**The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread**

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,909

Re: **The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread** 

Post#1661 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:59 pm

packforfreedom wrote:KAT btw is 6th in scoring but not even in the top 35 in MPG (36th to be exact ;) )

Giannis is second in scoring in fewer mpg btw.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,837

Post#1662 » by life_saver » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:28 pm

KAT's passing has been constantly improving with each season but I hope he is more careful while handling the ball...he always has 1 or 2 stupid turnovers every game due to some careless/stupid passes
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1663 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:29 am

life_saver wrote:KAT's passing has been constantly improving with each season but I hope he is more careful while handling the ball...he always has 1 or 2 stupid turnovers every game due to some careless/stupid passes

I've seen the same goofed passes as you and those thoughts, but passing and creating for others looks to be just one of the new skills for this year he's focusing on. How many centers running around with 5 assists or more in many games? Each year this freak of nature puts his mind to something and he actually does it, he'll probably master it soon like everything else. Just one more trick in the bag he can claim.

Honestly for the life of me I can't figure out why Rosas and Ryan don't ask him to be this team's 3 pt shooting god and feed him 30 shots himself. I have no doubt he'd have hot shooting games where he hits 25 of the 30. But he's creating for others and that's a great thing for the team overall. It doesn't bode well for a team to run everything through one player for a measly 45 pts when you need well over 100 to win. Kind of the whole point of our defense lately really. This is both a selfless and selfish act we are witnessing and I think it's pretty cool, even if he doesn't get to claim the highest PER every week all season.
life_saver
General Manager

Post#1664 » by life_saver » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:27 pm

Jedzz wrote:
life_saver wrote:KAT's passing has been constantly improving with each season but I hope he is more careful while handling the ball...he always has 1 or 2 stupid turnovers every game due to some careless/stupid passes

I've seen the same goofed passes as you and those thoughts, but passing and creating for others looks to be just one of the new skills for this year he's focusing on. How many centers running around with 5 assists or more in many games? Each year this freak of nature puts his mind to something and he actually does it, he'll probably master it soon like everything else. Just one more trick in the bag he can claim.

Honestly for the life of me I can't figure out why Rosas and Ryan don't ask him to be this team's 3 pt shooting god and feed him 30 shots himself. I have no doubt he'd have hot shooting games where he hits 25 of the 30. But he's creating for others and that's a great thing for the team overall. It doesn't bode well for a team to run everything through one player for a measly 45 pts when you need well over 100 to win. Kind of the whole point of our defense lately really. This is both a selfless and selfish act we are witnessing and I think it's pretty cool, even if he doesn't get to claim the highest PER every week all season.

I feel like KAT did show some flashes of this passing before but he just never really had big role like this on offense...especially under Thibs during 17/18 season...his decision making also has improved when he is being double teamed. If this team had any other good shooters, you can really make good advantage of opponents double teaming KAT.

Regarding your 2nd point, I know you were joking a bit but even Curry himself never took 30 3's lol...you don't really want to force things right? Especially when it comes to 3 point shooting. I think the open looks that this team is currently generating on offense is encouraging...just a shame that there aren't enough good shooters in this team to take advantage of those open looks
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1665 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:45 pm

life_saver wrote:I feel like KAT did show some flashes of this passing before but he just never really had big role like this on offense...especially under Thibs during 17/18 season...his decision making also has improved when he is being double teamed. If this team had any other good shooters, you can really make good advantage of opponents double teaming KAT.

Regarding your 2nd point, I know you were joking a bit but even Curry himself never took 30 3's lol...you don't really want to force things right? Especially when it comes to 3 point shooting. I think the open looks that this team is currently generating on offense is encouraging...just a shame that there aren't enough good shooters in this team to take advantage of those open looks

Completely agree. His decision making when getting doubled has increased to look to others more. Even when not doubled, he's trying to feed cutters plenty. His awareness of the other players is better this year. Some of those super quick flicks of the wrist passes just need better timing and if they do he's going to be our mini Rubio show off passer at times. Both he and Wiggins have started to employ others more. It's about time, whatever held it up until now. They are showing more capable.
life_saver
General Manager

Post#1666 » by life_saver » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:35 pm

Opponents FG% when the player is defending from 6ft or less -
https://stats.nba.com/players/defense-dash-lt6/?sort=LT_06_PCT&dir=-1&CF=GP*GE*10:PLAYER_POSITION*E*C:PLAYER_NAME*E*&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals

KAT has shown significant improvement this season. Currently he is 5th best in the league. Opponents are shooting only 43% when KAT is defending them from 6ft or less.
These were the numbers in previous seasons -

15-16: 56%
16-17: 60%
17-18: 61%
18-19: 55% (this was around 50% when RoCo was fit....but it became worse as season went on with all injuries to Wolves)
19-20: 43% (5th best in the league)

For me, biggest change is that he is finally getting some weakside help defensively...something that never used to happen when the so called defensive guru Thibs was here. This is where RoCo I think has helped the team a lot. If not, previously under Thibs, KAT would be in lot of tough situations because he rarely used to get any weakside help defensively...it happened a lot in that Houston playoff series.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1667 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:45 pm

I don't know about that Houston playoff series. I'm not making excuses for that. That was Capella, and if Towns still has any weaknesses it is still the games where he comes up against big aggressive Centers. Towns scored in single digits until the 4th game. Meanwhile Capella was in the 20s and a dangerous scorer and setup beast for others. In the 4th and 5th game this swapped for both of them but the series was already toast. This season Towns has been noticeably more inclined to go for blocks and rim protect than ever before. Maybe it has slowed since the beginning of the season now but he was fierce early on. The weakside help, if there is more as you are saying, maybe helps him feel more confident.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#1668 » by Mattya » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:45 pm

life_saver wrote:Opponents FG% when the player is defending from 6ft or less -
https://stats.nba.com/players/defense-dash-lt6/?sort=LT_06_PCT&dir=-1&CF=GP*GE*10:PLAYER_POSITION*E*C:PLAYER_NAME*E*&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals

KAT has shown significant improvement this season. Currently he is 5th best in the league. Opponents are shooting only 43% when KAT is defending them from 6ft or less.
These were the numbers in previous seasons -

15-16: 56%
16-17: 60%
17-18: 61%
18-19: 55% (this was around 50% when RoCo was fit....but it became worse as season went on with all injuries to Wolves)
19-20: 43% (5th best in the league)

For me, biggest change is that he is finally getting some weakside help defensively...something that never used to happen when the so called defensive guru Thibs was here. This is where RoCo I think has helped the team a lot. If not, previously under Thibs, KAT would be in lot of tough situations because he rarely used to get any weakside help defensively...it happened a lot in that Houston playoff series.

So he is pretty much shooting like Curry and defending the rim like Anthony Davis. So there is no player comparison for KAT.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#1669 » by KGdaBom » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 pm

So anybody know what's actually going on with KAT and his injury? Sounds like he is going to have to take some time off sooner or later. Maybe starting tonight.

Edit: Right after I posted this was released on RotoWorld

Next

Karl-Anthony Towns

C, Minnesota Timberwolves

Karl-Anthony Towns (knee) will not play on Wednesday against the Pelicans.

Towns took a hard fall during last Friday's game against the Clippers, and while he was able to play through it, he had a noticeable limp after the game and he hasn't improved much over the past four days. Unfortunately, the Timberwolves next two games come as a Friday-Saturday back-to-back set, so he could miss at least one more game here. Gorgui Dieng could get the start tonight and there will be more minutes available for Jordan Bell and Noah Vonleh. Look for Andrew Wiggins, Jeff Teague and Jarrett Culver to see an uptick in usage as well.

Related: Jeff Teague
, Andrew Wiggins
, Noah Vonleh
, Jordan Bell
, Jarrett Culver

Source: Jon Krawczynski on Twitter

Dec 18, 2019, 6:19 PM ET
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,909

Post#1670 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:02 am

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,700

Post#1671 » by Shaka_Zulu » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:04 am

When is he back?
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1672 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 4, 2020 2:30 pm

who?
jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Post#1673 » by jscott » Sat Jan 4, 2020 3:26 pm

Jedzz wrote:who?

Umm.. do you know what thread you’re in?
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1674 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 4, 2020 3:39 pm

sigh
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,544

Post#1675 » by WolfAddict » Tue Jan 7, 2020 2:23 am

jscott wrote:
Jedzz wrote:who?

Umm.. do you know what thread you’re in?

I think your sarcasm detector might be broken brother...
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,984

Post#1676 » by wolves_89 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 11:58 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

KAT went from day-to-day to week-to-week and if he misses Thursdays game it will be over 4 weeks (basically a month). My confidence in the Wolves training staff is not high.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1677 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 9, 2020 1:59 am

wolves_89 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

KAT went from day-to-day to week-to-week and if he misses Thursdays game it will be over 4 weeks (basically a month). My confidence in the Wolves training staff is not high.

My confidence in them telling the truth much is certainly getting lower. At this point we have to assume it was a bigger knee or whatever issue than claimed. If it's a knee, let it heal before coming back. But if it's a knee that needs corrective action, don't sit out all year like RoCo and then have a surgery in May.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#1678 » by Dewey » Thu Jan 9, 2020 12:37 pm

Jedzz wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

My confidence in them telling the truth much is certainly getting lower. At this point we have to assume it was a bigger knee or whatever issue than claimed. If it's a knee, let it heal before coming back. But if it's a knee that needs corrective action, don't sit out all year like RoCo and then have a surgery in May.

Ya this is in the verge of turning into a real **** show again ... Wiggins returns and we lose our mojo ... when kat returns dieng will prolly be back in the shelf sitting ... then we will fail to make any progress in the west and suddenly players will be injured the rest of the year ... we’ll end it by drafting the wrong PG in June.

:wink:
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1679 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 9, 2020 12:53 pm

Dewey wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:

Ya this is in the verge of turning into a real **** show again ... Wiggins returns and we lose our mojo ... when kat returns dieng will prolly be back in the shelf sitting ... then we will fail to make any progress in the west and suddenly players will be injured the rest of the year ... we’ll end it by drafting the wrong PG in June.

That stings of probability. Like a bees sitnger that breaks off and keeps wiggling in further.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#1680 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Jan 9, 2020 4:17 pm

Dewey wrote:Ya this is in the verge of turning into a real **** show again ... Wiggins returns and we lose our mojo ... when kat returns dieng will prolly be back in the shelf sitting ... then we will fail to make any progress in the west and suddenly players will be injured the rest of the year ... we’ll end it by drafting the wrong PG in June.

We will lose enough to miss the PO's and have a sh*t draft slot. Not looking forward to drafting at #11 again. Who do we give up to move up this time? My patience is really running thin. Another year lost.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves