** The Official Tyus Jones Thread **

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Re: ** The Official Tyus Jones Thread ** 

Post#481 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:36 pm

Killboard wrote:To me is a pretty indicative factor of BBIQ. It doesnt mean Tyus will be a star, but is high likely he will be a plus player and solid overall since he is a good defensive player too. If he develops a reliable 3pt shot in the years to come he will overplay his contract by a big margin.

Plus player, sure. Someone who needs to be a starter, not so sure.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#482 » by minimus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:46 pm

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:Leads NBA in Ast/TO ratio. 22 yrs old.

This doesn't necessarily mean much.

Look at the assists-to-turnovers leaderboards. Most of the leaders are role players. The first player on the list to do it in 30+ mpg is Jeff Teague, who finished 8th.

Agree. However, I don't think it is about his ability to play with starters. It is more about his next contract. If he takes ~7-8 mil/yr on multi-year deal, then it will be bargain. Till this moment this franchise failed to bring players on good contracts. Tyus next contract is the next big step for us, and it will be a good test for our GM/POBO.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#483 » by Jedzz » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:22 pm

I don't know what is going to happen with Teague. His money really defines what is left at PG. Add a multi year deal for Tyus at any higher amount and you gotta think there is nothing left for PG at that point. That doesn't change if Teague is traded because of the equal amounts you are taking back, unless it's shifted to a role we don't currently spend much on. Tyus costed 2.4 this last season.

All I know is I don't want to see Rose gone. Between him and Towns there isn't another stud on the team that can/will carry if you ask them to. If he wants to stay I think anyone's crazy for not keeping him unless he's asking for star money.

If they moved Teague somehow, would people be alright with Rose/Tyus/Rookie? I don't really care who starts, just please not the rookie. Keeping Teague means it's all up in the air to me. That new Towns money is coming out of someone's pocket.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#484 » by Klomp » Mon May 6, 2019 5:52 pm

Rosas on Tyus

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,743

Post#485 » by life_saver » Tue May 21, 2019 7:10 pm

So...any news on Tyus new contract?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#486 » by Klomp » Tue May 21, 2019 7:14 pm

life_saver wrote:So...any news on Tyus new contract?

Nothing can be agreed to until free agency opens June 30, I believe

shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,991

Post#487 » by shrink » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:28 pm

Okay, I have a question for you hoops wonks.

Like many back ups, Tyus is not a starter because his game has holes. He is a good passer, great at not throwing it away, excellent at reading defenses and getting steals, and despite his size, his defensive metrics have been excellent for many years. He is better at many of these things than many starters.

However, he’s not a starter because he isn’t a great creator for himself and isn’t a great scorer or three point shooter.

Are these things you can develop, or is Tyus ceiling limited?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#488 » by Klomp » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:31 pm

shrink wrote:Okay, I have a question for you hoops wonks.

Like many back ups, Tyus is not a starter because his game has holes. He is a good passer, great at not throwing it away, excellent at reading defenses and getting steals, and despite his size, his defensive metrics have been excellent for many years. He is better at many of these things than many starters.

However, he’s not a starter because he isn’t a great creator for himself and isn’t a great scorer or three point shooter.

I think many of the concerns about his shot creation are specifically tied to his size/athleticism, unfortunately. He can certainly improve his shooting though.

He's just a solid player. Solid, but unspectacular.

shrink
RealGM

Post#489 » by shrink » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:54 pm

Klomp wrote:

I think many of the concerns about his shot creation are specifically tied to his size/athleticism, unfortunately. He can certainly improve his shooting though.

Would he be a starter if he became a 40% three point shooter? Is that achievable?

Would that require that the team find a creator at a different position?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#490 » by SO_MONEY » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:26 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Would he be a starter if he became a 40% three point shooter? Is that achievable?

I don't think he would be a starter even with 40% 3pt shooting. He would be more playable, but 3pt shooting is only one of many problems keeping him from starting.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#491 » by minimus » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:31 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I believe that Tyus with 40% 3pt will be a valuable player. Not a starter, but you can play him from the bench just like TOR did with VanVleet.
Ray_S
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#492 » by Ray_S » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:55 am

Like most people on the team , he's a backup on a team that could make a long playoff run. The only guy on the Timberwolves that could start for a good team is Karl Anthony Towns, the rest are all backups on championship-caliber teams.

Shutting this down immediately, apparently the request didn't go through. This post in particular is only kind of baiting, but I'm looking at the posting history; don't respond. -Dome
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,866

Post#493 » by Nick K » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:10 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski
‏Verified account @wojespn

Minnesota has extended a qualifying offer to G Tyus Jones, making him a restricted free agent, league source tells ESPN.
9:34 AM - 26 Jun 2019
shrink
RealGM

Post#494 » by shrink » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:13 pm

Nick K wrote:Adrian Wojnarowski
‏Verified account @wojespn

Minnesota has extended a qualifying offer to G Tyus Jones, making him a restricted free agent, league source tells ESPN.
9:34 AM - 26 Jun 2019

That would be $3,573,204.

- Now he can go out and see what type of deal he can get elsewhere, and the Wolves retain the right to match.

- If he doesn’t find a deal, he can sign the qualifying offer and play one season, then become an unrestricted free agent.

- Teams have the ability to rescind the qualifying offer at any point.
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#495 » by wolfen » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:08 pm

minimus wrote:
shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:I think many of the concerns about his shot creation are specifically tied to his size/athleticism, unfortunately. He can certainly improve his shooting though.

I believe that Tyus with 40% 3pt will be a valuable player. Not a starter, but you can play him from the bench just like TOR did with VanVleet.

If Tyus could shoot 40% from deep on a higher volume, the volume that a typical starter shoots, then I would be more than happy to start him on the wolves. I don't think he will ever shoot it from deep any better than he does now, no matter how much practice and/or development he goes through, however. He's a 33% shooter from deep on 1.5 attempts a game, and that percentage has gone down the last 3 years from 35.6, 34.9, to 31.7% last year - not a good trend, at all. Which leads me to believe that he won't get better in that area.

But... Again, if he shot it 40% and took 5 to 6 3's per game, that would be massive. The only other real hole he'd have left in his game would be the dynamic penetration and scoring, but honestly, it wouldn't matter. If he would score 14 ppg, 7-8 apg while being the floor general that he is, along with playing solid defense? If anyone would say no to that scenario - Tyus as a starter - they would be loco.

You have to think about the fact that Culver has a real good chance of panning out, and one of his strengths is getting into the lane and scoring. Wiggins has that ability as well, he just doesn't finish the play off like he should, with a bucket or a nice pass. So we have the kind of players (theoretically) who would fill in the holes in Tyus' game in the backcourt. Culver making things happen, KAT doing his thing, Tyus could run the show and hit open 3's over and over.

The only sliver of hope for something close to this happening is the fact that Rosas is now in charge, and maybe the club would demand that Tyus shoot the ball at a much higher volume from 3, Rockets style. Unlikely, but it's a thought...
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,292

Post#496 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:12 am

How much wiggle room do we get if we renounce Tyus if we can get something worked out with Dlo?
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#497 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:32 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:How much wiggle room do we get if we renounce Tyus if we can get something worked out with Dlo?
I don't know but not paying Tyus is a good thing.

shrink
RealGM

Post#498 » by shrink » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:34 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:How much wiggle room do we get if we renounce Tyus if we can get something worked out with Dlo?

That $3.5 is his cap hold now that we offered the QO.

Btw, when I was talking about being $8 mil over the cap, and needing to cut $35 mil to sign Russell as a free agent, that already included waiving Tyus to bring that number down to $8.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,292

Post#499 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:47 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
I don't know but not paying Tyus is a good thing.

Well, I assume if dlo was the target then we wouldnt be paying anything substantial to tyus with so many pgs available for cheaper.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#500 » by Mattya » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:54 am

he has a little over $7 million cap hold

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves