ImageImageImage

Your #3, #4 pick scenerios

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,373

Your #3, #4 pick scenerios 

Post#1 » by Mattya » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:13 pm

So it seems pretty unanimous that Okafor or Towns would be top 2 on our big board, but what would you do if we are at #3 or #4 and both those guys are gone. To me, Russell would still be an excellent pick and fit here. Creates some needs to move guys on the roster though. Mudiay isn't as great of a fit, but he is considered a top tier talent in the draft. I think the only way any of those guys dont go top 4 is if Porzingis wows in workouts.

So, what do you do? Would like to hear ideas for follow up moves, trade back ideas, etc..
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Re: Your #3, #4 pick scenerios 

Post#2 » by PZiv » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:26 pm

Trade pick for Embiid. We gotta get a C thats BPA.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,700

Post#3 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:28 pm

Russell is 3
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,247

Post#4 » by Murphs56 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:19 pm

Is anyone watching Russell play?! I don't think the 76ers pass him up at 2 if they pick 2 and we're at 3.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#5 » by Grits n Gravy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:18 am

As much as I love Porzingis I think I would take Russell at #3 and Porzingis at 4. I think we have something at the 4 between Payne, Bennett and Bjelica and I would love a 3 guard rotation of Ricky-Russel and Zach.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#6 » by Krapinsky » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:22 am

#3 Russell
#4 Try to Trade Mudiay for Embiid, if not just take WCS
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Post#7 » by theGreatRC » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:51 am

Klomp wrote:Russell is 3

This. This. This and this.

4 Is more up in the air at this point, unless we feel confident in taking WCS at #4 or #5
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Mattya
RealGM

Post#8 » by Mattya » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:11 am

theGreatRC wrote:
Klomp wrote:Russell is 3

This. This. This and this.

4 Is more up in the air at this point, unless we feel confident in taking WCS at #4 or #5

I agree that Russell is the clear #3. Some just want a big over anything.

Krapinsky wrote:#3 Russell
#4 Try to Trade Mudiay for Embiid, if not just take WCS

PZiv wrote:Trade pick for Embiid. We gotta get a C thats BPA.

Would not trade Russell for Embiid with his health issues. Would consider 5 and after.

Nerlens Noel could be another option if Towns is the Philly pick.

Maybe Denver or Sacto offer packages to trade up for Mudiay.

So my question to the Mudiay supporters, I know we have a few, what would it take for you to trade him?
Steve_Holiday
Pro Prospect
And1: 51

Post#9 » by Steve_Holiday » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:11 am

There is absolutely no way I'd trade a pick that high in the draft for embiid. If the 76ers are willing to part with him, it means they don't see him as a franchise building block after having a year-long preview. Why on earth would we want him?
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,677

Post#10 » by jpatrick » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:44 am

Yep, Russell at 3. At 4, see what you can get in a trade or take Porzingis.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,600

Post#11 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:17 am

I don't want just a big. I think WCS is going to provide more wins and success to a team than Russell will.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#12 » by Mattya » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:30 am

So what does everyone aim to do if Russell is our pick? He can play some point, but that would give us Wiggins, Bazz, Martin, Russell, and Lavine who need minutes on the wing.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:37 am

Mattya wrote:So what does everyone aim to do if Russell is our pick? He can play some point, but that would give us Wiggins, Bazz, Martin, Russell, and Lavine who need minutes on the wing.

Not that hard...

Rubio / LaVine
Russell / Martin
Wiggins / Muhammad
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Mattya
RealGM

Post#14 » by Mattya » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:44 am

Klomp wrote:
Mattya wrote:So what does everyone aim to do if Russell is our pick? He can play some point, but that would give us Wiggins, Bazz, Martin, Russell, and Lavine who need minutes on the wing.

Not that hard...

Rubio / LaVine
Russell / Martin
Wiggins / Muhammad

That wouldn't be ideal to me. LaVine looks most like a SG to me. Wiggins had his best stretch at SG. Bazz gets barely any minutes.

I'm fine if Russell and Wiggins starting on the wings, but it seems like a waste of assets to play Martin and Bazz around 20 minutes a game each, if that, especially with big needs eslewhere.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:05 am

Mattya wrote:I'm fine if Russell and Wiggins starting on the wings, but it seems like a waste of assets to play Martin and Bazz around 20 minutes a game each, if that, especially with big needs eslewhere.

I'm sick of passing up top talent to fit a positional need.

And this wouldn't be a DWill situation either, because it's not like Russell couldn't play with either Rubio or Wiggins. In fact, I think that'd be a great grouping.

I'm not convinced Bazz is anything more than a 20 mpg guy, and Martin needs to be playing less.

As for big needs elsewhere, I actually like what Dieng is showing this year on offense, and it seems like he continues to develop. Ideally he'd be off the bench, but in a system like what GS does he could possibly start.

Mattya
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mattya » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:23 am

Klomp wrote:
Mattya wrote:I'm fine if Russell and Wiggins starting on the wings, but it seems like a waste of assets to play Martin and Bazz around 20 minutes a game each, if that, especially with big needs eslewhere.

I'm sick of passing up top talent to fit a positional need.

And this wouldn't be a DWill situation either, because it's not like Russell couldn't play with either Rubio or Wiggins. In fact, I think that'd be a great grouping.

I'm not convinced Bazz is anything more than a 20 mpg guy, and Martin needs to be playing less.

As for big needs elsewhere, I actually like what Dieng is showing this year on offense, and it seems like he continues to develop. Ideally he'd be off the bench, but in a system like what GS does he could possibly start.

My point isn't about passing on talent, it's about letting actual talent wast on the bench. Why waste assets like Bazz, LaVine, and/or Martin? I don't agree with your take on Bazz. If we are using such a valuable asset on another guard and limiting minutes and growth for other players. Why not move the other players when they have value?

If Russell is the pick Martin would need to be moved if we aren't going to trade or package the young guys. Personally I think we would need to move Martin and LaVine to utilize our best young players the right way.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,792

Post#17 » by minimus » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:18 am

Just imagine that Russell, and Lavine fulfill their potential. Yes, it will change everything: Rubio situation, Wiggins future, Shabazz, frontcourt situation etc., but it is like all our dreams come true.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#18 » by Mattya » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:25 am

minimus wrote:

Just imagine that Russell, and Lavine fulfill their potential. Yes, it will change everything: Rubio situation, Wiggins future, Shabazz, frontcourt situation etc., but it is like all our dreams come true.

I guess I don't see LaVine as a PG and if we are drafting a SG to add to the guys who play SG on the team alre a dynamic I just don't see the minutes for Lavine.
serevei
Junior
And1: 12

Post#19 » by serevei » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:22 am

#3 Russell every day of the week... LaVine hasn't shown me enough to consider him when drafting....
#4 Trade down to 6-8 and pick up stanley or WCS
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,141

Post#20 » by shangrila » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:23 am

Mattya wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Not that hard...

Rubio / LaVine
Russell / Martin
Wiggins / Muhammad

That wouldn't be ideal to me. LaVine looks most like a SG to me. Wiggins had his best stretch at SG. Bazz gets barely any minutes.

I'm fine if Russell and Wiggins starting on the wings, but it seems like a waste of assets to play Martin and Bazz around 20 minutes a game each, if that, especially with big needs eslewhere.

I'd do something like move Russell over to backup PG, have LaVine play his minutes entirely at the two and trade Martin for...something. Then you've got 5 players over 3 positions; Rubio and Russell at PG, Russell, Lavine and Wiggins at SG and Wiggins and Bazz at SF. Re-sign Neal to round it out and you're set.

I get not wanting to give Martin away, but Martin should never be the thing that stops you from taking a great SG prospect.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves