Iowa Wolves/G League talk

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,717

Re: Iowa Wolves/G League talk 

Post#201 » by minimus » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:16 pm

big3_8_19_21 wrote:
minimus wrote:Nobody is talking about gleague players as full nba starters. But I am more than sure that Amile, Anthony Brown and Patton can do better than Shabazz and Aldrich. Simply because Thibs dont play them.

Nor did I say anything about starters. I’m saying I don’t believe either of them are contributors right now and I don’t think either of them will be net positive contributors next year either.

Again, I’m not saying I don’t like Patton or anything like that but (even by eye test), I think if he’s playing NBA minutes next year it’s because Thibs is taking the hit to develop him. I don’t think he’ll be a net positive contributor before year 3. Obviously I’d love to be wrong, but I think he’s got a loooong way to go to be getting rotational minutes on merit.

I think this should be next big improvement for this team, coaching staff and all underlying structure. Let me explain. Look at MIA, SAS, BOS rosters. MIA are starting Derrick Jones Jr, who is raw as hell, but they play winning basketball, have an established identity. SAS found Brandon Paul out of nowhere, he is in rotation but he doesn't play every game a lot of minutes. BOS plays green rookies Semi Ojeleye and Daniel Theis.

Question:
Are they all positive contributors? Are they contributors?

Answer:
No, they are not yet. But these teams are smart enough to make this investment in future. I'm very happy with MGH development and I'm okay with his minutes. Very impressed by Tyus development into steady PG, although less enthusiastic about Tyus minutes management by Thibs. But as I've been writing many times, Tyus, Amile, Brown, Patton and MGH are the next biggest thing here after Butler trade. Given our financial situation our G-League players are biggest hope for future.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#202 » by gandlogo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:37 pm

big3_8_19_21 wrote:I like the optimism, but I think *some* (not all) people here need to remember how low the level of competition in the G League is. The last 3 league MVPs have been Vander Blue, Jarnell Stokes and Tim Frazier. Tim Frazier is the only one with an NBA contract.

I like Justin Patton, but I still don't think he's a contributor before year 3. Tyus crushed the G League for 25 points a game as a 19 year old rookie, when he was still clearly not an NBA player yet. Let's hope we feel the same way about Justin in 2 years as we feel about Tyus now.

I think most people around here completely understand the level of competition in the G-League. But I also think there are more than a few differences in Tyus - or even Bazz - going down to the minors for some runs vs. what Patton is doing there now. For the first time this is a Wolves run minor league team and the purpose it is being used for is different than what the Wolves have used it for before. I looked up how Tyus put up 25/game in the G-League. He did so playing 35 minutes/game and taking 20 shots/game - including eight 3-pointers/game. His assists were only 5/game. Bazz was similar in that he attempted 16 shots/game, but in just 28 minutes. Proving your point about competition level, Bazz grabbed 10 boards/game (5.3 on offense!) and got to the line eight times each game. That's Bazz being Bazz against bad competition. Both players played at high AAU levels, and to an extent that's all G-League is at times. Further, big men are dependent on someone getting them the ball, unlike Tyus and to an extent Bazz, so seeing guards put up numbers in the G-League isn't surprising.

Why I think it's different for Patton is that he went in coming off an injury, with a minutes restriction, playing time likely directed from the big club (no inside info on that). His production has gone from just okay when he first got there, to fairly substantial as he's gotten in better shape and accustomed to the level of play. He has never looked like a typical G-League guy just trying to shoot/score his way off the island. He looks like a player that is playing the game the right way - team first, hustle, correct positioning on offense and defense - in a league that seldom features that.

The eyeball test is where I am on him. He is very good passing from either high or low post - and he does so with either hand with ease. His low-post game is very developed in terms of use of pivot and, again, he does so with either hand. His jump shot has a quicker release and his athleticism looks considerably better than Gorgui's. He's just starting to shoot the 3-ball more now, and it looks to be a shot that is already in range for him. He runs the floor and gets to spots where he can be dangerous as a scorer or rebounder. He has legit NBA size; to the point where he's probably stronger on the block (offensively and defensively) than KAT. Not saying he's a better player, just saying he looks physically stronger to me than KAT. He dribbles well and is as comfortable facing the basket as he is on the block. He can play and defend in space. The more he's played the more he's contributed - and the more the team has won.

Even if he doesn't play a single minute this year, the instant G-League is over he needs to get up with the big club and bang around in practice with the big boys. He needs Thibs and Jimmy in his ear, pushing his buttons, seeing how he reacts, and learning how to be an NBA pro.

I'm old. I went to Wolves games in the Dome and have followed them from Day 1. I have witnessed every single big that has been with the club. I don't know why, but there's something about this kid that makes me think he's going surprise a lot of folks.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,858

Post#203 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:56 pm

gandlogo wrote:Even if he doesn't play a single minute this year, the instant G-League is over he needs to get up with the big club and bang around in practice with the big boys. He needs Thibs and Jimmy in his ear, pushing his buttons, seeing how he reacts, and learning how to be an NBA pro.

He will be, and I'm guessing Jefferson and Brown will be too.

Note: all of them can practice with the NBA team through the playoffs, but only Patton could play in games unless they transferred a two-way contract to an NBA minimum, taking the 15th roster spot.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#204 » by Vindicater » Wed Feb 7, 2018 8:47 pm

How much time between the end of the D League and the NBA season?
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#205 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 7, 2018 9:21 pm

Vindicater wrote:How much time between the end of the D League and the NBA season?

Regular season ends March 24.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#206 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:22 am

Klomp wrote:
gandlogo wrote:Even if he doesn't play a single minute this year, the instant G-League is over he needs to get up with the big club and bang around in practice with the big boys. He needs Thibs and Jimmy in his ear, pushing his buttons, seeing how he reacts, and learning how to be an NBA pro.

He will be, and I'm guessing Jefferson and Brown will be too.

Note: all of them can practice with the NBA team through the playoffs, but only Patton could play in games unless they transferred a two-way contract to an NBA minimum, taking the 15th roster spot.

I'm not sure if Jefferson, Brown, or MGH will ever be anything but 4th and 5th wings and a 3rd PF. Depth players that can give solid minutes when asked too. Patton seems like an absolute get though he pops with the eye-test.

Maybe it's recency bias, but this G-League team seems to have more talent and potential NBA contributors than any in my recent memory.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#207 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:14 am

TheZachAttack wrote:I'm not sure if Jefferson, Brown, or MGH will ever be anything but 4th and 5th wings and a 3rd PF. Depth players that can give solid minutes when asked too.

That's probable.

One might develop into more, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#208 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:27 am

Klomp wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:I'm not sure if Jefferson, Brown, or MGH will ever be anything but 4th and 5th wings and a 3rd PF. Depth players that can give solid minutes when asked too.

That's probable.

One might develop into more, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

Regardless that might be exactly what the Wolves need in terms of cheap depth
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#209 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Read on Twitter

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#210 » by shangrila » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:09 am

So they're all coming up? That's interesting.

It makes me curious how much guys like Jefferson and Brown are in the FO's plans.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,723

Post#211 » by AirP. » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:07 pm

Not sure how accurate or if it's been talked about in this thread but the G-League webpages have stats and even projections of the players based off their stats.

Here's Justin Patton
Prediction of PER36 for the NBA(based off their G-League stats)
Pts: 11.9, Reb 6.6, Ast 1.7, Blk 1.6, FG% 45.8, 3pt% 33.8
http://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/#!/1628383/projections/

A couple others(links)
Anthony Brown
http://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/#!/1626148/projections/
Amil Jefferson
http://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/#!/1628518/projections/
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#212 » by LibertyPrime » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:14 pm

AirP. wrote:Not sure how accurate or if it's been talked about in this thread but the G-League webpages have stats and even projections of the players based off their stats.

Here's Justin Patton

A couple others(links)
Anthony Brown
Amil Jefferson

Okay, taking all that with a MASSIVE grain of salt.....

...if Jefferson is going to average 10 ppg in the NBA then I want him here yesterday, especially since Bjelica seems to be settling into the starting SF role reasonably well. Same goes for Patton, only more so.
"The last domino falls here!"
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,723

Post#213 » by AirP. » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:38 pm

LibertyPrime wrote:
AirP. wrote:Not sure how accurate or if it's been talked about in this thread but the G-League webpages have stats and even projections of the players based off their stats.

Here's Justin Patton

A couple others(links)
Anthony Brown
Amil Jefferson

...if Jefferson is going to average 10 ppg in the NBA then I want him here yesterday, especially since Bjelica seems to be settling into the starting SF role reasonably well. Same goes for Patton, only more so.

Neither are ready to contribute to a playoff team. Will they do some nice things, absolutely but they're going to get abused because of their lack of experience in the NBA and that's not even taking in consideration that they haven't even started getting use to the speed of the game at the NBA level. Small amounts of minutes here and there won't really help them all that much, they'd need long stretches to really get any use to playing in the NBA this year and you'd have to expect that would hurt a playoff team.

It wouldn't surprise me next year if Patton and one if not both of the 2 way players that Minnesota currently have in the D-League are resigned and on the NBA roster as cheap backups.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#214 » by shangrila » Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:11 am

AirP. wrote:
LibertyPrime wrote:

Here's Justin Patton

A couple others(links)
Anthony Brown
Amil Jefferson

Neither are ready to contribute to a playoff team. Will they do some nice things, absolutely but they're going to get abused because of their lack of experience in the NBA and that's not even taking in consideration that they haven't even started getting use to the speed of the game at the NBA level. Small amounts of minutes here and there won't really help them all that much, they'd need long stretches to really get any use to playing in the NBA this year and you'd have to expect that would hurt a playoff team.

It wouldn't surprise me next year if Patton and one if not both of the 2 way players that Minnesota currently have in the D-League are resigned and on the NBA roster as cheap backups.

I'd say Jefferson is a lock. Disciplined, high effort guys are what Thibs seems to value most.

Brown could get a shot, I suppose. Those translated stats aren't terrible though his shooting could be better. It looks similar to what MGH was doing last year in the G league. I'm not sure he's going to be the same defender MGH is however, though I never expected MGH to be so good on that end either.
minimus
RealGM

Post#215 » by minimus » Thu Mar 1, 2018 2:01 pm

I really like Toronto strategy last off season. They either traded or let go their role players. And they resigned Lowry and Ibaka. Patterson, Joseph, PJ Tucker and Carrol all replaced with young and cheap players. Siakam, Poetli, VanFleet, OG, CJ Miles and Powell. Thats really solid bench, and not expensive. This is superstar league, we have to give max contracts to Butler, KAT and Wiggins. However, we also have to trade Dieng and let go Bjelica. There is no other solution, and Masai Ujri understood it already. I hope Thibs understands this now. We need to keep our young players and develop them, invest time, risk some games, let them make mistakes and learn from them. I really think that Patton, Ameli, Brown, MGH and Tyus can be our answer to tough financial situation.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#216 » by NebWolvesFan » Thu Mar 1, 2018 2:54 pm

minimus wrote:I really like Toronto strategy last off season. They either traded or let go their role players. And they resigned Lowry and Ibaka. Patterson, Joseph, PJ Tucker and Carrol all replaced with young and cheap players. Siakam, Poetli, VanFleet, OG, CJ Miles and Powell. Thats really solid bench, and not expensive. This is superstar league, we have to give max contracts to Butler, KAT and Wiggins. However, we also have to trade Dieng and let go Bjelica. There is no other solution, and Masai Ujri understood it already. I hope Thibs understands this now. We need to keep our young players and develop them, invest time, risk some games, let them make mistakes and learn from them. I really think that Patton, Ameli, Brown, MGH and Tyus can be our answer to tough financial situation.

You're right about Deing, but I think Minnesota may be able to resign Belly at an afforbable contract. The combination of Belly's loving Minnnesota (he lives here year round), a weak FA market and his age could great supress his market value. I could see him resigning for roughly the same contract he has now and that would be great value. I think Belly could come back.
minimus
RealGM

Post#217 » by minimus » Thu Mar 1, 2018 4:11 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
minimus wrote:I really like Toronto strategy last off season. They either traded or let go their role players. And they resigned Lowry and Ibaka. Patterson, Joseph, PJ Tucker and Carrol all replaced with young and cheap players. Siakam, Poetli, VanFleet, OG, CJ Miles and Powell. Thats really solid bench, and not expensive. This is superstar league, we have to give max contracts to Butler, KAT and Wiggins. However, we also have to trade Dieng and let go Bjelica. There is no other solution, and Masai Ujri understood it already. I hope Thibs understands this now. We need to keep our young players and develop them, invest time, risk some games, let them make mistakes and learn from them. I really think that Patton, Ameli, Brown, MGH and Tyus can be our answer to tough financial situation.

You're right about Deing, but I think Minnesota may be able to resign Belly at an afforbable contract. The combination of Belly's loving Minnnesota (he lives here year round), a weak FA market and his age could great supress his market value. I could see him resigning for roughly the same contract he has now and that would be great value. I think Belly could come back.

I'm a big Bjelica's fan. If he accepts a huge discount AND Dieng is traded then we should re-sign him. We need his versatility, shooting ability and basketball awareness. If not, we should let him go. Also I can see two concerns with Bjelica:
First, he has been dealing with issues during his NBA career. Going forward with Thibs in NBA will not make things easier. He will miss games since his is already 30yrs old.
Second, after injury he usually recovers very slowly. Combined with first factor this becomes serious problem.
minimus
RealGM

Post#218 » by minimus » Fri Mar 2, 2018 5:42 pm

With Butler, Taj out, and Shabazz waived I'd give Patton, Ameli and Brown a chance right now.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#219 » by Vindicater » Fri Mar 9, 2018 8:55 pm

Nah,

Bring in Rose. :)
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
minimus
RealGM

Post#220 » by minimus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 pm

Someone has already mentioned Bryson here as a good 3point shooter. I've just noticed that he is blocking 1 shot per game per 36 minutes and he is athletic enough to play some backup SG.

I wish Thibs seriously consider this guy before looking for DRose etc.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves