ImageImageImage

The Positivity Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 217

Re: The Positivity Thread 

Post#281 » by Macwolf527 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:16 am

KGdaBom wrote:6-2 since the trade. Half a game out of the playoffs at the moment. So much to be positive about. This thread should have a post a day from all of us.

Should we beat the Spurs and both the Mavs and Kings lose their next games, we’ll be in the 8th playoff spot in the West. Wow, every game matters. Darn you BUTLER!
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#282 » by theGreatRC » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:12 am

This team is way more fun to watch than last years for sure. I hope we can get into the playoffs, this race is so tight, if we win our next 4-5 and western teams lose, we could be one of the top seeds..that's how close the race is and no team is running away with any seed this year
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#283 » by minimus » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:09 am

I have one question... We were awfuly bad at rebounding ball first games of this season. Many of fans thought that KAT should not play center, but PF to improve our rebounding and paint defense. Some said that KAT and small ball would end as biggest disaster.

Now we seem to rebound and defend well with same KAT playing full time C. With undersized PFs in unathletic Saric and declining Gibson we still able to protect pain. Even with undersized two PGs lineup.

So my question is what has changed?

My personal answer is that effort level from Saric, RoCo is what give us huge boost in rebounding. I can not find any numbers to backup this, however raw numbers might be misleading since might use points of TOs and slower pace to control game.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,967

Post#284 » by Domejandro » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:19 am

minimus wrote:I have one question... We were awfuly bad at rebounding ball first games of this season. Many of fans thought that KAT should not play center, but PF to improve our rebounding and paint defense. Some said that KAT and small ball would end as biggest disaster.

Now we seem to rebound and defend well with same KAT playing full time C. With undersized PFs in unathletic Saric and declining Gibson we still able to protect pain. Even with undersized two PGs lineup.

My personal answer is that effort level from Saric, RoCo is what give us huge boost in rebounding. I can not find any numbers to backup this, however raw numbers might be misleading since might use points of TOs and slower pace to control game.

Both Covington and Dario are quality rebounders, but another aspect is defending the three-point line. Robert Covington's ball-denial on the perimeter has really helped in limiting long-rebounds, which disproportionately ended up as offensive rebounds against Minnesota.

We have also played a lot of trash-tier teams in a row, the upcoming four-game home-stand will really help determine things.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,849

Post#285 » by life_saver » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:00 pm

We are 2nd in the league in conceding least amount of points in point over past 8 games. For entire season, we are 9th in the league in conceding fewest number of points in paint.
life_saver
General Manager

Post#286 » by life_saver » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:15 pm

Post Butler trade, some of our defense stats (the ranks mentioned in the brackets were for first 13 games of season)-

Opposition points of Turnovers - 1st (16th)
Steals - 2nd (3rd)
Opposition Fast Break points - 2nd (27th)
Opposition Points in Paint - 2nd (25th)
Opposition 2nd Chance points - 5th (30th)
Defensive Rebounding % - 10th (29th)
Opponent 3 Point % - 10th (26th)
Blocks - 18th (10th)

So, the biggest improvement in defense have been in Defensive Rebounding(which helped in limiting 2nd chance points), Transition defense and rim protection. Even perimeter defense has improved.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#287 » by Slim Tubby » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:25 pm

upriser7 wrote:Post Butler trade, some of our defense stats (the ranks mentioned in the brackets were for first 13 games of season)-

Steals - 2nd (3rd)
Blocks - 18th (10th)

So, the biggest improvement in defense have been in Defensive Rebounding(which helped in limiting 2nd chance points), Transition defense and rim protection. Even perimeter defense has improved.

I’m not a “stats” guy but that’s some amazing ****, upriser. The immediate improvement is nothing short of astonishing. Obviously, adding one (1) above average defender (Saric) and one (1) elite defender (Covington) improved our talent level and depth but a person could argue that shipping out Butler’s crippling locker room cancer is of equal importance. KAT has taken his game to the next level and even the veterans like Teague and Taj seem to be enjoying themselves more since the trade.
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
life_saver
General Manager

Post#288 » by life_saver » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:34 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:
upriser7 wrote:Post Butler trade, some of our defense stats (the ranks mentioned in the brackets were for first 13 games of season)-

Steals - 2nd (3rd)
Blocks - 18th (10th)

I’m not a “stats” guy but that’s some amazing ****, upriser. The immediate improvement is nothing short of astonishing. Obviously, adding one (1) above average defender (Saric) and one (1) elite defender (Covington) improved our talent level and depth but a person could argue that shipping out Butler’s crippling locker room cancer is of equal importance. KAT has taken his game to the next level and even the veterans like Teague and Taj seem to be enjoying themselves more since the trade.

yeah...this is some insane improvement..that's why I am wondering whether this level of intensity that we are showing on defense is sustainable or not. I saw some stat on GB yesterday that even when RoCo is off the court, our defensive rating is around 102-103. It's like entire team has been playing lot more actively and not being lazy on defense. Almost everyone has been switching pretty well defensively over the last 7 games...let's see whether we can sustain it or not
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#289 » by Slim Tubby » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:37 pm

Now we just need Thibs to come around to the idea of bringing Wiggins off the bench and starting Okogie with his defensive tenacity alongside RoCo. I actually believe Wiggins would thrive playing against the reserves of other teams and maybe that would boost his confidence which would in turn boost his aggressiveness.

Starters
C – Karl Anthony Towns
PF – Taj Gibson
SF – Robert Covington
SG – Josh Okogie
PG – Jeff Teague

2nd Team
C – Gorgui Dieng
PF – Dario Saric
SF – Andrew Wiggins
SG – Derrick Rose
PG – Tyus Jones
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#290 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:13 pm

I have a problem with Teague more than with Wiggins. It’s already obvious that teams are defending with having in mind that he’s not gonna shoot that 3. He’s open more and more often, and I think it indicates that the scouting reports show he’s been hesitant to shoot it despite being a decent shooter. It’s the same issue we had with Rubio except Teague at least goes in and hits some floaters and layups when a defender comes from afar to contest his 3. Still, I think we’d have better offense if we had a less esteemed PG who’d just shoot it when he’s open. I’m talking about guys like Forbes, Galloway, Cook, Mills, Augustin etc. Even Rubio is hitting 1.4 a game while Teague is hitting 0.9 3s a game this season. That has to change, Jeff needs to shoot that goddamn ball, he’s got too good a stroke to shy away so much.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#291 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:08 pm

minimus wrote:I have one question... We were awfuly bad at rebounding ball first games of this season. Many of fans thought that KAT should not play center, but PF to improve our rebounding and paint defense. Some said that KAT and small ball would end as biggest disaster.

It sounds easy, but a big part of improving rebounding is to force more missed shots.

Since the trade, Minnesota has allowed an opponent to shoot 43% in a game just one time (Denver). Before the trade, that happened in 12 of the 13 games (with eight games over 48%).
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#292 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:11 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:Now we just need Thibs to come around to the idea of bringing Wiggins off the bench and starting Okogie with his defensive tenacity alongside RoCo. I actually believe Wiggins would thrive playing against the reserves of other teams and maybe that would boost his confidence which would in turn boost his aggressiveness.

Starters
C – Karl Anthony Towns
PF – Taj Gibson
SF – Robert Covington
SG – Josh Okogie
PG – Jeff Teague

2nd Team
C – Gorgui Dieng
PF – Dario Saric
SF – Andrew Wiggins
SG – Derrick Rose
PG – Tyus Jones

I don't want to do that only because I love the lineup of Glovington with the second unit.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#293 » by minimus » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:48 am

life_saver
General Manager

Post#294 » by life_saver » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:11 pm

During that 5 game road trip earlier this season where we went 0-5, it was just painful to watch this team...I wasn't even looking forward to next match during that stretch...I thought it might be the same feeling through out this season but man now I can't wait for our next game...what a changeover in a span of 20 days
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#295 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:10 pm

This is a happy team.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#296 » by TheZachAttack » Sat Dec 1, 2018 2:03 am

Hugely positive on this team, but (I'm sure this is harped on) I wish Thibs would commit to a slightly different rotation.

I'm pretty fine with everything except Okogie/Tolliver/Saric should get Gorgui's minutes.

I know this makes us small, but I think better offense plus switching means that we wouldn't do too badly. Plus Taj can handle himself against C's.

I guess the other step would be reduced Teague/Wiggins minutes and pretty much playing everyone 15-25 minutes per game except Towns/Covington at 34-36.

C: Towns (35 min) - Gibson (13 min)
PF: Saric (25 min) - Gibson (11 min) - Tolliver (12 min)
SF: Covington (36 min) - Okogie (12 min)
SG: Wiggins (28 Min) - Rose (20 min)
PG: Teague (24 min) - Rose (9 min) - Tyus (15 min)
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#297 » by Jedzz » Sat Dec 1, 2018 11:17 pm

I'm very positive in thoughts about the team right now. Bit I'm also positive that they will lose to the Celtics. I vow to eat more veggies if the Timberwolves win this one.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,967

Post#298 » by Domejandro » Sat Dec 1, 2018 11:24 pm

Jedzz wrote:I'm very positive in thoughts about the team right now. Bit I'm also positive that they will lose to the Celtics. I vow to eat more veggies if the Timberwolves win this one.

Given that my Celtics' fan buddy is coming over to watch the game, I need you to eat some veggies in advance for good luck. I might not hear the end of this one if things go sour. :lol:
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#299 » by Jedzz » Sun Dec 2, 2018 5:53 pm

The veggies are safe. At least they showed they could compete at times with a team like Boston. I think it was Horford after the game that mentioned that the Wolves have found something that clicks and has them playing at a high level right now. He noticed.

This team of players just needs to find a way to learn how to shoot under the highest pressure moments. You see a guy like Kyrie drain a 35 footer with zero hesitation late in the game and it's just a dagger you need to be able to answer. Hayward hit all his late as well. The Timberwolves young players may need the military shooting blanks over their heads so they learn how to shoot under fire. It's what they are missing to get over the hump.
K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Post#300 » by K4P » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:42 am

We almost had C.J Miles instead of Okogie.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves