Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,576

Re: **The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread** 

Post#1921 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:44 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1922 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:24 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1923 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:00 pm

Read on Twitter

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#1924 » by KGdaBom » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:31 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

This brings both a tear to my eye and a smile to my face.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1925 » by Klomp » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:31 am

Little by little this fall, in training camp practices and exhibition games, the light has started to return to his eyes. After two days back home in New Jersey while the Timberwolves prepared to play their preseason finale against the Brooklyn Nets, a 107-101 loss on Thursday night, it all seemed to come rushing back at once. First was the Hall of Fame induction and retirement of his No. 44 jersey, a raucous event where he had the crowd eating out of his hand. On Wednesday, the Timberwolves made a 45-minute drive from their hotel in Brooklyn to practice at Kean University in Union, N.J., where KAT’s mother, Jacqueline, went to school and where the Towns family dedicated the basketball court in her honor.

The symbolism served as a final message to Towns that it is OK to have fun again, that enjoying basketball does not diminish his mother’s memory, it only strengthens it. As he prepares to start his seventh season in the league, Towns says he has rediscovered a love for the game that he thought was never coming back.

“I didn’t ever think the game would be the same for me again,” Towns said. “I talked about playing 20 years, and I didn’t know if I was going to make it to Year 8.”

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1926 » by Klomp » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:45 pm

Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,101

Post#1927 » by Slim Charless » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:31 pm

Hey guys. Just here for a quick question. What do you think ARod and the rest of your management would say to an Ayton-KAT deal? That's if KAT starts acting like he wants out again.

I'm guessing it would go something like Ayton, Saric and Cam Johnson for KAT and filler. You'd get a 22 yr old center to pair with A1 and who'll solidfy your defense.

TIA
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,585

Post#1928 » by jpatrick » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:41 pm

Slim Charless wrote:Hey guys. Just here for a quick question. What do you think ARod and the rest of your management would say to an Ayton-KAT deal? That's if KAT starts acting like he wants out again.

I'm guessing it would go something like Ayton, Saric and Cam Johnson for KAT and filler. You'd get a 22 yr old center to pair with A1 and who'll solidfy your defense.

TIA

Ayton is a good player when paired with stars. He himself is not a star. KAT is the best offensive center in the league and a true difference maker. And he has never asked to be traded, no matter the spin the national media occasional makes.

If KAT ever actually asked out, it’d be Ayton with other good stuff. Maybe Bridges. Maybe a ton of picks/swaps. But I just don’t see it happening. Centers that can’t shoot or defend in space just don’t have star-like value.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#1929 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:43 pm

Slim Charless wrote:Hey guys. Just here for a quick question. What do you think ARod and the rest of your management would say to an Ayton-KAT deal? That's if KAT starts acting like he wants out again.

TIA

KAT is a star and a 1st option. I was happy to draft him 7th in my fantasy league, and that's not because I'm a Wolves fan, but because I felt like it was a steal for me. Ayton is a couple of tiers below that. Cam Johnson is not bridging that gap. You would probably have to make it rain with 1st rounders, and that is only if we decide we want to rebuild with Ant and Ayton because we still suck.
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#1930 » by Slim Charless » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:50 pm

jpatrick wrote:

TIA

Ayton is a good player when paired with stars. He himself is not a star. KAT is the best offensive center in the league and a true difference maker. And he has never asked to be traded, no matter the spin the national media occasional makes.

If KAT ever actually asked out, it’d be Ayton with other good stuff. Maybe Bridges. Maybe a ton of picks/swaps. But I just don’t see it happening. Centers that can’t shoot or defend in space just don’t have star-like value.

Hmmmm. Not sure if you watched the NBA playoffs over the summer or not.

If you had you might've noticed a running theme-that Ayton shot a historic FG%....seriously no other big did what he did, I believe his numbers in the western conference playoffs were something along the lines of 76% or thereabouts. As to the rest of your post the OTHER running theme in the playoffs about him was how good he was at defending in space. Harrassing guards on the perimeter and punishing opposing bigs(like the MVP who called him the toughest match-up in the league).

All of that said, I understand if you'd rather hold onto KAT. I was just asking about what happens if he got pissy again.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,966

Post#1931 » by shrink » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:22 pm

Hmm. Not sure you’ve watched Towns over the last six years.

Towns is 15th in NBA history in eFG%, over his entire 408 game career.

He does it inside, from midrange, and with high volume three pointers spreading the floor for all his teammates. There is only one player above him all time in eFG% that shoots three’s, and that’s HOF Steph freakin’ Curry.

Ayton is a good player, but making a case based on eFG% for one playoff series vs Towns is ludicrous, just like if someone came in and said DeAndre Jordan’s eFG% shows he better shooter.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,585

Post#1932 » by jpatrick » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:29 pm

shrink wrote:Hmm. Not sure you’ve watched Towns over the last six years.

Towns is 15th in NBA history in eFG%, over his entire 408 game career.

He does it inside, from midrange, and with high volume three pointers spreading the floor for all his teammates. There is only one player above him all time in eFG% that shoots three’s, and that’s HOF Steph freakin’ Curry.

Ayton is a good player, but making a case based on eFG% for one playoff series vs Towns is ludicrous, just like if someone came in and said DeAndre Jordan’s eFG% shows he better shooter.

Making this more impressive is that Towns is an offensive engine. He creates those shots for himself, resulting in the eFG%, and others. Ayton is a very good player but he’s just not an offensive engine. You don’t run the offense through him. He finishes plays from others generally.

Ayton is better defensively than Towns. But the value between the two is gigantic.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1933 » by shrink » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:33 pm

Slim Charless wrote:Hmmmm. Not sure if you watched the NBA playoffs over the summer or not.

If you had you might've noticed a running theme-that Ayton shot a historic FG%....seriously no other big did what he did, I believe his numbers in the western conference playoffs were something along the lines of 76% or thereabouts.

DeAndre Ayton isn’t even the best DeAndre for historic playoff FG%

2014 DeAndre Jordan. .730 FG%
2015 DeAndre Jordan. .716 FG%
2017 DeAndre Jordan. .705 FG%

2021 DeAndre Ayton. .658 FG%

Not sure if you watched the NBA playoffs, or you did, but just came over to lie to us?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1934 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:38 pm

shrink wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:Hmmmm. Not sure if you watched the NBA playoffs over the summer or not.

If you had you might've noticed a running theme-that Ayton shot a historic FG%....seriously no other big did what he did, I believe his numbers in the western conference playoffs were something along the lines of 76% or thereabouts.

Not sure if you watched the NBA playoffs, or you did, but just came over to lie to us?

He was at 70.6% before the Finals fwiw. Shooting 53.1% in the Finals brought it back down to Earth.

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#1935 » by KGdaBom » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:57 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
jpatrick wrote:

TIA

Hmmmm. Not sure if you watched the NBA playoffs over the summer or not.

If you had you might've noticed a running theme-that Ayton shot a historic FG%....seriously no other big did what he did, I believe his numbers in the western conference playoffs were something along the lines of 76% or thereabouts. As to the rest of your post the OTHER running theme in the playoffs about him was how good he was at defending in space. Harrassing guards on the perimeter and punishing opposing bigs(like the MVP who called him the toughest match-up in the league).

All of that said, I understand if you'd rather hold onto KAT. I was just asking about what happens if he got pissy again.

Bridges is looking good. If it were Ayton and Bridges I may consider it.
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#1936 » by Slim Charless » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:05 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:

He was at 70.6% before the Finals fwiw. Shooting 53.1% in the Finals brought it back down to Earth.

He was shooting a little better than that at his apex-the last couple games of the Clips series and then the finals took him down. As to the previous point about DJ- I believe he hit those numbers on a much more limited shot selection. Ayton was putting up more points. He averaged less than 13 in almost every game from those 3 series. DA was hitting closer to 17 a game. Along with shutting down the MVP and wrecking havoc amongst the Clips and throughly outplaying AD during the Lakers series.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,751

Post#1937 » by Slim Tubby » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:16 am

Slim Charless wrote:
Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:DeAndre Ayton isn’t even the best DeAndre for historic playoff FG%

He was shooting a little better than that at his apex-the last couple games of the Clips series and then the finals took him down. As to the previous point about DJ- I believe he hit those numbers on a much more limited shot selection. Ayton was putting up more points. He averaged less than 13 in almost every game from those 3 series. DA was hitting closer to 17 a game. Along with shutting down the MVP and wrecking havoc amongst the Clips and throughly outplaying AD during the Lakers series.

The gap in value between KAT and Ayton is so large, there’s really no discussion to be had as others have pointed out. PHO figures to be very good moving forward so pick compensation just isn’t a factor.

KAT has never even hinted at wanting to be moved and in fact, went on record recently stating he wants to play his whole career for the Wolves. It gets tiring reading media “reports” and fans from other teams trying to validate this bogus narrative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
shrink
RealGM

Post#1938 » by shrink » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:10 pm

I listened to Dane’s podcast, and I’m concerned about Towns’ response to a question on fouling out.

DANE: Coach Finch said that it seems like you get called for more offensive fouls than any other star player in the league. That’s obviously the uncontrollable part for you. What part of that can you control?

KAT: Um, I think for me, I’m going to keep playing physical. I didn’t put all this muscle on for no reason. I’m going to keep being physical, and I’m going to keep playing my game. I’m going to keep demanding attention from the defense and let the game play out. We have lots of offensive players. I think for me, maybe get in a little better position so I don’t have to fight so much. Um, and second,, keeping the same mentality. There’s 82 games in the season and we’ll have games where this happens. You have to make a choice, whether to change your game all around after one game, and critique it way too much, or do you stay true to your identity, to the culture you’re building, and keep playing- keep playing the game. I’m going to keep going out there getting my teammates open with hard screens, I’m going to keep being physical in the post. I’m going to keep using the muscle I garnered this off-season. I’m not going to let all the work I put in this off-season be thrown away because of one game. I’m not going to do that. That would be asinine

This bothers me. Not just because I hate it logically when a person restates a question into something extreme to argue against it. It bothers me because it does not sound like Towns is learning from the last game. He doesn’t seem to want to find that way to still play strong and avoid a couple fouls. He doesn’t address picking up fouls after he gets mad. It sounds like he thinks occasionally fouling out of a game is the unavoidable consequence of his game, and the team culture. This has been a problem in previous seasons, and it does not sound like he is accepting accountability for it - which to Towns’ credit is not something he usually avoids in other areas of his game.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1939 » by Klomp » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:45 pm

Coming into the league, a lot of people projected Towns as a Duncan-style big man. Maybe not the same impact, but in play style. When in fact, the more I think about it the more I think he should've been projected more in the mold of Dirk Nowitzki. I was reminded of this when Finch said recently Ant/KAT reminded him of Dirk and Jason Terry.

I know we feel we need him to be grabbing 15 rebounds. But what if Vanderbilt is our Tyson Chandler? What if McDaniels is our Shawn Marion? What if Beverley is our Jason Kidd? These guys won a title without a double-digit rebounder. And don't look now but Edwards is averaging 8.9 rpg (a Wiggins clone he is not).

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1940 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves