ImageImageImage

The Newest Video Game Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Re: The Newest Video Game Thread 

Post#1801 » by ace625214 » Thu May 4, 2017 10:38 pm

Is there a limit on how long you can go? I know in some of the older Madden games the franchise mode ended at 30 seasons.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,332

Post#1802 » by Calinks » Fri May 5, 2017 12:01 am

I know you can at least go up to like 2080. So yea I am thinking of starting around 2040 or so. How crazy would it be if got super detailed. Like they had the sons or grandsons of NBA players in there, teams totally redid their brands, and they have some generic commentators doing play by play cause Kenny, EJ, and Shaq are dead LOL
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#1803 » by ace625214 » Fri May 5, 2017 2:09 am

It would be even better if it was still the same crew but they were really aged.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1804 » by Calinks » Sat May 6, 2017 12:23 am

I haven't done this in 2K17 yet but messed around with PC version of 2K16. Simmed about a decade and moved the Grizzlies to Vegas and changed the name to Eagles. What's pretty crazy is like the 6th leading scorer in the league is Joe Johnson JR. So players sons can be in future drafts, pretty cool. Wolves finally made the playoffs in like 2021, they area solid team but cant seem to get past the second round much. Also been upset a few times.

2K16 doesn't have some the cool features though like league rule changes and other tweaks. Will dive into that this weekend probably.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#1805 » by _AIJ_ » Sat May 6, 2017 4:26 pm

You guys play Dota 2?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using RealGM mobile app
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,785

Post#1806 » by UcanUwill » Sun May 7, 2017 3:56 pm

Calinks wrote:I haven't done this in 2K17 yet but messed around with PC version of 2K16. Simmed about a decade and moved the Grizzlies to Vegas and changed the name to Eagles. What's pretty crazy is like the 6th leading scorer in the league is Joe Johnson JR. So players sons can be in future drafts, pretty cool. Wolves finally made the playoffs in like 2021, they area solid team but cant seem to get past the second round much. Also been upset a few times.

2K16 doesn't have some the cool features though like league rule changes and other tweaks. Will dive into that this weekend probably.

I always been single player type of guy, so I love stuff like this. Very great mode. Gameplay itself needs some tweaks, maybe its just me and some of my sliders, but I am pretty poor at scoring off the dribble with elite guards, but post scoring seems too easy. Overall, scoring is way too easy for me, I just run pick and pop all the time and CPU just doesn't adapt to it. My 3PT% is ridiculous. Nemanja Bjelica is great in this game for me, KAT is perfect as hes a beast in two most OP things in the game - post scoring and pick and pop. Tho I am playing with Hawks, second season in, traded for Bjelica, Shabazz, Jokic.

They still haven't figured out how to make rebounding ratings relevant. I drafted a center with like 35 defensive rebounding, yet he still gets all the rebounds because he has great physical tools. I would also want to see some new ratings, like footwork and ability to handle double team. As of now, every player I control seem to struggle against double.

And please make auto generated draft Lithuanian names Lithuanian, its not that hard.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1807 » by Calinks » Sun May 7, 2017 6:07 pm

I agree the gameplay is not great, or at least, not as easy to grasp some things as it should be. Its also really hard for me to do anything with a dribble, they need to make that better, I can be elite with handles skill but still struggle to get by the most slow footed big.

Post moves are absolute cheese but its the main way I score cause getting open is a pain in the ass for me except on threes. Rebounding has been an issue forever, like 10 years plus. Its gotten a bit better but at the end of the day, in game, size trumps everything. One problem is boxing out, they still have not mastered the art of it. Players who are better rebounders should box out more and have more impact in doing so. When I play as the wolves, Towns just kills the boards, its a regular thing for him to get 17 or more for me in a game, its kind of ridiculous.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1808 » by Calinks » Sun May 7, 2017 7:58 pm

So this is pretty funny. I simulated a few more seasons in 2K16. In the upcoming draft we have both JR Smith JR and Al Jefferson JR. Smith is looking like a top 10 pick. Jefferson is looking like a joke. First rounder but he's a 6'4" PC/C who cant shot. He also went to the same HS as his dad and made the jump to the NBA from there. I am def going to follow his career and wonder of he looks like Al.

Also, Dwight Howard is back to back coach of the year for the Lakers... They wont the championship the season before last, DeAngelo Russel is always in the MVP race even after I nerfed him and brought his stats down to something more reasonable ( they had him rated 92, and just way better than Towns).
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1809 » by Calinks » Mon May 8, 2017 9:01 pm

So... I was wrong about Al Jefferson's kid being a joke. Also he grew 2 inches between HS and the draft.

Now Joe Johnson's kid, was a complete monster. Dominated the league and elevated the Lakers back to a dynasty level. Can't believe the longevity he had, he was elite through out all of his 30's.

10 time MVP
Scoring leader for probably 15-18 seasons
All time in scoring
All time in three's
Multiple championships
First team defense

He is easily on the basketball mount rushmore. He's probably the most accomplished basketball player ever.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#1810 » by King Malta » Wed May 10, 2017 3:17 am

Calinks wrote:So... I was wrong about Al Jefferson's kid being a joke. Also he grew 2 inches between HS and the draft.

Now Joe Johnson's kid, was a complete monster. Dominated the league and elevated the Lakers back to a dynasty level. Can't believe the longevity he had, he was elite through out all of his 30's.

10 time MVP
Scoring leader for probably 15-18 seasons
All time in scoring
All time in three's
Multiple championships
First team defense

He is easily on the basketball mount rushmore. He's probably the most accomplished basketball player ever.

Is the amount of *player x* Jr's at a ridiculous level?
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1811 » by Calinks » Wed May 10, 2017 4:30 am

Yea it got pretty high for me. It got to the point where you could get one or two in every other draft. i have seen probably 12+ in the 40 years or so I have simmed. They also usually tend to be good, some were a bust but typically they are at least ok starters. I have seen

Joe Johnson JR
Al Jefferson JR
JR Smith JR
Bradly Beal JR
Kevin Durant JR (He kind of sucked)

Others who I cant remember right now. The announcers or PA guy doesn't say their name which kind of stinks. I have also seen Jr's for created rookies in the game down the line. Now I wonder if there are any "The thirds".

I like the idea of this, I just think its a little too prevalent in 2K16. I would also prefer if they didn't all have to be juniors like it would be cool if they just had legacy players and its obvious because they could have some kind of symbol or something by the last name. Instead of Joe Johnson Jr. if could be James Johnson* or whatever and it would indicate they are related to a player and then maybe on the player card you can see the actual relation. Would be cool to see siblings, grand kids, cousins, etc. Could also play into relationships/chemistry if they really want to get detailed and have like brothers, have good chemistry together if they are on the same team. That' s probably a little too detailed though, I would just like a familial relations indicator.
Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant
And1: 382

Post#1812 » by Jersey Generals » Wed May 10, 2017 6:32 pm

Hey guys, didn't know where to put this, so thought I would just throw it into the video game thread. A few years ago, the Nets and Timberwolves board ran a Build a Team between us, and since the Nets enjoyed you all, I figured I'd offer. We have four spots on a playoff build a team that I am running on the Nets board, I hoped some of you may want to fill it in order to get us to 16 teams.

This game is not anywhere close to how big it was last time, it's literally going to be a draft, MAYBE a free agency period and then a simple 16 team bracket with each team winning by way of a vote to move onto the next round. If you're interested, come on over to the Nets board and sign up on the thread at the top of the forum labeled 2017 Nets build a team game.

Thanks!
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1813 » by Calinks » Thu May 11, 2017 11:28 pm

Calling it now, Towns will be on the cover on 2K18. They have used him a lot to advertise 2k17, he is on the cover of the 2k17 app. I think he is definitely near the top of the list of NBA players they want to put on a cover. New Jersey may also push or hold that decision back depending on when they need to reveal the cover. If he's not on this year, I think baring some crazy drop he is getting on very very soon.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#1814 » by TheDominator273 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:23 am

Shameless plug for my player lock career in 2k. Running a dynasty thread on OS, would love if you guys would check it out.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908289
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1815 » by Calinks » Fri May 12, 2017 3:28 am

lbj273 wrote:Shameless plug for my player lock career in 2k. Running a dynasty thread on OS, would love if you guys would check it out.

Thats crazy detailed man. Ddint know you were a big 2K fan. Did you mod your game for this? That on PC? Also I really wish we got a new college hoops. It would be so good with todays production values. 2k8 is still a cool game.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#1816 » by Mattya » Fri May 12, 2017 3:39 am

Calinks wrote:Calling it now, Towns will be on the cover on 2K18. They have used him a lot to advertise 2k17, he is on the cover of the 2k17 app. I think he is definitely near the top of the list of NBA players they want to put on a cover. New Jersey may also push or hold that decision back depending on when they need to reveal the cover. If he's not on this year, I think baring some crazy drop he is getting on very very soon.

I don't know much about these games anymore, but I thought Shaq was announced as the cover athlete. Is his cover just a special or limited edition of the game?
TheDominator273
Sixth Man

Re: RE: Re: The Newest Video Game Thread 

Post#1817 » by TheDominator273 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:18 am

Calinks wrote:
lbj273 wrote:Shameless plug for my player lock career in 2k. Running a dynasty thread on OS, would love if you guys would check it out.

Thats crazy detailed man. Ddint know you were a big 2K fan. Did you mod your game for this? That on PC? Also I really wish we got a new college hoops. It would be so good with todays production values. 2k8 is still a cool game.

I'm a big sports gamer in general. I'm playing on Xbox which made this a little painful to do, it required 3 separate MyLeague files.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1818 » by Calinks » Fri May 12, 2017 4:35 am

Mattya wrote:
Calinks wrote:Calling it now, Towns will be on the cover on 2K18. They have used him a lot to advertise 2k17, he is on the cover of the 2k17 app. I think he is definitely near the top of the list of NBA players they want to put on a cover. New Jersey may also push or hold that decision back depending on when they need to reveal the cover. If he's not on this year, I think baring some crazy drop he is getting on very very soon.

I don't know much about these games anymore, but I thought Shaq was announced as the cover athlete. Is his cover just a special or limited edition of the game?

Yea he has the legends edition cover. Last year Kobe had I think.
lbj273 wrote:
Calinks wrote:

I'm a big sports gamer in general. I'm playing on Xbox which made this a little painful to do, it required 3 separate MyLeague files.

Wow, don't know how you pulled that off on xbox. Damn.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man

Re: RE: Re: The Newest Video Game Thread 

Post#1819 » by TheDominator273 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:04 am

Calinks wrote:
lbj273 wrote:
Calinks wrote:Thats crazy detailed man. Ddint know you were a big 2K fan. Did you mod your game for this? That on PC? Also I really wish we got a new college hoops. It would be so good with todays production values. 2k8 is still a cool game.

Wow, don't know how you pulled that off on xbox. Damn.

Got lucky someone put in a ton of work to create a semi accurate roster and there are loads of collegiate team designs available on 2kshare so that part didn't require much work either.

Just posted my the first division I've rebranded. I'm having as much fun doing this as I do actually playing games.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1820 » by Calinks » Mon May 15, 2017 1:35 am

Finally started my 2K17 future sim franchise. Picked the Grizzlies again but I am having minimal input just seeing how things go. In 2018 the wolves got the number 1 pick and they drafted a big time player. Guy is named Rudy Dean, 6'10" PF/C. He has 13 badges already in year 2 his pie chart is almost totally full, he has decent jump shots range but his best stats are in defense. Saw him play a simmed game and he was killing it, real force in the post. Best of all, his potential is a 99 rating, don't think I have ever seen that. This guy is probably going to be better than Towns. Wolves got a true two tower situation now.

PS, he also has a 85 rating in his sophomore season.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves