ImageImageImage

**The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread**

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,157

Re: **The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread** 

Post#1841 » by _AIJ_ » Mon Feb 1, 2021 7:45 pm

Heard KAT will be on this roadtrip. So pretty sure we will see him on the bench tonight
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#1842 » by shangrila » Mon Feb 1, 2021 7:52 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:Heard KAT will be on this roadtrip. So pretty sure we will see him on the bench tonight

That's...bizarre. If he's out due to quarantine then why would he be on the bench? And if he's not, shouldn't he be able to play? Or does his 2 weeks end sometime during our trip?

Honestly, the NBA's COVID protocols are a joke though so I wouldn't be surprised if he did have courtside seats even if he were still supposed to be quarantining.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1843 » by Jedzz » Tue Feb 2, 2021 5:34 am

shangrila wrote:
_AIJ_ wrote:Heard KAT will be on this roadtrip. So pretty sure we will see him on the bench tonight

That's...bizarre. If he's out due to quarantine then why would he be on the bench? And if he's not, shouldn't he be able to play? Or does his 2 weeks end sometime during our trip?

Honestly, the NBA's COVID protocols are a joke though so I wouldn't be surprised if he did have courtside seats even if he were still supposed to be quarantining.

It was good to see him at the game. At least we know now that he's not laid up in a hospital bed struggling. The word was nil until this.

So he tested positive. Was he asymptomatic during his quarantine, or did he suffer some ill effects of the covid whether minor or major? So many talk about impact to lungs/breathing or simply being wiped out tired with this and maybe there is a recovery period for him to get back into shape to play. They let him sit around others so he must have tested free of it.

I expect he'll play soon but maybe it's not full minutes? The team also needs to get used to playing with him again.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#1844 » by theGreatRC » Tue Feb 2, 2021 6:32 am

shangrila wrote:

They said during the game that him and Juancho need to get their conditioning back up, but i've heard they may play this week..Hopefully. Got Spurs and Thunder x2 coming up, 3 winnable games.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#1845 » by Dewey » Sun Feb 7, 2021 1:56 pm

KAT’s covid concerns ... but yet they drag him around on a road trip instead of staying back and conditioning ... I call BS.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,762

Post#1846 » by Slim Tubby » Sun Feb 7, 2021 2:56 pm

Dewey wrote:KAT’s covid concerns ... but yet they drag him around on a road trip instead of staying back and conditioning ... I call BS.

What are you implying? Tank? Something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,104

Post#1847 » by m2002brian » Sun Feb 7, 2021 4:27 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:
Dewey wrote:KAT’s covid concerns ... but yet they drag him around on a road trip instead of staying back and conditioning ... I call BS.

This is most definitely a tank job.
BLUEGREENRED
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,652

Post#1848 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sun Feb 7, 2021 7:26 pm

m2002brian wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:

When we dont have our pick? The ****?
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#1849 » by Neeva » Sun Feb 7, 2021 7:30 pm

We have a 40 percent chance of keeping the pick if they finish bottom 3 (yeah not great) BUT still MUCH better odds than if they finish somewhere between 4-12.
Suggs sure would look nice(another J)
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#1850 » by Calinks » Sun Feb 7, 2021 8:31 pm

I don't buy it. Tanking in our situation in the modern lottery would be really stupid. Small chance to get a top 3 pick and hang on to it. Very likely we are giving the Warriors a pick outside the top 3 if you don't luck out. You foster a loser mentality, you put your job on the line, you hurt your ability to get free agents next off-season, you sour Towns and you take a massive hit from angry fans for flopping on purpose and giving the Warriors a possible superstar draft pick.

I don't see the logic in risking all of that for a small chance to luck into the top 3. I think they want to win as much as possible, make that pick they gave up the lowest value possible and start to instill a winning framework for this team some they can go into next season with the playoffs being a real goal.

Problem is we just arent good enough to do that as yet, they aren't tanking, they just suck.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#1851 » by Dewey » Sun Feb 7, 2021 9:51 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:
m2002brian wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:What are you implying? Tank? Something else?

When we dont have our pick? The ****?

What am I implying? Not sure myself. I just have a vibe there’s a lot going on behind the scenes.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1852 » by Jedzz » Sun Feb 7, 2021 11:30 pm

Neeva wrote:We have a 40 percent chance of keeping the pick if they finish bottom 3 (yeah not great) BUT still MUCH better odds than if they finish somewhere between 4-12.
Suggs sure would look nice(another J)

Since Rosas has pretty much been helping Warriors and vice versa since he came here for them to get things done I assume Rosas sees it as a win whether Wolves keep the pick 1-3 or hand Warriors #4-5. I mean really, we talked about it back in the day when Dlo supposedly chose them over Wolves to get his max deal we couldn't yet really offer, then Wolves took on the contracts of a few Warriors players just to help them make room for that. In the end they took on Wiggins for Wolves and Rosas got his Dlo finally. This is all scratch my back I scratch yours stuff that really if you don't have any of these relationships around the league it is probably difficult to get things done. Maybe he doesn't really care either way. The pick is gone one of the next two seasons one way or the other. At least it wasn't like trading a FRP for Adreian Payne like Flip did. I think the team ultimately traded Rubio to get a FRP back for that year they lost the pick for Payne.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1853 » by Jedzz » Sun Feb 7, 2021 11:42 pm

Calinks wrote:I don't buy it. Tanking in our situation in the modern lottery would be really stupid. Small chance to get a top 3 pick and hang on to it. Very likely we are giving the Warriors a pick outside the top 3 if you don't luck out. You foster a loser mentality, you put your job on the line, you hurt your ability to get free agents next off-season, you sour Towns and you take a massive hit from angry fans for flopping on purpose and giving the Warriors a possible superstar draft pick.

I don't see the logic in risking all of that for a small chance to luck into the top 3. I think they want to win as much as possible, make that pick they gave up the lowest value possible and start to instill a winning framework for this team some they can go into next season with the playoffs being a real goal.

Problem is we just arent good enough to do that as yet, they aren't tanking, they just suck.

Either the coaches and pobo/gm are morons or they have been tanking and blowing the year as a development exercise. Given that Rosas has described it as another development year I think tanking has been part of it. But it could be both.

Allowing a tanking/just blew it all up team like OKC to run up 73 points on you in the first two quarters and then somehow having a chance to win fall short on a single layup/hook in the end just compounds the confusion though. It's quite possible they are all just terrible game coaches and nobody is really on the same page about what they are really doing, whether trying or just going through the motions developing.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#1854 » by Calinks » Mon Feb 8, 2021 12:36 am

Jedzz wrote:
Calinks wrote:I don't buy it. Tanking in our situation in the modern lottery would be really stupid. Small chance to get a top 3 pick and hang on to it. Very likely we are giving the Warriors a pick outside the top 3 if you don't luck out. You foster a loser mentality, you put your job on the line, you hurt your ability to get free agents next off-season, you sour Towns and you take a massive hit from angry fans for flopping on purpose and giving the Warriors a possible superstar draft pick.

Either the coaches and pobo/gm are morons or they have been tanking and blowing the year as a development exercise. Given that Rosas has described it as another development year I think tanking has been part of it. But it could be both.

Allowing a tanking/just blew it all up team like OKC to run up 73 points on you in the first two quarters and then somehow having a chance to win fall short on a single layup/hook in the end just compounds the confusion though. It's quite possible they are all just terrible game coaches and nobody is really on the same page about what they are really doing, whether trying or just going through the motions developing.

The coaches aren't using controllers and playing the players on the floor, yes they have an impact on the game but if your team is absolutely getting wrecked, a huge part of that is on the players. We can't just point to one thing and say "that's the problem." Not saying this coaching staff is great but I'm saying you can't totally pin that first half on them.

At some point the players are screwing up too, that first half was on them more than anything.

My thoughts on the situation. We aren't tanking, we have a questionable system that doesn't fit some of our key personnel. Rosas/Saunders are working in tandem, they are trying to force this system on the guys we have and using this time to assess them. This is a developmental season but it doesn't mean we don't want to win. The team clearly cares most about sticking to their system and developing the team through that more than anything else though.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1855 » by Jedzz » Mon Feb 8, 2021 12:51 am

Calinks wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

The coaches aren't using controllers and playing the players on the floor, yes they have an impact on the game but if your team is absolutely getting wrecked, a huge part of that is on the players. We can't just point to one thing and say "that's the problem." Not saying this coaching staff is great but I'm saying you can't totally pin that first half on them.

At some point the players are screwing up too, that first half was on them more than anything.

My thoughts on the situation. We aren't tanking, we have a questionable system that doesn't fit some of our key personnel. Rosas/Saunders are working in tandem, they are trying to force this system on the guys we have and using this time to assess them. This is a developmental season but it doesn't mean we don't want to win. The team clearly cares most about sticking to their system and developing the team through that more than anything else though.

I agree with some of what you are saying. But again this last sentance doesn't seem to ring true. They dropped the system this year as far as I'm concerned, at least as strictly as they pushed it last year by a far margin. It seems a lot like allowing the players to use what they are comfortable with to rule the henhouse whenever they are on ball. Which is different for all these guards they've asked to be creators in the moment most of this season. Maybe just letting them all develop in their own way. Coaching wise, it just really doesn't seem to me that these coaches have really known who these players are yet and they are using this time to find out. Thibs did that his first year here to learn all his players and tested most of them individually with game focus alternating. My problem with them still doing it now is this is year two of Rosas and crew. Will they flip a bunch of players yet and need to do this all over again next season? Each year? I think they need someone on staff who knows how to fit the pieces together better, faster. Preferrably someone who doesn't go home and test their theories with a controller in their hand.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,285

Post#1856 » by RHODEY » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:41 pm

Hello Timberwolves fans...is Towns out for tonight's game? I'm a Knick fan rooting for you guys to trounce the mavs.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,259

Post#1857 » by Baseline81 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 5:17 pm

RHODEY wrote:Hello Timberwolves fans...is Towns out for tonight's game? I'm a Knick fan rooting for you guys to trounce the mavs.

He's been upgraded to doubtful.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,149

Post#1858 » by Slim Charless » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:15 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:Hello Timberwolves fans...is Towns out for tonight's game? I'm a Knick fan rooting for you guys to trounce the mavs.

He's been upgraded to doubtful.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Is he coming back this week you think? Asking for my fantasy team. Good luck vs Mavs btw. Hope you smash them.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#1859 » by Biff Cooper » Mon Feb 8, 2021 8:32 pm

Wouldn't playing in games be a pretty good way to get in condition for playing games?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,825

Post#1860 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 8, 2021 8:49 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:Wouldn't playing in games be a pretty good way to get in condition for playing games?

Do you prepare for a marathon by running a marathon? Or do you incrementally ramp yourself up to that point?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves