ImageImageImage

Your #3, #4 pick scenerios

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: Re: Re: Re: Your #3, #4 pick scenerios 

Post#81 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Apr 6, 2015 9:29 pm

Mattya wrote:Why? If Pek is in a suit then it is bad, amd we might be looking into a medical retirement. What is the problem with another guard?

I don't think we should draft another guard (Russell).

Unless we are trading Rubio.

Offense is not the problem.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Re: Re: Re: Your #3, #4 pick scenerios 

Post#82 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Apr 6, 2015 9:32 pm

Magoose wrote:
If you think a lineup of:

Rubio-Lavine-Wiggins-Faried-WCS

is strong enough to beat GSW then of course you do it. Imho not convinced this starting lineup would get us in the playoffs.

I don't think a lineup of:

Pek - Payne - Wiggins - Russell - Rubio.

Is better then:

WCS - Faried - Wiggins - Martin - Rubio

If we want to win of course.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,358

Re: Re: Re: Re: Your #3, #4 pick scenerios 

Post#83 » by Mattya » Mon Apr 6, 2015 9:40 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Mattya wrote:Why? If Pek is in a suit then it is bad, amd we might be looking into a medical retirement. What is the problem with another guard?

Yes it is. Why would you trade Rubio if we have Russell? We don't have a long term option at shooting guard yet, we don't have a back up point guard yet. Russell is both those things.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your #3, #4 pick scenerios 

Post#84 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Apr 6, 2015 9:48 pm

Mattya wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

Yes it is. Why would you trade Rubio if we have Russell? We don't have a long term option at shooting guard yet, we don't have a back up point guard yet. Russell is both those things.

No, it's not. And there are proofs. Also Wiggins can be the SG of this team. My problem is to give priority to the backcourt (stacked with Martin/Shabazz/Lavine/Wiggins) and move on with Payne / Pek / Dieng / Bennett. That is the problem.

Rubio is provaly the only one with value to bring us something with value to fix the frountcourt.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#85 » by Mattya » Mon Apr 6, 2015 9:52 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Mattya wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

No, it's not. And there are proofs. Also Wiggins can be the SG of this team. My problem is to give priority to the backcourt (stacked with Martin/Shabazz/Lavine/Wiggins) and move on with Payne / Pek / Dieng / Bennett. That is the problem.

Rubio is provaly the only one with value to bring us something with value to fix the frountcourt.

Yes it is. There is proof it is better, not what anyone would consider good. Martin would be gone, who cares about LaVine if we have Russell. Figure the rest out later. Drafting for need is what has screwed the Wolves for 10 years. I'll pass.

Rubio/Russell
Russell/Wiggins
Wiggins/Bazz
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your #3, #4 pick scenerios 

Post#86 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Apr 6, 2015 9:57 pm

Mattya wrote:
Yes it is. There is proof it is better, not what anyone would consider good. Martin would be gone, who cares about LaVine if we have Russell. Figure the rest out later. Drafting for need is what has screwed the Wolves for 10 years. I'll pass.

Rubio/Russell
Russell/Wiggins
Wiggins/Bazz

I prefer this, because fill all the positions pretty well, not only 3. It's also, more balanced.

Rubio /
Martin / Lavine
Wiggins / Shabazz
Faried / Bjelica
WCS / Dieng

But i guess we have to agree to disagree. ;)
Mattya
RealGM

Post#87 » by Mattya » Mon Apr 6, 2015 10:01 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Mattya wrote:

Rubio/Russell
Russell/Wiggins
Wiggins/Bazz

I prefer this, because fill all the positions pretty well, not only 3. It's also, more balanced.

Rubio /
Martin / Lavine
Wiggins / Shabazz
Faried / Bjelica
WCS / Dieng

I guess I don't see this balance you speak of. WCS and Faried are terrible on offense together. Terrible.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your #3, #4 pick scenerios 

Post#88 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Apr 6, 2015 10:05 pm

Mattya wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
Mattya wrote:

Rubio/Russell
Russell/Wiggins
Wiggins/Bazz

Rubio /
Martin / Lavine
Wiggins / Shabazz
Faried / Bjelica
WCS / Dieng

I guess I don't see this balance you speak of. WCS and Faried are terrible on offense together. Terrible.

Offense is only one part of the game. And Faried isn't that bad.

And the proof of that is Pekovic / K.Love, doesn't matter to much offense when you can't defend.
Mattya
RealGM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your #3, #4 pick scenerios 

Post#89 » by Mattya » Mon Apr 6, 2015 10:08 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Mattya wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

Rubio /
Martin / Lavine
Wiggins / Shabazz
Faried / Bjelica
WCS / Dieng

Offense is only one part of the game. And Faried isn't that bad.

And the proof of that is Pekovic / K.Love, doesn't matter to much offense when you can't defend.

Faried isn't a good offensive or defensive player though. He is a rebounder and fast break player. So you really only addressed rebounding with him.
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#90 » by MinneOOPalis » Mon Apr 6, 2015 10:08 pm

Mattya wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
Mattya wrote:

Rubio/Russell
Russell/Wiggins
Wiggins/Bazz

I would say drafting players who are not good at basketball has been the issue, not the fit vs talent argument.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#91 » by Mattya » Mon Apr 6, 2015 10:11 pm

MinneOOPalis wrote:
Mattya wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

Rubio/Russell
Russell/Wiggins
Wiggins/Bazz

I would say drafting players who are not good at basketball has been the issue, not the fit vs talent argument.

Its been both. Even if the guys we drafted didn't flat out bust they still wouldn't have had the impact the guys we passed on would have had.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#92 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Apr 6, 2015 10:22 pm

Mattya wrote:Figure the rest out later. Drafting for need is what has screwed the Wolves for 10 years. I'll pass.

If you say this. You also have to say that what screwed the Wolves too was our defense in last years right ?
Mattya
RealGM

Post#93 » by Mattya » Mon Apr 6, 2015 10:29 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Mattya wrote:Figure the rest out later. Drafting for need is what has screwed the Wolves for 10 years. I'll pass.

If you say this. You also have to say that what screwed the Wolves too was our defense in last years right ?

Defense, rebounding, and 4th quarter offense. But I'm not under the impression that WCS can fix our defense so much so that we would actually be a good team. If we actually are in a position to pick top end talent we better take it or actually get a better return than Faried and WCS.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,661

Re: Your #3, #4 pick scenerios 

Post#94 » by Worm Guts » Mon Apr 6, 2015 11:01 pm

I think the biggest issue has been healthy talent. I'm most focused on finding 2 or 3 guys to build around, then adjust the supporting cast accordingly.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 957

Post#95 » by jscott » Tue Apr 7, 2015 12:46 am

MinneOOPalis wrote:
Mattya wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

Rubio/Russell
Russell/Wiggins
Wiggins/Bazz

This.

You gotta take the best talent and figure the rest out later.

If Russell makes Shabazz/Martin/LaVine expendable then you deal those guys to fill your holes.

Don't get cute, get talent.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#96 » by Killboard » Tue Apr 7, 2015 1:52 am

jscott wrote:
MinneOOPalis wrote:
Mattya wrote:

Rubio/Russell
Russell/Wiggins
Wiggins/Bazz

This.

You gotta take the best talent and figure the rest out later.

If Russell makes Shabazz/Martin/LaVine expendable then you deal those guys to fill your holes.

Don't get cute, get talent.

Im fine choosing Russell and don't caring about fit, but just cause I see a big talent gap between him and the other options.
Is when you talk about pick winslow or mudiay when I get more willing to choose fit over talent.
And there is two gap to consider. One is the talent between winslow and wcs IE. The other talent gap is between them and the current best players in those position.

I could see both winslow and wcs being good starters in good teams, but if they dont get good coaching I could see them being bench warmers as well. But the gap between them and the current wolves player at their positions makes me willing to pick the super athletic center.
FargoWolf
Pro Prospect
And1: 395

Post#97 » by FargoWolf » Tue Apr 7, 2015 1:58 am

Winlsow vs WCS isn't even a contest for me. Winslow is the best player on the floor in a lot of these tournament games I have watched, he is coming into his own. Two-way talent is hard to find, Flip will be all over him if Okafor, Towns and Russell are off the board.

Mudiay is where I really start to have questions. He and Rubio don't really work together, if the Wolves are at 5 and others are off the board I look at a trade. Some team will no doubt fall in love with Mudiay's potential.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#98 » by Killboard » Tue Apr 7, 2015 2:18 am

FargoWolf wrote:Winlsow vs WCS isn't even a contest for me. Winslow is the best player on the floor in a lot of these tournament games I have watched, he is coming into his own. Two-way talent is hard to find, Flip will be all over him if Okafor, Towns and Russell are off the board.

Mudiay is where I really start to have questions. He and Rubio don't really work together, if the Wolves are at 5 and others are off the board I look at a trade. Some team will no doubt fall in love with Mudiay's potential.

For sure winslow is helping his value and helping the wolves selection in the process but he has the same problem that mudiay IMO, they have some flags in shooting department that makes me think they couldn't play along Ricky and Wiggins.
And how flip will manage the perceived value of the pick if his favorite players are off the board will be quite interesting.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#99 » by Note30 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 6:42 am

If it drops to #3, trade to #5 for Orlando's pick

#3+Bennett + Payne for Gordon +#5

Then take Winslow or Stein or someone else with #5.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,769

Post#100 » by minimus » Tue Apr 7, 2015 8:33 am

Killboard wrote:
FargoWolf wrote:Winlsow vs WCS isn't even a contest for me. Winslow is the best player on the floor in a lot of these tournament games I have watched, he is coming into his own. Two-way talent is hard to find, Flip will be all over him if Okafor, Towns and Russell are off the board.

For sure winslow is helping his value and helping the wolves selection in the process but he has the same problem that mudiay IMO, they have some flags in shooting department that makes me think they couldn't play along Ricky and Wiggins.
And how flip will manage the perceived value of the pick if his favorite players are off the board will be quite interesting.

Winslow has good touch and release. He has hit 40 percent of his three-pointers on three attempts per game this season. I don't think that it is red flag.

If Mudiay is next John Wall, then his shooting is not big concern either.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves