ImageImageImage

** The Official Tyus Jones Thread **

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Re: ** The Official Tyus Jones Thread ** 

Post#381 » by wolfen » Mon Apr 2, 2018 3:29 pm

vagelis wrote:From what I have seen he is not ready yet to get minutes in playoffs.

Sadly I am hoping for Rose to get healed so he can take some Tyus' minutes. He gets exposed too often when the intensity is high, and this time of year, teams are fighting for their lives...
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#382 » by Killboard » Mon Apr 2, 2018 3:49 pm

wolfen wrote:
vagelis wrote:From what I have seen he is not ready yet to get minutes in playoffs.

Sadly I am hoping for Rose to get healed so he can take some Tyus' minutes. He gets exposed too often when the intensity is high, and this time of year, teams are fighting for their lives...

Tyus had the best net rating of the starters last night:

Karl-Anthony Towns 36:08 min, 112 ORTG, 129 DRTG
Andrew Wiggins 35:56 min, 102 ORTG, 123 DRTG
Taj Gibson, 34:05 min, 103 ORTG, 129 DRTG
Tyus Jones, 33:13 min, 111 ORTG, 118 DRTG
Nemanja Bjelica 26:04 min, 95 ORTG,121 DRTG
Jamal Crawford 27:01 min, 59 ORTG, 131 DRTG

But clearly was his fault.
wolfen
Senior

Post#383 » by wolfen » Mon Apr 2, 2018 3:52 pm

Killboard wrote:
wolfen wrote:

Ya it was a rough night for everyone last night. Tyus picked his spots and hit some shots when they were there, and did get 4 steals, but boy did he have a rough time keeping Rubio and Exum from doing what they wanted to...
Killboard
Analyst

Post#384 » by Killboard » Mon Apr 2, 2018 3:57 pm

wolfen wrote:
Killboard wrote:
wolfen wrote:

Ya it was a rough night for everyone last night. Tyus picked his spots and hit some shots when they were there, and did get 4 steals, but boy did he have a rough time keeping Rubio and Exum from doing what they wanted to...

With Tyus in the game the wolves were outscored by 7 points for 100 posessions in 33 minutes.
When Tyus went to the bench, and Brooks played, the wolves were outscored by 33 points by 100 posessions in 16 minutes.
You still thinking Tyus was the problem?
wolfen
Senior

Post#385 » by wolfen » Mon Apr 2, 2018 4:00 pm

Killboard wrote:
wolfen wrote:
Killboard wrote:

With Tyus in the game the wolves were outscored by 7 points for 100 posessions in 33 minutes.
When Tyus went to the bench, Brooks was outscored by 33 points by 100 posessions in 16 minutes.

I never said Tyus was the problem for losing this game. I said he hit his shots when they were there and he had 4 steals. Of course they sucked less when Brooks was out there, he's terrible.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#386 » by Killboard » Mon Apr 2, 2018 4:06 pm

wolfen wrote:
Killboard wrote:
wolfen wrote:

When Tyus went to the bench, Brooks was outscored by 33 points by 100 posessions in 16 minutes.

I never said Tyus was the problem for losing this game. I said he hit his shots when they were there and he had 4 steals. Of course they sucked less when Brooks was out there, he's terrible.

I will add that any game where Tyus has the best net rating while playing 30+ minute is a good (if not great) game for him. Tyus main strenght as starter (in which Im a believer) is that he wont kill you while being low cost salary wise, which would help to sign functional bench players, and not the crap we are seeing with Brooks-Rose-Crawford. Obviously this roster is missing his best two way player, but even with him the bench remains a crap load.
wolfen
Senior

Post#387 » by wolfen » Mon Apr 2, 2018 4:23 pm

Killboard wrote:
wolfen wrote:
Killboard wrote:

I will add that any game where Tyus has the best net rating while played 30+ minute is a good (if not great) game for him. Tyus main strenght as starter (in which Im a believer) is that he wont kill you while being low cost salary wise, which would help to sign functional bench players, and not the crap we are seeing with Brooks-Rose-Crawford. Obviously this roster is missing his best two way player, but even with him the bench remains a crap load.

Fair enough. I just think that there are any number of players out there that would fit in the "won't kill you" low cost type of player. "Won't kill you" many times doesn't equate to being a cog in winning basketball. The trick is getting young, low cost players who are better than that, that make a difference or offer in some area that has to be taken into account by the opposition. Spencer Dinwiddie, Quinn Cook, Yogi Farrell, Terry Rozier, Fred Van Vleet, etc. Young, cheap players who weren't highly drafted or regarded, but offer a tangible threat to the opposition. More than just "hold par" guys, guys that can spark a team, and on a pretty consistent basis. I would bet that there are a dozen or more backup PG's in the league who could also "hold par" in the same fashion that Tyus does, and probably name 6 or more from the g league as well.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#388 » by Killboard » Mon Apr 2, 2018 4:32 pm

wolfen wrote:
Killboard wrote:
wolfen wrote:

I will add that any game where Tyus has the best net rating while played 30+ minute is a good (if not great) game for him. Tyus main strenght as starter (in which Im a believer) is that he wont kill you while being low cost salary wise, which would help to sign functional bench players, and not the crap we are seeing with Brooks-Rose-Crawford. Obviously this roster is missing his best two way player, but even with him the bench remains a crap load.

Fair enough. I just think that there are any number of players out there that would fit in the "won't kill you" low cost type of player. "Won't kill you" many times doesn't equate to being a cog in winning basketball. The trick is getting young, low cost players who are better than that, that make a difference or offer in some area that has to be taken into account by the opposition. Spencer Dinwiddie, Quinn Cook, Yogi Farrell, Terry Rozier, Fred Van Vleet, etc. Young, cheap players who weren't highly drafted or regarded, but offer a tangible threat to the opposition. More than just "hold par" guys, guys that can spark a team, and on a pretty consistent basis. I would bet that there are a dozen or more backup PG's in the league who could also "hold par" in the same fashion that Tyus does, and probably name 6 or more from the g league as well.

Guys like Dinwiddie or Rozier will got payed nicely IMO, its only matter of time. Van Vleet is a good player, but I would wait a little before to put him in the same tier than Rozier and Dinwiddie. I get your point tough, but Tyus shouldnt be earning the same money than those, and still is a good player who is already proven to fit well with our current core. Plus, having Tyus as a starter doesnt mean you cant get a higher upside guy in the bench. The problem to get those is player evaluation skills, you must see something that others dont see, and at this point I dont think Thibs is any special on that.
wolfen
Senior

Post#389 » by wolfen » Mon Apr 2, 2018 4:50 pm

Killboard wrote:
wolfen wrote:
Killboard wrote:

Guys like Dinwiddie or Rozier will got payed nicely IMO, its only matter of time. Van Vleet is a good player, but I would wait a little before to put him in the same tier than Rozier and Dinwiddie. I get your point tough, but Tyus shouldnt be earning the same money than those, and still is a good player who is already proven to fit well with our current core. Plus, having Tyus as a starter doesnt mean you cant get a higher upside guy in the bench. The problem to get those is player evaluation skills, you must see something that others dont see, and at this point I dont think Thibs is any special on that.

I had my g league list all ready just in case you were going to go there lol!! But ya, I agree with most of what you said. I think GM's need to explore more cheap, 1 year signings for roll players, Tyus is case in point. He got his contract since he was a 1st round pick, so my argument is somewhat of a moot point. I believe it's becoming more common each year in the draft that players ranked anywhere from 20 to 40 aren't really that much different, and if you draft one of them in round 1, you're stuck with them. Not hacking on Tyus, but in that draft we already had the 1st and 6th picks in the 2nd round and we used them to trade up to get him. For this year's draft, I wouldn't mind at all if we traded down from around 23 to 32 and 41 with Memphis. That way if I drafted Grayson Allen and he turned out to be underwhelming, I could instead take a shot at guys like Elie Okobo, Chandler Hutchison, Bates-Diop, Moriz Wagner, Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, Aaron Holiday, Carsen Edwards, etc. Essentially double my chances of hitting on a player in the 20 to 40 range, but not having to give them a guaranteed contract.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#390 » by vagelis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:27 am

There is no reason that Jones gets so many minutes.
The competition is too high for him right now
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#391 » by Vindicater » Tue May 1, 2018 9:51 pm

I just don't understand Jones.

He goes from looking like a competent backup point guard at times to a horrible horrible player.

Needs to build confidence.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#392 » by SBM » Wed May 2, 2018 6:43 pm

I understand Jones, he needs a trade.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,858

Post#393 » by AirP. » Wed May 2, 2018 7:16 pm

Vindicater wrote:I just don't understand Jones.

He goes from looking like a competent backup point guard at times to a horrible horrible player.

Needs to build confidence.

He's a roleplayer, he's scrappy and plays within his skillset so when he plays with guys who need shots he shines, when he plays with lesser players who can't score well his lack of scoring stand out.

He's a good player when utilized right(a roleplayer with scorers around him). Of the guards who played at least 50 NBA games this year Tyus was 109th out of 116 guards for shots per 36(his rate of shots).
wolfen
Senior

Post#394 » by wolfen » Wed May 2, 2018 9:30 pm

SBM wrote:I understand Jones, he needs a trade.

This is where I'm at too....
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,178

Re: RE: Re: ** The Official Tyus Jones Thread ** 

Post#395 » by Tukkerwolf » Thu May 3, 2018 6:04 am

wolfen wrote:

Why? So we can acquire a 30 yr old lesser version of him for the vet min? Just don't overpay for him on his new contract and we have the perfect backup PG.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,995

Post#396 » by wolves_89 » Thu May 3, 2018 6:17 am

I'd really like to see the Wolves move Teague and give Jones a bigger role next season. Jones' skill set is a significantly better fit with the starters in that he can run an offense, keeps the ball moving, can make good entry passes, and plays good team defense. For a 21 year old, he was pretty solid and will almost certainly improve over the next few years.
wolfen
Senior

Post#397 » by wolfen » Thu May 3, 2018 2:36 pm

Tukkerwolf wrote:
wolfen wrote:

Why? So we can acquire a 30 yr old lesser version of him for the vet min? Just don't overpay for him on his new contract and we have the perfect backup PG.

I think everyone saw the reason why Tyus got no burn at all in the playoffs and was replaced by Rose - because Tyus has physical limitations that don't allow him to play against tough competition. I'm not saying Rose is great or anything, but he is able to do things against tougher competition that Tyus cannot:

1. Get by his man.
2. Get to the hoop.
3. Draw defenders.
4. SCORE.
5. Play tough defense.

Those 5 things are massively huge in the playoffs and against tough teams in the regular season. Especially with the structure of this team, with Jimmy doing a lot of the distributing, the PG needs to be able to score and hit open shots and not necessarily be a setup guy. Yes, Tyus is an adequate player in the regular season during the looooong 83 game schedule, especially against teams below 500. But that is my point, you can find a thousand PG's who could do an adequate job against sub 500 teams. I just don't like that he becomes essentially useless and unplayable against tough competition and in the playoffs - and it's my belief that it is because of his physical limitations - and those will never change. Frankly, I think he's a 3rd string PG. As far as the 30 year old lesser vet comment, I would take pretty much any PG from the list below at the vet minimum over Tyus. A 3rd string PG is easy to replace and if you can fleece a team out of a late first or early 2nd draft pick I'd do it in a heart beat. That is part of my plan - nab an additional draft pick in this year's draft either through a trade down or a Tyus trade. Take a young PG without physical limitations, one with higher upside, with our first pick, take a scoring wing with the 2nd, and pretty much BPA with the 3rd. And yes, sign a vet backup for next year so the rookie isn't forced into play year one IF he's not ready.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/point-guard/
Killboard
Analyst

Post#398 » by Killboard » Thu May 3, 2018 6:20 pm

wolfen wrote:
Tukkerwolf wrote:
wolfen wrote:

I think everyone saw the reason why Tyus got no burn at all in the playoffs and was replaced by Rose - because Tyus has physical limitations that don't allow him to play against tough competition. I'm not saying Rose is great or anything, but he is able to do things against tougher competition that Tyus cannot:

1. Get by his man.
2. Get to the hoop.
3. Draw defenders.
4. SCORE.
5. Play tough defense.

Those 5 things are massively huge in the playoffs and against tough teams in the regular season. Especially with the structure of this team, with Jimmy doing a lot of the distributing, the PG needs to be able to score and hit open shots and not necessarily be a setup guy. Yes, Tyus is an adequate player in the regular season during the looooong 83 game schedule, especially against teams below 500. But that is my point, you can find a thousand PG's who could do an adequate job against sub 500 teams. I just don't like that he becomes essentially useless and unplayable against tough competition and in the playoffs - and it's my belief that it is because of his physical limitations - and those will never change. Frankly, I think he's a 3rd string PG. As far as the 30 year old lesser vet comment, I would take pretty much any PG from the list below at the vet minimum over Tyus. A 3rd string PG is easy to replace and if you can fleece a team out of a late first or early 2nd draft pick I'd do it in a heart beat. That is part of my plan - nab an additional draft pick in this year's draft either through a trade down or a Tyus trade. Take a young PG without physical limitations, one with higher upside, with our first pick, take a scoring wing with the 2nd, and pretty much BPA with the 3rd. And yes, sign a vet backup for next year so the rookie isn't forced into play year one IF he's not ready.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/point-guard/

The value of Tyus is that he can fill the role on the cheap, which enable us to upgrade another spots in the roster. With 3 max players you have 2 options: fill the other 2 spots with 30-35M like we are doing now and have a crappy bench or fill those starting spots with role players on cheap contracts and have 2 good guys in the bench who allow play around their strengths.

I think I prefer the latter. Injuries are a big problem in the first scenario, and you need to play the bench to decrease the chance and give more value to your assets. If those 2 expensive starters move the needle enough it could work, but if you can replace 75% of his performance with 2 role players isn't going to cut it.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#399 » by minimus » Thu May 3, 2018 9:43 pm

wolfen wrote:I'm not saying Rose is great or anything, but he is able to do things against tougher competition that Tyus cannot:

1. Get by his man.
2. Get to the hoop.
3. Draw defenders.
4. SCORE.
5. Play tough defense.

To be honest there a few PG who can do this in NBA. CP3, Lowry, who else???
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#400 » by SBM » Fri May 4, 2018 4:25 am

I want to see him traded so he can get a chance to start and make himself into a player. He needs minutes and he isnt good enough to get them here. He needs a trade to a team that isn't going anywhere.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves