ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part 14): 2023-24 Edition

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,407

Re: Trade Talk (Part 14): 2023-24 Edition 

Post#41 » by King Ken » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:06 pm

As a Hawk fan, I have zero interest in a Murray trade for anyone. You are probably the only team outside of Cleveland I have full interest in a Trae trade and willing to give multiple 1sts to bring Ant back home. Ant is the real deal and he's someone we covet.

Gobert is a player I have interest in personally but his contract is just too bad. If he was making 25 million a year. I would consider a Bey and Capela trade for sure. But his current salary makes him unaffordable for us and he's someone I think would made a difference for sure.

I really like KAT but I don't see a good offer we could make for him. His salary is too much as well and it gets awful next year.

The Knicks probably got the best package for KAT. Easily.

Evan, Randle, and picks, we can't beat that.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#42 » by King Ken » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:10 pm

TimberKat wrote:
Note30 wrote:
Guest84 wrote:How does everyone feel about Dejounte Murray? I know there was some previous conversation about him. If we were to trade anyone, I personally think we need to target a pg. With him and Trey, it's possible one could be traded for depending on how the Hawks perform.

A 6'5" young vet pg would be ideal in my opinion. Whether it would be him, who knows but I think he or a player like him would be great next to Ant and Jaden.

Prior to Gobert trade I had suggested trading 3 first round picks plus Russell and Beasley for Murray and Poeltl.

That would have been an amazing trade had it gone through. We'd have Towns, Reid, Anderson, Poeltl. I was suggesting we trade 2024, 2026, 2028, so probably Walker Kessler too. If Towns didn't shape out this year we could trade him for an actual position of need or quality backups like people here are suggesting.

I like Murray and would love to have him with or without the Gobert trade. However, he played out of his mind last night. I watched him a few times but nothing near what he did last night.

Like I previously stated, not interested in a Murray trade but he was excellent for us last year. We put a lot on him and he played a ton of mins. Quin took a lot off of him and he's performing better
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,784

Post#43 » by TimberKat » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:26 pm

King Ken wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
Note30 wrote:
Prior to Gobert trade I had suggested trading 3 first round picks plus Russell and Beasley for Murray and Poeltl.

That would have been an amazing trade had it gone through. We'd have Towns, Reid, Anderson, Poeltl. I was suggesting we trade 2024, 2026, 2028, so probably Walker Kessler too. If Towns didn't shape out this year we could trade him for an actual position of need or quality backups like people here are suggesting.

I like Murray and would love to have him with or without the Gobert trade. However, he played out of his mind last night. I watched him a few times but nothing near what he did last night.

Like I previously stated, not interested in a Murray trade but he was excellent for us last year. We put a lot on him and he played a ton of mins. Quin took a lot off of him and he's performing better

King Ken it is so nice to have you here to rub it in :D I was thinking more Murray trade with SAS but let's wait until mid season and see if Quin will last that long. Ant is his own man and no need to run back home. Besides, it's too hot in Atlanta anyway :D We can give you Minott to take Trae Young off your hands. I think you really should had drafted Luka instead. He fits what you guys are doing much better. :D - just fun and games after a terrible lose.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,623

Post#44 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:18 pm

King Ken wrote:As a Hawk fan, I have zero interest in a Murray trade for anyone. You are probably the only team outside of Cleveland I have full interest in a Trae trade and willing to give multiple 1sts to bring Ant back home. Ant is the real deal and he's someone we covet.

Gobert is a player I have interest in personally but his contract is just too bad. If he was making 25 million a year. I would consider a Bey and Capela trade for sure. But his current salary makes him unaffordable for us and he's someone I think would made a difference for sure.

I really like KAT but I don't see a good offer we could make for him. His salary is too much as well and it gets awful next year.

That's OK, we have absolutely no interest in Trae either. And there aren't enough 1sts in the next decade to trade Ant.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#45 » by King Ken » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:50 pm

TimberKat wrote:
King Ken wrote:
TimberKat wrote:I like Murray and would love to have him with or without the Gobert trade. However, he played out of his mind last night. I watched him a few times but nothing near what he did last night.

King Ken it is so nice to have you here to rub it in :D I was thinking more Murray trade with SAS but let's wait until mid season and see if Quin will last that long. Ant is his own man and no need to run back home. Besides, it's too hot in Atlanta anyway :D We can give you Minott to take Trae Young off your hands. I think you really should had drafted Luka instead. He fits what you guys are doing much better. :D - just fun and games after a terrible lose.

I don't believe there are too many of our fans who would disagree on having Luka over Trae but it is what it is. Trae been a model citizen. He can only do the best he can. Minott has some potential to eventually be a role player in your scheme, wish him the best of course. But if you ever want to see that 11 jersey with Young in Minnesota color's, sending Ant back home would be great appreciated from our side
King Ken
General Manager

Post#46 » by King Ken » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:53 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
King Ken wrote:As a Hawk fan, I have zero interest in a Murray trade for anyone. You are probably the only team outside of Cleveland I have full interest in a Trae trade and willing to give multiple 1sts to bring Ant back home. Ant is the real deal and he's someone we covet.

That's OK, we have absolutely no interest in Trae either. And there aren't enough 1sts in the next decade to trade Ant.

I don't blame you my brother. The list of players I would trade Ant is makes it look like a blank loose leaf piece of paper
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,746

Post#47 » by shrink » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:41 pm

King Ken wrote:I don't believe there are too many of our fans who would disagree on having Luka over Trae but it is what it is. Trae been a model citizen. He can only do the best he can. Minott has some potential to eventually be a role player in your scheme, wish him the best of course. But if you ever want to see that 11 jersey with Young in Minnesota color's, sending Ant back home would be great appreciated from our side

I think there are very few MIN fans that want to trade for Trae Young. We used to see non-MIN fans present a lot of Trae-to-MIN deals, but .. meh.

And obviously ZERO interest in trading Ant. He’s already our franchise, and our future.

(And good eye on Minott. 95% of the people out there have no idea who he is)
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,676

Post#48 » by Note30 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:56 pm

King Ken wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

I don't blame you my brother. The list of players I would trade Ant is makes it look like a blank loose leaf piece of paper

I don't know about that. There's quite a few packages I'd trade Ant for, they just wouldn't be realistic prices for most teams.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#49 » by King Ken » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:43 pm

Note30 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

I don't know about that. There's quite a few packages I'd trade Ant for, they just wouldn't be realistic prices for most teams.

Realistically of course
shrink
RealGM

Post#50 » by shrink » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:21 pm

Note30 wrote:I don't know about that. There's quite a few packages I'd trade Ant for, they just wouldn't be realistic prices for most teams.

I’m glad you feel comfortable enough here to say how you feel. But now we must attack you with pitchforks and torches. :wink:

The problem for most teams when it comes to their top guy is that their guy is already living there, and most want to be in that spot. Giannis and Jokic are better than Ant, but players of this caliber have the power to force a trade whenever they want - and usually to a specific team. Edwards has always been positive about MInnesota, the fans, the players, and the coach. Even if the other team was willing to trade their Jokic (and remember, he’s happy on his own team), the risk that he would want to leave is particularly dangerous for the 25 or so non-FA-destinations. With the excitement around Ant, I don’t think I can think of anyone I’d trade him for, hoping the new guy would want to stick around.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,810

Post#51 » by minimus » Wed Nov 1, 2023 8:23 pm

Read on Twitter

I posted a few trade ideas with Vassell, someone asked me why. Above is one of examples why.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#52 » by TimberKat » Wed Nov 1, 2023 11:58 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

I posted a few trade ideas with Vassell, someone asked me why. Above is one of examples why.

I should had listened :D I don't know how his contract impacted JMcD's contract. It should be JMcD gets less that Vassell.
cmoss84
Junior
And1: 117

Post#53 » by cmoss84 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 4:25 am

Orlando and Detroit have so many PGs. Maybe we can get our PG of the future from one of them???
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,268

Post#54 » by Neeva » Fri Nov 3, 2023 4:37 am

cmoss84 wrote:Orlando and Detroit have so many PGs. Maybe we can get our PG of the future from one of them???

They do have a lot but they are not good ones though.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,146

Post#55 » by shangrila » Sat Nov 4, 2023 9:05 am

Would any of you trade Naz for Tyus Jones?

I hate losing Naz but Jones makes too much sense as a long-term answer at PG.
shrink
RealGM

Post#56 » by shrink » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:06 pm

shangrila wrote:Would any of you trade Naz for Tyus Jones?

I would. Tyus and Naz are statistical opposites. Tyus isn’t flashy, but his team stats are through the roof, every year. Last year he was nipped at the finish line of leading the entire NBA in ATO .. for the fifth straight year! Naz is awesome to watch, but he has had some of the worst two-man pairings with multiple players. People trash Towns for his defense, Naz is much worse. He should rebound better at his size.

There are two things that makes me hesitate on making this swap. First, Naz is popular with his teammates and the fans, and he took a small pay cut to be on the Wolves. That should be rewarded. The second thing is Naz’ work ethic and his ability to grow. Naz came in undrafted with a serious lack of NBA skills,so he had many areas he could work on. Playing under a vet min deal where you can get cut each season, I don’t blame him a bit for focusing on his scoring and ball-handling .. offense gets you paid. Perhaps now that he’s been paid, we’ll see a switch in his developmental focus to defense and rebounding next summer, and I never want to bet against Naz’ diligence on improving areas of his game.
shrink
RealGM

Post#57 » by shrink » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:11 pm

Neeva wrote:
cmoss84 wrote:Orlando and Detroit have so many PGs. Maybe we can get our PG of the future from one of them???

They do have a lot but they are not good ones though.

I agree, and it would take a keen developmental eye (which maybe Connelly has?) to pick out the one guy that might emerge as a legit PG given the opportunity. Right now, both teams have too many PG’s, and they cannabalize each others’ minutes at that spot to fully develop. Maybe Suggs or Jaden Ivey could become a Top 30 PG here, but we don’t really have a full idea what they are. If we could make that determination, those teams would be a place to make a cheaper value investment, because they are certainly worth less to their PG-laden teams than they are elsewhere.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,679

Post#58 » by jpatrick » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:48 pm

shrink wrote:

I would. Tyus and Naz are statistical opposites. Tyus isn’t flashy, but his team stats are through the roof, every year. Last year he was nipped at the finish line of leading the entire NBA in ATO .. for the fifth straight year! Naz is awesome to watch, but he has had some of the worst two-man pairings with multiple players. People trash Towns for his defense, Naz is much worse. He should rebound better at his size.

There are two things that makes me hesitate on making this swap. First, Naz is popular with his teammates and the fans, and he took a small pay cut to be on the Wolves. That should be rewarded. The second thing is Naz’ work ethic and his ability to grow. Naz came in undrafted with a serious lack of NBA skills,so he had many areas he could work on. Playing under a vet min deal where you can get cut each season, I don’t blame him a bit for focusing on his scoring and ball-handling .. offense gets you paid. Perhaps now that he’s been paid, we’ll see a switch in his developmental focus to defense and rebounding next summer, and I never want to bet against Naz’ diligence on improving areas of his game.

I wouldn’t. Largely for your second point. I think you need to grow that Ant/McDaniels core, and Naz seems tight with that group. There has to be synergy around that group and having such a hard worker in Naz means a lot.

Plus, moving Naz makes a hole. He’s not your typical scoring sixth man but that’s his role on this team. We really don’t have anyone else who is instant offense off the bench.

Lastly, I like Tyus, but I don’t see upside as a high end starter in the future. I’d like him on this team. But it’d be more as a high upside backup and spot starter. That’s someone you acquire usually for seconds and filler salary.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#59 » by TimberKat » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:01 pm

shrink wrote:

Naz is too valuable as an off the bench scorer right now. We don't have anyone else to provide 10+ points. I was thinking maybe a Naz for wing scorer with BKN. Maybe Naz for Cam Johnson?
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,127

Post#60 » by Nick K » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:18 pm

shrink wrote:
King Ken wrote:I don't believe there are too many of our fans who would disagree on having Luka over Trae but it is what it is. Trae been a model citizen. He can only do the best he can. Minott has some potential to eventually be a role player in your scheme, wish him the best of course. But if you ever want to see that 11 jersey with Young in Minnesota color's, sending Ant back home would be great appreciated from our side

I think there are very few MIN fans that want to trade for Trae Young. We used to see non-MIN fans present a lot of Trae-to-MIN deals, but .. meh.

And obviously ZERO interest in trading Ant. He’s already our franchise, and our future.

(And good eye on Minott. 95% of the people out there have no idea who he is)

BTW, I'm seeing some real progress with Minott with his game. These kids need time. They come to the NBA usually poorly coached with a lot of athletic ability and not much else. But they have a ton of ability which can be developed. Minott needs patience and time. My guess is at least 2 more years and that's OK.

The idea of trading Ant is idiotic at best. Always remember if the other team is offering what seems to be a haul that means they value what they are getting more than what they are giving. I hope Ant is here until he retires.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves