ImageImageImage

Game 47: Minnesota Timberwolves (15-31) vs. Sacramento Kings (16-29) - 8:00 PM ET

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Re: Game 47: Minnesota Timberwolves (15-31) vs. Sacramento Kings (16-29) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#201 » by Dewey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:52 pm

DaKidKG wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
Foye wrote:
Bjelica was always a good player - just never recognized like that by our management.
Letting him go in favour of Trolliver was as much of a stupid decision as Teague for Rubio.
Lets pump the brakes on Belly.
His % numbers are good, but he's not scoring like an allstar. He is what he was here, a player that can give you a few games a year that matter. The same people pumping him up were also some of the same that said he was weak. They always look better against the Wolves. How many times have we heard somebody having a "career" night against us?

I don't think any of us are suggesting that Bjelica is a superstar or anything. He's just a very solid role player that would have fit perfectly in this new 5 out scheme.

With the exception of his 2nd season with us, he's always reflected very well in the advanced stats. People used to love ragging on him for his defense, but the numbers indicate he's underrated on that end of the floor. He wasn't a great 1 on 1 defender but his positioning was very good - Kind of like a forward version of Rubio.

Fairly stated ...
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,673

Re: Game 47: Minnesota Timberwolves (15-31) vs. Sacramento Kings (16-29) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#202 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:54 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,107

Post#203 » by MN7725 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:05 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

As Simmons/Russillo said in their podcast last week

Captain of All-Miserable team
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#204 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:20 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Very confusing interview.
First he says they all need to be "committed" as if some were not, then when ask if everyone was committed he says yes.

I have seen some terrible games before, but 8,000 other teams were in that position we were in, and we are the ONLY ones to lose.
I have to admit, I missed the last 3 minutes. Had I stayed, I am sure I would have blown a vessel in my neck or forehead.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,901

Post#205 » by Calinks » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:56 pm

I was "broken" a long time ago. That first Grizzlies lost did it to me. Doesn't mean I don't get frustrated with these losses but that's when I knew the team was done this season. In hindsight the Grizzlies are better than I thought they were at the time but still, that was a game a playoff team should have won.

The loss last night is just a total wolves thing, can't explain it any better than that. Just a combination of collasally bad execution combined with extraordinary bad luck. It was a signature moment.

It's why that one year of us making the playoffs was meaningful, it's why for all of Thibs mistakes, I don't blame him for bringing in Butler and accelerating the team. This franchise NEEDED to see success, we needed to make some positive progress. It needed to establish the habit of winning. The losing funk permeates the fabric of every part of this team, organization, and arena.

If Gersson Rosas ever manages to turn this around, and this team ever becomes a real winner, he needs to get a statue built inside the Target Center. He will be going against the absolute nature of this organization, the man who altered the fate of a franchise. He will be a King in Minnesota Basketball history. It's why if I was a GM looking for a home, I'd take this job. I don't want to be the next guy who keeps a legendary franchise going, I want to be the guy who takes a piece of crap and turns it into gold, that's a way cooler story at the end of the day.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 766

Post#206 » by karch34 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:57 pm

MN7725 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

As Simmons/Russillo said in their podcast last week

Captain of All-Miserable team

Yup. But they also said teams take the personality of their leader. Some players in their early 20s can lead and some can't. Love KAT. He's immensely talented and haven't enjoyed a player as much since KG, but I don't see him as a leader. I would say issue is he didn't get Mitchell and Porter right away and for a long time like KG did. That said the wins that broke up both the 10 and 11 game losing streaks (so even 33% basketball puts us at 8th seed) this season happened with KAT out.

Fan since moved in 1990 to Twin Cities and always will be, but this feels like Clark W. Griswold saying "Worse? How can it get any worse?! Look at us Ellen, We're standing at the threshold of hell!"
Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 218

Post#207 » by Macwolf527 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:00 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Very confusing interview.
First he says they all need to be "committed" as if some were not, then when ask if everyone was committed he says yes.

I have seen some terrible games before, but 8,000 other teams were in that position we were in, and we are the ONLY ones to lose.
I have to admit, I missed the last 3 minutes. Had I stayed, I am sure I would have blown a vessel in my neck or forehead.

I didn’t get the feeling he was saying they weren’t. But more along the lines of continuing to trust the system irregardless of last nights outcome. Obviously they need to clean some things up, but no one wins with finger pointing. It’s Gerson’s responsibility to remove anyone with questionable committment.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#208 » by packforfreedom » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:01 pm

This really feels like rock bottom. I have zero belief in this team at the moment and my interest is the lowest since I'm a Wolves fan.
We're in basketball hell and it will never stop.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#209 » by Calinks » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:10 pm

I actually see us improving this season. Not sure when but I see the team getting it together to a degree and going on a run. This right now is pretty close to rock bottom, can't say it is rock bottom as there is always another level but it's close. The team will find a way to start winning games again.

That said, it will wind up screwing us by pushing back our draft position. Still I think things will click and we will have a nice run at some point. We are still only halfway through the season, a lot of time left. It wont mean we make the playoffs or anything, the team will just look better.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,037

Post#210 » by TheProdigy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:30 pm

Calinks wrote:It's why that one year of us making the playoffs was meaningful, it's why for all of Thibs mistakes, I don't blame him for bringing in Butler and accelerating the team. This franchise NEEDED to see success, we needed to make some positive progress. It needed to establish the habit of winning. The losing funk permeates the fabric of every part of this team, organization, and arena.

I understand where you're coming from because I was starved for wins at the time too. My first impression of the draft night trade with the Bulls was that we gave up too much. Over time though, I talked myself into it.

Now though with the benefit of hindsight, I don't think it was worth it. We traded away our future for the opportunity to get rolled in one playoff series. And it's not like the experience instilled a winning culture. I honestly think if we still had Lavine, Markannen, Dunn, Rubio, and Bjelica that we would be competing for the playoffs right now (Dunn has been looking somewhat decent lately). We traded all those young guys before they even had a chance to develop.

Calinks wrote:If Gersson Rosas ever manages to turn this around, and this team ever becomes a real winner, he needs to get a statue built inside the Target Center. He will be going against the absolute nature of this organization, the man who altered the fate of a franchise. He will be a King in Minnesota Basketball history. It's why if I was a GM looking for a home, I'd take this job. I don't want to be the next guy who keeps a legendary franchise going, I want to be the guy who takes a piece of crap and turns it into gold, that's a way cooler story at the end of the day.

The problem for any GM of the Wolves is that they would be managed by a meddling leprechaun who steals their gold and then throws more pieces of crap at them.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 375

Post#211 » by gandlogo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:41 pm

I feel broken, but at the end of the day I'm not. Hopefully the vast majority of the fans aren't either. I have no idea if this is a new bottom - or if another one is just around the corner. But it doesn't matter because I can't control it. I can only control my reaction to it. So I choose Frank.

Each time I find myself flat on this face
I pick myself up and get back in the race

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,045

Post#212 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:50 pm

gandlogo wrote:I feel broken, but at the end of the day I'm not. Hopefully the vast majority of the fans aren't either. I have no idea if this is a new bottom - or if another one is just around the corner. But it doesn't matter because I can't control it. I can only control my reaction to it. So I choose Frank.

Each time I find myself flat on this face
I pick myself up and get back in the race

Post of the month candidate.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Post#213 » by Dewey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:05 pm

I hate the "pout" interview. You're a part of the problem or a part of the solution, so you have two choices on how to respond to reporters when your being interviewed. "I'm a part of this mess we're in and I'm gonna see it through" or "I'm not buying in and just wanna collect my check and get out of here".

Truth is: You don't truly appreciate being on top until you've been on the bottom. Many young players have never been on the bottom as a losing team and cannot handle the challenges to see it through. This will be interesting. More than likely some of the them will come out swinging and feel destined to turn the ship around. Others will go through the motion remainder of the season merely looking for the end. I'm anxious to see who's who post SAC meltdown...
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#214 » by Jedzz » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:20 pm

Calinks wrote:I actually see us improving this season. Not sure when but I see the team getting it together to a degree and going on a run. This right now is pretty close to rock bottom, can't say it is rock bottom as there is always another level but it's close. The team will find a way to start winning games again.

That said, it will wind up screwing us by pushing back our draft position. Still I think things will click and we will have a nice run at some point. We are still only halfway through the season, a lot of time left. It wont mean we make the playoffs or anything, the team will just look better.

That's pretty much most seasons. After their chances to do anything or reach the playoffs are gone, they start winning games, Late February/March. Right? Ruins draft position, but for whatever reason that's when it happens. Usually by that point playoff teams are already locked into the playoffs and only have seeding they desire left to play for.

I'm not going to be able to shorten this.

Here's the thing. Kyrie recently called the NBA a staged drama form of entertainment more or less. I'm not a Kyrie fan at all, but there seems to be some truth to this. We know the refs of the NBA are so bad they border on corrupt most nights. The allowance of which to continue by the League Office more than borders on corrupt. But let's say they aren't corrupt and wilfully causing wins and losses, yet they may be driving up the drama of games that otherwise would be snoozers and that wouldn't draw any attention, couldn't hold audiences. For instance, games that are out of hand early, "laughers", as Dave Benz was describing this one coming up to half time.

What if there is significant involvement by refs to help a team back into the game of a "laugher" situation. This would keep fanbases of the team suffering in a laugher around to watch longer. They don't shut the game off because their team is fighting to get back into it. Or so it seems anyway. Without which, maybe the Timberwolves continue building that lead from 27 to 47 before the fourth quarter. What Kings fan would have been still watching? Is it Zero? As far as TV viewers, possibly. And that's a very big, very costly problem.

There has been a few alarming Wolves finishes this year such as this one. Maybe not quite as extreme, but close. There was even a win where Wiggins supposedly scored 11pts in two minutes ftw. But did the win really come from just his shooting, or did the refs also help with every little foul call as well? Every little out of bounds call, every little thing? How about the Bulls comeback win this season erasing an insurmountable deficit in mere seconds. It was comic book fiction that game. Are these examples that just went too far and the drama directors actually helped the losers win because the team on the wrong side of each of the refs little decisions meant to sustain a game just broke down and collapsed from it all?

If we really looked at the second half of this game, play by play, would we find that the refs were helping to turn to tide or helping to massage the ebs and flows? A massive lead was not only erased, but a team was demoralized throughout most of it. Demorlizing the players can lead to less effort, more complaining, more feeling unjust weight against them. And if you are missing the very important role of Team Leaders, the kind of players that stand taller in such situations, such a thing could easily break your team. This could be all that's needed to become a 1 in 8,000 example. The refs didn't necessarily force you to lose, or no more than they usually do while keeping games interesting. The fact the team isn't being Led by anyone simply allows that extra weight to destroy them. Where other better teams are simply led by leaders to refocus and finish games.

All his career so far, KAT has been wise enough during interviews to not say the wrong things. It's really quite amazing really how composed and measured he seems as a speaker in public when you compare it to the very uncomposed, sloppy, immature and emotional actions we see play out during his games. There doesn't appear to be a game leader when he's around. Wiggins, if he was a more consistent performer, seems like he could. But of course, Wiggins does not bring his best to each game often and there in lies the failure there to be a game leader. Wiggins play in last nights game was very good. But if you look at the little things, he is doing so quietly. He finishes so softly at the net, he avoids punishing the opponents these days, and of course there are moments in games were he vanishes entirely. Both he and Kat do. They are so quiet at times a single Okogie finish at the rim, or KBD slam seems like something we haven't seen all year and riles up the whole team. Can we agree these moments are far to thin and rare? See one slam from Kat every two games. None from Wiggs. Who is going to joice this team? Just bench fodders that only play around 20 mintues?

The record and events during games without KAT should be reviewed, as I think we've seen other players step up a little to be better game leaders in those moments. Either someone else steps up soon to organically lead this team even with Kat around, or they bring someone in for that role (like Butler once was) and they tell Kat to live with it. Or, just make a change by changing the kitty litter out for a new brand.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,111
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#215 » by cpfsf » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:40 pm

I think its just a bad combination

Always treadmilling
Horrible history
Currently bad
Not a place where players wanna go

Like I feel their plan is to settle for being the 6-14 worst team. And what's the appeal. To see my favorite player get traded again?

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#216 » by Jedzz » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:52 pm

cpfsf wrote:I think its just a bad combination

Always treadmilling
Horrible history
Currently bad

Like I feel their plan is to settle for being the 6-14 worst team. And what's the appeal. To see my favorite player get traded again?

For lack of a better term, that seems like a copout. Most of those things do. They constantly make the wrong choices and don't work quickly to rectify them once it's understood, or if it's even understood. I'm sorry but the decision to keep Wiggins and Kat as core appears to be a big failure. The year they made that decision and Wiggins didn't leap into a leadership role it should have been recognized and he should have never got a Max here. He should have been traded on the spot before that happened. They've been dragging this out the hard way ever since.

At this point I think they have to break up that duo by moving one of them, regardless of who. They've let it go too long now.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#217 » by Killboard » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:10 pm

Didn't see the game thankfully. No starters were negative on +/-. The rotation is very thin quality wise. Where the hell is Jake Layman?
Grubie024
Junior
And1: 416

Post#218 » by Grubie024 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:28 pm

Dewey wrote:I hate the "pout" interview. You're a part of the problem or a part of the solution, so you have two choices on how to respond to reporters when your being interviewed. "I'm a part of this mess we're in and I'm gonna see it through" or "I'm not buying in and just wanna collect my check and get out of here".

Truth is: You don't truly appreciate being on top until you've been on the bottom. Many young players have never been on the bottom as a losing team and cannot handle the challenges to see it through. This will be interesting. More than likely some of the them will come out swinging and feel destined to turn the ship around. Others will go through the motion remainder of the season merely looking for the end. I'm anxious to see who's who post SAC meltdown...

In my opinion, that ship has sailed. The only guys worth mentioning with any dog in them are Culver, RoCo and Okogie. These guys are mere role players. We can talk about Culver's potential, but his lack of scoring ability makes me very skeptical of his long term prospects.

That interview of Towns shows he has no dog in him. My god... I'd never follow that guy into battle. When you fall off the horse, you get back up. This man doesn't get back up... not for a long time, and this should be blatantly obvious by now.

The only two factors that really matter at this point are:
1. Glenn Taylor as owner (don't need to explain why to the hardcore fans on RealGM)
2. Core pieces have zero mental toughness

The rest is just filler
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,111
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#219 » by cpfsf » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:04 am

Jedzz wrote:
cpfsf wrote:I think its just a bad combination

Always treadmilling
Horrible history
Currently bad

For lack of a better term, that seems like a copout. Most of those things do. They constantly make the wrong choices and don't work quickly to rectify them once it's understood, or if it's even understood. I'm sorry but the decision to keep Wiggins and Kat as core appears to be a big failure. The year they made that decision and Wiggins didn't leap into a leadership role it should have been recognized and he should have never got a Max here. He should have been traded on the spot before that happened. They've been dragging this out the hard way ever since.

At this point I think they have to break up that duo by moving one of them, regardless of who. They've let it go too long now.

Im not sure what the copout is. I'm just commenting that it's difficult to cheer for a bad team. At times it feels like I'm cheering more for an organization than our high turnover roster.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#220 » by Calinks » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:38 am

So the word is that KAT bolted from the locker room post game.He is getting absolutely killed by some in the local media today. They destroying him, calling him out for being the team captain and leaving Shabazz Napier to do the interview.

Much of this is earned but I do think a bit of it is being blown out of proportion. Fair or not though this is the position he is in and he does need to show better leadership.

Pay KG whatever he wants to come in here and be KAt's personal coach for a year, lol. So many fans are done this is a big time low point.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves