ImageImageImage

Who should the Wolves take at #7? Survey Says...

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Who should the Wolves take at 7?

Isaac
55%
Markkanen
15%
Smith
11%
Monk
6%
Collins
4%
Ntilikina
5%
Anunoby
4%

Total votes: 137

islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,933

Re: Who should the Wolves take at #7? Survey Says... 

Post#61 » by islanders11040 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Interesting take from Dunc'd On Basketball Podcast:
Nate Duncan and Danny LeRoux prospect reviews on Isaac, Tatum and Jackson
Near draft season Nate and Danny do prospect reviews on the top 10 or so prospects after watching detailed game film on each prospect. I especially enjoy Nate's perspective since he watches more NBA than almost anyone and tends to look at prospects at how they would fit in today's NBA. For example his top 3 last year was Simmons, Brown and Murray and he was completely out on Dunn which looks good in retrospect.

Recently they started their draft review on the 3 wings in the 2017 NBA draft. Namely Jayson Tatum, Jonathan Isaac, and Josh Jackson in that order respectively. The prospect reviews are 15-20 minutes long and the links to the 3 reviews and the start time are linked below:

Podcast reviewing Jayson Tatum starts at the 34:55 minute mark
Podcast reviewing Jonathan Isaac starts at the 41:23 minute mark
Podcast reviewing Josh Jackson starts at the 31:50 minute mark
After reviewing the 3 wing prospects they had the following ranking:
Isaac
(big gap)
Tatum
(slight gap)
Jackson

They both agreed that the only wing prospect that might be worth a top 5 pick in this draft is Isaac.

Post courtesy of klutch_shot on reddit
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,351

Post#62 » by Mattya » Mon May 22, 2017 7:03 pm

I would hope that any prospect we pick is played off the bench as well as playing LaVine in the Harden/Ginobli role.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,454

Post#63 » by Klomp » Mon May 22, 2017 7:20 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Klomp wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:Besides we have 3 20 ppg scorers and we don't need a supersub. Look at teams like Warriors and Cavs. Who's their supersub? they don't need one, just keep one star in the game at all times. Now if extending LaVine isn't on the cards then Monk makes sense.

In a way you're right that we don't need one "supersub," but we do need a pretty significant boost off the bench.

We averaged 22.8 points per game off the bench, worst in the league by almost 4 points. Over 40 percent of those points came from Shabazz Muhammad, who may not be back.

When LaVine was healthy he was the supersub with the bench crew. Did they count his points in that average? I think that number is flawed. We usually had a starter (Zach, KAT) taking most of the shots while playing with our bench scrubs.

Considering he was (and will likely continue to be) a starter, why would I include him in bench scoring numbers?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by Klomp » Mon May 22, 2017 7:23 pm

Mattya wrote:I would hope that any prospect we pick is played off the bench as well as playing LaVine in the Harden/Ginobli role.

The rookie will likely open as a reserve, but I think the only way LaVine and Wiggins aren't starting together is either due to injury or because they acquired someone like Jimmy Butler. Some of you won't like that, but I think it's the way it's gonna be.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,842

Post#65 » by C.lupus » Mon May 22, 2017 7:47 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
C.lupus wrote:I'm hungry. I could go for a super sub right now.

fast food is gross. try to cook your own healthy nutritious meals full of vitamins, essential minerals and antioxidants :nod: it will help you going the extra mile !!!

I can make my own healthy super sub. Doesn't have to be fast food.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#66 » by NewWolvesOrder » Mon May 22, 2017 8:23 pm

Klomp wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Klomp wrote:In a way you're right that we don't need one "supersub," but we do need a pretty significant boost off the bench.

We averaged 22.8 points per game off the bench, worst in the league by almost 4 points. Over 40 percent of those points came from Shabazz Muhammad, who may not be back.

When LaVine was healthy he was the supersub with the bench crew. Did they count his points in that average? I think that number is flawed. We usually had a starter (Zach, KAT) taking most of the shots while playing with our bench scrubs.

Considering he was (and will likely continue to be) a starter, why would I include him in bench scoring numbers?

because by design we had a starter playing with the bench guys and serving as a 1st scoring option for our bench. The other 4 guys were far down the pecking order so they didn't get many points. They also played very limited minutes by Thibs further diminishing their scoring opportunities. I'm not arguing that our bench guys sucked, but the 22 ppg number is flawed as it was influenced by a numbers of factors. If Thibs chose to play LaVine strictly off the bench it would be over 30 pts easily.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Klomp » Mon May 22, 2017 8:40 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:I'm not arguing that our bench guys sucked, but the 22 ppg number is flawed as it was influenced by a numbers of factors. If Thibs chose to play LaVine strictly off the bench it would be over 30 pts easily.

That's a fair point.

I actually pulled up the numbers again. While only averaging 22.8 ppg, that was in just 69.7 minutes per game. That means as a whole our 5 starters each averaged 34.1 minutes per game, most in the league (second-most at 32.8 mpg). That means most of those stats measured more on volume will all likely be low in the rankings (highest was steals per game at 19th). Shooting was better (17th in FG percentage).

Like I said earlier, I think the only ways LaVine comes off the bench are injury or a star acquisition.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:because by design we had a starter playing with the bench guys and serving as a 1st scoring option for our bench.

So you're saying CLE should include LeBron in their bench production numbers? All teams mix and match starters with bench players. Still doesn't make them bench players or make sense to include them in those numbers.

NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#68 » by NewWolvesOrder » Mon May 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Klomp wrote:So you're saying CLE should include LeBron in their bench production numbers? All teams mix and match starters with bench players. Still doesn't make them bench players or make sense to include them in those numbers.

what's the Cavs bench numbers, btw?
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#69 » by NewWolvesOrder » Mon May 22, 2017 9:30 pm

C.lupus wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:
C.lupus wrote:I'm hungry. I could go for a super sub right now.

fast food is gross. try to cook your own healthy nutritious meals full of vitamins, essential minerals and antioxidants :nod: it will help you going the extra mile !!!

I'm dying to know your ingredients, Mr. Ramsey :D
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#70 » by ace625214 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:46 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
C.lupus wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:

It's not hard to grab some good quality deli meat, cheese, a few vegetables, and bread.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by Klomp » Mon May 22, 2017 10:58 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:what's the Cavs bench numbers, btw?

Not good. Look, I'm not saying we need to be at the very top of bench production, but when we're already last by a comfortable margin and there's a good chance of losing the top bench option, I think it's fair to say we need to add bench help.

You're right that bench production numbers are flawed and not directly tied to team success. That should be obvious when the Lakers and Nets lead the league and Golden State and Cleveland are 22nd and 28th, respectively. I just don't want to be last.

In a way, that's not much different from those who want to draft Markkanen because we're last in 3-point shooting. That too is more of a volume thing and not as much in efficiency (30th in volume, 20th in efficiency). One draft pick won't suddenly take us from worst to first, just like one bench scorer won't completely shift the needle there.

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,842

Post#72 » by C.lupus » Mon May 22, 2017 11:12 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
C.lupus wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:

We're getting pretty far off topic but since it's the offseason...

Start with a 100% whole grain hoagie roll

Skip the mayo-based condiments - go with a good mustard (virtually no calories or fat) or a homemade pesto made with olive oil, basil, pine nuts, garlic

Add lots of veggies - spinach, kale, fresh peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc. - go for a variety of colors

Add some good lean meat like turkey or chicken (skinless) or make a healthy salmon salad using greek yogurt instead of mayo

Boom, done.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,839

Post#73 » by Calinks » Mon May 22, 2017 11:29 pm

C.lupus wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:
C.lupus wrote:I can make my own healthy super sub. Doesn't have to be fast food.

We're getting pretty far off topic but since it's the offseason...

Start with a 100% whole grain hoagie roll

Skip the mayo-based condiments - go with a good mustard (virtually no calories or fat) or a homemade pesto made with olive oil, basil, pine nuts, garlic

Add lots of veggies - spinach, kale, fresh peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc. - go for a variety of colors

Add some good lean meat like turkey or chicken (skinless) or make a healthy salmon salad using greek yogurt instead of mayo

Boom, done.

When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,906

Post#74 » by theGreatRC » Tue May 23, 2017 12:20 am

Are there any official reports linking us to Isaac or do we just really want him on our team?
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#75 » by Krapinsky » Tue May 23, 2017 12:58 am

theGreatRC wrote:Are there any official reports linking us to Isaac or do we just really want him on our team?

No official remarks that I know of. Thibs said a few things at the combine -- (1) that big needs are shooting and defense, and (2) that it is important to find guys that compliment are main scorers. I think Isaac checks a lot of those boxes, which is also probably why Issac is being mocked to us by ESPN (Ford), DX, the Ringer, SI, and BR (Wasserman).
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,247

Post#76 » by Murphs56 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:07 am

Krapinsky wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:Are there any official reports linking us to Isaac or do we just really want him on our team?

No official remarks that I know of. Thibs said a few things at the combine -- (1) that big needs are shooting and defense, and (2) that it is important to find guys that compliment are main scorers. I think Isaac checks a lot of those boxes, which is also probably why Issac is being mocked to us by ESPN (Ford), DX, the Ringer, SI, and BR (Wasserman).

I think the top 5 are set in stone with Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Tatum & Fox. What Orlando does with pick 6 is anyone's guess. They could take just about anyone there.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,906

Post#77 » by theGreatRC » Tue May 23, 2017 3:27 am

Murphs56 wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

I think the top 5 are set in stone with Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Tatum & Fox. What Orlando does with pick 6 is anyone's guess. They could take just about anyone there.

If that's the case, i'm fine with Monk.

Seems like a better version of Murray and instant offense off the bench
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#78 » by the_bruce » Tue May 23, 2017 3:52 am

Murphs56 wrote:I think the top 5 are set in stone with Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Tatum & Fox. What Orlando does with pick 6 is anyone's guess. They could take just about anyone there.

This is dead on.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,247

Post#79 » by Murphs56 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:57 am

theGreatRC wrote:
Murphs56 wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

If that's the case, i'm fine with Monk.

Seems like a better version of Murray and instant offense off the bench

Agreed. I think he's a day 1 scorer especially against 2nd unit players. I bet the Knicks are praying he falls to them
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,311

Post#80 » by getrichordie » Tue May 23, 2017 5:14 am

Assuming the picks go in the order below, who do you take?

1. Fultz
2. Ball
3. Jackson
4. Fox
5. Isaac
6. Monk
7. ???

Also, what if the Magic take Tatum over Monk here, then who is your pick?
[twitter] @thunderdustin

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves