ImageImageImage

We are getting the youth, what about the vets?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,478

We are getting the youth, what about the vets? 

Post#1 » by Calinks » Sun Apr 4, 2010 10:24 pm

One of the main reasons why rebuilding teams are so bad is because they are so young. Youth is extremely important in building a perennial contender but when you want to start winning games you almost have to have some veteran leadership on the floor. I see all kinds of deals about bringing in young rookies or players in their early 20's but what about the players who have been around for a while? The difference makers that will help the team?

What players do you guys see that are at that 27+ age range who have been in the league and can provide some help? What role players or contributors would you like to see the wolves go after?
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Re: We are getting the youth, what about the vets? 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 4, 2010 10:33 pm

Wasn't T-Mac mentioned before this season? Hes averaging 10/4/4 since the move to NY.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,478

Post#3 » by Calinks » Sun Apr 4, 2010 10:43 pm

When I first read that it sounded a little crazy to me but I think that's a nice option. Do you mean as a starter or a bench player? Either way, his on the floor B-ball IQ will be a huge upgrade over our current 2's and 3's. It would be great if he could pass some things along to Corey. 10/4/4 would be very welcome on our back court as well.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#4 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 4, 2010 10:48 pm

Calinks wrote:When I first read that it sounded a little crazy to me but I think that's a nice option. Do you mean as a starter or a bench player? Either way, his on the floor B-ball IQ will be a huge upgrade over our current 2's and 3's. It would be great if he could pass some things along to Corey. 10/4/4 would be very welcome on our back court as well.

I think he could be a starter, but it depends on if we get Turner, too....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Breakdown777
Veteran
And1: 47

Post#5 » by Breakdown777 » Mon Apr 5, 2010 2:05 am

I'd like a vet PG who wouldn't be expected to log many minutes if any, just to mentor Jonny and Ramon.
As for a slightly older guy, isn't Gomes 27 right now? I guess I don't really want a super vet unless it's simmply a mentor role. Brian cardinal is pretty good for that.
If you want a guy who will get minutes, maybe even start, I'd need to think about the current FA market because most guys around 30 have pretty big contracts that I wouldn't be interested in. Maybe a guy like Rasual Butler, Mo Pete, or Bobby Simmons (on a small deal of course). I'd be looking for a smart player who can play a little D and hit a 3.
"Llevaré mi talento a Minnesota".
Steve_Holiday
Pro Prospect
And1: 51

Post#6 » by Steve_Holiday » Mon Apr 5, 2010 3:47 am

Juwan Howard, Anthony Carter, and Antonio Daniels.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#7 » by TheProdigy » Mon Apr 5, 2010 3:59 am

It depends what kind of role is intended for any veterans we bring in. If we want a guy that can both produce on the court and mentor the pups, then I'd have to say Manu Ginobili should be the target. I'm reluctant to suggest him because he probably comes with a hefty price tag. Let's say we re-sign Darko, sign Pekovic, and sign our 1st round picks(maybe trade a 1st for future picks). If we aren't left with enough money to sign Rudy Gay or a player of his caliber then we could use some(or all depending on how much money we have left) of the remaining money to sign Manu to a 2-3 year contract. He's 32 which is a little older than I would like, but he did score 43 points a few nights ago so he can definitely play. I can see him playing some good ball until he's 35 years old.

Other than Manu, I can't really think of any other free agent wing players that would be good mentors and be able to produce on the court. I've been saying all along that we should follow the Thunder's blueprint for building a team. If you take a look at their roster, there are only 3 players on their roster that are 27 or older. Nick Collison is the only one of them playing significant minutes, but he's not even starting. That team is living proof that a team can be transformed from a bottom dweller to a playoff team rather quickly without many veterans at all.

I say we stay the course by continuing to add and develop our young players. If you want to add a vet or two who are willing to ride the pine and be mentors then that's an option. If you want to add a veteran who can play but comes at the right price, then that's an option too. I just hope that we don't overpay any washed up vets or trade away our young talent before they have had the proper time to develop.
wilt
Analyst
And1: 147

Post#8 » by wilt » Mon Apr 5, 2010 8:50 am

I love McGrady and think he´s going to be a good player again after an offseason to get into shape, but the guy is a terrible ballstopper who doesn´t make plays off-the-ball at all and would never, ever be working out if Rambis is coach or doesn´t make a complete 180 on how to run the offense.

"Toughness is not just hard fouls and being willing to fight people. Toughness is being 10 down and continuing to do what your coach wants you to do."
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,459

Post#9 » by Foye » Mon Apr 5, 2010 10:57 am

I'd love Ray Allen but he'll sign with a contender for more money than we would want to spend on him..
slinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 76

Post#10 » by slinky » Mon Apr 5, 2010 12:25 pm

Mike Miller

I would love to see a Turner/Ellington/Brewer/Miller backcourt...Miller can shoot, rebound and move the basketball.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,459

Post#11 » by Foye » Mon Apr 5, 2010 12:34 pm

I like MM but Ellington's and his game are very similar. They can shoot, rebound, move the basketball and are defensive liabilities. Not sure if he fits well. ;)
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#12 » by C.lupus » Mon Apr 5, 2010 1:14 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure we need anyone that old. Al will be in his 7th season next year, Darko in his8th (can that be right?) so there is some experience in the frontcourt. I think we can get a younger vet wing player to throw in the mix. Gay is young but will be in his 5th season next year. Really the only other need I can see is maybe trading one of Flynn/Sessions for a vet pg. We'd be in pretty good shape then. We have the janitor, too. :wink:
slinky
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by slinky » Mon Apr 5, 2010 2:51 pm

I dont just want Mike Miller because of his experience or vet presence. I think he provides some of what the wolves lack. Specifically, the ability to move without the ball, the ability to shoot the ball and the ability to move the ball. Basically, he has a lot of ability in regards to the ball.

I am not sure about the comparison with Ellington. (Remember this is all assuming Evan Turner) I dont think Ellington can play SF, and while the hope is that Brewer can play the majority minutes at SF, I could see MM playing with both Brewer and Turner.

Heck, if we got Turner, I wouldnt rule out Turner playing the point at times. And I think a Turner/Brewer/Miller combination would be a great fit in the 'triangle' offense. And defensively it could work out against some of the bigger PGs(Brewer guarding the PG).

And I am not forgetting about Ellington...I am just not planning on him getting 30 minutes a night. I think we need 4 guys on the wing.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#14 » by Krapinsky » Mon Apr 5, 2010 3:00 pm

Josh Childress is probably the only player over 26 that I'm interested in that would require significant salary. I would like a vet point guard that could come into practice and teach our guys how to play defense. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure who that player is though. The ship has probably sailed on Lindsey Hunter, even as a third point, and someone like Earl Watson probably isn't ready to be relegated to a third point.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
slinky
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by slinky » Mon Apr 5, 2010 3:10 pm

But I do completely agree with the premise of the thread. We have 4 picks(3 1st and 1 2nd) plus Pekovic. I would not want to see 5 rookies on the team next year.

We definitely need a veteran presence off the floor(cardinal) and on the floor(not Cardinal). Most of our talk about offseason plans revolve around Gomes being gone, otherwise we wouldnt have the cap room. So that leaves Darko and Al Jefferson as the most experienced players on the roster. Followed by Ryan Hollins(!). None of these 3 are the take charge sort of player. Or necessarily the player you want leading the team.

How many times have we watched an offense just look completely lost out there? Obviously Rambis cant help out, Cardinal cant help out from his suit behind the bench. We need someone who can play some quality meaningful minutes when we need it.

Another cheaper option might be to re-sign Damien Wilkins. By all accounts he has been pretty positive effect of a lot of guys. Plus he can play a little. Or if you want a PG, maybe someone like Anthony Johnson.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,749

Post#16 » by shrink » Mon Apr 5, 2010 4:21 pm

I know Mike Miller is a little long in the tooth, but I think he'd be a nice fit. We certainly need to improve our passing, and I think he is easily smart enough to help a triangle run. His outside shooting would be a welcome addition. And with Darko, Jefferson, Love and Mike Miller (#2 RPG guard behind Iggy) .. how big would our rebounding margin be every game?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,749

Post#17 » by shrink » Mon Apr 5, 2010 4:26 pm

I always liked Devilz idea about looking at Travis Outlaw as well.

He's 26, but I suppose he's a vet, with 8 seasons in the books.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/372 ... BFugPaPKB4
AndyDoggy
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#18 » by AndyDoggy » Mon Apr 5, 2010 6:45 pm

Just from looking at our salary cap, why would we add any more veterans than we have to? Obviously with the 2010 free agency period I expect the Wolves will pick a guy up. Hopefully a midlevel guy with a short term contract, and not just throwing away money on players who are well past their prime in order to improve by only a handful of games.

Build the team through draft picks. It takes time and resilience, but the payoff is a much more exciting squad that will have the character and chemistry to go farther. Big time contracts are risky and can stunt teams that are trying to reach the next level. (Rockets, 76ers, Wizards, Knicks for the past decade)

If anything I'd say to follow the "money ball" pioneered in MLB. Find statistical difference makers and target the below the radar players that have those skill sets.
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#19 » by TrentTuckerForever » Tue Apr 6, 2010 5:06 pm

shrink wrote:I always liked Devilz idea about looking at Travis Outlaw as well.

+1, assuming we don't draft Johnson.
Klomp wrote:Didn't Brad Miller back up Vlade Divac in SAC too?
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#20 » by Krapinsky » Tue Apr 6, 2010 5:11 pm

TrentTuckerForever wrote:
shrink wrote:I always liked Devilz idea about looking at Travis Outlaw as well.

+1, assuming we don't draft Johnson.

I too, have been a supporter of Outlaw here. Pre injury his per 36 numbers were remarkably close to Rudy Gay's at the same age. Now, he would be about 1/3 the cost of Gay. He's a nice fall back option, and I like him as someone who could potentially guard face up 4's that Love does the dosie dough with.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves