ImageImageImage

Time for Saunders to go?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Re: Time for Saunders to go? 

Post#281 » by Killboard » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:49 pm

Now that KAT is back Saunders evaluation should be clearer. Were the two first game a mirage or something they can recrete? KAT likely isn't in his best form issues but as the season goes I expect him to get it back and the team to win between .400 to .500 of the remaining games. If they can't then Edwards, Culver and McDaniels must be impressive. If neither of both are true then a change is required.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 2,019

Post#282 » by Sugarless » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:54 am

Klomp wrote:
Sugarless wrote:I guess no one on the coaching staff finds anything wrong with this:

Timberwolves' top-5 players with the most FGA per 100 possessions

D'Angelo Russell - 26.5
Malik Beasley - 24.9
Anthony Edwards - 24.1
Jaylen Nowell - 23.6
Karl-Anthony Towns - 23.5

Towns has played a grand total of six games. During the other 20 games, someone has to be taking those shots. They get redistributed, inflating some totals.

That affects, sure, but unfortunately it's only part of it. KAT getting outshot has been a constant this season, and what's troubling is that for the most part it's guys that are way less efficient and who are taking too many bad shots. We saw it last night yet again, Towns shot nearly 73% from the floor but he only took 11 shots and was 4th on the team in attempts and 8th in shots per 100 poss. Luckily some of his teammates made a few more than usual and they got away with the win, but that's the exception as we know and it's not sustainable. The coaching staff needs to work on getting him the ball in a position to score (it would help to have a system) and to keep other players in check when they're wasting possessions by taking bad shots.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Post#283 » by Dewey » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:32 pm

Sugarless wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Sugarless wrote:I guess no one on the coaching staff finds anything wrong with this:

D'Angelo Russell - 26.5
Malik Beasley - 24.9
Anthony Edwards - 24.1
Jaylen Nowell - 23.6

Towns has played a grand total of six games. During the other 20 games, someone has to be taking those shots. They get redistributed, inflating some totals.

That affects, sure, but unfortunately it's only part of it. KAT getting outshot has been a constant this season, and what's troubling is that for the most part it's guys that are way less efficient and who are taking too many bad shots. We saw it last night yet again, Towns shot nearly 73% from the floor but he only took 11 shots and was 4th on the team in attempts and 8th in shots per 100 poss. Luckily some of his teammates made a few more than usual and they got away with the win, but that's the exception as we know and it's not sustainable. The coaching staff needs to work on getting him the ball in a position to score (it would help to have a system) and to keep other players in check when they're wasting possessions by taking bad shots.

I’d like to see KAT (with others who can score) get his assists up ... I like him as a triple threat up around the free-throw line Where can hit cutters, pick and roll, pick and pop, shoot, 1-dribble drive, etc... not that into who shoots as long as they are good shots, go in, and in sync
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Sugarless
Starter

Post#284 » by Sugarless » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:17 pm

Dewey wrote:
Sugarless wrote:
Klomp wrote:Towns has played a grand total of six games. During the other 20 games, someone has to be taking those shots. They get redistributed, inflating some totals.

I’d like to see KAT (with others who can score) get his assists up ... I like him as a triple threat up around the free-throw line Where can hit cutters, pick and roll, pick and pop, shoot, 1-dribble drive, etc... not that into who shoots as long as they are good shots, go in, and in sync

I think he can be a very good passer and I'm sure his assists will be up eventually. Other than quickness (he's lost a step as he's bulked up over the years) he really has it all on offense. And I'm not against other guys shooting as much as needed either. I'm against inefficient guys taking bad shots. Beasley is a good example of a guy who takes a lot of shots but is efficient and usually does it within the offense. He's not much of a passer, but he also doesn't kill too many offensive possessions going 1-on-5 or pounding the ball for too long while he looks for his shot.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,071

Post#285 » by wolves_89 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:38 am

It's been said over and over that Saunders can't be evaluated until DLO and KAT are able to play together. I guess with the Russell injury it means Saunders gets another 4-6 week reprieve before his performance evaluation can start. It looks like Ryan will be able to avoid any repercussions due to his poor coaching for the whole season.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,595

Post#286 » by WolfAddict » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:02 am

Saunders CAN be evaluated without the KAT/Towns combo in my opinion - I mean, injuries happen all the time, and one of the coaches jobs is to change up the gameplan to compensate. Ryan is ridiculously bad at this as he has shown all season.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,644

Post#287 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:24 am

WolfAddict wrote:Saunders CAN be evaluated without the KAT/Towns combo in my opinion - I mean, injuries happen all the time, and one of the coaches jobs is to change up the gameplan to compensate. Ryan is ridiculously bad at this as he has shown all season.

He can be judged, but it also has to be done in context. Very few people are doing that around here.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,595

Post#288 » by WolfAddict » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:51 am

Klomp wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:Saunders CAN be evaluated without the KAT/Towns combo in my opinion - I mean, injuries happen all the time, and one of the coaches jobs is to change up the gameplan to compensate. Ryan is ridiculously bad at this as he has shown all season.

He can be judged, but it also has to be done in context. Very few people are doing that around here.

I disagree sorry brother - I think most posters take into account what the other factors are, and therefore are being objective.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,276

Post#289 » by _AIJ_ » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:43 am

How clueless is Ryan??
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Sugarless
Starter

Post#290 » by Sugarless » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:14 am

Sugarless wrote:
Klomp wrote:

D'Angelo Russell - 26.5
Malik Beasley - 24.9
Anthony Edwards - 24.1
Jaylen Nowell - 23.6

10 shots in 33 minutes, with another 0.700 FG%. 2 attempts in the entire second half. None in the fourth quarter. 7th on the team in shots per 100 / per minute. He was 8th last game so I guess you can call that improvement.

Wonder what the next excuse will be. I've been watching this **** for years.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Post#291 » by Dewey » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:46 am

Sugarless wrote:
Sugarless wrote:
Klomp wrote:Towns has played a grand total of six games. During the other 20 games, someone has to be taking those shots. They get redistributed, inflating some totals.

10 shots in 33 minutes, with another 0.700 FG%. 2 attempts in the entire second half. None in the fourth quarter. 7th on the team in shots per 100 / per minute. He was 8th last game so I guess you can call that improvement.

Wonder what the next excuse will be. I've been watching this **** for years.

So ... we need a stat line now that tracks attempts? Then maybe Ryan can sub out players who have same or more attempts to help. If/when KAT wants the ball more he will get the ball more. Harden went from 23 fga to 15 in NJ ... maybe there’s an issue there too
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Sugarless
Starter

Post#292 » by Sugarless » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:58 am

Dewey wrote:So ... we need a stat line now that tracks attempts? Then maybe Ryan can sub out players who have same or more attempts to help. If/when KAT wants the ball more he will get the ball more. Harden went from 23 fga to 15 in NJ ... maybe there’s an issue there too

You may be onto something there, because Harden now shares the court with Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant, and Towns shares it with Jaylen Nowell and Anthony Edwards, which is nearly the same. :D

The stat lines reflect what you can see during the games. I just explained the play-by-play of the last 4 minutes of a close game in the Lakers post-game thread, for those who didn't watch and those who did but still can't understand how they're seeing the same **** develop in front of their eyes yet again. KAT can't shoot if he doesn't touch the ball, it's as simple as that.
Chello1
Junior
And1: 114

Post#293 » by Chello1 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:50 pm

The guy needs to be fired! Again, his rotations are terrible. He puts a lineup out there without any scorers in the 4th quarter for over 3 minutes and the lead more than doubled for L.A.! Meanwhile the Lakers keep King James on the court and they essentially win the game with 7 minutes left or so. Dumb as hell..... I can't take it anymore....
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#294 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:38 pm

The Timberwolves have had 13 coaches in franchise history. Saunders is 7th in win percentage.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#295 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:16 pm

Read on Twitter

People are in such a hurry for a quick fix and want to move on, but I don't think they realize the negative effect all these changes can have on the players.

Has Saunders been great? No. Will firing Saunders be automatic improvement for the club in all aspects? Probably not.

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#296 » by Jedzz » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:17 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

People are in such a hurry for a quick fix and want to move on, but I don't think they realize the negative effect all these changes can have on the players.

Has Saunders been great? No. Will firing Saunders be automatic improvement for the club in all aspects? Probably not.

Well, if there is even the slightest chance he'll stop playing Okogie then maybe. For one of many things that could be easily fixed. But of course the tank, so probably nothing changes.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves