Minnesota Timberwolves Cap Space Reference Chart

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Re: Minnesota Timberwolves Cap Space Reference Chart 

Post#181 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 3, 2017 12:10 am

I prefer either Wyn's chart or the one Eric Pincus does. Smitty's is also good.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#182 » by Krapinsky » Mon Jul 3, 2017 2:45 am

Random guy on twitter says we have $2.17M available.

Read on Twitter
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#183 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:33 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#184 » by ace625214 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:09 pm

I really figured we would decline the option on KAT. He's been such a disappointment and not worth his salary thus far.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#185 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Jan 2, 2018 12:11 am

- Next season we're going to be at $112,722,358 (9 players + Kevin Martin stretched) millions without counting Cole Aldrich (NG), Bjelica (QO), Marcus Georges-Hunt (QO)

- Salary Cap is projected to be at $103,000,000
- Luxury tax line is projected to be at 119,000,000
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#186 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 2, 2018 12:25 am

mercgold3 wrote:- Next season we're going to be at $112,722,358 (9 players + Kevin Martin stretched) millions without counting Cole Aldrich (NG), Bjelica (QO), Marcus Georges-Hunt (QO)

Remember that luxury tax payments aren't calculated until the last day of the regular season.

Also, I did the math to double-check your numbers, but now I don't remember if it included Muhammad's player option or not. If it did, a reminder that for minimum contracts they use the 2-year minimum in calculations. It's only about 100k difference for Bazz, but still important to point out.

I wouldn't even rule out Crawford opting out and re-signing for the minimum to help out the team. That could save about $3 million on the cap.

Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#187 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Jan 2, 2018 12:44 am

Klomp wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:- Next season we're going to be at $112,722,358 (9 players + Kevin Martin stretched) millions without counting Cole Aldrich (NG), Bjelica (QO), Marcus Georges-Hunt (QO)

Remember that luxury tax payments aren't calculated until the last day of the regular season.

Also, I did the math to double-check your numbers, but now I don't remember if it included Muhammad's player option or not. If it did, a reminder that for minimum contracts they use the 2-year minimum in calculations. It's only about 100k difference for Bazz, but still important to point out.

I wouldn't even rule out Crawford opting out and re-signing for the minimum to help out the team. That could save about $3 million on the cap.

Yeah, I didn't incluide Shabazz PO.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#188 » by shrink » Tue Jan 2, 2018 2:28 am

Good info. I think you need to count the $2 mil guaranteed to Aldrich, which gets us close to $114.7

The big thing though is that is only nine players. To get up to a full roster there are these options.

$1.56 OKC pick
$5.5 tax-payer MLE
$3.5 BAE
$1.6 if Bazz picks up his player option
$0.8-$1.5 (edit) for each vet min
???? for Bjelica with Bird rights.

With the lux threshold at $120.8, we can quickly get a big bill. If we go $5 mil over the lux, it costs us $12.5 mil. If we go $10 mil over, that's $26 mil. $15 mil over costs $44 mil.

Obviously we need to get up to league minimum of 13 players plus a couple 2-ways, and likely 14-15. Using the exceptions is common, because it adds "free" talent without trading anything away, so we're likely $5 mil over the lux, even if we don't keep Bazz or Bjelica.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#189 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 2, 2018 2:29 am

Vet mins are more than that I think. Closer to double that

Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#190 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Jan 2, 2018 2:32 am

So that means Bjelica is probably gone after this season... We pretty much can't match any offer he gets...
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#191 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 2, 2018 2:35 am

mercgold3 wrote:So that means Bjelica is probably gone after this season... We pretty much can't match any offer he gets...

Plenty of time to make moves before then...

Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#192 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Jan 2, 2018 2:38 am

Klomp wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:So that means Bjelica is probably gone after this season... We pretty much can't match any offer he gets...

Plenty of time to make moves before then...

Sure, but the only realistic name to be moved and make an impact in the cap space situation is Dieng... And i really dont see anyone taking Dieng contract, not even with the OKC pick attached.
shrink
RealGM

Post#193 » by shrink » Tue Jan 2, 2018 2:51 am

Klomp wrote:Vet mins are more than that I think. Closer to double that

I think it depends on the amount of service, the minimum salary is $815,615 for zero years. It goes up depending on years, however, the NBA pays anything more than the price of a two year vet min deal, to encourage teams to keep old players in.

Bottom line, you're probably right - we would add vets. This year it's $1,471,382. Next year it will go up,or down, based on whether the cap goes up or down.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#194 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 2, 2018 2:52 am

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:Vet mins are more than that I think. Closer to double that

I think it depends on the amount of service, the minimum salary is $815,615 for zero years. It goes up depending on years, however, the NBA pays anything more than the price of a two year vet min deal, to encourage teams to keep old players in.

Bottom line, you're probably right - we would add vets. This year it's $1,471,382. Next year it will go up,or down, based on whether the cap goes up or down.

Yeah I was referring to the $1.47m

shrink
RealGM

Post#195 » by shrink » Tue Jan 2, 2018 2:58 am

In the end, I think we need to be looking to trim next year's fat.

I'd like to trade Aldrich away for even a larger expiring to eliminate that cap hold. A Gorgui deal, or even Teague would help finacially, but I don't want to take a big step back that hurts on-court talent or chemistry,
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#196 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 2, 2018 3:03 am

shrink wrote:In the end, I think we need to be looking to trim next year's fat.

I'd like to trade Aldrich away for even a larger expiring to eliminate that cap hold. A Gorgui deal, or even Teague would help finacially, but I don't want to take a big step back that hurts on-court talent or chemistry,

Look for teams that are dangerously close to the tax this year, and who may be willing to add a year on a deal in exchange for a lower cap hit this season?

For example, Phoenix is a good example if they were near the tax. Chandler/Dieng, Dudley/Aldrich

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#197 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 2, 2018 3:15 am

Portland and Washington are currently over the tax. TOR, NO, LAC all within about $2 million of going over.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#198 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 8, 2018 5:49 pm

I did some updates on the OP.

IMO, we're not quite in as bad a spot as I originally thought we were. With all cap holds picked up (draft pick TBD), we're only barely above the luxury tax line. In my opinion, there's about $8-10 million of wiggle room with Aldrich's likely waiver and depending on what happens with Bjelica. Taking those two holds off the books frees $12,404,998 from the cap, putting us around $10 million below the line with 11 or 12 guys under contract. That number already roughly includes two or three players on veteran's minimums (cap holds from Brooks, Georges-Hunt and Rose).

If Bjelica comes in around $4-5 million and figuring a rookie first rounder (~$2,000,000), that would still leave us with hopefully enough space for the equivalent of a room MLE.

Also, a reminder, luxury tax payment calculations don't occur until the last day of the regular season. If a guy is traded away midseason, his contract doesn't get factored into the equation. And I just realized cap holds don't count towards the payment, so the stretched Kevin Martin deal (last year finally!) doesn't get added in.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves