Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Folklore
Senior
And1: 171

Re: **The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread** 

Post#1621 » by Folklore » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:45 am

Jedzz wrote:
Folklore wrote:
Jedzz wrote:https://www.facebook.com/TheOpenCourt/videos/959261067557422/?video_source=permalink

That showed more of Jeff and Andrew being idiots.

Yes, but why can't we just be honest and accept that all three of them were idiots there? A 6 footer boxed him out plain and simple. Maybe we should just trade him to the Lakers for their next ten years of available FRPs.

Maybe Lebron won't care that he's an "empty stat allstar" ~JVG
Spoiler:
https://youtu.be/6EuIC9bkGN8?t=80

With Towns it was more about effort after Jeff didn't pass the ball to him.After the ball was passed to Wiggins he no longer had the best position.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1622 » by Jedzz » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:13 pm

Folklore wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Folklore wrote:That showed more of Jeff and Andrew being idiots.

Yes, but why can't we just be honest and accept that all three of them were idiots there? A 6 footer boxed him out plain and simple.

With Towns it was more about effort after Jeff didn't pass the ball to him.After the ball was passed to Wiggins he no longer had the best position.

I agree, not enough effort was made by Towns to regain better position. He obviously was arms in air asking for it. But the team was also down 4 points with 25 seconds left and VanFleet was all over him. Why exactly should Teague pass to him over someone that has an open look at a 3? I get it, it's Wiggins and Towns likely gets a high pass and gets the 2, with maybe an And1. So what, Towns didn't get the pass. Does that give him the right to pout and just stand there hoping his height will be enough if a put back is needed? VF handled him and it's very clear why VF was so recognized during his finals run. All Towns ends up doing is batting at the ball, I guess trying to knock it back out to someone. Tell me he couldn't have gotten up and taken that ball. Even before that, leveraged better position on little VF.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#1623 » by KGdaBom » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:16 am

Jedzz wrote:
Folklore wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Yes, but why can't we just be honest and accept that all three of them were idiots there? A 6 footer boxed him out plain and simple.

I agree, not enough effort was made by Towns to regain better position. He obviously was arms in air asking for it. But the team was also down 4 points with 25 seconds left and VanFleet was all over him. Why exactly should Teague pass to him over someone that has an open look at a 3? I get it, it's Wiggins and Towns likely gets a high pass and gets the 2, with maybe an And1. So what, Towns didn't get the pass. Does that give him the right to pout and just stand there hoping his height will be enough if a put back is needed? VF handled him and it's very clear why VF was so recognized during his finals run. All Towns ends up doing is batting at the ball, I guess trying to knock it back out to someone. Tell me he couldn't have gotten up and taken that ball. Even before that, leveraged better position on little VF.

It's VanVleet.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1624 » by Jedzz » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:22 am

KGdaBom wrote:It's VanVleet.

I swear I never knew this :oops: I've never really read much about him. Only what I've listened to and apparently my deaf ears always hear "VanFleet". I wonder how long others would have let me go on like that if not for you. Just walking around with that kick-me sign on my back all day. +1 for tearing it off for me.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1625 » by KGdaBom » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:57 pm

Jedzz wrote:

I swear I never knew this :oops: I've never really read much about him. Only what I've listened to and apparently my deaf ears always hear "VanFleet". I wonder how long others would have let me go on like that if not for you. Just walking around with that kick-me sign on my back all day. +1 for tearing it off for me.

Well thank you. Always glad to help.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#1626 » by theGreatRC » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:19 pm

Jedzz wrote:

I kept calling him Vanfleet & my Canadian friend said, "it's VanVleet" and I tried my hardest to care
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1627 » by KGdaBom » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:16 pm

theGreatRC wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

I kept calling him Vanfleet & my Canadian friend said, "it's VanVleet" and I tried my hardest to care

It's good to get names right. Kirk not Kurt Cousins on the Vikings for example. It's disrespectful to get them wrong. Some people do things like that on purpose to be funny.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,705

Post#1628 » by minimus » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Wow. That's very creative thinking. Point center KAT.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#1629 » by Klomp » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:55 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

He's already a very good offensive center, but he could be downright scary for opponents this year.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1630 » by Klomp » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:03 pm

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,705

Post#1631 » by minimus » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:45 pm

I can read for free only first lines. And they are good. :lol:
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1632 » by Jedzz » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:38 pm

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

He's already a very good offensive center, but he could be downright scary for opponents this year.

There is no doubt about it. He's a genetic experiment. Guy practices something for a couple months and he's god mode already.

When he shows us the 'Piano Dunk' I'll know life is over for the rest of us.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#1633 » by shrink » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:14 pm

He won the All Star SKILLS title last year, a big beating out smaller guys.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,543

Post#1634 » by WolfAddict » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:16 am

Long time lurker, first time poster - I honestly think KAT is going to have an absolute stellar season this time around - He is looking focused as hell and looks to have worked on some of his weaknesses.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1635 » by Klomp » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:34 am

The interesting thing is.....how much can he really go up from 24/12/3 on 52/40/84 shooting? KAT's trainer said 29/14/5 might be possible, but that's probably about it.

I think his improvement could almost be Giannis-esque. Everybody saw the growth of his game last year even though the numbers didn't necessarily show a major spike. The key will be if he can have an impact on the wins column like Giannis had last year. The Bucks were +16 from 44 wins to 60 wins. I don't know if that big of a jump will happen here, but that's something that would clearly help his perception across the league. A smaller win jump (5-10) combined with a stat jump like listed above would do the same most likely.

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#1636 » by shrink » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:22 am

WolfAddict wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster - I honestly think KAT is going to have an absolute stellar season this time around - He is looking focused as hell and looks to have worked on some of his weaknesses.

Welcome to the boards!

I completely agree. While Butler was here, we used to see nights where Towns would get 11 FGA’s, despite some of the best efficiency in the league. This year, there simply isn’t as much talent on the team, but the upside is that there aren’t a lot of players that need those shots. Towns is going to get as many opportunities as he can handle. I agree that this season is going to be jaw-dropping.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1637 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:56 am

shrink wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster - I honestly think KAT is going to have an absolute stellar season this time around - He is looking focused as hell and looks to have worked on some of his weaknesses.

Welcome to the boards!

I completely agree. While Butler was here, we used to see nights where Towns would get 11 FGA’s, despite some of the best efficiency in the league. This year, there simply isn’t as much talent on the team, but the upside is that there aren’t a lot of players that need those shots. Towns is going to get as many opportunities as he can handle. I agree that this season is going to be jaw-dropping.

I would have no problem at all with KAT getting 30-15-5 with a steal and 2 blocks a game.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1638 » by Klomp » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:06 am

shrink wrote:While Butler was here, we used to see nights where Towns would get 11 FGA’s, despite some of the best efficiency in the league. This year, there simply isn’t as much talent on the team, but the upside is that there aren’t a lot of players that need those shots. Towns is going to get as many opportunities as he can handle. I agree that this season is going to be jaw-dropping.

Not just when Jimmy was here. The same thing happened after Jimmy was traded under Thibs, where he just wouldn't get enough shot attempts. I know you used 11 as the cutoff, but let's say 15...

With Jimmy.....
16 or more FGAs: 5
15 or fewer FGAs: 5

Without Jimmy.....
16 or more FGAs: 16 (Note: included 6 straight before Thibs was fired)
15 or fewer FGAs: 14

Meanwhile, once Ryan took over that shifted quite a bit. But an even bigger jump happened after his car accident.

Before the car accident.....
16 or more FGAs: 11
15 or fewer FGAs: 6

After the car accident.....
16 or more FGAs: 16
15 or fewer FGAs: 4

So over the course of the season, Towns went from 1:1 on these games in the first half of the season to 2:1 in the third quarter of the season and 4:1 in the fourth quarter of the season.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1639 » by Jedzz » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:01 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:While Butler was here, we used to see nights where Towns would get 11 FGA’s, despite some of the best efficiency in the league. This year, there simply isn’t as much talent on the team, but the upside is that there aren’t a lot of players that need those shots. Towns is going to get as many opportunities as he can handle. I agree that this season is going to be jaw-dropping.

Not just when Jimmy was here. The same thing happened after Jimmy was traded under Thibs, where he just wouldn't get enough shot attempts. I know you used 11 as the cutoff, but let's say 15...

With Jimmy.....
16 or more FGAs: 5
15 or fewer FGAs: 5

Without Jimmy.....
16 or more FGAs: 16 (Note: included 6 straight before Thibs was fired)
15 or fewer FGAs: 14

Meanwhile, once Ryan took over that shifted quite a bit. But an even bigger jump happened after his car accident.

Before the car accident.....
16 or more FGAs: 11
15 or fewer FGAs: 6

After the car accident.....
16 or more FGAs: 16
15 or fewer FGAs: 4

So over the course of the season, Towns went from 1:1 on these games in the first half of the season to 2:1 in the third quarter of the season and 4:1 in the fourth quarter of the season.

So was the car accident pointing things into perspective for him, or was it the survey of voters to achieve the supermax pushing that? Hard to tell.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,839

Post#1640 » by Domejandro » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:28 am

His defense was absolutely superb tonight.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves