Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,718

Re: Iowa Wolves/G League talk 

Post#362 » by minimus » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:29 am

Read on Twitter

KBD is ability to attack closeouts from triple threat position is valuable skill in five out system. In ideal world all three wings in such system should be able both shoot from 3pt and slash + finish at rim. KBD has length and footwork to finish at rim, especially in transition.
minimus
RealGM

Post#363 » by minimus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:11 am

minimus
RealGM

Post#364 » by minimus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:37 pm

Read on Twitter
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#365 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:22 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:Who do compare Kelan Martin to? Past or present. He COULD be an elite 3 pt shooter and he has the size to be a good defender. I would be happy if he becomes Courtney Lee or a Thabo Sefolosha type of guy off the bench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope he can show a little more consistency shooting at some point. I think he's a smart player otherwsie and they can trust that part.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#366 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:37 pm

Klomp wrote:
shangrila wrote:Both of you need to slow your roll.

I'd love to see Martin become a rotation player for us but at this point it's way too early to start talking long term contracts. It's too early to say anything about him good or bad, really.

He has shown more at the NBA level than both Naz Reid and Jaylen Nowell, who each got 1+3 deals.

Uh, to be fair, Naz Reid hasn't gotten that chance yet, but has shown more outside the main show than any of them. Martin also got his first game to shake the cobwebs loose as many coming up will, and then more continuing games to prove otherwise since. Nowell has only had one game of 14 minutes and his cobwebs proved to need cleaning as expected. It will be interesting to see if he can get a couple game stretch of play and see if he can settle in here at some point this season. His skills aren't going away, I like that he's getting minutes to develop outside the main mess and just hope they continue to test him here and there.

I think Martin's headiness for the game and readiness has been on display since this summer and has been ahead of say Nowell, but I can't say that about Reid who really hasn't had any weak showings yet. People claiming negatives about Reid really blow my mind and come off to me as speaking with other agendas, like using minutes to sell other player's value at this time. I think he should be getting small tests at this level like others have gotten due to injuries, but in Reid's case because his play deserves it.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#367 » by shangrila » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:36 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:
shangrila wrote:Both of you need to slow your roll.

I'd love to see Martin become a rotation player for us but at this point it's way too early to start talking long term contracts. It's too early to say anything about him good or bad, really.

He has shown more at the NBA level than both Naz Reid and Jaylen Nowell, who each got 1+3 deals.

Uh, to be fair, Naz Reid hasn't gotten that chance yet, but has shown more outside the main show than any of them. Martin also got his first game to shake the cobwebs loose as many coming up will, and then more continuing games to prove otherwise since. Nowell has only had one game of 14 minutes and his cobwebs proved to need cleaning as expected. It will be interesting to see if he can get a couple game stretch of play and see if he can settle in here at some point this season. His skills aren't going away, I like that he's getting minutes to develop outside the main mess and just hope they continue to test him here and there.

I think Martin's headiness for the game and readiness has been on display since this summer and has been ahead of say Nowell, but I can't say that about Reid who really hasn't had any weak showings yet. People claiming negatives about Reid really blow my mind and come off to me as speaking with other agendas, like using minutes to sell other player's value at this time. I think he should be getting small tests at this level like others have gotten due to injuries, but in Reid's case because his play deserves it.

It's just a numbers crunch with Reid.

Martin, and I suppose Nowell, had the opportunity once the injuries started (Teague, Napier, Okogie, now Layman). The big rotation hasn't had that and they're already struggling to find minutes for everyone (Vonleh out of the rotation not because he played bad but because Dieng outplayed him, for example).

Not directly related but I also wouldn't be surprised if the 2 ways have a slightly higher priority at this point in the season in terms of minutes. Getting a better idea of what they can do might be seen as more valuable since their "contracts" are only for this season, whereas guys like Nowell and Reid are potentially here for 4.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#368 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:53 pm

shangrila wrote:It's just a numbers crunch with Reid.

Martin, and I suppose Nowell, had the opportunity once the injuries started (Teague, Napier, Okogie, now Layman). The big rotation hasn't had that and they're already struggling to find minutes for everyone (Vonleh out of the rotation not because he played bad but because Dieng outplayed him, for example).

Not directly related but I also wouldn't be surprised if the 2 ways have a slightly higher priority at this point in the season in terms of minutes. Getting a better idea of what they can do might be seen as more valuable since their "contracts" are only for this season, whereas guys like Nowell and Reid are potentially here for 4.

That all sounds plausible to me. Especially the bigs being in a logjam. It was odd how many they brought in. I think Reid was a lucky unplanned-for find. Agree on the reasoning for seeing the two ways.

The thing with Reid to me is the shooting ability. Holy smokes what he's been showing. Couple that with our lack of shooters and I want to see him tested and even with the logjam I'm surprised he's the last one waiting to get a look yet. Two games back they seemed to throw the kitchen sink in and made a public choice to feature Gleaguer minutes. Except for him. I just want to see it, even knowing they have all these bigs' time to deal with. I like Bell playing too. I don't hate the idea of Vonleg playing, and Gorgui has been a good player this season. I guess it's a good problem to have too many. But if Reid can be a lights out shooting big I do think every attempt to confirm this should be made and it shouldn't matter who's infront of him. If it becomes apparent at some point that we have a Kat/Reid tag team force, and other teams feel like we are pushed to make easy deals for some of these other bigs, I won't feel bad about low returns. #1 priority is putting the best team together, not being known as the best salesmen. I already feel for the Vonleh, Dieng, Bells of this team if they get usurped. But thems the breaks in NBA and they are all gettnig good ching to hang out while Wolves figure this out.
minimus
RealGM

Post#369 » by minimus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:46 pm

One thing I think is worth to mention is that Naz was injured before draft, his body fat % was inexcusable high. Even now when I see him playing he still looks overweight. I want to be 100% sure that he is in optimal shape when he will play meaningful NBA minutes. I read about MIN conditioning system and level of preparation. I am perfectly fine if Naz spends this season preparing his body for 82+ games next season. Slowly, but surely.

P.S. I was big fan of Justin Patton talent, a story that did not end well in MIN.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#370 » by shangrila » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:11 am

Jedzz wrote:
That all sounds plausible to me. Especially the bigs being in a logjam. It was odd how many they brought in. I think Reid was a lucky unplanned-for find. Agree on the reasoning for seeing the two ways.

I imagine the Vonleh and Bell signings were pure talent acquisition. They're both young guys brought in for cheap with potential to be rotation players but with enough NBA experience to contribute now as well.

The thing with Reid to me is the shooting ability. Holy smokes what he's been showing. Couple that with our lack of shooters and I want to see him tested and even with the logjam I'm surprised he's the last one waiting to get a look yet. Two games back they seemed to throw the kitchen sink in and made a public choice to feature Gleaguer minutes. Except for him. I just want to see it, even knowing they have all these bigs' time to deal with. I like Bell playing too. I don't hate the idea of Vonleg playing, and Gorgui has been a good player this season. I guess it's a good problem to have too many. But if Reid can be a lights out shooting big I do think every attempt to confirm this should be made and it shouldn't matter who's infront of him. If it becomes apparent at some point that we have a Kat/Reid tag team force, and other teams feel like we are pushed to make easy deals for some of these other bigs, I won't feel bad about low returns. #1 priority is putting the best team together, not being known as the best salesmen. I already feel for the Vonleh, Dieng, Bells of this team if they get usurped. But thems the breaks in NBA and they are all gettnig good ching to hang out while Wolves figure this out.

I'm not seeing Reid as a lights out shooter, at least not yet. I do like his form; it's quick and compact. But it hasn't translated to the floor yet as he's only 33% from 3 and 70% from the line. Those aren't bad for a big man but they're not clear the decks and get him minutes right now either.

I also disagree that their playing of G Leaguers was a deliberate choice. I know they had that infographic showing we'd played the most G League minutes this season but the majority, if not entirety, of that was due to injury. McLaughlin got 57 minutes when Napier and/or Teague were out (can't remember the exact timeline). Martin has gotten his 116 minutes largely because Wiggins and Okogie missed time (combined with Culver moving over to the point to cover for those guys) and now KBD is getting his minutes because Layman is out.

Personally, I don't think there's any rush. Naz has 4 years on his contract, we can afford to be patient. And maybe giving Dieng these minutes now, along with his strong play, will allow them to move him for something decent (or at least won't cost us). I'd rather that, and delay Reid's NBA experience a little, than potentially have Dieng's contract sitting on the books with absolutely no way of moving it.
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,175

Post#371 » by Tukkerwolf » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:23 am

shangrila wrote: Naz has 4 years on his contract, [..]

Wow! I had to check that, because I couldn't believe it, what a bargain!
minimus
RealGM

Post#372 » by minimus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:40 am

Tukkerwolf wrote:
shangrila wrote: Naz has 4 years on his contract, [..]

Wow! I had to check that, because I couldn't believe it, what a bargain!

Rosas deal. Nowell contract is 1+3 as well. Many wondered why Rosas negotiated Nowell deal, now it is clear why.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#373 » by andyhop » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:38 am

Jedzz wrote: It was odd how many they brought in.

Think they just grabbed as many as they could to try out to see if they could find any worth keeping long term. If any of them could possibly be the long term back up big great if not you can toss them away and try again.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,699

Post#374 » by Shaka_Zulu » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:20 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

"Sees our G-league team has a posh dude called Wigginton"

minimus
RealGM

Post#375 » by minimus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:21 pm

I like when AW smiles.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,699

Post#376 » by Shaka_Zulu » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:17 pm

Only when he about to face Cavs and OKC lol.
minimus
RealGM

Post#377 » by minimus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:07 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:Only when he about to face Cavs and OKC lol.

+ GSW, MIA, DET
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#378 » by Jedzz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:58 am

shangrila wrote:I'm not seeing Reid as a lights out shooter, at least not yet. [...]
Personally, I don't think there's any rush. Naz has 4 years on his contract, we can afford to be patient. And maybe giving Dieng these minutes now, along with his strong play, will allow them to move him for something decent (or at least won't cost us). I'd rather that, and delay Reid's NBA experience a little, than potentially have Dieng's contract sitting on the books with absolutely no way of moving it.

I guess we'll have to disagree about the shooting he's shown so far. It comes from Summer league, Preseason and now in Gleague. He's been incredibly solid shooting.

No rush? What's to rush? It's called Development. Bringing Reid up to use him for a two game test isn't rushing things. It's just two games, and his play has earned him the test. That's a great thing to show the Gleague team, that your play can earn you shots. The point of the one or two game test is to see where they are at or if they are ready to make this climb or not. They can plan from the beginning to only make it a few game home or away stretch.

I agree that much of the Gleague use has been pushed by injury. That's why I took issue with that stupid graphic they threw up during the game and Pete talking up the point at the time. Already posted about it and don't want to get into that anymore.

But KAT did claim they want to make this a culture where the young guys can expect to progress. Rosas talked about making the two teams just part of the system and players moving up and down as needed for team needs and progressing players.

If I see a need to rush anything, it's to find out who your team's best shooters are and to make use of them. Because this system shooting this many 3s can be deadly if they have a couple players that can.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#379 » by Jedzz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:00 am

minimus wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:Only when he about to face Cavs and OKC lol.

+ GSW, MIA, DET

The list has been growing this year.
minimus
RealGM

Post#380 » by minimus » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:55 pm

Read on Twitter

Naz definitely looks better from SL league. More agile. Now he needs more reps in right system and good coaching. I like how we are trying to use Iowa team.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves