ImageImageImage

Ideal skill-sets for Rambis System

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

slinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 76

Ideal skill-sets for Rambis System 

Post#1 » by slinky » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:28 pm

Over the next couple of months there will be lots of trade, draft and FA discussion. I think it would be important for us to have an understanding of the type of player needed in Rambis's system. I know I personally know much more about the type of players that dont fit rather than the ideal fits...

So assuming it is the same type of offense/defense he ran this year, what type of player is ideal at each position...again this is just a skill set, and not necessarily a particular player.

PG-
SG-
SF-
PF-
C-
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Re: Ideal skill-sets for Rambis System 

Post#2 » by moss_is_1 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:34 pm

Well while we do run the triangle, we are also a running team..
PG-Good passer, good shooter, he also seems to want them roaming on defense so maybe someone good in passing lanes.
SG-Good all around player, most likely a 1st option.
SF-Defender, hit open shots
Pf-Stretch the floor, good passer. I think the Pf and C it doesn't matter too much, one in the high post and the other the low post
C-Anchor on defense, Work in the high post, good passer(Darko is basically perfect)
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#3 » by The J Rocka » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:25 pm

PG-Rubio
SG-Turner
SF-Brewer or upgrade
PF-Big Al
C-Darko
Breakdown777
Veteran
And1: 47

Post#4 » by Breakdown777 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:06 pm

J_Era_3 wrote:PG-Rubio
SG-Turner
SF-Brewer or upgrade
PF-Big Al Horford
C-Darko

Fixed.
"Llevaré mi talento a Minnesota".
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#5 » by AQuintus » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:53 pm

Breakdown777 wrote:
SG-Turner
SF-Brewer or upgrade
PF-Big Al Horford
C-Darko

Fixed.

I agree with this. Jefferson is too slow to be an ideal fit for a running offense, and he takes too much time in the post to be an ideal fit in the halfcourt.

Someone like Horford, Favors, or even an Amare (providing we have a good defensive backcourt) would all be better fits.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#6 » by revprodeji » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:57 pm

Lets just say it. Favors could be a really good fit for the 4 spot with the triangle offense. Monroe could be also.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#7 » by The J Rocka » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:58 pm

SG-Turner
SF-Brewer or upgrade
PF-Big Al
C-Darko

PG-Rubio
SG-Turner
SF-Brewer/Prince
PF-Favors
C-Darko

FTW.
Slum_Dillinger
Junior
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Slum_Dillinger » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:59 pm

revprodeji wrote:Lets just say it. Favors could be a really good fit for the 4 spot with the triangle offense. Monroe could be also.

This. I love Monroe, but I think Favors would be a great fit next to Darko. Every time I hear Kahn talk, he always talks about athletes, and being more athletic. Favors fits that profile as a defensive big who can run the floor nicely.

Rubio
Turner
G.Wallace type (Iggy?)
Favors
Darko
RE: Trading for Beasley
PeeDee wrote:Don't want him.

Strike one: Supercoolbeas
Strike two: He was supercoolrelieved when MN didn't get a top-2 pick.
Strike three: Been in supercoolrehab already.
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#9 » by AQuintus » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:06 pm

revprodeji wrote:Lets just say it. Favors could be a really good fit for the 4 spot with the triangle offense. Monroe could be also.

Yeah, I could see him being a poor man's Pau. The only concern I would have with Monroe is that he's another below average athlete who isn't known for defense.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,079

Post#10 » by shangrila » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:30 pm

AQuintus wrote:

Yeah, I could see him being a poor man's Pau. The only concern I would have with Monroe is that he's another below average athlete who isn't known for defense.

Yeah I'd rather go for some athleticism with Favors then worry about another under the rim big man.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#11 » by revprodeji » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:45 pm

Clearly the difference would be that Favors would be with our top 5 pick, and Monroe would be a 10-15 if not with our Char pick.

My goal if I was the front office would be to do everything I can to bring Turner and Favors to the team this summer. Then you focus on bring in another scoring wing to fit with them and you have a long term nice team.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#12 » by AQuintus » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:41 pm

revprodeji wrote:Clearly the difference would be that Favors would be with our top 5 pick, and Monroe would be a 10-15 if not with our Char pick.

If we could get him there, then sure, but DE has Monroe going 9th and Draft.net has him going 6th. In all likelihood he'll be going somewhere in the top 10. So, if we were to make a move for another top 10 pick to get him (like the 7th from Detroit), we might as well add the extra value needed (Flynn, Pekovic, and/or our other picks) to move up and get Favors at 3 or 4.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#13 » by horaceworthy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:00 am

AQuintus wrote:

Monroe's not really a below-average athlete. He's a little like Evan Turner in that while he's a fairly good athlete, he just lacks explosive leaping ability. He runs the floor about as well as any big in the draft, even though his gait looks awkward as hell. Also, while he isn't known for defense, he's a good defender. He does a good job cutting off penetration before they have a chance to get a shot up, and he plays good on ball post defense. He's just not the type of player that routinely sends shots into the sixth row. I'm not sure how he'd fit with Darko, though, since they're both lefties and neither's an explosive finisher.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#14 » by B Calrissian » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:20 am

I thought Hinrich would be perfect when Kahn first described the way he wanted the offense to go.
I also think Hinrich would be perfect for Rambis' offense. But then again Kahn said Hinrich isn't what they are looking for..
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,560

Post#15 » by Calinks » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:33 am

Rambis said that they need basketball players. He doesn't like qualifying people as particular fits. He wants players that are smart and can play fundamental basketball.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Breakdown777
Veteran
And1: 47

Post#16 » by Breakdown777 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:38 am

I like Favors, but I can't help but compare him to Tyrus Thomas, who I consider somewhat of a flop. Can someone give me some insight as to why I'm possibly off base?
"Llevaré mi talento a Minnesota".
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#17 » by horaceworthy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:46 am

Favors isn't anything like Ty Thomas, really. Thomas is an elite athlete, skinny as a rail, thinks he's a small forward, a total headcase, and makes a better pogo stick than a basketball player at this point in time. Favors is much stronger, not as athletic from a run/jump standpoint, a post player through and through (and he knows it), has a pretty good feel for the game, and is by all accounts a high character kid. The only areas where they're comparable is height and the fact that neither was a finished project when they entered the draft.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#18 » by old rem » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:59 am

revprodeji wrote:Clearly the difference would be that Favors would be with our top 5 pick, and Monroe would be a 10-15 if not with our Char pick.

My goal if I was the front office would be to do everything I can to bring Turner and Favors to the team this summer. Then you focus on bring in another scoring wing to fit with them and you have a long term nice team.

Don't kid yourself. Monroe will go between 5-8. Mocks that put him AFTER Ed Davis? Do those guys ever update?
CENSORED... No comment.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#19 » by TheProdigy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:13 am

horaceworthy wrote:Favors isn't anything like Ty Thomas, really. Thomas is an elite athlete, skinny as a rail, thinks he's a small forward, a total headcase, and makes a better pogo stick than a basketball player at this point in time. Favors is much stronger, not as athletic from a run/jump standpoint, a post player through and through (and he knows it), has a pretty good feel for the game, and is by all accounts a high character kid. The only areas where they're comparable is height and the fact that neither was a finished project when they entered the draft.

Couldn't have said it better.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#20 » by Esohny » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:20 am

horaceworthy wrote:Favors isn't anything like Ty Thomas, really. Thomas is an elite athlete, skinny as a rail, thinks he's a small forward, a total headcase, and makes a better pogo stick than a basketball player at this point in time. Favors is much stronger, not as athletic from a run/jump standpoint, a post player through and through (and he knows it), has a pretty good feel for the game, and is by all accounts a high character kid. The only areas where they're comparable is height and the fact that neither was a finished project when they entered the draft.

I'd agree with this assessment.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves