ImageImageImage

The Zach LaVine Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: The Zach LaVine Thread 

Post#1241 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Not the biggest fan of Zach but i wish him well... In the right situation with a balanced roster i believe he's going to be a more impactful player in the game.

He's also going to be one of the best scorer's in the league, no doubt about that.

Good luck Zach !!!
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#1242 » by TheDominator273 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:09 pm

The Bulls fans are gonna love LaVine, hopefully playing for a bigger market will make people aware he's not just a dunker. I wouldn't be surprised if he's an all star in the next couple seasons now that he will get his chance to shine away from KAT and Wiggins.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#1243 » by Mattya » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:25 pm

The people trashing this trade from the Bulls perspective really don't understand how good LaVine is. If you are concerned about his long term injury concern after and ACL. I can give you that, since you never know 100%. I can understand being upset about giving up the Bulls pick along with Butler. But Zach's talent has been underrated by general fans who really don't pay attention. If he keeps his efficiency with the Bulls when he is back healthy, we are going to be hearing the same fans, say "you know maybe this actually wasn't a bad trade." He will absolutely score more than Butler did when he is actually back to where he was. I really think the "he is just a dunker" tag he gets from the dunk contest really messed up general fans perception of him. You don't even have to dig that far to see that he was putting up more efficient numbers than Devin Booker on less usage. Maybe some of his efficiency drops being the top offensive option, but I doubt it will hurt much. Very good spot up shooter. Very solid off the dribble on pull up shots. Excellent at the rim. Very good in fast break situations.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,371

Post#1244 » by younggunsmn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:54 pm

Thanks for the memories Zach and best of luck on the ACL recovery and move to chicago.
I wasn't a huge fan of the pick at the time but was glad to see him prove me wrong and grow into an exciting player.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#1245 » by Note30 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:10 pm

I think one day we may regret this trade. Thats the type of potential Zach has.

That being said. Good luck to you Zach!
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#1246 » by Basti » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:49 am

It's started to kick in that Zach is no longer a Wolf. And that makes me sad. I wish him all the best and assuming he'll be back 100% it'll make the deal worth it for the Bulls.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#1247 » by Swish4 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:55 am

I think he'll eventually make Bulls fans forget all about Jimmy Butler
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,160

Post#1248 » by _AIJ_ » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:42 am

Forever Blue!!!!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using RealGM mobile app
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,292

Post#1249 » by Calinks » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:25 pm

http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/25/off-to-take-center-stage-in-chicago-zach-lavine-will-miss-minnesota-and-his-boys/

But aside from the business aspect is the personal one. LaVine had grown close with Wiggins and Towns over the past couple of years. LaVine said the three were possibly going to see a movie together Sunday night.

“This is pretty much the last time we’re going to be together like this, other than the offseason,” LaVine said. “In the offseason, we can still do the same things, kick it. We’re boys and everything. That’ll never change. But it’s going to be different for all of us.

“We’ve already been talking about it. We grew up with each other. Not saying we’re already the most mature men yet, but from 18, 19 years old to (now), that’s a lot of maturing and it’s big. So it’s going to definitely be different and change always takes time … but I love those guys to death, and our relationship will never change.”
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#1250 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Calinks wrote:http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/25/off-to-take-center-stage-in-chicago-zach-lavine-will-miss-minnesota-and-his-boys/

But aside from the business aspect is the personal one. LaVine had grown close with Wiggins and Towns over the past couple of years. LaVine said the three were possibly going to see a movie together Sunday night.

“This is pretty much the last time we’re going to be together like this, other than the offseason,” LaVine said. “In the offseason, we can still do the same things, kick it. We’re boys and everything. That’ll never change. But it’s going to be different for all of us.

“We’ve already been talking about it. We grew up with each other. Not saying we’re already the most mature men yet, but from 18, 19 years old to (now), that’s a lot of maturing and it’s big. So it’s going to definitely be different and change always takes time … but I love those guys to death, and our relationship will never change.”

:cry:
Paxson43
Sixth Man
And1: 588

Post#1251 » by Paxson43 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:30 pm

Bulls fan, I come in peace!

I haven't watched a ton of LaVine, and really all I knew about the kid was that he was super athletic.

I wanted to get an honest analysis of the player from ya'll since I'm sure the majority have watched a ton of his game. Do you think he's peaked? Do you think he can still get better? I was honestly stunned to see that he shot 38.7% from 3 last season.

There has been some knocks on his defense, do you think that could improve?

How is the kid's character -- is he coachable?
phonzadellika
Rookie
And1: 178

Post#1252 » by phonzadellika » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:39 pm

Paxson43 wrote:Bulls fan, I come in peace!

I haven't watched a ton of LaVine, and really all I knew about the kid was that he was super athletic.

I wanted to get an honest analysis of the player from ya'll since I'm sure the majority have watched a ton of his game. Do you think he's peaked? Do you think he can still get better? I was honestly stunned to see that he shot 38.7% from 3 last season.

If he never improves it won't be for lack of trying.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,261

Post#1253 » by Baseline81 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Mitchell has said he has as much potential as Wiggins and Towns. If I recall correctly, he had to take away LaVine's key to the practice facility.
Ethomasp31
Senior
And1: 208

Post#1254 » by Ethomasp31 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:49 pm

On Thursday I was really excited about the trade...and I'm still excited about the Woves for this upcoming season as I think we will make a huge jump. But honestly, when all is said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if when we look back at this trade that we will say the Bulls got the better end of it. LaVine is a gym rat, young and extremely athletic and dedicated to get better. I'm sad to see him go. I kinda wish we had just drafted Smith and let the youngsters grow up and get better together. Hopefully that will change once I see butler playing in a Wolves uniform.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#1255 » by ace625214 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:43 pm

You'll find that pretty much everyone here loves Zach. I'll go down your list of questions with my opinions.

1. I don't think he's peaked at all. He's improved markedly every season in the league. He's a knockdown shooter and is rapidly improving at attacking the basket and is a very good finisher. The large amount of upper body strength he seems to have added while his knee was hurt should only help with that. I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see him challenge for leading the league in scoring in a couple years, especially if he's "the man" in Chicago. Last season he was averaging over 20ppg while being very efficient as a 3rd option until he started dealing with injuries.

2. Defense. Here's where Zach's weaknesses lie. If Thibs thought he could become a good defender quickly, he would likely still be on the team. Zach is very quick and athletic, so he certainly has the tools to stay in front of someone. For whatever reason, whether it's disinterest, lack of focus, or just not knowing how, he's a matador. I've seen him compete hard for a few stretches the past couple seasons, but even then he was just OK. I wouldn't count on him ever being a plus defender. If he reaches his ceiling, it'll be as a Harden/Lillard/IT type of player rather than a Butler/PG/Leonard type.

3. He's very high character and coachable. I don't think there was a harder worker on our team. Each summer he has left with a list of things to improve upon in terms of individual skills, and he's come back better at them each fall. He was very active in the community, donating a bunch of money and making regular visits to a school for the deaf in Minneapolis.
Paxson43
Sixth Man

Post#1256 » by Paxson43 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys. It's crazy but I feel like this dude quickly is becoming my favorite current Bulls player.
Maefteda
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#1257 » by Maefteda » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:12 pm

He should be, take good care of him for us. Zach was probably my favorite Timberwolf before he was traded and I love a bunch of our guys.

It's not his thread, but I really like Kris Dunn as a player still and more so as a person, you should check out his story too:
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,292

Post#1258 » by Calinks » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:43 pm

:lol:

No, not at all. He certainly can get better and every year he has had big growth. He has a huge ceiling as a big time bucket getter. Best part of his game isn't even his athleticism, he has a great stroke and he can get shots off from nearly anywhere. ITs not crazy to think he has a shot at being one of the top scorers in the league down the line.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Paxson43
Sixth Man

Post#1259 » by Paxson43 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:21 pm

Thanks again for the info, ya'll!

As a quick aside, does anyone have any good LaVine images/gifs that are compatible with being avatars on this site?
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#1260 » by NewWolvesOrder » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:39 pm

He works hard and is a talented scorer. He just lacks BBIQ and probably always will, so beware.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves