Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,650

Re: 2023 Free Agency 

Post#981 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:51 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Why hasn't be been waived then :noway: . If they're going to do it why haven't they done it. Oh well thanks for the tip.

Technically it sounds like a buyout is the plan...so they are likely negotiating the terms of the buyout.

Not only that, but the buyout deadline isn't until March 1st...

...for the player to be eligible to be on a playoff roster. (for full context of the deadline)
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 4,201

Post#982 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:18 am

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Why hasn't be been waived then :noway: . If they're going to do it why haven't they done it. Oh well thanks for the tip.

Technically it sounds like a buyout is the plan...so they are likely negotiating the terms of the buyout.

Because he has to agree to a number to not collect from the Spurs, I think he is allowed to negotiate with the team he plans to sign with to determine how much they will pay (at least I have heard rumors about that in the past.) So it is possible he is actually negotiating with the Wolves at present as well.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 16,343

Post#983 » by shrink » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:27 am

Good news on Marcus Morris! Finger crossed!

For many years, nearly all the buy out candidates never really contributed that much, despite fans going crazy over the rich getting richer. It turned out that most of these guys were more name than game. We have a pretty solid top 7-8, so at best, I was hoping for a guy that might be able to take up some bench minutes occasionally during the regular season, to keep our best players fresh for the playoffs.

However, Marcus Morris might be one of the few guys that could do more. We could use his playoff experience, and he is more of a two-way player than most buy out guys. On top of that, you can never have enough big wings when you get to the playoffs.

Good news, everybody!
winforlose
General Manager

Post#984 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:29 am

shrink wrote:Good news on Marcus Morris! Finger crossed!

For many years, nearly all the buy out candidates never really contributed that much, despite fans going crazy over the rich getting richer. It turned out that most of these guys were more name than game. We have a pretty solid top 7-8, so at best, I was hoping for a guy that might be able to take up some bench minutes occasionally during the regular season, to keep our best players fresh for the playoffs.

However, Marcus Morris might be one of the few guys that could do more. We could use his playoff experience, and he is more of a two-way player than most buy out guys. On top of that, you can never have enough big wings when you get to the playoffs.

Good news, everybody!

Especially when they are shooting 40% from deep.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,708

Post#985 » by Note30 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:30 am

Good news, everybody!

Fuxck that he's a locker room cancer
winforlose
General Manager

Post#986 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:33 am

Note30 wrote:

Good news, everybody!

Fuxck that he's a locker room cancer

Please elaborate?
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,142

Post#987 » by MN7725 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:37 am

jpatrick wrote:It doesn’t appear Detroit will waive/buy out Fournier. They’ve already waived enough players that they actually have an open roster spot, and I saw Doogie tweet that it sounds like he’s staying in Detroit.

I don’t see the Gallo fit. He can only defend center, and very poorly at that. I don’t see minutes for him here at center.

What does Joe Harris have left? Once upon a time, he was an elite 3/D. But has been injured the past couple years. Kick the tires there?

I don’t see Curry getting bought out. Right? Am I wrong?

Morris? I can’t see it. He’s more of a big. Unless we really are going to bench Kyle.

none of these guys would play unless there is an injury or possibly bad foul trouble

Morris at least has size/strength you can put on a Durant, Luka, Kawhi etc and can at least put up some resistance
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#988 » by jpatrick » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:51 am

MN7725 wrote:
jpatrick wrote:It doesn’t appear Detroit will waive/buy out Fournier. They’ve already waived enough players that they actually have an open roster spot, and I saw Doogie tweet that it sounds like he’s staying in Detroit.

I don’t see the Gallo fit. He can only defend center, and very poorly at that. I don’t see minutes for him here at center.

What does Joe Harris have left? Once upon a time, he was an elite 3/D. But has been injured the past couple years. Kick the tires there?

I don’t see Curry getting bought out. Right? Am I wrong?

Morris? I can’t see it. He’s more of a big. Unless we really are going to bench Kyle.

none of these guys would play unless there is an injury or possibly bad foul trouble

Morris at least has size/strength you can put on a Durant, Luka, Kawhi etc and can at least put up some resistance

We are paper thin on the wing. Last year we lost McDaniels and Naz right before the playoffs. If we lost NAW or McDaniels we essentially have no one to replace those minutes. We’d have to play our two remaining wings almost 48 minutes. To have a vet wing like Harris or Fournier to come in a play a competent 20 minutes in case or injury or foul trouble, providing some shooting, would be invaluable.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#989 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:54 am

MN7725 wrote:Morris at least has size/strength you can put on a Durant, Luka, Kawhi etc and can at least put up some resistance

I really think this is a big part of it. And I'll throw guys like Randle and Williamson into that list, since those are the exact types of players who give us the most fits.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#990 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:58 am

jpatrick wrote:We are paper thin on the wing. Last year we lost McDaniels and Naz right before the playoffs. If we lost NAW or McDaniels we essentially have no one to replace those minutes. We’d have to play our two remaining wings almost 48 minutes. To have a vet wing like Harris or Fournier to come in a play a competent 20 minutes in case or injury or foul trouble, providing some shooting, would be invaluable.

(Marcus) Morris is a big wing. Kyle Anderson is a big wing.

The problem last playoffs came because we had to replace both McDaniels AND Naz, so Kyle had to fill the frontcourt minutes with Towns and Gobert. Also the big lineups weren't as much of a thing either, which also helped thin things.
wolves_89
General Manager
And1: 4,175

Post#991 » by wolves_89 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:56 am

At this point it doesn't seem likely that a better option than Marcus Morris is going to become available on the buyout market. Hopefully the Wolves can get a deal done in time to have him practicing with the team when they come back from the all-star break.

The only other potentially useful guy with a small chance of a buyout would be Delon Wright. I'm not sure what the Wizards are doing as he's playing, but only getting 3-5 minutes a night.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#992 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:35 am

"On Marcus Morris, I would keep an eye on Minnesota. That probably makes the most sense for him." -Bobby Marks

"If you go through the buyout market, your options are limited when it comes to their next contract in free agency."
BlacJacMac
Starter
And1: 1,986

Post#993 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:30 pm

I believe we're at or near the deadline where we need to add another player, so this makes sense.

Read on Twitter
winforlose
General Manager

Post#994 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:35 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:I believe we're at or near the deadline where we need to add another player, so this makes sense.

Read on Twitter

We have 1 month at 13 players but only two consecutive weeks at a time. I heard somewhere (I think it was either an ESPN YouTube video or someone’s pod,) that 10 days are not actually for 10 days. They last 10 days or 3 games. I don’t know if the 3 games thing counts if the player is inactive. But assuming it does that means we have him until the 27th. Which should be more than enough.
wolves_89
General Manager
And1: 4,175

Post#995 » by wolves_89 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:43 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:I believe we're at or near the deadline where we need to add another player, so this makes sense.

Read on Twitter

I'm a bit surprised that the Wolves didn't reward one of their G-League guys like Martin or Stephenson with the 10-day contract. It's highly unlikely that whoever they signed was going to play a single meaningful minute.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#996 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:00 pm

wolves_89 wrote:

Read on Twitter

I'm a bit surprised that the Wolves didn't reward one of their G-League guys like Martin or Stephenson with the 10-day contract. It's highly unlikely that whoever they signed was going to play a single meaningful minute.

Maybe they brought him to help the Iowa Wolves get a look at him? I don’t think they wanna mess with the Iowa roster right now.
shrink
RealGM

Post#997 » by shrink » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:58 pm

wolves_89 wrote:

Read on Twitter

In general I agree, but the Wolves are urgently win-now, as they compete for home court advantage. And while Jackson may not even be as good as some Iowa Wolves, he’s still a seven year NBA vet who should know enough to go to the right spots on the floor and do his job, no on-the-job training required. You’re right, he may not take the floor, but he’s useful in a small roll if we need him. I also think that since this is a 10-day (not a vet min), the Wolves are delaying their choices for vet min to not miss out on anyone. We need 13+ on the roster, but vet min signings are eligible for the playoffs if they are signed before the end of the month.

Virtually any other year, I’m with you - reward the G-League with a 10 day.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#998 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:09 pm

shrink wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:

Read on Twitter

In general I agree, but the Wolves are urgently win-now, as they compete for home court advantage. And while Jackson may not even be as good as some Iowa Wolves, he’s still a seven year NBA vet who should know enough to go to the right spots on the floor and do his job, no on-the-job training required. You’re right, he may not take the floor, but he’s useful in a small roll if we need him. I also think that since this is a 10-day (not a vet min), the Wolves are delaying their choices for vet min to not miss out on anyone. We need 13+ on the roster, but vet min signings are eligible for the playoffs if they are signed before the end of the month.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t it true that all that is required for playoff eligibility is for that player to be waived/bought out by March 1? Even if we signed Morris on the 15th of March he would be eligible for the playoffs.
BlacJacMac
Starter
And1: 1,986

Post#999 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:22 pm

shrink wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yup.

Most recently, Jackson has been playing for the Dallas Mavericks G League affiliate team, the Texas Legends. He’s fared much better in the in the G-League, starting all 19 regular season games he’s appeared in so far this year, garnering averages of 19.5 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.4 stocks, on impressive .465/.412/.881 splits. The number that pops the most is his three-point shooting, knocking down 3.2 out of 7.8 triples per game. That number hikes up to 4.0 out of 9.1 per game when looking at his 16 Showcase Cup games, ranking number one in total makes (64), offensive rating (128.6), and offensive win shares (1.3). It’s clear that Connelly is taking a flyer on the soon to be 30-year-old for his offensive and shooting talents. A clear need for Minnesota.

https://www.canishoopus.com/2024/2/21/24079407/nba-free-agency-wolves-sign-forward-justin-jackson-to-10-day-contract-north-carolina-texas-legends
shrink
RealGM

Post#1000 » by shrink » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:25 pm

winforlose wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t it true that all that is required for playoff eligibility is for that player to be waived/bought out by March 1? Even if we signed Morris on the 15th of March he would be eligible for the playoffs.

Perfectly said. Thanks for keeping me honest on rules that never seemed to matter much to MIN for the last 20 years!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves