ImageImageImage

Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#61 » by LordBaldric » Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:26 pm

Pau is also playing like he doesn't give a **** this season.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#62 » by Klomp » Mon Dec 3, 2012 5:29 am

Fueling the fire even more?

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson

Nope. More on this later in week. “@twolves_groupie: @DarrenWolfson would u be surprised if Kahn was calling on pau? I wouldn't be...”
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#63 » by Klomp » Mon Dec 3, 2012 5:38 am

If I had to guess, I'd say something with this structure:

MIN Out: Derrick Williams
MIN In: Pau Gasol

ATL Out: Josh Smith
ATL In: Derrick Williams

LAL Out: Pau Gasol
LAL In: Josh Smith

Obviously a lot more salary would need to be sent out on our end.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by Klomp » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:03 am

I understand the reluctance to choose Pau over Nikola. I get it.

However, it makes sense, especially when looking at the current salary structure of our roster.

Gasol's current deal expires after next season, 2013-14. As it stands now, there are only 5 players who would be on the books for 2014-15: Love, Williams, Barea, Rubio, Shved. Love and Rubio are untouchable this point and Shved is a wild card, but Williams and Barea would likely be included in any Gasol trade.

The summer of 2014 is a very important summer for this franchise. It will determine the path this franchise will take through the remainder of the decade. Not only is it the summer that Rubio can sign his first extension, but it is also the offseason before Love can opt out of his deal. Gasol is a win-now piece who brings an ideal skillset to the Adelman system at the center position.

If we acquired Gasol for a two-year run and were successful enough, it may be enough to keep Kevin around another 4-5 years. If Love decides not to re-up, we ship him out that summer for young prospects and picks, and rebuild with virtually no negatives on the salary cap. With a ownership change in the works, that is huge.

Pekovic will likely get a near max deal, as much as fans don't want to admit it. Are we willing to pay that much ($12m) if we are going through a rebuilding phase? I guess I'd be surprised. I like Pekovic, but it'd be like the Al Jefferson contract all over again.

I know people want to choose Pekovic over Gasol for youth and potential, but that may not be what's best for this franchise in the longterm.

AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#65 » by AQuintus » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:05 am

Klomp wrote:
Obviously a lot more salary would need to be sent out on our end.

And that's a big problem with this trade.

Pau = 19 million even, so the total amount leaving the Wolves would have to be at least 14 million

Williams = 4.8 million

Roy's expiring = 5.1 million and can't be moved until Dec. 15

Ridnour = 4 million

Barea = 4.49 million

Pekovic (more valuable than Pau) = 4.83 million

Total (Williams, Roy, Ridnour) = 13.9 (not quite enough)
Total (Williams, Roy, Barea) = 14.8 (enough) <- This would pretty much have to be the trade on our end, since we'd still need Pek to get us a SG in a trade. This would also push us very close to the luxury tax.

There is also the big problem of Josh Smith being more valuable than Pau and Williams and the Lakers don't have any decent assets to make up the difference.
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#66 » by AQuintus » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:07 am

Klomp wrote:Pekovic will likely get a near max deal, as much as fans don't want to admit it. Are we willing to pay that much ($12m) if we are going through a rebuilding phase? I guess I'd be surprised. I like Pekovic, but it'd be like the Al Jefferson contract all over again.

I'd take a 12 million a year, 26 year old, improving Nikola Pekovic 1 million times out of a million over a 19 million a year, 32 year old, regressing Pau Gasol. It's not even something that warrants any kind of thought or consideration it's so obvious a choice.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Klomp » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:21 am

AQuintus wrote:
Klomp wrote:Pekovic will likely get a near max deal, as much as fans don't want to admit it. Are we willing to pay that much ($12m) if we are going through a rebuilding phase? I guess I'd be surprised. I like Pekovic, but it'd be like the Al Jefferson contract all over again.

I'd take a 12 million a year, 26 year old, improving Nikola Pekovic 1 million times out of a million over a 19 million a year, 32 year old, regressing Pau Gasol. It's not even something that warrants any kind of thought or consideration it's so obvious a choice.

But is he improving though? I'm not just talking about early this season, I'm projecting out longterm. Offensively, he is what he is. There's not much more development. He'll never be a threat on the perimeter, and he'll never be as good a passer as Gasol. I appreciate the improvements that he's made on the defensive end, but I'm still not convinced he'd be worth such a large contract. Even though Gasol is getting older, he still has his length. Pekovic doesn't.

As an interesting point of reference, Pau Gasol is roughly the same age as Vlade Divac was when he signed in Sacramento. Also, at that point, Chris Webber was roughly the same age that Kevin Love is now. They played six years together.

The 19m number is a concern, I get that. But its only on the books for one more season. After that, he could probably be resigned for half of what Pekovic will be making.

The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#68 » by The J Rocka » Mon Dec 3, 2012 7:03 am

I agree that what we've seen from Pek is pretty much what we may very well see for the rest of his career. I don't see any major jump in improvement. I think he is what he is.

Question is, is that worth a max? I honestly don't think so, but it's going to happen regardless. I'm also concerned about his durability down the road.

With Gasol, I think he does fit here. $20 mil in his 12th season looking like he's on the decline is a tough pill to swallow but if he's decent here, maybe he will be re-signed for half of what Pek could potentially make when his contract is up? Maybe he just needs a change of scenery?

What happens if Pau is complete trash and we need a franchise center again? We just moved Pek and we have to start all over again? I guess we would have the money to spend in FA to go after somebody like Gortat but nothing is certain.

I'm glad I don't have to make a decision like this. A lot of question from both sides.
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#69 » by AQuintus » Mon Dec 3, 2012 7:06 am

For me, it really comes down to a simple equation.

Is Pekovic at 12 million a year (his contract will likely be less, imo) + whatever we can trade Williams and Ridnour for > Pau Gasol at 19 million a year + whatever we can trade Pekovic for*.

If the answer is yes, then we trade for Pau. If no, then we don't.

* Pekovic in any Gasol trade is a complete non-starter.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#70 » by shrink » Mon Dec 3, 2012 1:06 pm

Do you ever feel like if something is repeated often enough by the media in a major market, people start to believe it?

Pau Gasol is exactly the opposite of the direction MIN needs to go, wasting assets to fix a problem that doesn't exist, while MIN starts free agent reject Josh Howard at SG.

Gasol is:

- ultra-expensive - for two years!
- quite old
- having a bad season now
- declining
- plays a position we don't need
- some of his offensive skills duplicate our best player
- would be unhappy to be here
- would require assets to acquire, despite being massively overpaid

Which of those fit the Wolves?

Shipping off Gasol before the new lux tax hits would be a giant win for LA, but this feels like they are trying to foist him on us without any concern whatsoever for how he fits with this team.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,070

Post#71 » by sisibilio » Mon Dec 3, 2012 5:55 pm

What if you could add Gasol without giving up anything but some depth and keep the team under the luxury?

It's a bit complicated but hey, i guess it works.

LAL out: Gasol, Meeks
LAL in: Williams, Ridnour, Roy

Min out: Williams, Ridnour, Roy, Barea
Min in :Gasol, Meeks

Hou out: 11.7% of Harden's facial hair
Hou in: Barea

You'd still have enough cap next season to re-sign Pek and Budinger, get your shooter (not a great player but still an upgrade over Lee) and Shved can back up both G positions (he's already the de facto PG when he is out anyway).
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#72 » by Mattya » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:27 pm

It doesn't make sense to me to keep Pek if Pau is coming in. Any trade with that happening means we probably won't resign Pek.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#73 » by [RCG] » Mon Dec 3, 2012 8:36 pm

Even more complicated:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c6ruk2s
-sign a vet min PG

Rubio/Shved/VetMin/Lee
Beal/Shved/(Budinger)/Lee
Kirlenko/(Budinger)Howard/Cunningham
Love/Gasol/Cunninham/Amundson
Gasol/Stiemsma
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#74 » by C.lupus » Mon Dec 3, 2012 8:58 pm

One terrible trade after another. There is not a good Pau trade because he doesn't fit on this team.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#75 » by cpfsf » Mon Dec 3, 2012 9:02 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Gasol used to be better than Pek. Pek has been more productive this year. I just don't know how much Gasol has left in the tank. The age and salary difference make it not worth the risk.

Not to mention trading half the team to make it work. The only way I could see him playing in Minnesota is if he accepts the MLE.

Quick, trade for Calderon now. There's no time to explain!

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,104

Post#76 » by m2002brian » Mon Dec 3, 2012 9:04 pm

Can someone tell me, who is the Miami Heats "franchise center"?

The center position is not nearly as big of a deal as it is being made out to be on in this thread.

I'm not for Pau, but Pek isn't nearly as important as it seems some people are making it out to be.
BLUEGREENRED
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,070

Post#77 » by sisibilio » Mon Dec 3, 2012 9:05 pm

Mattya wrote:It doesn't make sense to me to keep Pek if Pau is coming in. Any trade with that happening means we probably won't resign Pek.

I don't see why.
If you include Williams, Barea and Ridnour in the deal and assuming Roy and Stiemsma will be gone in the summer you can afford both.

Minute distribution this season:

Rubio (33) / Shved (10) / VetMin-Lee (5)
Meeks (20) / Shved (20) / Lee (8)
Kirlenko (35) / Howard (10) / Cunningham (3)
Love (35) / Gasol(10) / Cunningham (3) / Amundson
Gasol (20) / Pekovic (28) / Stiemsma

Once Budinger is back he'll take all the minutes of Lee-Howard and some of Shved-Meeks in the SG position and you'd be able to rest AK some more.
Not saying that it's likely or anything but it could work, and you would be a much more dangerous team, i don't think anyone can doubt that.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#78 » by FinnTheHuman » Mon Dec 3, 2012 9:40 pm

Pau is not as good as Pek for our team. You are all glorifying Pau's diversity. Well, we don't need diversity, we need a good role player which Pek is, in all his greatness. We already have a diverse big, and that's Love.
LaViggins
Senior
And1: 140

Post#79 » by LaViggins » Mon Dec 3, 2012 9:51 pm

I would want Pau, but its not worth giving up Pek.

It would be insane to see these 5 on the court at the same time

Rubio
Shved
Love
Pau
Pek
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#80 » by funkatron101 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 10:02 pm

Twolves_42 wrote:I would want Pau, but its not worth giving up Pek.

It would be insane to see these 5 on the court at the same time

Rubio
Shved
Love
Pau
Pek

Love is not quick or agile enough to guard the 3.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves