out there and obtainable.

Y’know, that D’Angelo Russell fellow ..!

(I can’t even finish my joke! Too offensive.)

Too soon. Still too soon. DLo is destined to finish his career scoring 20ppg for bad teams. It is his destiny.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1866 » by shrink » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:33 pm

minimus wrote:But MIN are in first apron this season!

2023-24 NBA
$136,021,000: Salary Cap
$165,294,000: Luxury Threshold
$172,346,000: First Apron
$182,794,000: Second Apron

$162,931,412: Minnesota Taxable Salaries. ($2,362,588 under the lux)
minimus
RealGM
And1: 4,134

Post#1867 » by minimus » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:59 pm

shrink wrote:

2023-24 NBA

Do you mean that author is mistaken about MIN?
shrink
RealGM

Post#1868 » by shrink » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:04 pm

minimus wrote:
shrink wrote:

2023-24 NBA

Do you mean that author is mistaken about MIN?

The Timberwolves, for example, have been active in trade discussions, according to a league source, because this is the last time they are allowed to aggregate contracts in a deal. (The same rules apply for first-apron teams, except they are allowed to aggregate contracts and can send cash in a trade.)

He is saying that for the next two days, we will operate as an under the lux team. This summer, the extensions and cap holds will put us over the 2024-25 first apron, and probably the second, and we will have to make deals with all those additional restrictions.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1869 » by shrink » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:28 pm

One of the silver linings for having big contracts on Towns and Gobert is avoiding this new aggregation rule. Two years ago, the Wolves needed to include five players to salary-match Rudy Gobert’s max contract in their trade with Utah. Now, new CBA rules would make this trade illegal for any team over the second apron. For example, this summer we couldn’t combine Naz and NAW and other salaries to trade for a more expensive player - like DeJounte Murray. However, the rule don’t prevent teams over the second apron from trading using a more expensive player, like KAT for Murray + stuff.

Some teams are expecting to be over the second apron, and getting big salaries now to set up for when the rule hits them. It’s possible that part of the reason PHX was willing to combine salaries to trade for Bradley Beal was because they didn’t want a bunch of untradeable smaller salaries on their books if they wanted to look for a different expensive player. Beal could be seen as the world’s most expensive placeholder. It’s the same reason we might see the Knicks pick up the $19 mil team option on Fournier if he isn’t traded by the deadline, even though Thibs never plays him. NYK maintains trade flexibility as a matching salary on a guy they don’t mind giving up.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#1870 » by life_saver » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:59 pm

I really think Monte Morris would be the best possible option we have considering our draft capital (and if don't wanna trade away any key contributors). He has just returned back from injury and is likely gonna have rough start...his value is not gonna be much high right now...it's a good time to buy him low. I remember people being really low on Donte when he was shooting terrible in his first 1-2 months after coming back from injury but now he is back (or even better) to his pre-injury shooting numbers
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#1871 » by NebWolvesFan » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:36 pm

shrink wrote:One of the silver linings for having big contracts on Towns and Gobert is avoiding this new aggregation rule. Two years ago, the Wolves needed to include five players to salary-match Rudy Gobert’s max contract in their trade with Utah. Now, new CBA rules would make this trade illegal for any team over the second apron. For example, this summer we couldn’t combine Naz and NAW and other salaries to trade for a more expensive player - like DeJounte Murray. However, the rule don’t prevent teams over the second apron from trading using a more expensive player, like KAT for Murray + stuff.

Some teams are expecting to be over the second apron, and getting big salaries now to set up for when the rule hits them. It’s possible that part of the reason PHX was willing to combine salaries to trade for Bradley Beal was because they didn’t want a bunch of untradeable smaller salaries on their books if they wanted to look for a different expensive player. Beal could be seen as the world’s most expensive placeholder. It’s the same reason we might see the Knicks pick up the $19 mil team option on Fournier if he isn’t traded by the deadline, even though Thibs never plays him. NYK maintains trade flexibility as a matching salary on a guy they don’t mind giving up.

This is one of the reasons you can't rule out a trade for someone like Bogdan Bogdanović. Minnesota could use assets only available to them now to get him and he would be signed for the next three years when Minnesota will have trouble making trades or acquiring free agents.

Kyle, Shake, Troy and Minott + combination of picks/swaps for Bogdan/Garrison Matthews. The Hawks would need to waive two players to make the deal work - i.e. Wesley Matthews and Patti Mills. Minnesota could send the Hawks up to 7 million dollars to help pay Wesley and Patti. Once Minnesota hits the second apron they can't send money to a team, so now is the time to use that asset.

Of course, Atlanta could get a better deal elsewhere, but these are the types of deals TC needs to be looking to finish because starting this summer deals like this will be impossible to pull off.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#1872 » by jpatrick » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:54 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
shrink wrote:One of the silver linings for having big contracts on Towns and Gobert is avoiding this new aggregation rule. Two years ago, the Wolves needed to include five players to salary-match Rudy Gobert’s max contract in their trade with Utah. Now, new CBA rules would make this trade illegal for any team over the second apron. For example, this summer we couldn’t combine Naz and NAW and other salaries to trade for a more expensive player - like DeJounte Murray. However, the rule don’t prevent teams over the second apron from trading using a more expensive player, like KAT for Murray + stuff.

This is one of the reasons you can't rule out a trade for someone like Bogdan Bogdanović. Minnesota could use assets only available to them now to get him and he would be signed for the next three years when Minnesota will have trouble making trades or acquiring free agents.

Kyle, Shake, Troy and Minott + combination of picks/swaps for Bogdan/Garrison Matthews. The Hawks would need to waive two players to make the deal work - i.e. Wesley Matthews and Patti Mills. Minnesota could send the Hawks up to 7 million dollars to help pay Wesley and Patti. Once Minnesota hits the second apron they can't send money to a team, so now is the time to use that asset.

Of course, Atlanta could get a better deal elsewhere, but these are the types of deals TC needs to be looking to finish because starting this summer deals like this will be impossible to pull off.

I love Bogi. He’s my favorite trade target. Good size wing. Very good shooter. High BBIQ. On a declining contract. But would cost us Kyle, Shake, and Brown plus all our draft capital. And we still wouldn’t have a backup PG. Plus, even if it is a value contract, I’m not sure how we fit that deal into our future salary structure. But we’ll see. I doubt it happens but In Connelly we trust.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1873 » by shrink » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:06 pm

Sixers are saying they will continue to be buyers, regardless of Embiid’s surgery.

I wonder if we can offload Shake Milton there in some sort of three way? Milton knows the team, and the front office is familiar with him. It seems to me, Shake is a “more valuable to them than us” kind of guy, that helps add value in a trade.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 645

Post#1874 » by TwolvesFanRome » Tue Feb 6, 2024 10:05 pm

Schroeder or Lowry ??
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,980

Post#1875 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Feb 6, 2024 10:17 pm

shrink wrote:Sixers are saying they will continue to be buyers, regardless of Embiid’s surgery.

I wonder if we can offload Shake Milton there in some sort of three way? Milton knows the team, and the front office is familiar with him. It seems to me, Shake is a “more valuable to them than us” kind of guy, that helps add value in a trade.

Korkmaz for Milton could make sense and potentially land Minnesota an extra 2nd if Philly is dying to get Shake back?
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,272

Post#1876 » by KGdaBom » Tue Feb 6, 2024 10:30 pm

My prediction. We make no significant deadline trade. Maybe some tiny move for a mostly unheard of player that might become the 15th person in the rotation. I predict this because I don't see Connelly as the type to wait until the last minute or even day.
BlacJacMac
Starter
And1: 1,986

Post#1877 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Feb 6, 2024 10:50 pm

KGdaBom wrote:My prediction. We make no significant deadline trade. Maybe some tiny move for a mostly unheard of player that might become the 15th person in the rotation. I predict this because I don't see Connelly as the type to wait until the last minute or even day.

You might want to rethink that. The D'Lo/Conley/NAW trade was at the deadline last year, and that is his history:

Keep in mind that since Connelly first took over as the lead executive for the Denver Nuggets in 2013, he has been very active at the trade deadline. Connelly executed two trades both in 2014 and 2015; one trade in 2016; two trades in 2017; one trade in 2018; two trades in 2020 (including the four-team mega deal with the Wolves, Atlanta Hawks and Houston Rockets); two trades in 2021; made a trade nearly a month in advance of the deadline in 2022; and swung one of the best trades in recent NBA memory last season when he moved D’Angelo Russell in exchange for Mike Conley, Nickeil Alexander-Walker and three second-round picks, one of which was used to help the Wolves move up to select Leonard Miller in the 2023 NBA Draft.

2019 was the only year he didn't make a deadline deal.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,089

Post#1878 » by moss_is_1 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 11:05 pm

We'll make some sort of deal. Shake is 100% gone, IMO.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,854

Post#1879 » by TimberKat » Tue Feb 6, 2024 11:23 pm

I think it's WAS that is holding things up. They are still waiting for highest bid for Jones. Once that happens or 76er /LA make their move, things will move quickly.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,272

Post#1880 » by KGdaBom » Tue Feb 6, 2024 11:46 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:My prediction. We make no significant deadline trade. Maybe some tiny move for a mostly unheard of player that might become the 15th person in the rotation. I predict this because I don't see Connelly as the type to wait until the last minute or even day.

You might want to rethink that. The D'Lo/Conley/NAW trade was at the deadline last year, and that is his history:

Keep in mind that since Connelly first took over as the lead executive for the Denver Nuggets in 2013, he has been very active at the trade deadline. Connelly executed two trades both in 2014 and 2015; one trade in 2016; two trades in 2017; one trade in 2018; two trades in 2020 (including the four-team mega deal with the Wolves, Atlanta Hawks and Houston Rockets); two trades in 2021; made a trade nearly a month in advance of the deadline in 2022; and swung one of the best trades in recent NBA memory last season when he moved D’Angelo Russell in exchange for Mike Conley, Nickeil Alexander-Walker and three second-round picks, one of which was used to help the Wolves move up to select Leonard Miller in the 2023 NBA Draft.

2019 was the only year he didn't make a deadline deal.

OK maybe I'm wrong about that. Rudy sure wasn't a draft deadline deal. :D

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves