ImageImageImage

The Kris Dunn thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Dan's with the Wolves
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Re: The Kris Dunn thread 

Post#501 » by Dan's with the Wolves » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:20 pm

Who is the better defender Rubio or Dunn?

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#502 » by Killboard » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:51 pm

AirP. wrote:Rubio, he needs to be the PG with a team that has finishers and needs someone to set them up, that's not so much needed in Minnesota with Wiggins, LaVine and KAT.

Man, do you see the Twolves games? Have you seen how Wiggins struggles when he is asked to run the offense? Same with Lavine and KAT.

Coincidentally with our only 2 3-winning streaks our offense was switched to involve rubio a lot more. He averaged almost double drives at the rim in the second half of the current season than the first half.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#503 » by Killboard » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:05 pm

AirP. wrote:Right... a more balanced attack probably wouldn't help. At least when Chicago was playing 4 on 5 the offensive liability(Noah) was a difference maker on the other end of the court.

First all Noah was great ditributing the ball in his stint in Chicago.

Second, Rubio per36 averages are 11.3 points and 9.5 Assist in his career. Thats at least (because you must consider 3pts) 30.3 points produced per36 with 17.7% usage for his career.

If the Wolves want a more balanced offense they should wait to Lavine, Wiggins and Kat average a better Assist/To Ratio ( Currently 8.3:7 per36).
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#504 » by LordBaldric » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Killboard wrote:
AirP. wrote:Right... a more balanced attack probably wouldn't help. At least when Chicago was playing 4 on 5 the offensive liability(Noah) was a difference maker on the other end of the court.

First all Noah was great ditributing the ball in his stint in Chicago.

Second, Rubio per36 averages are 11.3 points and 9.5 Assist in his career. Thats at least (because you must consider 3pts) 30.3 points produced per36 with 17.7% usage for his career.

If the Wolves want a more balanced offense they should wait to Lavine, Wiggins and Kat average a better Assist/To Ratio ( Currently 8.3:7 per36).

Don't you think it's pretty silly to grant the assister credit for the full 2 points from a pass for every assist? Most assists are not like that.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,714

Post#505 » by AirP. » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:53 pm

Killboard wrote:
AirP. wrote:Rubio, he needs to be the PG with a team that has finishers and needs someone to set them up, that's not so much needed in Minnesota with Wiggins, LaVine and KAT.

Man, do you see the Twolves games? Have you seen how Wiggins struggles when he is asked to run the offense? Same with Lavine and KAT.

Coincidentally with our only 2 3-winning streaks our offense was switched to involve rubio a lot more. He averaged almost double drives at the rim in the second half of the current season than the first half.

Right... Rubio is really the only vet on the court. Even if you put a lesser yet more rounded vet PG on the court, it would help the team overall. I think Rubio's a good NBA PG but his lack of shooting really puts a strain on the rest of the offensive players, if they had a lot more experience it may work much better, but that's not what the current situation is.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#506 » by AirP. » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:03 pm

LordBaldric wrote:Don't you think it's pretty silly to grant the assister credit for the full 2 points from a pass for every assist? Most assists are not like that.

Right... there's a built in amount of assists you can get by just running the offense, passing to who you're suppose to and they just hit the shot. Obviously Rubio does find some openings other players wouldn't and he's a good enough passer to make that assist. He's a top tier passer... good at defense but bad as an offensive scorer in the NBA, which isn't necessary bad if he could just hit open shots to keep the defense honest.

Even with Rubio's lack of offense, had the Wolves played solid defense the whole season they'd at least be in the 8th slot in the west and possibly higher. Keeping Rubio pretty much means trading pennies on the dollar or wasting one of the young PGs with a lot of potential. Rubio's the only one of the 3 that will fetch anything near what he's worth.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#507 » by Killboard » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:04 pm

LordBaldric wrote:
Killboard wrote:

Don't you think it's pretty silly to grant the assister credit for the full 2 points from a pass for every assist? Most assists are not like that.

I dont think the credit is all on him, like I dont think the credit for Towns, Wiggins and Lavine points are all on them. It wasnt my intention to put in to seem like it but more for make clear that any player who is a liability on offense cant achive those numbers.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#508 » by Killboard » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:18 pm

AirP. wrote:
Killboard wrote:

Right... Rubio is really the only vet on the court. Even if you put a lesser yet more rounded vet PG on the court, it would help the team overall. I think Rubio's a good NBA PG but his lack of shooting really puts a strain on the rest of the offensive players, if they had a lot more experience it may work much better, but that's not what the current situation is.

I would like to hear who is the more well rounded player, because since Ricky is paired with the starting lineup they had:
113.5 ORTG last season (in 46 games)
107.7 ORTG this season (in 36 games)

That puts them over 110 ORTG average, and thats pretty damn good.

And there is more, since the Bulls game (which was on Dec 13th, that like I said, Ricky started to be more involved), the ORTG is 112.8 for the starting unit, which pretty much the same than last season.

That's a great ORTG which is on pair with Portland starting lineup (A.Aminu, M.Harkless, D.Lillard, C.McCollum, M.Plumlee), Clippers (B.Griffin, D.Jordan, L.Mbah a Moute, C.Paul, J.Redick) or cavs (K.Irving, L.James, K.Love, J.Smith, T.Thompson) this season.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#509 » by AirP. » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:40 pm

Killboard wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Killboard wrote:

I would like to hear who is the more well rounded player, because since Ricky is paired with the starting lineup (all star game last year) this lineup had 113.5 ORTG last season (in 46 games) and 107.7 ORTG in 36 games this season, which puts them over 110 ORTG average, and thats pretty damn good.

And there is more, since the Bulls game (which was on Dec 13th, that like I said, Ricky started to be more involved), the ORTG is 112.8 for the starting unit, which pretty much the same than last season.

That's a great ORTG which is on pair with Portland starting lineup (A.Aminu, M.Harkless, D.Lillard, C.McCollum, M.Plumlee), Clippers (B.Griffin, D.Jordan, L.Mbah a Moute, C.Paul, J.Redick) or cavs (K.Irving, L.James, K.Love, J.Smith, T.Thompson) this season.

There are a lot of NBA PGs who are more well rounded then Rubio. That's not to say they're better nor worse then him, just more well rounded by being able to defend, pass and shoot the ball at an average level in the NBA.

Do you follow Rubio on every single social media account he has and instantly like anything he says? You do get this was just about him not able to shoot from the outside and how that DOES hurt his teammates. My god you act as if I said he was trash.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#510 » by Killboard » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:00 pm

AirP. wrote:
Killboard wrote:
AirP. wrote:

I would like to hear who is the more well rounded player, because since Ricky is paired with the starting lineup (all star game last year) this lineup had 113.5 ORTG last season (in 46 games) and 107.7 ORTG in 36 games this season, which puts them over 110 ORTG average, and thats pretty damn good.

There are a lot of NBA PGs who are more well rounded then Rubio. That's not to say they're better nor worse then him, just more well rounded by being able to defend, pass and shoot the ball at an average level in the NBA.

Do you follow Rubio on every single social media account he has and instantly like anything he says? You do get this was just about him not able to shoot from the outside and how that DOES hurt his teammates. My god you act as if I said he was trash.

I know Ricky is brick maker. But I dont know if I can call him not well rounded when he do almost everying else at very high level. For sure the team must fit his style, but isnt like isnt working. The problem with this team is defense and smart basketball, and he have both.

Again, who is the PG who can put us over that type of team offensive numbers?
AirP.
RealGM

Post#511 » by AirP. » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Killboard wrote:I know Ricky is brick maker. But I dont know if I can call him not well rounded when he do almost everying else at very high level. For sure the team must fit his style, but isnt like isnt working. The problem with this team is defense and smart basketball, and he have both.

Nobody, sorry saying his shooting is hurting spacing, I can't believe that the Timberwolves aren't hovering around 40 wins right now with Rubio in the lead for MVP. Can't wait to see him show up everyone in the all-star game. You've convinced me, he's the best!
Killboard
Analyst

Post#512 » by Killboard » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:38 pm

AirP. wrote:
Killboard wrote:I know Ricky is brick maker. But I dont know if I can call him not well rounded when he do almost everying else at very high level. For sure the team must fit his style, but isnt like isnt working. The problem with this team is defense and smart basketball, and he have both.

Nobody, sorry saying his shooting is hurting spacing, I can't believe that the Timberwolves aren't hovering around 40 wins right now with Rubio in the lead for MVP. Can't wait to see him show up everyone in the all-star game. You've convinced me, he's the best!

His shooting dont prevent the current wolves to be one of the most explosive offenses in the nba despite playing 3 21 year olds over 35 MPG. That's why the wolves are struggling (and the bench obviously), and IMO is totally worth it.

If you watch any other team in the west as the kings, pelicans, suns or even Denver they are playing a lot of vets more than us with pretty much the same results.

If your more well rounded player is an all star PG, then the wolves maybe would be better (but watch the blazers and their well rounded shooter backourt).

Indeed I think rubio fits a lot with the current team: Wiggins and lavine aren't efficient NBA players if they aren't getting shots, and rubio set them up like very few PG can without taking shots from them, and I think the ORTG of the lineup proves it.
PuppyBite
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#513 » by PuppyBite » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:44 am

... so back to the Dunn thread. What value does this lottery pick currently have? You do a trade, because signing a RFA doesn't guarantee you get them. I looked this up.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#514 » by Killboard » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:47 pm

PuppyBite wrote:... so back to the Dunn thread. What value does this lottery pick currently have? You do a trade, because signing a RFA doesn't guarantee you get them. I looked this up.

Sinceraly, I dont understand how that is realated to Dunn. But since I was engaged in a off topic discussion I will back to the topic.

The problem with Dunn isnt his lack of vision, which I think are good news. The problem is he is really raw running the P&R, which arent good news. Thats probably a bigger flaw that dont have a jumper. That makes Dunn a more effective player in the fastbreak and quick offense than halfcourt sets.

The biggest problem is that our second unit struggles in all positions, specially on offense (when bazz isnt putting 20 points on 7 shots as lately, or tyus isnt running the team). That means that usually Thibs wants to slow down the pace, making the starting unit can comeback in without take too much damage. But when you slowdown the pace, Dunn hurts on offense.

I wont say is a lock, but anyone who watched Dunn games at providence and his stats knew that Dunn was an hybrid PG/SG who wasnt particulary effective shooting the ball or assistint mates despite his age. Wasnt the best backup to Rubio since you dont have any PG who can score to punish certain matchups. But he has been a force on defense, which is half of the game won.

I would start to play him off the ball and reduce Lavine minutes when the opposing matchup at PG isnt bigger than 6'2 and let Tyus run the offense. Dunn needs time to the game slow downs for him a bit, work on his shot and practice P&R sets a couple of summers before really can be considered a real PG in the NBA.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,948

Post#515 » by Nick K » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:35 pm

Dan's with the Wolves wrote:Who is the better defender Rubio or Dunn?

Clearly Dunn is a better defender than Rubio. Unfortunately, Dunn doesn't know how to run an offense.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#516 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:14 pm

Nick K wrote:

Clearly Dunn is a better defender than Rubio. Unfortunately, Dunn doesn't know how to run an offense.

He's not though.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#517 » by Note30 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Nick K wrote:

He's not though.

He's definitely a more physical defender.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#518 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:22 pm

Note30 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Nick K wrote:

He's not though.

He could be a better man defender, he's not a better overall team defender though.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#519 » by Sugarless » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:24 pm

Note30 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Nick K wrote:

He's not though.

Being more physical and being better are different things.

Dunn may one day be a top defender in this league. He'll need time to learn and improve though. Right now he's got the physical tools but not the savvy and awareness.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#520 » by Note30 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Sugarless wrote:
Note30 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
He's not though.

Being more physical and being better are different things.

Dunn may one day be a top defender in this league He'll need time to learn and improve though. Right now he's got the physical tools but not the savvy and awareness.

Thats why I said physical
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves