I have an Idea

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Re: I have an Idea 

Post#31 » by [RCG] » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:50 am

Basti wrote:
[RCG] wrote:I'm thinking the Magic, Suns or SuperSonics win this year.

Not gonna lie, if the Magic will get the #1 pick I'd be super freaking furious. I'd still don't think the draft is rigged but how lucky could one franchise be in terms of lottery luck if that were to happen.

What makes you think the Suns would win it? Just because they lost Nash?

Nash, yeah. Plus they could use an infusion of young talent more of just a gut feeling though. They don't really have a centerpiece on that team.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#32 » by Mattya » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:55 am

It has to be between the Sonics and Magic. Way to much coincidence in the draft for it not to be rigged.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,581

Post#33 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:16 am

Basti wrote:Not gonna lie, if the Magic will get the #1 pick I'd be super freaking furious. I'd still don't think the draft is rigged but how lucky could one franchise be in terms of lottery luck if that were to happen.

On the bright side, there's not a O'Neal/Howard this year if they do win it. :D
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,581

Post#34 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:50 am

[RCG] wrote:Nash, yeah. Plus they could use an infusion of young talent more of just a gut feeling though. They don't really have a centerpiece on that team.

Dejavu?

Suns also own LAL's unprotected first, which is currently tied for the 10th pick. Somewhat like two years ago, when the Cavs owned the Clippers unprotected 1st, which was the 8th best odds, but ended up being the winner.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#35 » by [RCG] » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:56 am

Klomp wrote:
[RCG] wrote:Nash, yeah. Plus they could use an infusion of young talent more of just a gut feeling though. They don't really have a centerpiece on that team.

Dejavu?

Suns also own LAL's unprotected first, which is currently tied for the 10th pick. Somewhat like two years ago, when the Cavs owned the Clippers unprotected 1st, which was the 8th best odds, but ended up being the winner.

Ruh roh.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,978

Lottery 

Post#36 » by shrink » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:27 pm

The questions that I think Stern and the owners would ask are:

1. If the top draft pick likely to be a Grade A superstar?
2. Does the top draft pick have local connections with any struggling franchise?
3. Did a team lose a superstar so that the fans have reason to abandon the team?
4. Is there a struggling franchise that an owner wants to sell?

If the Maloofs hadn't sold their team, I'd have guessed it would be SAC. SEA probably doesn't need a 1st to get fans to see the team though, but it's a possibility.

Suns are a great guess. I'll go with that.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#37 » by Dewey » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:45 pm

The lottery is rigged - zero doubt. Until they choose W-L record as the determining factor, it will always lower the credibility of the NBA.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#38 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:09 pm

It's not rigged, it would just be too big of a risk and there would need to be too many people involved. It would leak and there would be huge repercussions. I don't think there's a lot to be gained by doing it, and I don't think owners would take kindly to franchise changing players being handed out on the whims of David Stern.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#39 » by C.lupus » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:45 pm

The lottery is overly complicated but it is not rigged.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#40 » by [RCG] » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:00 pm

Until we win, it's rigged :wink:
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#41 » by Dewey » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:39 pm

[RCG] wrote:Until we win, it's rigged :wink:

AMEN
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#42 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:42 pm

definitely rigged, probably via an elaborate Rube Goldberg contraption
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#43 » by Basti » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Dewey wrote:The lottery is rigged - zero doubt. Until they choose W-L record as the determining factor, it will always lower the credibility of the NBA.

How about you address some of the points I made about this subject earlier in this thread than just simply making a claim that is based on hearsay (to me) and some luck.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#44 » by Jukeness » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:12 pm

I say the coincidences are way too much for me to not think it's rigged.

Washington gets #1 pick, had like a 3% chance of getting it.

Cleaveland gets #1 pick, because they lost Lebron.

Then NO gets it because they lost Paul.

I have predicted the last 3, it's too rediculous for me. I would say either the Sonics or Orlando this year, but that seems too obvious if it is rigged.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#45 » by [RCG] » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:46 pm

New Orleans is also because Stern vetoed their original trade.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#46 » by Basti » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:18 am

People like to forget that even having the worst record and the highest lottery odds means nothing more than one hit in four tries, statistically speaking. Obviously, the lesser ping pong balls you have the lower your chances but the difference between the highest odds (25%) and the fourth highest odds (roughly 14%) isn't THAT big.

Also, while I have yet to fully grasp how it works as soon as a team with rather low odds (say six or seventh highest odds) moves up the whole order gets messed up anyway. I'd really like to know why teams who were supposed to pick at six or seven move up into the top three automatically whenever they weren't picked at their expected slot.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#47 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:58 am

They only choose the first 3 picks, after that it goes by record.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#48 » by Grits n Gravy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:57 am

Worm Guts wrote:They only choose the first 3 picks, after that it goes by record.

yep. i think they have a great big chart with one thousand numbers, each team is assigned a different amount of those based on their standing and chance. e.g number one team gets 250 random numbers. 4 ping pongs are drawn to establish a number 3 times and the 3 teams are selected from there.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves