Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,725

Re: **The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread** 

Post#1101 » by AirP. » Wed Oct 4, 2017 2:17 pm

From the NBA GM survey....
http://www.nba.com/gmsurvey/2017#/
If you were starting a franchise today and could sign any player in the NBA, who would it be?
1. Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota – 29%
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee – 21%
3. LeBron James, Cleveland – 18%
4. Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio – 14%
5. Kevin Durant, Golden State – 11%

Also receiving votes: Stephen Curry, Golden State; Anthony Davis, New Orleans

Last year: Karl-Anthony Towns – 48%

Which player is most likely to have a breakout season in 2017-18?
1. Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota – 21%
2. Kristaps Porzingis, New York – 14%
3. Myles Turner, Indiana – 14%
4. Jusuf Nurkic, Portland – 10%
5. Andrew Wiggins, Minnesota – 7%

Also receiving votes:Jaylen Brown, Boston; Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, L.A. Lakers; Anthony Davis, New Orleans; Joel Embiid, Philadelphia; Gary Harris, Denver; Rodney Hood, Utah; Brandon Ingram, L.A. Lakers; Zach LaVine, Chicago; Jamal Murray, Denver; Ben Simmons, Philadelphia

Last year: Devin Booker – 31%

Who is the best power forward in the NBA?
1. Anthony Davis, New Orleans – 41%
2. LeBron James, Cleveland – 28%
3. Kevin Durant, Golden State – 17%
4. Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota – 7%

Also receiving votes: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee; Draymond Green, Golden State

Last year: Anthony Davis – 29%

Who is the best center in the NBA?

1. Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota – 28%
2. Anthony Davis, New Orleans – 24%
3. Marc Gasol, Memphis – 21%
4. DeMarcus Cousins, New Orleans – 14%

Also receiving votes: Rudy Gobert, Utah; Draymond Green, Golden State; Nikola Jokic, Denver; DeAndre Jordan, LA Clippers
Last year: DeAndre Jordan – 33%
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,886

Post#1102 » by Klomp » Thu Oct 5, 2017 5:43 am

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,571

Post#1103 » by shrink » Thu Oct 5, 2017 12:49 pm

AirP. wrote:From the NBA GM survey....
http://www.nba.com/gmsurvey/2017#/
If you were starting a franchise today and could sign any player in the NBA, who would it be?
1. Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota – 29%
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee – 21%
3. LeBron James, Cleveland – 18%
4. Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio – 14%
5. Kevin Durant, Golden State – 11%

Also receiving votes: Stephen Curry, Golden State; Anthony Davis, New Orleans

Last year: Karl-Anthony Towns – 48%

Which player is most likely to have a breakout season in 2017-18?
1. Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota – 21%
2. Kristaps Porzingis, New York – 14%
3. Myles Turner, Indiana – 14%
4. Jusuf Nurkic, Portland – 10%
5. Andrew Wiggins, Minnesota – 7%

Also receiving votes:Jaylen Brown, Boston; Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, L.A. Lakers; Anthony Davis, New Orleans; Joel Embiid, Philadelphia; Gary Harris, Denver; Rodney Hood, Utah; Brandon Ingram, L.A. Lakers; Zach LaVine, Chicago; Jamal Murray, Denver; Ben Simmons, Philadelphia

Last year: Devin Booker – 31%

Who is the best power forward in the NBA?
1. Anthony Davis, New Orleans – 41%
2. LeBron James, Cleveland – 28%
3. Kevin Durant, Golden State – 17%
4. Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota – 7%

Also receiving votes: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee; Draymond Green, Golden State

Last year: Anthony Davis – 29%

Who is the best center in the NBA?

1. Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota – 28%
2. Anthony Davis, New Orleans – 24%
3. Marc Gasol, Memphis – 21%
4. DeMarcus Cousins, New Orleans – 14%

Also receiving votes: Rudy Gobert, Utah; Draymond Green, Golden State; Nikola Jokic, Denver; DeAndre Jordan, LA Clippers
Last year: DeAndre Jordan – 33%

Thanks for posting that, AirP.

I just wanted to mention that, as much as I love KAT, there is no reason that two GM's should have voted him as a better PF than LeBron or Kevin Durant. The reqson this happened was because of the way the survey listed it's questions. They asked who is most likely to have a break out season immediately before they asked who is the best player at each position. People that voted for Towns had him fresh in their mind, and perhaps their attachment to their previous vote caused them to be more invested in Towns in the next few questions. Without a mental palate cleanser, people were still thinking about youth.

Nice to see Towns win "Best center," over some less spectacular competition than at PF. He would have won by a larger amount if two GM's didn't see him as a PF too. Note as well that GM's struggle giving Anthony Davis a specific position, but I think with Boogie on the team, he has to be considered a PF now.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1104 » by Klomp » Thu Oct 5, 2017 7:53 pm

shrink wrote:I just wanted to mention that, as much as I love KAT, there is no reason that two GM's should have voted him as a better PF than LeBron or Kevin Durant. The reqson this happened was because of the way the survey listed it's questions. They asked who is most likely to have a break out season immediately before they asked who is the best player at each position. People that voted for Towns had him fresh in their mind, and perhaps their attachment to their previous vote caused them to be more invested in Towns in the next few questions. Without a mental palate cleanser, people were still thinking about youth.

Also the fact that over half of the GMs voted for LeBron in the SF question, and another nine voted for Durant. Guessing many of those didn't consider LeBron and Durant as PFs, just like most didn't consider Towns as a PF.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#1105 » by C.lupus » Thu Oct 5, 2017 8:09 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:I just wanted to mention that, as much as I love KAT, there is no reason that two GM's should have voted him as a better PF than LeBron or Kevin Durant. The reqson this happened was because of the way the survey listed it's questions. They asked who is most likely to have a break out season immediately before they asked who is the best player at each position. People that voted for Towns had him fresh in their mind, and perhaps their attachment to their previous vote caused them to be more invested in Towns in the next few questions. Without a mental palate cleanser, people were still thinking about youth.

Also the fact that over half of the GMs voted for LeBron in the SF question, and another nine voted for Durant. Guessing many of those didn't consider LeBron and Durant as PFs, just like most didn't consider Towns as a PF.

I was going to mention that, too. Also, GMs can't vote for their own players/teams so maybe those two were the Cavs and Warriors.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1106 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 6, 2017 9:38 pm

Towns is 5-6 from 3-point range through the first 2 preseason games. Not sustainable, but I do think we'll see improved numbers from him out there this season.

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,815

Post#1107 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 6, 2017 9:42 pm

Klomp wrote:Towns is 5-6 from 3-point range through the first 2 preseason games. Not sustainable, but I do think we'll see improved numbers from him out there this season.

Improved would be excellent because the numbers there last year were pretty solid. I still like seeing Towns do most of his scoring close in because he is virtually unstoppable in close.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1108 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 6, 2017 9:48 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:Towns is 5-6 from 3-point range through the first 2 preseason games. Not sustainable, but I do think we'll see improved numbers from him out there this season.

Improved would be excellent because the numbers there last year were pretty solid. I still like seeing Towns do most of his scoring close in because he is virtually unstoppable in close.

BTW he's only 4-18 on 2s in preseason.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1109 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 6, 2017 11:28 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

BTW he's only 4-18 on 2s in preseason.

Yep and that is very small sample size for his up close shooting and his 3 point shooting. I hope both are improved from last year, but I would guess both end up much closer to last season's percentages than the preseason percentages through two games.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#1110 » by Note30 » Sat Oct 7, 2017 7:08 am

Can't believe how good KAT is. At the age and skill he's at, he has the potential to be the most versatile center in league history.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,725

Post#1111 » by AirP. » Sat Oct 7, 2017 7:31 pm

Read on Twitter
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#1112 » by Zion Wembanyama » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:54 pm

He's really good.

OT: I hope Anthony Davis can continue to add to his game, as he usually does, and stay healthy. I also want AD to be more selfish.
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#1113 » by Narf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Just a friendly reminder. The last 45 games of the season Towns put up:
28.2/12.8/2.5 on .426 3pt%, .594 FG%, and shot nearly 63% from 2
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/townska01/gamelog/2017#120-164-sum:pgl_basic
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1114 » by KGdaBom » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:28 pm

Narf wrote:Just a friendly reminder. The last 45 games of the season Towns put up:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/townska01/gamelog/2017#120-164-sum:pgl_basic

Absolute insanity.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1115 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:11 am

Narf wrote:Just a friendly reminder. The last 45 games of the season Towns put up:

Is that good?

theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#1116 » by theGreatRC » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:02 am

Klomp wrote:

Is that good?

Jokic is better
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
KGdaBom
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: **The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread** 

Post#1117 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:06 am

theGreatRC wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Is that good?

Jokic is better

LMAO

Sent from my SM-G935V using RealGM mobile app
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#1118 » by Vindicater » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:19 am

Slow burn to start the season but clearly getting used to being with good players.

Reckon he will come storming home in the second half of the year.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
CometGM
Senior
And1: 417

Post#1119 » by CometGM » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Once Towns stops being afraid of getting dunked on or embarassed (which is what I think is his biggest issue with defense), I think he will be a great defender. Yeah, he is out of position at times. All players have those moments.

If you want to be a great defender you can't be afraid to get dunked on. Simple as that. It comes with the territory, especially if you're a big man. I'm hoping he grows out of that soon.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,718

Post#1120 » by minimus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:28 pm

He needs to move feet better, choose right angles in defensive position, don't bite on pump fakes and stay low to the ground

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves