ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part 14): 2023-24 Edition

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,708

Re: Trade Talk (Part 14): 2023-24 Edition 

Post#21 » by Note30 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:55 pm

I'd say wait until the Harden trade goes through. See how wild card teams like Dallas perform, and see what the 6ers do post trade.

There has to be some up and down in the market for us to take advantage of.

Right now as is, KAT isnt going to get the value we deserve.

Also there's no guarantee this can't work out.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 16,343

Post#22 » by shrink » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:17 pm

I love fake trades as much, and maybe more, than anyone here. Over my many years, I’ve devoted countless hours of my life here and on the Trade Board working up trades and commenting on other people’s trades. It’s my favorite part of RealGM,

And right now, I don’t see any realistic trades for a while.

Connelly isn’t trading Ant. He’s the franchise, and ineligible.
He isn’t trading KAT or Gobert, at least so far. After making a big bet, he needs to see if it worked.
He isn’t trading Naz or Jaden. Bad form to trade players who take less to be here, and they are our future.
He isn’t trading Conley or Anderson, at least so far. Finch uses both to manage the kids and maximize Gobert.
He isn’t trading Milton or Brown Jr - both are ineligible until December.
It’s highly unlikely he’s trading NAW, who after two starts, is apparently our sixth man at $4.7 mil
It’s highly unlikely he’s trading MacLaughlin, who’s a vet min guy who may only have value with us.
That leaves our CHEAP youth, Wendell Moore Jr, Josh Minott, Leonard Miller, and Jaylen Clark. All unlikely.
Plus we don’t have future cap space under lux thresholds or future picks to trade!

I think Tim Connelly likes the team, and we know he likes continuity. If Milton can pick it up, I don’t think we have a major area of need. Things always come up as a season progresses, but I think he did an excellent job building a roster that covers our bases. Maybe a trade will make sense down the road when we have trade material and needs, but right now I think any realistic trade talk is premature until we know more.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,650

Post#23 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:36 pm

shrink wrote:I think Tim Connelly likes the team, and we know he likes continuity. If Milton can pick it up, I don’t think we have a major area of need. Things always come up as a season progresses, but I think he did an excellent job building a roster that covers our bases. Maybe a trade will make sense down the road when we have trade material and needs, but right now I think any realistic trade talk is premature until we know more.

Whenever I personally discuss trades, I usually am not thinking that it needs to be done today. Deadlines bring activity. The next deadline isn't until February, so I doubt anything would happen until January or February, unless possibly they jump in to capitalize off the Harden drama.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,272

Post#24 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:50 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:I think Tim Connelly likes the team, and we know he likes continuity. If Milton can pick it up, I don’t think we have a major area of need. Things always come up as a season progresses, but I think he did an excellent job building a roster that covers our bases. Maybe a trade will make sense down the road when we have trade material and needs, but right now I think any realistic trade talk is premature until we know more.

Whenever I personally discuss trades, I usually am not thinking that it needs to be done today. Deadlines bring activity. The next deadline isn't until February, so I doubt anything would happen until January or February, unless possibly they jump in to capitalize off the Harden drama.

Just the player not the drama IMO Harden fits us really well. I think a trade for him would have to involve KAT who I don't want to trade.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,528

Post#25 » by Domejandro » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:01 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Just the player not the drama IMO Harden fits us really well. I think a trade for him would have to involve KAT who I don't want to trade.

There's no shot that it would take Karl-Anthony Towns. For reference, the Los Angeles Clippers have refused to add Terance Mann to their package, offering Marcus Morris (who is benched after a trade demand), Robert Covington (link to his stats, yikes), one First Round Draft Pick, and a pick swap.

Read on Twitter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,650

Post#26 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:07 pm

Domejandro wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:Whenever I personally discuss trades, I usually am not thinking that it needs to be done today. Deadlines bring activity. The next deadline isn't until February, so I doubt anything would happen until January or February, unless possibly they jump in to capitalize off the Harden drama.

There's no shot that it would take Karl-Anthony Towns. For reference, the Los Angeles Clippers have refused to add Terance Mann to their package, offering Marcus Morris (who is benched after a trade demand), Robert Covington (link to his stats, yikes), one First Round Draft Pick, and a pick swap.

Read on Twitter

The offer for us would be Conley and Anderson. But I don't see us ever offering it.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
cmoss84
Junior
And1: 152

Post#27 » by cmoss84 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:53 pm

Read on Twitter
[/quote]
The offer for us would be Conley and Anderson. But I don't see us ever offering it.[/quote]

Man...I am torn on that one! That would be a hell of a lineup! Would it completely throw off team chemistry or could these humans be professionals. Who knows.

Harden
Ant
Jaden
KAT
Rudy
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,272

Post#28 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:16 pm

Domejandro wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:Whenever I personally discuss trades, I usually am not thinking that it needs to be done today. Deadlines bring activity. The next deadline isn't until February, so I doubt anything would happen until January or February, unless possibly they jump in to capitalize off the Harden drama.

Read on Twitter

I'm talking for Salary Purposes. I'm also predicating any trade including Harden extended 3 years at $30 million a year.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,854

Post#29 » by TimberKat » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:24 pm

cmoss84 wrote:Man...I am torn on that one! That would be a hell of a lineup! Would it completely throw off team chemistry or could these humans be professionals. Who knows.

Harden
Ant
Jaden
KAT
Rudy

Obviously Clippers want to get it done ASAP if that is all they are offering. On paper, the MIN trade looks great. Put Wolves in Championship contention. Don't know if we want to make Conley move again. KAT for Harden is still a possibility. If I am Philly, I would take a Borgdon for Harden deal, then let POR work it out with LAC. I think Philly is going to wait until mid season like they did with Simmons when teams know what they have and there is more players to offer. Can you imagine a Harden to UTA :D ?
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,528

Post#30 » by Domejandro » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:17 am

Mike Conley, Kyle Anderson, and a First Round Draft Pick for James Harden

James Harden / Jordan McLaughlin / Daishen Nix (2WP)
Anthony Edwards / Shake Milton / Wendell Moore Jr.
Jaden McDaniels / Troy Brown Jr. /
Karl-Anthony Towns / Josh Minott / Leonard Miller
Rudy Gobert / Naz Reid / Luka Garza (2WP)

Harden would likely leave after this season, but this at least would give Minnesota a real chance at a Championship. The team desperately needs a second All-Star caliber shot creator.
Kineto
Sophomore
And1: 223

Post#31 » by Kineto » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:09 am

What do you think of this trade :

Minnesota :
IN : Markkanen (17.2M) Fournier (18.8M)
OUT : Town (36.0M)

Thunder :
IN : Town (36.0M)
OUT : Dort (15.2M) Bertrans (17.2M)

NewYork :
IN : Dort (15.2M)
OUT : Fournier (18.8M)

Utah Jazz :
IN : Bertrans (17.2M)
OUT : Markkanen (17.2M)

For Minnesota, replacing KAT with Markanen means getting back a player more suited to the squad, and at half the salary of KAT. Fournier is an expiring contract, and could even be very interesting as an experienced 6th man (and already knows perfectly well how to play with Rudy).

For the Thunder, it's basically a Dort-KAT swap, so it's hard not to see it as an upgrade. The KAT/Holmgren pairing could be very interesting, as it would allow Chet to be shifted to the 4. AND KAT will provide the 3-point shooting skills this team is lacking.

For NY, the gain is obvious: Fournier is out of the rotation, and Dort has the perfect profile for a coach like Thibodeau.

All that remains is to convince Utah to give up Markanen for Bertrans (in other words, for nothing).
How many draft picks would NY and the Thunder be willing to send to Utah to make this swap happen? would it be enough to convince Presti?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 4,134

Post#32 » by minimus » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:46 am

Towns for Markkanen, Cason Wallace, expiring Fournier and couple of late FRPs would be a good deal for MIN.
Kineto
Sophomore

Post#33 » by Kineto » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:05 am

minimus wrote:Towns for Markkanen, Cason Wallace, expiring Fournier and couple of late FRPs would be a good deal for MIN.

I'm not sure we should expect more than a simple Town+Fournier/Markanen swap and hope to pick up some extra asset.

Markanen's value is at its highest, while KAT's is probably at its lowest (and may fall further).

Statistically, Markanen is coming off a 26 pts / 9 rb season almost in 50/40/90, a production largely equivalent to KAT's best years. And only for half his salary, while the team will have painful choices to make next season to stay below the 2nd apron.
minimus
RealGM

Post#34 » by minimus » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:18 am

Kineto wrote:
minimus wrote:Towns for Markkanen, Cason Wallace, expiring Fournier and couple of late FRPs would be a good deal for MIN.

I'm not sure we should expect more than a simple Town+Fournier/Markanen swap and hope to pick up some extra asset.

Markanen's value is at its highest, while KAT's is probably at its lowest (and may fall further).

Statistically, Markanen is coming off a 26 pts / 9 rb season almost in 50/40/90, a production largely equivalent to KAT's best years. And only for half his salary, while the team will have painful choices to make next season to stay below the 2nd apron.

Markkanen will sign his next big contract after next season. I bet it will be a lot more expensive than his current contract.

But I am more interested in Cason Wallace, expiring contracts and late FRPs.
Kineto
Sophomore

Post#35 » by Kineto » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:33 am

minimus wrote:Markkanen will sign his next big contract after next season. I bet it will be a lot more expensive than his current contract.

Yes, and it will probably be for the max if he maintains is current production (which is to be hoped).
But this max contract will only be effective in 2025/2026, which will probably be Gobert's last season with his current contract (and it's possible he opt-out to sign a new long contract for less).

That would leave the possibility of keeping Conley and/or Anderson in 2024/2025 without having to exceed the 2nd apron.
Guest84
Rookie
And1: 534

Post#36 » by Guest84 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:35 pm

How does everyone feel about Dejounte Murray? I know there was some previous conversation about him. If we were to trade anyone, I personally think we need to target a pg. With him and Trey, it's possible one could be traded for depending on how the Hawks perform.

A 6'5" young vet pg would be ideal in my opinion. Whether it would be him, who knows but I think he or a player like him would be great next to Ant and Jaden.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#37 » by jpatrick » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:35 pm

We’d be lucky to get Markannen for Towns at this point. And I do love Wallace. I think he’s the longterm fit next to SGA, not Giddey. I think Giddey get moved before the thunder extend him. Giddey is so good at so many things but a poor shooter/defender is not what you want next to a ball dominant SG.
minimus
RealGM

Post#38 » by minimus » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:40 pm

The biggest downside on whole story is that it might hold back young players such as McDaniels, Naz Reid while we are looking for hypothetical five FRP equivalent for Towns in a trade. I'd say get a movement shooter like Cam Johnson or PG prospect like Cason Wallace, they both fit well either next to McDaniels and Edwards. Get expiring contracts, keep Anderson and Conley.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,708

Post#39 » by Note30 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:43 pm

Guest84 wrote:How does everyone feel about Dejounte Murray? I know there was some previous conversation about him. If we were to trade anyone, I personally think we need to target a pg. With him and Trey, it's possible one could be traded for depending on how the Hawks perform.

A 6'5" young vet pg would be ideal in my opinion. Whether it would be him, who knows but I think he or a player like him would be great next to Ant and Jaden.

Prior to Gobert trade I had suggested trading 3 first round picks plus Russell and Beasley for Murray and Poeltl.

That would have been an amazing trade had it gone through. We'd have Towns, Reid, Anderson, Poeltl. I was suggesting we trade 2024, 2026, 2028, so probably Walker Kessler too. If Towns didn't shape out this year we could trade him for an actual position of need or quality backups like people here are suggesting.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,854

Post#40 » by TimberKat » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:40 pm

Note30 wrote:
Guest84 wrote:How does everyone feel about Dejounte Murray? I know there was some previous conversation about him. If we were to trade anyone, I personally think we need to target a pg. With him and Trey, it's possible one could be traded for depending on how the Hawks perform.

Prior to Gobert trade I had suggested trading 3 first round picks plus Russell and Beasley for Murray and Poeltl.

That would have been an amazing trade had it gone through. We'd have Towns, Reid, Anderson, Poeltl. I was suggesting we trade 2024, 2026, 2028, so probably Walker Kessler too. If Towns didn't shape out this year we could trade him for an actual position of need or quality backups like people here are suggesting.

I like Murray and would love to have him with or without the Gobert trade. However, he played out of his mind last night. I watched him a few times but nothing near what he did last night.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves