Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 16,338

Re: Jaden McDaniels thread 

Post#41 » by shrink » Mon Aug 2, 2021 9:58 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Ben Simmons is very good at this game called Basketball.

::Brace yourself for geeky-shrink.::

Ben Simmons reminds me of Mon El. When I was a kid, I read a lot of comics. DC used to have Superboy go to the 30th century and join up with the Legion of Super Heroes - a group of 40 different superheroes from various planets around the galaxy. One of those was Mon El. Mon El had all of Superboy’s powers .. strength, flight, super speed, laser vision, etc etc etc. the ultimate superhero package. However, while Superboy’s weakness was the extremely rare kryptonite, Mon El’s weakness was lead. A bullet would kill Mon El.

Mon El is very good at the game of superheroing. He’s more powerful than nearly anyone in the Legion. However, he has a weakness that his foes can easily take advantage of.

Ben Simmons shooting is the same to me. If you can’t (or are unwilling) to shoot, or you have confidence issues, opposing teams will target you. These weaknesses were exposed on the biggest stage in the NBA. Opposing coaches in close games will Hack-a-Ben, particularly in the playoffs.

If Simmons had shown the ability to respond, and to improve his game, I’d be less concerned. That has not been the case, over many years now.

So I don’t disagree that Simmons is a great defender, and he has been successful with the ball in his hands, close to the basket in the regular season. That’s great. But in the NBA, opponents are going to go after you where you are weak, and you need to be able to respond. That isn’t Simmons. He’s great at basketball, except for a fatal (5) flaw, that is unavoidable.

The flaw isn't fatal or he wouldn't be as good as he is. If this flaw was so fatal than the 76ers would have been losing to the Hawks during his time on the floor. They outscored the Hawks with Simmons on the floor 6 games out of 7 and tied with him on the floor in the other game. Can't be a fatal flaw.

I think it’s been irrevocably exposed now.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,272

Post#42 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 2, 2021 10:52 pm

shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:::Brace yourself for geeky-shrink.::

Ben Simmons reminds me of Mon El. When I was a kid, I read a lot of comics. DC used to have Superboy go to the 30th century and join up with the Legion of Super Heroes - a group of 40 different superheroes from various planets around the galaxy. One of those was Mon El. Mon El had all of Superboy’s powers .. strength, flight, super speed, laser vision, etc etc etc. the ultimate superhero package. However, while Superboy’s weakness was the extremely rare kryptonite, Mon El’s weakness was lead. A bullet would kill Mon El.

Mon El is very good at the game of superheroing. He’s more powerful than nearly anyone in the Legion. However, he has a weakness that his foes can easily take advantage of.

Ben Simmons shooting is the same to me. If you can’t (or are unwilling) to shoot, or you have confidence issues, opposing teams will target you. These weaknesses were exposed on the biggest stage in the NBA. Opposing coaches in close games will Hack-a-Ben, particularly in the playoffs.

If Simmons had shown the ability to respond, and to improve his game, I’d be less concerned. That has not been the case, over many years now.

So I don’t disagree that Simmons is a great defender, and he has been successful with the ball in his hands, close to the basket in the regular season. That’s great. But in the NBA, opponents are going to go after you where you are weak, and you need to be able to respond. That isn’t Simmons. He’s great at basketball, except for a fatal (5) flaw, that is unavoidable.

The flaw isn't fatal or he wouldn't be as good as he is. If this flaw was so fatal than the 76ers would have been losing to the Hawks during his time on the floor. They outscored the Hawks with Simmons on the floor 6 games out of 7 and tied with him on the floor in the other game. Can't be a fatal flaw.

I think it’s been irrevocably exposed now.

I wish every Wolves player other than Ant and KAT were equally flawed. We would win about 80% of our games I would guess. Maybe better.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,933

Post#43 » by Krapinsky » Thu Aug 5, 2021 3:49 pm

Somehow McDaniels looks skinnier than he did last year. He needs to hit the gym.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Baseline81
Veteran
And1: 1,527

Post#44 » by Baseline81 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 4:01 pm

Krapinsky wrote:Somehow McDaniels looks skinnier than he did last year. He needs to hit the gym.

Suppose it depends on where you see him down the road. I like as the team's SF. But yes, if you think he's the solution at PF, putting mass on is a necessity.
Read on Twitter
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,933

Post#45 » by Krapinsky » Thu Aug 5, 2021 4:13 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:Somehow McDaniels looks skinnier than he did last year. He needs to hit the gym.

Suppose it depends on where you see him down the road. I like as the team's SF. But yes, if you think he's the solution at PF, putting mass on is a necessity.
Read on Twitter

I think he's too slight for a SF
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#46 » by moonpie » Thu Aug 5, 2021 7:46 pm

Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 205

Post#47 » by Battletrigger » Fri Aug 6, 2021 9:09 am

Always amuses me how NBA players can completely change their bodies in two months.

NBA doctors have the Panoramix receipt :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,642

Post#48 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:06 am

The Timberwolves are using the summer league team as a playground for McDaniels, who has been a regular at the team’s practice facility in Minneapolis all summer long. McDaniels said he has added more than five pounds of muscle to his slender frame, and he looked stronger and sturdier in the Wolves’ summer league opener Monday against San Antonio.

“You might not see it, but I know I’m getting stronger,” McDaniels said. “I’ve been lifting every day.”

McDaniels was all over the place against the Spurs, handling the ball in the half court, distributing, scoring and defending. He even played some center in the fourth quarter when coach Jeff Newton needed to get big man Nathan Knight a little breather. The versatility has become McDaniels’ calling card, which could help out the Wolves in another way. They pursued a power forward upgrade in trade talks once free agency opened but to this point have not found an upgrade on their current group. McDaniels seemed to be trending more to the small forward position, but the Wolves may need him to play power forward next to Karl-Anthony Towns.

“The moment the pick before us was picked, there was a ton of excitement in the room because we had executed our plan,” Rosas said. “We wanted Ant at 1, we wanted to pick up Bolmaro with the flexibility and we wanted to pick up Jaden. You don’t typically have things work out for you as you planned it.”

The Wolves appear to have made strong choices in Edwards and McDaniels and should find out about Bolmaro if he comes over from Spain for next season, which is expected. That doesn’t mean that being without a draft pick in 2021 was easy to overcome, but if the Wolves can walk away from the 2020 class going 3 for 3, it sure would make a big difference.

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#49 » by moonpie » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:55 pm

Read on Twitter
shrink
RealGM
And1: 16,338

Post#50 » by shrink » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:34 pm

Britt’s article mentioned two very flattering things Chris Finch had to say about McDaniels

1. He’s Pippin-esque, though that’s a near superhuman level to reach.

2. He has the best base on the team to stack on new skills.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 15,068

Post#51 » by Calinks » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:03 am

beezy wrote:The way Jaden moves, especially on some breakaway layups last year plus his shot blocking instincts reminds me of Scottie Pippen. Now don't think that I believe that's the career he's going to have. Maybe consider him Scottie Pippen light. He has the same body type and if you remember Pippen, when he came into the league, was questioned because of his slight frame. Pippen tirelessly worked on his game until about 4 years into his career he was starting to be viewed as all-star caliber. I think Jaden is very motivated and will do the same in terms of working on his game. Bottom line for me anyway is: Jaden is just a hair less untouchable than Ant, but not by much.

Chris Finch in an interview:“The reason why we increased his workload and his use of the ball [en ligue d’été], it is in the hope that, when he is a second creator rather than a simple shooter in catch-and-shoot, it is there that we will reap the fruits of his progress. He can be Scottie Pippen-esque. We always talk about fighting for every possession. He defended over Luka Doncic and James Harden, two phenomenal players, and if they beat him once, he comes back to defend on the next possession. I love this kid. He has such a solid base and I think his potential is high, very high. “

Beezy the head coach things similary. I myself have not seen this but my eyes will be more open, that's massive praise and if he becomes a poor man's Pippen, we are going places.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 15,068

Post#52 » by Calinks » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:59 am

shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Ben Simmons is very good at this game called Basketball.

::Brace yourself for geeky-shrink.::

Never heard of Mon El but I love the way you set this up. I'm still interested in Simmons but this is a great post 10/10 would read again lol.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
beezy
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#53 » by beezy » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:52 pm

Calinks wrote:
beezy wrote:The way Jaden moves, especially on some breakaway layups last year plus his shot blocking instincts reminds me of Scottie Pippen. Now don't think that I believe that's the career he's going to have. Maybe consider him Scottie Pippen light. He has the same body type and if you remember Pippen, when he came into the league, was questioned because of his slight frame. Pippen tirelessly worked on his game until about 4 years into his career he was starting to be viewed as all-star caliber. I think Jaden is very motivated and will do the same in terms of working on his game. Bottom line for me anyway is: Jaden is just a hair less untouchable than Ant, but not by much.

Chris Finch in an interview:“The reason why we increased his workload and his use of the ball [en ligue d’été], it is in the hope that, when he is a second creator rather than a simple shooter in catch-and-shoot, it is there that we will reap the fruits of his progress. He can be Scottie Pippen-esque. We always talk about fighting for every possession. He defended over Luka Doncic and James Harden, two phenomenal players, and if they beat him once, he comes back to defend on the next possession. I love this kid. He has such a solid base and I think his potential is high, very high. “

Beezy the head coach things similary. I myself have not seen this but my eyes will be more open, that's massive praise and if he becomes a poor man's Pippen, we are going places.

Thanks Calinks. I was shocked when I heard that from Chris Finch. I actually think we now have our Jordan and Pippen with Ant and Jaden. Maybe 80% versions of the real thing at the ceiling but, hey maybe more. These guys were younger by 2 years than Jordan and Pippen when they entered the league. This is the true core. KAT and DLo are along for the ride as long as we can keep them.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,642

Post#54 » by Klomp » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:18 pm

Don't look up Scottie Pippen's rookie stats. Don't do it. It's a trap.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Baseline81
Veteran
And1: 1,527

Post#55 » by Baseline81 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:56 pm

Klomp wrote:Don't look up Scottie Pippen's rookie stats. Don't do it. It's a trap.

And that was Pippen at age of 22.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,556

Post#56 » by Foye » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:01 pm

McDaniels is one of the few decisions Rosas actually has gotten right but...jesus...

It should be forbidden to name Pippen and McDaniels in the same sentence.

One is a 6x NBA champ, 7x All-NBA, 7x Allstar, 10x All Defense
and the other one is a fairly promissing rookie.
beezy
Sophomore

Post#57 » by beezy » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:11 pm

But jesus..... Finch did it and he's forgotten more about basketball than we'll ever know.
beezy
Sophomore

Post#58 » by beezy » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:50 pm

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,272

Post#59 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:56 pm

beezy wrote:https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=pippesc01&p1yrfrom=1988&player_id2=mcdanja02&p2yrfrom=2021

Stats head to head for rookie years (Pippen age 22 Jaden age 20)

It may be fun to look at and speculate, but it's meaningless. Many players had far more productive rookie seasons than Pippen that aren't in the Hall of Fame.
beezy
Sophomore

Post#60 » by beezy » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:04 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
beezy wrote:https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=pippesc01&p1yrfrom=1988&player_id2=mcdanja02&p2yrfrom=2021

Stats head to head for rookie years (Pippen age 22 Jaden age 20)

It may be fun to look at and speculate, but it's meaningless. Many players had far more productive rookie seasons than Pippen that aren't in the Hall of Fame.

The point I'm making is that they were/are both "potential" players. They have similarities and hell, we are all beaten down hardened pessimists as Wolves fans, Why not have some fun with speculation? Especially when the Head Coach makes the comparison.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves