Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,656

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#801 » by Klomp » Thu May 21, 2020 12:14 pm

minimus wrote:
SaintS wrote:i beleve that at the end of the draft we are going to have just one rookie and may be it will be 16 Brooklin pick player.
3 is too much if we are going to fight for the play offs

Yeah, salary of top3 pick is near 9 mil, which might be a factor our situation. FRPs also have guaranteed contracts, while SRP can be negotiated, for instance 1+3 deal.

I've thought about this too. However, keep in mind the rookie scale now changes along with the salary cap, which is related to the income of the league. A lot of people could see the salary cap drop next season, which would also mean the rookie scale wouldn't be as high.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 795

Post#802 » by karch34 » Fri May 22, 2020 4:46 am

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:
SaintS wrote:i beleve that at the end of the draft we are going to have just one rookie and may be it will be 16 Brooklin pick player.
3 is too much if we are going to fight for the play offs

Yeah, salary of top3 pick is near 9 mil, which might be a factor our situation. FRPs also have guaranteed contracts, while SRP can be negotiated, for instance 1+3 deal.

I've thought about this too. However, keep in mind the rookie scale now changes along with the salary cap, which is related to the income of the league. A lot of people could see the salary cap drop next season, which would also mean the rookie scale wouldn't be as high.

Correct, but how much do we think it would adjust? If cap goes down 10% (possible) to 20% (IMO the extreme) still considerable $
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#803 » by Klomp » Fri May 22, 2020 5:18 pm

I will always be willing to gamble on athleticism, especially the later you get in the draft. So if he's there at our 2nd round pick, I would love for the Wolves to draft Cassius Stanley from Duke.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#804 » by Killboard » Sat May 23, 2020 4:06 pm

The guys I like and hopefully fall to the 33th pick are Desmond Bane and Leandro Bolmaro. I also like Paul Reed a lot but I think he will go earlier and I would consider him with the Nets pick.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#805 » by Klomp » Sat May 23, 2020 11:10 pm

Own pick: Maxey, Hayes, Haliburton
Nets pick: Achiuwa, Pokusevski, Williams
2nd round: Bane, Woodard, Stanley, Kispert
minimus
RealGM
And1: 4,134

Post#806 » by minimus » Sun May 24, 2020 6:30 am

Klomp wrote:Own pick: Maxey, Hayes, Haliburton

Own pick: Maxey, Hayes, Vassell
Nets pick: Saddiq Bey, Aaron Neismith, Kira Lewis, Tyler Bey
2nd round: Bane, Woodard, Paul Reed (any sleepers from 1st round)
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,473

Post#807 » by Neeva » Sun May 24, 2020 7:55 am

Own pick- Edwards ,Hayes, Haliburton . I think wolves will move down 4-5 spots and get more assets (a 2021 pick) to get hayes, vassell or haliburton between 5-10

Nets pick- Trade it for Gordon or trade down

2nd round pick - Get who ever falls between Bolmaro/T. Bey/Bane/Mannion or trade it.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,272

Post#808 » by KGdaBom » Sun May 24, 2020 2:46 pm

Our Pick
Avdija, Edwards, Toppin, Okongwu
Nets Pick
T Bey, Lewis, Pokusevski, Maxey, Achiuwa
Paul Reid, Oturu, Bolmaro, Bane
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#809 » by youngWizzy » Sun May 24, 2020 10:00 pm

Hey guys, I just added a new feature to my site that let's you compare two prospects side by side here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/compare

Probably one of the cooler tools I've added.

I also added age as a method for comparing players for per40 and advanced stats which a lot of you requested! You can also choose to add manual measurements on the site as well as pick and choose which measurements you would like to compare physical measurements for players. Also similarity scores for comparisons are on the site as well!

If you don't mind checking it out that'd be amazing!!!!

Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#810 » by Jedzz » Mon May 25, 2020 12:24 am

How exactly does Maxey come before Hayes and Haliburton? It's a sickness.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#811 » by Klomp » Mon May 25, 2020 12:35 am

Jedzz wrote:

Because it's my personal opinion.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#812 » by Jedzz » Mon May 25, 2020 12:48 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Because it's my personal opinion.

Great answer. It lack's any kind of reasoning for the opinion, but by now who would expect that.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#813 » by Klomp » Mon May 25, 2020 1:14 am

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:Because it's my personal opinion.

Great answer. It lack's any kind of reasoning for the opinion, but by now who would expect that.

Frankly, I've gotten sick of explaining my reasoning to you. I've tried over and over for months to explain to you and others why I like Maxey so much. It goes nowhere anyways with you, so why even bother wasting energy typing it out again?
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,668

Post#814 » by Mattya » Mon May 25, 2020 4:04 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Frankly, I've gotten sick of explaining my reasoning to you. I've tried over and over for months to explain to you and others why I like Maxey so much. It goes nowhere anyways with you, so why even bother wasting energy typing it out again?

Last time I replied to his posts we were discussing Maxey. That was weeks ago.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 795

Post#815 » by karch34 » Mon May 25, 2020 4:49 am

Subject to change and where pick lands and while lot I like:
Our pick: Okuru - great defender and does the little things (feels like Kirelinko) offense develops will be a star
Brooklyn pick: Nesmith - great shooter if defense develops will be a star.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#816 » by Jedzz » Mon May 25, 2020 8:21 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

You have him on your dream list ahead of specifically mentioned Hayes and Haliburton. The question was how you are rating him over those two. This is a new comparison of your desires that I know of to actually list him ahead of these two.

If you want a guard, for me it starts with shooting ability and then add the rest.

Haliburton shot 3s at .419 in most recent season, and .822 FT. .631 TS, .666 TS previous season. He was hinting at elite.

Hayes shot 3s at .390 in most recent season, and .909 FT. Add that to the rest that he is more known for and I don't see how he doesn't fit better than Maxey on this team

Maxey shot 3s at .292 in his only season, and .833 FT. Doesn't mean he can't get better in his next season, but it's not guaranteed at all. Hayes showed weak numbers in a previous season.

Size:(since you seem to care about size and claiming versatility with it based on JMAc discussion)
Maxey is listed at 6-3 and <200(198) (Stepian says 6-1 w/o shoes)
Hayes is listed at 6-5.5 >200 (216) (w/shoes # per Stepian)
Haliburton listed at 6-5 <200 (175) (Stepian shows only listed height-assuming w/shoes)

Haliburton's weight would concern me, but as long as he can shoot well I don't care and I would bet on him filling out over time. Height is good.

2P shooting:
Maxey .492
Hayes .500 (over .500 in all three Int. seasons)
Haliburton .621 (over .500 in both seasons)

I don't think there is really any comparison in shooting proven so far. Maxey seems a tier below these other two. At least none of them are horrible FT shooters. That's the one area that Culver struggled in at college that may have been forward looking, aside from his .304 3p % in final college year.

Let's be positive but assume all three new prospects drop in number a bit jumping up to NBA. Let's take 4 hundredths off each players most recent tally by default.
Imaginary NBA numbers:
Maxey .252 (from 3), .452 (from 2)
Hayes .350 (from 3), .460 (from 2)
Haliburton .379 (from 3), .581 (from 2)

Take Culver's # drop into consideration for example:
Culver College# .304 (from 3), .526 (from 2), .707 (FT)
Culver NBA rook# .299 (from 3), .471 (from 2), .462 (FT)

I think this is being realistic to error on the side of caution and to expect a small drop in the least so you can gauge what you are willing to work with. If they actually improve on #s, great. If they don't improve, is it high enough now? If it drops, how far and are they now hurting your team?

If you are honest with yourself, are you going to be fine with Maxey after one year if he's hitting .252 from 3 and below .500 from 2s? That's much less than Okogie offensively.

Josh Okogie #s drop for another example:
Okogie College# .380 (from 3), .432 (from 2), ..821 (FT)
Okogie NBA rook# .279 (from 3), .464 (from 2), .728 (FT)
Okogie NBA yr2# .266 (from 3), .529 (from 2), .796 (FT)

Off/Def College and NBA ratings:
Okogie college 109/99
Okogie NBA 104/113

Culver college 110/90
Culver NBA 94/113

Haliburton 128/101
Hayes unknown
Maxey 107/100

Hayes 18yrs
Maxey 19.6 yrs

Wingspan (what I've seen listed anyway)
Haliburton 6-9 to 7 ft
Hayes 6-8.5 ft
Maxey 6-6 ft

I'm going with more proven shooters first. Haliburton's length also maybe makes him the most versatile player long term. However his weight may be an issue as a rookie. Haliburton's off rating is off the charts due to his shooting and his defensive college rating is close to Maxey. Hayes maybe being the most well rounded skills-wise while also being the youngest is amazing but International player so who knows. I'm not sure how some people are listing Maxey ahead of these other two. If Maxey was a better shooter I wouldn't knock him for being shorter. But, he's shorter and hasn't proven a consistent shot yet. If he stood next to Jmac, is he going to look much larger?

I'll let others compare APG RPG Assists/TO and wonderous things like that.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#817 » by Klomp » Mon May 25, 2020 9:36 pm

If you think every player is guaranteed to become a lower-percentage shooter in all categories than what he was in college, by all means stay away away from Maxey because if college 3-point shooting is the only way to measure if someone will become a good NBA 3-point shooter, you're right that Maxey's probably doomed.

I don't believe college 3-point shooting is indicative of much though. As you said, even Okogie went from being a good college 3-point shooter to being crap from long range in the NBA. So obviously there's not a straight line that's able to be drawn.
New era 2020
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#818 » by New era 2020 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:16 am

I like Anthony Edwards and Obadiah Toppin. I think Toppin is underrated.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 4,134

Post#819 » by minimus » Tue May 26, 2020 7:41 am

karch34 wrote:Subject to change and where pick lands and while lot I like:
Our pick: Okuru - great defender and does the little things (feels like Kirelinko) offense develops will be a star
Brooklyn pick: Nesmith - great shooter if defense develops will be a star.

I have a very interesting scenario if we draft Okoro. Just move him to starting PF slot, where his shooting wont hurt so much, and let him be our version of Winslow/PJ Tucker.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#820 » by Jedzz » Tue May 26, 2020 6:41 pm

Klomp wrote:If you think every player is guaranteed to become a lower-percentage shooter in all categories than what he was in college, by all means stay away away from Maxey because if college 3-point shooting is the only way to measure if someone will become a good NBA 3-point shooter, you're right that Maxey's probably doomed.

I don't believe college 3-point shooting is indicative of much though. As you said, even Okogie went from being a good college 3-point shooter to being crap from long range in the NBA. So obviously there's not a straight line that's able to be drawn.

Why are you just focusing on 3pt shooting? I just showed you he's lower than these other two in many other things. Go ahead and try to twist the Okogie example into whatever your brain wants to try.

If you think you can keep drafting the athletic defensive studs that are unproven shooters every year I'm claiming we keep failing at drafting. I would maybe instead be looking for unheralded players with better shooting numbers that also like to play defense later in the draft or undrafted. I get very wary of prospects who's name balloons up draft boards in the months before the draft who haven't shown a consisten shot. Late first round fine. Early first round with a TS in the .400s oh I don't think so. Not me.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves