ImageImageImage

College players thread/ Draft Related thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Re: College players thread/ Draft Related thread 

Post#801 » by revprodeji » Mon Mar 9, 2009 3:14 pm

Yes, we take Griffin but then you move him in a trade. That is his value to us. He does not retain his value ON this team, but we can move his value for greater value.

Regardless, our top priority is to get rubio if he is there.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#802 » by john2jer » Mon Mar 9, 2009 3:21 pm

If we get the #1 picka dn Rubio is in the draft, I'm tempted to just take him because unless there's a team sitting at number 2 who's willing to throw us pieces like picks, or players to move up the one slot, it's too much of a risk to trade farther down the list.

Now if Rubio's not in the draft, then sure, trade farther down.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 11,244

Post#803 » by Worm Guts » Mon Mar 9, 2009 3:24 pm

revprodeji wrote:Yes, we take Griffin but then you move him in a trade. That is his value to us. He does not retain his value ON this team, but we can move his value for greater value.

What if you can't get what you think is fair value? If you take him, you have to willing to keep him.
john2jer
RealGM

Post#804 » by john2jer » Mon Mar 9, 2009 3:30 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
revprodeji wrote:Yes, we take Griffin but then you move him in a trade. That is his value to us. He does not retain his value ON this team, but we can move his value for greater value.

What if you can't get what you think is fair value? If you take him, you have to willing to keep him.

There'd have to be a pre-arranged trade. As I mentioned if Rubio's available and a pre-arranged trade going from #1 to #2 and picking up something, even cash would be acceptable, isn't there, you just take Rubio.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#805 » by Worm Guts » Mon Mar 9, 2009 3:35 pm

john2jer wrote:
There'd have to be a pre-arranged trade. As I mentioned if Rubio's available and a pre-arranged trade going from #1 to #2 and picking up something, even cash would be acceptable, isn't there, you just take Rubio.

Let's say Rubio's not available. I think the gap between Griffin and the next best college player is big enough that you have to take Griffin even if a trade is not in place.
john2jer
RealGM

Post#806 » by john2jer » Mon Mar 9, 2009 3:46 pm

If Rubio's not in the draft and we had the #1 with no pre-arranged trades, yeah you just take Blake Griffin and hope it all pans out. He's clearly the best player in the draft if Rubio isn't there. Kevin Love's going to drop 40 pounds and play the 3 anyways. ;-)
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#807 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Mar 9, 2009 3:49 pm

at first I was thinking if there was no trade in place that I wouldn't want to risk losing out on a guy like Harden, but when I think of it, I'd probably take Griffin; if Jefferson comes back 100% healthy and Love is ready to roll, then you still toss out Griffin for hopefully 25-30 mpg
Jonathan Watters
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#808 » by Jonathan Watters » Mon Mar 9, 2009 4:30 pm

Oh yeah, Griffin is the must-pick if it comes down to that. The only sure thing in the draft. That would be just the Wolves' luck, to win the lottery this year...
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,933

Post#809 » by Krapinsky » Mon Mar 9, 2009 4:41 pm

Harden is beginning to slow down. I think the gap between him and the rest of the guards in the mix is beginning to shrink.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#810 » by revprodeji » Mon Mar 9, 2009 4:55 pm

Harden is not fast or big enough to be a star.

Worm, the first pick would get Griffin. If we get that first pick there would be tons of time to work out a pre-arranged deal.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#811 » by Worm Guts » Mon Mar 9, 2009 4:57 pm

revprodeji wrote:
Worm, the first pick would get Griffin. If we get that first pick there would be tons of time to work out a pre-arranged deal.

That doesn't mean it would happen, I'm sure teams would attempt to low ball us since we already have Love and Jefferson.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#812 » by revprodeji » Mon Mar 9, 2009 5:07 pm

perhaps. But maybe we could get a bidding war. memphis and OKC perhaps?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#813 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Mar 9, 2009 5:30 pm

I think the bidding war would come from a team outside of the top 5; for ex., Atlanta would offer Josh Smith and Joe Johnson for Foye, Griffin, +filler /crystalball
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#814 » by revprodeji » Mon Mar 9, 2009 5:49 pm

Atlanta would be great.

Ironically, the fun of Joe Johnson would be pairing him with Foye. Perhaps instead of Foye we could move Pekovic or/and draft picks.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#815 » by deeney0 » Mon Mar 9, 2009 5:49 pm

Griffin is NOT a must pick. If #2 doesn't want to swap, and the offers are not forthcoming, Wolves gotta pick Rubio. They can't pick Griffin and hope a deal materialized later. They can't trade him for a pick below #2 and lose Rubio unless the other compensation is stellar.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#816 » by Worm Guts » Mon Mar 9, 2009 5:51 pm

deeney0 wrote:Griffin is NOT a must pick. If #2 doesn't want to swap, and the offers are not forthcoming, Wolves gotta pick Rubio. They can't pick Griffin and hope a deal materialized later. They can't trade him for a pick below #2 and lose Rubio unless the other compensation is stellar.

We were assuming Rubio wasn't in the draft, in which case he is a must pick. He might be anyway.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#817 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Mar 9, 2009 5:52 pm

deeney0 wrote:Griffin is NOT a must pick. If #2 doesn't want to swap, and the offers are not forthcoming, Wolves gotta pick Rubio. They can't pick Griffin and hope a deal materialized later. They can't trade him for a pick below #2 and lose Rubio unless the other compensation is stellar.

I was under the assumption this scenario is about Rubio not being in the draft. If Rubio is in the draft, I'd take him #1 as the best player in the draft.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#818 » by Worm Guts » Mon Mar 9, 2009 5:58 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:

I was under the assumption this scenario is about Rubio not being in the draft. If Rubio is in the draft, I'd take him #1 as the best player in the draft.

I have a hard time ranking Rubio since there's been so many problems with Euros drafted in the top 5. I've also seen mocks with him drafted at 3 or 4.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,556

Post#819 » by Foye » Mon Mar 9, 2009 6:09 pm

I guess Rubio could really fall to #3 because he is skinny. I would not even consider him a candidate for ROY because he will need time to adjust to the nba. Assuming he develops like I think we'll all be pretty disappointed after the first season but I believe he's going to get better and better once he gets stronger, adapts to the nba and will be similar to Steve Nash which is what the wolves need :lol:

Don't know where but i have heard Rubio won't come out if he is in danger of slipping outside of the top 3 because he needs to pay a part of his buyout in Spain.

Anyway, I have much faith in Rubio as a Euro ;)
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#820 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Mar 9, 2009 6:30 pm

Rubio has the total package, you compare him to Griffin who might very well be a below average NBA defender w/ questionable BBIQ and those are 2 huge concerns you don't find in Rubio's game.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves