ImageImageImage

Ben Simmons Thread #2 (“Don’t make me contact Howard” Edition)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,810

Re: Ben Simmons Thread #2 (“Don’t make me contact Howard” Edition) 

Post#861 » by winforlose » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:28 pm

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:
Mattya wrote:I’d still trade for Simmons, I’m just hoping Morey keeps tanking his value.

There’s really not anything I’d even consider offering that involved more than a bag of garbage from section 8 at target center.

This dude is toxic. And he can’t shoot so he’ll be a liability in the fourth qtr of important games. Phillys board is hilarious. One guy said he suppose he’d accept dlo/Beas and mcdaniels. That was probably the offer in July.

33% free throws in the playoffs. Enough said.
Chello1
Junior
And1: 114

Post#862 » by Chello1 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:34 pm

The only way this ends is when the owner tells Morey enough of my 35 million dollar investment making headlines off the court. Trade him and move on...... Morey has an ego the size of Texas and he will let this thing carry on forever to save his image above all else. He will go so far as to not make the right move if it may make him look bad. The owner is going to have to step in and say enough. That being said I hope we do not make a move for him. He sounds like a guy who could ruin our locker room and what we are building...
winforlose
General Manager

Post#863 » by winforlose » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:40 pm

His contract is terrible, his value is debatable, and his attitude is as toxic as most nuclear waste storage sites. The player we should be trading for is Paul Reed. Pair Paul with Naz and V8 and watch out.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,240

Post#864 » by Domejandro » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:07 am

Daryl Morey is probably going to ride this at least until the trade deadline.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#865 » by Krapinsky » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:17 am

winforlose wrote:His contract is terrible, his value is debatable, and his attitude is as toxic as most nuclear waste storage sites. The player we should be trading for is Paul Reed. Pair Paul with Naz and V8 and watch out.

Other than the one game where he torched the scrawny Wolves summer league team, what has been your favorite Paul Reed moment?
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#866 » by winforlose » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:21 am

Krapinsky wrote:
winforlose wrote:His contract is terrible, his value is debatable, and his attitude is as toxic as most nuclear waste storage sites. The player we should be trading for is Paul Reed. Pair Paul with Naz and V8 and watch out.

Other than the one game where he torched the scrawny Wolves summer league team, what has been your favorite Paul Reed moment?

His rebounding. In the preseason and in the G league last year the dude is a machine. He has the size and length (7’2 wingspan,) to really help us and bother other teams. I think he is gonna be huge in this league and I want to buy in cheap. Layman and 2 2nds for a guy who is their third string.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,440

Post#867 » by shrink » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:32 am

Read on Twitter

I think many people believe that if Ben Simmons is traded away from PHI, he will suddenly become fixed, mentally and emotionally. I am sure it would be harder for Ben to stay in PHI at this point, with media, fans, and even his teammates taking shots at him. But I think of his issues as part of his psyche. We saw problems in PHI, but we saw them at LSU and we saw them for Australia.

An inability to deal with pressure is a big deal for any NBA player, but it is especially troubling for a guy that wants to be your PG and is scared to shoot. We are used to looking at players with major injuries, and worrying if they will ever get back to being worth a max deal. I look at this as a mental injury, which manifests a chronic problem. I certainly do not believe if you get Simmons out of PHI, you automatically remove the emotional fragility that has plagued him everywhere else.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#868 » by Krapinsky » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:39 am

winforlose wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

His rebounding. In the preseason and in the G league last year the dude is a machine. He has the size and length (7’2 wingspan,) to really help us and bother other teams. I think he is gonna be huge in this league and I want to buy in cheap. Layman and 2 2nds for a guy who is their third string.

I'm just not sure if he can defend at an NBA level. He's not very disciplined and people go right by him. I know -- rebounding is a big part of defense and all that -- but I think he has too many miscues and question his BBIQ.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#869 » by winforlose » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:42 am

Krapinsky wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

I'm just not sure if he can defend at an NBA level. He's not very disciplined and people go right by him. I know -- rebounding is a big part of defense and all that -- but I think he has too many miscues and question his BBIQ.

You could be right. I honestly don’t know. That said, I think if the price is right it’s a risk worth taking.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#870 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:27 am

jpatrick wrote:It’s like people completely forget LSU Simmons. He didn’t give on bleep about winning that season. Put up stats but was a horrible defender and the team was actually better the year before he came and after he left than when he was actually there.

That said, outside of his playoff implosions, he’s been a great NBA player so far. Unique and definitely a tough fit for some teams but highly impactful. I would trade for him still. You win with stars. You combine Ant, Simmons, and Towns, I think you’re a top four seed in the West.

He couldn’t even lead lsu to the field of 68 teams playing in a conference that isn’t considered a ball conference
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,071

Post#871 » by wolves_89 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:40 am

I had bought into the idea of trading for Simmons during the off-season, but at this point I'm having second thoughts. I really like the Wolves team chemistry so far this year and bringing in Simmons seems like a risk I am becoming reluctant to take. I just wish the front office would move on and trade for an average rotation big that fits with the team rather than being stuck in limbo waiting for the Simmons situation to get resolved.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,674

Post#872 » by jpatrick » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:44 am

wolves_89 wrote:I had bought into the idea of trading for Simmons during the off-season, but at this point I'm having second thoughts. I really like the Wolves team chemistry so far this year and bringing in Simmons seems like a risk I am becoming reluctant to take. I just wish the front office would move on and trade for an average rotation big that fits with the team rather than being stuck in limbo waiting for the Simmons situation to get resolved.

I think unless Simmons suddenly gets moved, our team is our team until the deadline. Most teams are pretty set for the time being and they’re not moving someone good enough to be a starting level PF.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,071

Post#873 » by wolves_89 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:48 am

jpatrick wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:I had bought into the idea of trading for Simmons during the off-season, but at this point I'm having second thoughts. I really like the Wolves team chemistry so far this year and bringing in Simmons seems like a risk I am becoming reluctant to take. I just wish the front office would move on and trade for an average rotation big that fits with the team rather than being stuck in limbo waiting for the Simmons situation to get resolved.

I think unless Simmons suddenly gets moved, our team is our team until the deadline. Most teams are pretty set for the time being and they’re not moving someone good enough to be a starting level PF.

At this point, all I'd be looking for was a rotation level big (PF or C) with some size. The Wolves are going to need somebody who weighs more than 240 lbs sooner rather than later.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,587

Post#874 » by younggunsmn » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:29 am

Lol at all the shade at SImmons mental state. Cmon guys, we've been to this circus before.
Practice antics followed by a phantom injury? Ring any bells? Only question is who gets the ESPN interview.

This is SImmons trying to force his way out. He wants nothing to do with Rivers or Embiid.
You don't want to trade me and don't want to pay me? Imma make it as painful as possible.
Sure, he's tanking his brand in the short term. But all it takes is one monster game in his new city and he has it back.
Butler tanked his trade value to the point he was traded for 2 roleplayers when he could have garnered a haul at the draft a few months earlier.
How much lower is Morey going to let Simmons value sink? Right now he's in denial.
How much longer until bargaining and finally acceptance?

Swapping Russell and SImmons gets us I think 10-12 extra wins and thats the the most logical solution at this juncture.
Simmons is also a perfect fit in Finch's low-man scheme.
It looks like it can be successful in hiding KAT against teams without elite size, but its going to be awfully hard to hide Russell too.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,440

Post#875 » by shrink » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:11 am

While their situations are similar, I don’t think Jimmy Butler and Ben Simmons have anything similar between the ears.

Jimmy came into the NBA as the 30th pick, and road the bench for two years in Chicago before he even got major minutes. Simmons was drafted 1st, and has had every opportunity given to him.

Jimmy worked his tail off to improve his game. Simmons has the same flaws he did when he came in - they are probably worse than ever,

Jimmy wanted the ball in his hands for the last shot, no matter how many times he failed at it. Simmons passes up dunks, and has never been good in pressure situations,
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,798

Post#876 » by Slim Tubby » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:15 am

younggunsmn wrote:Lol at all the shade at SImmons mental state. Cmon guys, we've been to this circus before.
Practice antics followed by a phantom injury? Ring any bells? Only question is who gets the ESPN interview.

This is SImmons trying to force his way out. He wants nothing to do with Rivers or Embiid.
You don't want to trade me and don't want to pay me? Imma make it as painful as possible.
Sure, he's tanking his brand in the short term. But all it takes is one monster game in his new city and he has it back.
Butler tanked his trade value to the point he was traded for 2 roleplayers when he could have garnered a haul at the draft a few months earlier.
How much lower is Morey going to let Simmons value sink? Right now he's in denial.
How much longer until bargaining and finally acceptance?

Swapping Russell and SImmons gets us I think 10-12 extra wins and thats the the most logical solution at this juncture.
Simmons is also a perfect fit in Finch's low-man scheme.
It looks like it can be successful in hiding KAT against teams without elite size, but its going to be awfully hard to hide Russell too.

I’m not going to disagree with anything you’ve said but a player like Simmons that has expressed himself in such an immature/unprofessional way is not someone I’d want to introduce to my locker room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 766

Post#877 » by karch34 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:20 am

Chello1 wrote:The only way this ends is when the owner tells Morey enough of my 35 million dollar investment making headlines off the court. Trade him and move on...... Morey has an ego the size of Texas and he will let this thing carry on forever to save his image above all else. He will go so far as to not make the right move if it may make him look bad. The owner is going to have to step in and say enough. That being said I hope we do not make a move for him. He sounds like a guy who could ruin our locker room and what we are building...

Agreed. I don’t think Morey is wrong for thinking he shouldn’t sell for pennies on the dollar or that he still thinks Simmons on the team is more valuable than not. Too what level is debatable of course. But he’s in a tough spot due to the franchise player who says and does stupid things & a coach who’s failures are starting to (has?) overshadow his title with 3 in their prime HOFers, that threw Simmons under the bus.

I like where we’re potentially at right now so I’m still in the Layman and 2nd for a big as only tweak I’d make. Maybe that changes as season goes.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,600

Post#878 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:22 am

Only way Wolves should trade for Simmons if it's for a bunch of crap. No way they should add DLo. He's only 25 (younger than Simmons) and gets buckets. They need more shooters and guys who are perimeter threats, not give them away for someone who hasn't even shot 63% from FT line in any of the first four years of their career.
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,193

Post#879 » by Tukkerwolf » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:15 am

After last night (I'm a Wolves-fan, I am allowed to overreact to a Houston win) I am 100% sure we shouldn't trade for him. This is the most balanced roster we've had in years (decades? ever?). We've got shooters, playmakers, scorers, defensive glue guys,.. everything (except a large backup rim protector). Why break it up for Simmons? I don't see it at all and would be very disappointed if we did trade for him.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,240

Post#880 » by Domejandro » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:32 am

You should always take an opportunity to make your team better. Almost nobody at the time was a bigger “character concern” in the NBA than Rasheed Wallace, but the already excellent Detroit Pistons took a gamble on him (two unprotected firsts and decent players) right at the Trade Deadline.
https://www.nba.com/pistons/features/big-deal-pistons-deadline-acquisition-rasheed-wallace-shook-nba-and-brought-another-banner

I just think people are completely lost in the sauce on this topic. Ultimately, if the price point is right, Minnesota should pull the trigger. That said, Daryl Morey is fully comfortable holding out for more.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves