Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Re: Epic Thread: Darko Pekovic Jefferson Love 

Post#41 » by Dewey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:34 pm

Narf wrote:
Dewey wrote:Clearly ...

1.) Kahn is in over his head,

Yes, what a rookie mistake it was to trade Foye and Miller for Rubio. I mean, god, I wish we had an experienced GM like Washington, NY, or the Clippers who knew how to create assets out of nothing. I mean, look how that good GM in NY paid off a huge amount of young talent just to get cap space, while we magically made cap space out of thin air with Songalia. Or how Walsh gave us Darko for Cardinal, and paid us to take him.

Maybe some day Kahn will learn how to be a real GM.

Watch the namecalling
-Klomp

Wow ... got Darko who's only been around and available for years. What an asset. :wink:
Right now it's Foye and Miller for ... "Zilch" Great asset. :o
Whatever about Washington, NY, or LAC ... they suck ... we suck worse.

Watch the namecalling (never thought I'd have to warn someone twice in the same post)
-Klomp
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#42 » by Narf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:38 pm

Dewey wrote:
Narf wrote:
Dewey wrote:Clearly ...

1.) Kahn is in over his head,

Yes, what a rookie mistake it was to trade Foye and Miller for Rubio. I mean, god, I wish we had an experienced GM like Washington, NY, or the Clippers who knew how to create assets out of nothing. I mean, look how that good GM in NY paid off a huge amount of young talent just to get cap space, while we magically made cap space out of thin air with Songalia. Or how Walsh gave us Darko for Cardinal, and paid us to take him.

Maybe some day Kahn will learn how to be a real GM.

Wow ... got Darko who's only been around and available for years. What an asset. :wink:
Right now it's Foye and Miller for ... "Zilch" Great asset. :o
Whatever about Washington, NY, or LAC ... they suck ... we suck worse.

You think Foye + Miller's expiring for Rubio was a bad trade, and I'm the idiot?
And that Darko was available for years, even though he was being paid 8 mil a year during that time and now gets paid....the same amount as Cardinal since we had NY pay the difference.
Fantastic how you laid out such clear and concise logic for us to piece together. Really, that was a terrible trade for Rubio and that Darko thing, pfft, why didn't he do that years ago when McHale was our GM.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#43 » by john2jer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:41 pm

Wow, more whining about Kahn. How original.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#44 » by B Calrissian » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:42 pm

Yikes I hope JW's kids didn't see that post.
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by Dewey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:04 pm

Kahn has to remain accountable until this all plays out. We have a PG that sucks, a PG that is not here, traded the next PG, and eventually acquired a center no one else was interested in (regardless the $$) and we're suppose to be impressed? Wow.

We have cap space for who? We might have guys trying to get out for pete sake. We're horrible and our own players even admit it. If we don't get lucky and draft #1 or #2, it will get nasty.

You don't like my opinion Nerfball .... cry me another river.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#46 » by Narf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:15 pm

Dewey wrote:Kahn has to remain accountable until this all plays out. We have a PG that sucks, a PG that is not here, traded the next PG, and eventually acquired a center no one else was interested in (regardless the $$) and we're suppose to be impressed? Wow.

We have cap space for who? We might have guys trying to get out for pete sake. We're horrible and our own players even admit it. If we don't get lucky and draft #1 or #2, it will get nasty.

You don't like my opinion Nerfball .... cry me another river.

I was sooo broken up by your first post. Really, bawling my wee little eyes out. Especially when you insulted me by saying "Your an _____" instead of "You're". Right after suggesting that Foye/Miller for Rubio was a bad trade and that Kahn could have traded for Darko years ago if he'd wanted.

The Wolves dumped every single one of their bad contracts, and instead of losing assets to do so like NY they gained assets in the process (overall). I'm not even suggesting we'll be a playoff team next year, but whatever improvement we make it will be on a team that is all young talent. Our oldest returning player will be 26.
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#47 » by TrentTuckerForever » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:54 pm

Dewey wrote:We have a PG that sucks, a PG that is not here, traded the next PG...

Somebody's been reading the Star Tribune. Never forget, Jim Souhan hates basketball.

I agree with j2j, too much whining. This team wasn't supposed to be good this year, and it will be amazing to see how good Kahn's decisions look if this team has a true difference-maker on it next year (Wall, Turner, even Gay or Johnson would make this team look a lot different.) Superstars are the great equalizer in the NBA - I'm sure most of you remember how KG willed quite ordinary Wolves teams to the playoffs year after year after year. All we know for sure is that no one on this current roster is on that level, or even an All-Star level.

The song "Epic" by Faith No More belongs in this thread somehow.
Klomp wrote:Didn't Brad Miller back up Vlade Divac in SAC too?
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by Dewey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:36 pm

TrentTuckerForever wrote:
Dewey wrote:We have a PG that sucks, a PG that is not here, traded the next PG...

Somebody's been reading the Star Tribune. Never forget, Jim Souhan hates basketball.

I agree with j2j, too much whining. This team wasn't supposed to be good this year, and it will be amazing to see how good Kahn's decisions look if this team has a true difference-maker on it next year (Wall, Turner, even Gay or Johnson would make this team look a lot different.) Superstars are the great equalizer in the NBA - I'm sure most of you remember how KG willed quite ordinary Wolves teams to the playoffs year after year after year. All we know for sure is that no one on this current roster is on that level, or even an All-Star level.

Mostly agree with everything except the Star tribune ... I've taken that line since draft day. I don't mind the Rubio gamble, but Flynn was not a good choice - yes it is still early to some. Too expect a bad year was one thing, but we've regressed badly. Potentially adding Milicic and Pecovic would slow us down more than we already are, and we are already almost non-funtional when it comes to team speed. Drafting Wall or Turner "could" change everything and cover up alot of questionable decisions by Kahn.

This years success in the draft will determine Kahns future.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#49 » by Krapinsky » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:49 pm

Dewey wrote:
TrentTuckerForever wrote:

Mostly agree with everything except the Star tribune ... I've taken that line since draft day. I don't mind the Rubio gamble, but Flynn was not a good choice - yes it is still early to some. Too expect a bad year was one thing, but we've regressed badly. Potentially adding Milicic and Pecovic would slow us down more than we already are, and we are already almost non-funtional when it comes to team speed. Drafting Wall or Turner "could" change everything and cover up alot of questionable decisions by Kahn.

This years success in the draft will determine Kahns future.

I'm curious how much different the team would look if in perfect hindsight people who are complaining would have done things their way.

So instead of Flynn, we have Curry. Is there anything else to really gripe about?

Even then, assuming we have Curry and not Flynn, we would probably have a bunch more W's that would have hurt our lottery odds this year. The end result might have just been a worse 2010-2011 team roster.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
john2jer
RealGM

Post#50 » by john2jer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:58 pm

The only questionable decision Kahn has made was releasing Atkins, and I don't think it was that big of a deal.

Whine, whine, whine...

But Curry, he's um the next LeBron playing for a championship contender out in Oakland. He's have added at least 2 more wins to our record! Who cares if he actively made it clear he wanted nothing to do with Minnesota.

Wait, stop, wait wait wait...

Something just hit me... I mean I knew it all along, just never put these two things together...

The next clown that whines abut not drafting Curry and then even hints about Rubio not wanting to be here should be banned. Serious, Klomp, Rev, Worm Guts, God... One of you mods should make that a standing board rule. It's completely stupid to complain about not drafting Curry, then yammer about how Rubio doesn't want to be in Minnesota. That's clear evidence of being a troll, or a bonehead who relies on the media to form opinions for them.

When it was announced that Rev was stepping down, someone foolishly mentioned me as a replacement. That would be a stupid idea because I'd just start locking and waiving clowns. Go ahead and have a differing opinion, but let's try to have it make sense.

ROAR!!! I'm pissed. ;-) jrj(k) signing out. Maybe.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
TrentTuckerForever
Starter

Post#51 » by TrentTuckerForever » Thu Apr 1, 2010 12:17 am

Dewey wrote:Too expect a bad year was one thing, but we've regressed badly.

I suppose this is correct, but it got me thinking about the alternative. What if Kahn hadn't stripped this roster down with the Foye/Miller and Telfair/Smith trades? The Wolves best lineup last year was:

Gomes
Smith
Jefferson
Foye
Telfair

... with Love, Miller and Brewer off the bench. Let's use 100% hindsight for the the Wolves to draft the BPA at 6 (Curry). Is that team plus Curry going compete with the Blazers or the Spurs (the current 7-8 seeds in the West)? Let alone the Lakers or Cavs?

The regression was inevitable with so many new players and a new coach. I actually would have liked for McHale to stay on as coach, but that was impossible given his history with the club.

The bottom line is that this year will be worth it if the Wolves win the lottery, or at least draft where their record says they should. If not, there will be another tough year ahead to watch, but at least the ceiling has been removed and the players are being evaluated correctly - Jefferson will never be the best player on a championship team, but could be the second best. I'm not saying that Kahn has been 100% right on so far, just that a team going nowhere now has a blueprint. They need a little luck now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AMS3XNK9CU. "What is it? It's it!! What is it? It's it!!"
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#52 » by lobishome » Thu Apr 1, 2010 1:38 am

Foye+Miller > Rubio ... ha ha ha :lol: ... Foye isn't a playmaker and Who TF is Miller? If you, hypothetically, trade Rubio's rights then you can get a lot more than these two guys.
Breakdown777
Veteran
And1: 47

Post#53 » by Breakdown777 » Thu Apr 1, 2010 5:24 am

We obviously can't keep Al and Love AND sign Darko and Pek. That's just too many big's that don't compliment each other or the current system enough to keep things as is. It's unfortunate, because I think we could've been a dynamic inside-outside club with a few shooters. But the dice didn't roll that way, instead we want to impliment a running team, a defensive team, and a triangle offense, when clearly that doesn't really fit into our current players abilities. That means trades are a comin', and I wish the best for any players that are moved.
Flynn - could really improve in a different system
Brewer - I hope he doesn't move because he's starting to live up to my expectatioins.
Gomes - He's a good guy, but his inconsistent and unmotivated play drives me crazy- good luck at a 10th man on a contender
Love - He's an exceptional player, but he could be truly amazing for the right team
Al - Doesn't fit this system, and I'd like to see him moved to a team that might actually win some games because I think he deserves it. This is hard to admit because he was the centerpiece of the KG deal, his contract isn't vastly overblown, he's humble enough to want to play here, and he's a great player and really fun to watch. Sometimes you gotta let the favorite ones go for the greater good.
Sessions - Triangle offense depends on shooters. Sessions isn't - send him away for another decent backup that fits the system (geez, even ridnour/blake and a bonus asset would do).
Ellington - another guy I want to stay here, and don't think it makes sense to move him

Darko - Might not even resign. Right now I don't care because we have plenty of picks to take another C who might pan out. I do like the defense though.
Cardinal - Maddog 2.0, keep him around for funzies
Hollins - At least he's 7 feet, but wouldn't be sad to see him go
A long post, but I'm basically saying - It sucks to part with a team that you like - but in order to produce wins something needs to happen and I'm finally ready to accept that.
"Llevaré mi talento a Minnesota".
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,685

Post#54 » by Worm Guts » Thu Apr 1, 2010 12:26 pm

john2jer wrote:At what point do we stop turning every thread into a whine-fest of "Kahn should have drafted Curry, Flynn's a bust, Rubio's never coming over, Jennings is the second coming of Jesus/Jordan/Ghandi combined"???

This board is starting lose it's luster because it's the same crap over and over.

Kahn didn't draft Curry, get over it.

Flynn's our starting point guard for the time being, get over it.

We won't know a damn thing about Rubio for at least 14 more months, get over it.

That's mostly why I get off on the derailing that happens around here. At least gets us talking about something somewhat original. What did cpfsf have for breakfast today?

Flynn vs. Curry hasn't been rehashed all that much here. Most threads are cap space, draft, and potential trades. I'll say it's too early to call Flynn vs. Curry for sure, and even still I'm not too broken up about missing on Curry but when people pretend Kahn has been perfect, I have to say something because he hasn't.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,844

Post#55 » by C.lupus » Thu Apr 1, 2010 1:20 pm

john2jer wrote:The only questionable decision Kahn has made was releasing Atkins, and I don't think it was that big of a deal.

Whine, whine, whine...

But Curry, he's um the next LeBron playing for a championship contender out in Oakland. He's have added at least 2 more wins to our record! Who cares if he actively made it clear he wanted nothing to do with Minnesota.

Something just hit me... I mean I knew it all along, just never put these two things together...

The next clown that whines abut not drafting Curry and then even hints about Rubio not wanting to be here should be banned. Serious, Klomp, Rev, Worm Guts, God... One of you mods should make that a standing board rule. It's completely stupid to complain about not drafting Curry, then yammer about how Rubio doesn't want to be in Minnesota. That's clear evidence of being a troll, or a bonehead who relies on the media to form opinions for them.

When it was announced that Rev was stepping down, someone foolishly mentioned me as a replacement. That would be a stupid idea because I'd just start locking and waiving clowns. Go ahead and have a differing opinion, but let's try to have it make sense.

someone needs some milk and cookies.

Oh, and I am sooooo angry about the Foye/Miller for Rubio trade. I mean with those two, we could be a 22-win team just getting over a 16-game losing streak instead of a 15-win team just getting over a 16-game losing streak. Damn you Kahn!!!
TrentTuckerForever
Starter

Post#56 » by TrentTuckerForever » Thu Apr 1, 2010 1:43 pm

C.lupus wrote:Oh, and I am sooooo angry about the Foye/Miller for Rubio trade. I mean with those two, we could be a 22-win team just getting over a 16-game losing streak instead of a 15-win team just getting over a 16-game losing streak. Damn you Kahn!!!

Fuzzy math there, lupus. :lol:
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,540

Post#57 » by shrink » Thu Apr 1, 2010 1:58 pm

john2jer wrote:The only questionable decision Kahn has made was releasing Atkins...

This statement makes me proud. Sure, I made a big stink about it at the time, but imagine how many fanbases would completely overlook this at the time, or forget about it six months later. RealGM posters have fun, but they are also more astute than most other sites.

Worm Guts wrote: Flynn vs. Curry hasn't been rehashed all that much here. Most threads are cap space, draft, and potential trades. I'll say it's too early to call Flynn vs. Curry for sure, and even still I'm not too broken up about missing on Curry but when people pretend Kahn has been perfect, I have to say something because he hasn't.

I've never been a fan of second-guessing the picks long after the draft. Its always seemed unfair that a team has to pick one guy, based on the current knowledge at the time, and detractors can point to every player picked later, and select the one that happens to perform well. However, even if you like that type of thinking, I think its hard to be too upset at this point. Rookie PG's take time to develop, particularly ones joining a very young team learning a brand new system. But moreover, its not like Tyreke Evans was still on the board. Its certainly possible to not be excited by Flynn's flashes, but the same could be said for Derozan or Curry or any of the players taken directly behind Flynn. I still think we need to wait and see.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,685

Post#58 » by Worm Guts » Thu Apr 1, 2010 2:34 pm

shrink wrote:
Worm Guts wrote: Flynn vs. Curry hasn't been rehashed all that much here. Most threads are cap space, draft, and potential trades. I'll say it's too early to call Flynn vs. Curry for sure, and even still I'm not too broken up about missing on Curry but when people pretend Kahn has been perfect, I have to say something because he hasn't.

I've never been a fan of second-guessing the picks long after the draft. Its always seemed unfair that a team has to pick one guy, based on the current knowledge at the time, and detractors can point to every player picked later, and select the one that happens to perform well. However, even if you like that type of thinking, I think its hard to be too upset at this point. Rookie PG's take time to develop, particularly ones joining a very young team learning a brand new system. But moreover, its not like Tyreke Evans was still on the board. Its certainly possible to not be excited by Flynn's flashes, but the same could be said for Derozan or Curry or any of the players taken directly behind Flynn. I still think we need to wait and see.

We do need to wait and see, absolutely, but a big part, perhaps the biggest part, of GM's job is talent evaluation. If you stink at projecting how players will perform in the NBA, you're not going to be a good GM.
I'm just trying to give an honest opinion on what Kahn has done so far. So far Curry has been better than Flynn, and he would appear to be a better fit for our offense. It is what it is, no reason to spin it as something else.
john2jer
RealGM

Post#59 » by john2jer » Thu Apr 1, 2010 3:16 pm

C.lupus wrote:
john2jer wrote:The only questionable decision Kahn has made was releasing Atkins, and I don't think it was that big of a deal.

Whine, whine, whine...

someone needs some milk and cookies.

Do you have milk and cookies? That's about the only thing that's going to help me get through all the PMSing done on this forum.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 991

Post#60 » by funkatron101 » Thu Apr 1, 2010 7:44 pm

shrink wrote:
john2jer wrote:The only questionable decision Kahn has made was releasing Atkins...

This statement makes me proud. Sure, I made a big stink about it at the time, but imagine how many fanbases would completely overlook this at the time, or forget about it six months later. RealGM posters have fun, but they are also more astute than most other sites.

Either GM's didn't see the value, or Kahn asked for too much. It really seemed like a no-brainer to work a minor deal to get a late pick, or some other incentive.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves