Iowa Wolves/G League talk

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Iowa Wolves/G League talk 

Post#421 » by Jedzz » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:45 pm

old school 34 wrote:
In regards to Reid's size....like I'll repeat obviously @ his height he has the possibility to have position flexibility that could go both ways....but only if he changes body type....he had one of the highest body fat counts in the draft & since High school, thru college, & the limited nba time....his defensive metrics have not been good @ least by all reports &/or scouts that I've read....all while he's been playing C. Can he make that adjustment....absolutely....would it be wise for him....absolutely. If he wants to be a starter in this league...he probably needs to morph to a PF....just from what I see so far...not there yet....but still definitely possible.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

You brought up a good point about what happens if we sit the vets to give even more time to Gleaguers. I agree, great point. I can't however know if the team is wanting/willing to lose 50-60 games this year or not. They aren't going to tell us. They also aren't going to tell us their real plan for any of these players.

We don't agree on him being too slow.
We don't agree on his current body being in better/worse shape forcing a playing role.

Here' s what I know. A 6'9(6'9.5) rookie Davis turned into a beast at PF and by all visual accounts is now taller than claimed. Towns is at whatever height he wants to claim and wants to be a Center. I guess it would be good to hear what Reid cares to be, how many minutes he wants a chance at, and if struggling against players over 7ft is his goal or not.

One of these plays PF by desire, the other is a C by desire right now.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#422 » by minimus » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:56 am

minimus
RealGM

Post#423 » by minimus » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:40 am

Read on Twitter

Love that pass from Reid
minimus
RealGM

Post#424 » by minimus » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:07 pm

Read on Twitter

Future sixth man award candidate from Wolves
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#425 » by Jedzz » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:17 pm

Looks like Jake Paynting is trying to coin a new term for stats there. Stocks (steals/blocks). Is he the first to use this? If only it wouldn't be confused with stock prices 100% of the time. Imagine trying to google NBA stats in the form of Stocks. It kind of paints itself into a corner to never take off.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#426 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:44 pm

Jedzz wrote:Looks like Jake Paynting is trying to coin a new term for stats there. Stocks (steals/blocks). Is he the first to use this? If only it wouldn't be confused with stock prices 100% of the time. Imagine trying to google NBA stats in the form of Stocks. It kind of paints itself into a corner to never take off.

I think Bill Simmons was the first to coin the term in his 2010 book. A few people have used it, but it's definitely not streamlined yet.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#427 » by shangrila » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:42 pm

Jedzz wrote:Looks like Jake Paynting is trying to coin a new term for stats there. Stocks (steals/blocks). Is he the first to use this? If only it wouldn't be confused with stock prices 100% of the time. Imagine trying to google NBA stats in the form of Stocks. It kind of paints itself into a corner to never take off.

Nah, it's been around for a while now.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#428 » by Jedzz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:15 pm

shangrila wrote:

Ah, then just not taking off as I expected. I can't remember ever seeing it. I don't mind it.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#429 » by mplsfonz23 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:22 pm

Jedzz wrote:
shangrila wrote:

Ah, then just not taking off as I expected. I can't remember ever seeing it. I don't mind it.

Not taking off because it's dumb. Just call it by what it is.

I thought K Martin was still with the team up here. 10 of 15 from 3? We NEED him.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,762

Post#430 » by Slim Tubby » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:45 pm

Who wins...a roster comprised of guys currently on, or have been on, the G League squad this season versus the rest of the Big League squad?
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#431 » by Jedzz » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:53 am

Slim Tubby wrote:Who wins...a roster comprised of guys currently on, or have been on, the G League squad this season versus the rest of the Big League squad?

Heart wins most games so... If it was a 7 game series I go with Gleague team. But Wiggins and Towns wouldn't play like they are afraid of them because they know them so well. So they would have a couple big outings. Not 4 though. 4 is too much to ask in a 7 game stretch from these juggs er knots.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#432 » by TheZachAttack » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:36 am

Are there any studies on the correlation between 3 point shooting in the G League and the NBA? I have to imagine that it has to be somewhat consistent. I cannot figure out why our G league guys shoot like the prime Warriors in the G league and come up and shoot like Treveon Graham.

- Nowell shoots 45.6% on 7 attempts per 33 mpg (7.65 attempts per 36)
- Naz shots 39.8% on 5.2 attempts per 30.8 mpg (6.1 attempts per 36)
- Martin shoots 39.6% on 6.4 attempts per 27.2 mpg (8.50 attempts per 36)

-Nowell is shooting 11% from 3 in the NBA
-Naz is shooting 28% from 3 in the NBA
-Martin is shooting 26.3% from 3 in the NBA

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I guess the good news is that shooting is...coming? Nowell, Martin, Naz, and KBD all seem like guys that should hit 36+% from 3 on volume. I am hoping to see plenty of minutes for those 4 in the NBA during the second half of the season.

Nowell, Okogie, Martin, KBD, Naz SEEMS like it could have some potential. Fingers crossed.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#433 » by Calinks » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:12 am

Probably just way more competent defense in the NBA
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#434 » by TheZachAttack » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:25 am

Calinks wrote:Probably just way more competent defense in the NBA

I just can't imagine that to be true though. I mean it is true...but theoretically their roles are simplified at the NBA level. We all watch the games... it's not like every player is blanketed on open shots. The Wolves miss tons of open or semi-open 3 pointers. It's one thing to go from 45% to 38%, but 45% to 11% or 40% to 25% is just crazy.

I'd be interested in seeing the correlation numbers.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#435 » by TheZachAttack » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:23 am

I do want to add for those that say oh it’s the G league Nowell’s numbers aren’t that great.

He’s 7th in the g league in scoring. He’s 3-6 years younger than any of the guys in front of him.

There are only 2 20 year olds averaging more than 17 points per game. One is Keldon Johnson at 21.3, the other is Naz Reid.

Nowell is also tied for 3rd in the G league in 3 point percentage among guys who have played more than 14 games and 5th among guys that have played 10+ games.

Nowell is outscoring tons of FRP’s right now.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#436 » by Jedzz » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:44 am

TheZachAttack wrote:
Calinks wrote:Probably just way more competent defense in the NBA

I just can't imagine that to be true though. I mean it is true...but theoretically their roles are simplified at the NBA level. We all watch the games... it's not like every player is blanketed on open shots. The Wolves miss tons of open or semi-open 3 pointers. It's one thing to go from 45% to 38%, but 45% to 11% or 40% to 25% is just crazy.

I'd be interested in seeing the correlation numbers.

I think it's all nerves for most of them struggling when they first come up. Culver was straight up garbage for most of this season already. Without his draft position and our trade up to get him, he simply would never have been given the minutes he got to finally now start to show that he's getting used to the speed. Martin has shown more readiness with much less time. Nowell has shown he will need the team to give him struggling minutes to get used to it before he shows his true shooting. If they don't give him the minutes, he may not adjust out of thin air. I'm fine with him getting more time in Gleague, but I'm pretty confident if he got Culver's amount of time he too would have turned the corner already and however be hitting 40% 3s in NBA by now.

Mclaughlin looked like he was in a league he should never sniff the first set of games he got. Went back to the G and was at a new high there, then came back up to NBA again later and surprised me how different and better he looked.

I think you are right. They aren't always getting defended any better. Sure sometimes they have much better players on them than seen in Gleague. But seeing guys come up for one or two games, 3-10 minutes and hit 0%, 12%, 20% on open shots just isn't who they are. Takes a rare beast of a player to come up firing on all cylinders no matter the pressure. (Reid?)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#437 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:27 pm

We're talking too about a low volume in the NBA. One hot streak and percentages will climb fast. Last night alone jumped Naz from 28% to 32%.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#438 » by mandurugo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:49 pm

From what I've watched, the defense is distinctly worse in the G League. This is definitely a big factor in my mind. Maybe more importantly is the role they're being asked to play. Given lots of minutes and easier shots, rhythm shooters find their groove and put up great numbers. In the NBA they get very limited minutes and have to come in cold and start shooting - miss and they're back on the bench. Not many guys can jump into a game and immediately start hitting shots, guys who can have a guaranteed career in the NBA.

These two factors are why G League success as a shooter is a poor guarantee to NBA success. That said, its definitely better than playing poorly in the G League. :D Some elements of the game probably translate better than others as well.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#439 » by Jedzz » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:09 pm

mandurugo wrote:From what I've watched, the defense is distinctly worse in the G League. This is definitely a big factor in my mind. Maybe more importantly is the role they're being asked to play. Given lots of minutes and easier shots, rhythm shooters find their groove and put up great numbers. In the NBA they get very limited minutes and have to come in cold and start shooting - miss and they're back on the bench. Not many guys can jump into a game and immediately start hitting shots, guys who can have a guaranteed career in the NBA.

These two factors are why G League success as a shooter is a poor guarantee to NBA success. That said, its definitely better than playing poorly in the G League. :D Some elements of the game probably translate better than others as well.

This sounds right to me, although some teams could do a better job of helping those players translate with more minutes/chances. If your team is chasing a title, loaded with stars, and every game counts then it might be tough. But if you are a losing struggling team, there is really no reason 4 to 5 bench players can't regularly get 12-15 minutes a game. Over the course of an 82 game season, that's potentially alot of development time to work with even if you don't sit starters and start gleaguers. Of course, if you are using most of those bench minutes trying to do other things, such as weakly trying to sell value of players you want to move, well then, you've just made a different kind of choice.
Dan33185
Senior
And1: 940

Post#440 » by Dan33185 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:34 pm

I was down at a game a few weeks ago and thought James Webb played really well. I don't know much about him, what are his NBA chances?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves