ImageImageImage

The Gorgui Dieng Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Re: The Gorgui Dieng Thread 

Post#21 » by packforfreedom » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:42 am

minimus wrote:It looks like Dieng has found his mid-range game. Which is very important thing to keep our offense going when our young trio get cold.

I didn't check but Jim Pete said he's has the second best midrange fg% after CJ McCollum.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#22 » by _AIJ_ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:08 pm

He is still slow as ****

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using RealGM mobile app
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#23 » by minimus » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:44 pm

Read on Twitter
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#24 » by Killboard » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:22 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's what I call have a master degree in Eye-test
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,331

Post#25 » by Calinks » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:05 pm

I have heard from some people who cover the wolves that Dieng comes off as the smartest guy on the team. He also holds other players accountable and knows his stuff. Jim Pete said he and Tyus are the only ones who consistently give their bodies up for charges and Dieng has told others they need to as well and he is frustrated they dont because they tell him that they don''t want to get injured. He sounds like a locker room leader in that he isn't afraid to voice his opinion and get on guys.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Maefteda
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#26 » by Maefteda » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm

Gorgui is amazing and has really stepped up since our season started to turn around slightly. It's not a coincidence that he is our only starter with a positive +/-. Perfect utility player next to our core 3, whether that is as a starter or the first big off the bench. I kinda want him to be with the bench unit so we can use him some more.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#27 » by Hoopz Afrik » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:27 pm

Calinks wrote:I have heard from some people who cover the wolves that Dieng comes off as the smartest guy on the team. He also holds other players accountable and knows his stuff. Jim Pete said he and Tyus are the only ones who consistently give their bodies up for charges and Dieng has told others they need to as well and he is frustrated they dont because they tell him that they don''t want to get injured. He sounds like a locker room leader in that he isn't afraid to voice his opinion and get on guys.

That Senegalese pride won't allow him to hold his tongue. Love the guy for your team.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#28 » by LordBaldric » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:07 pm

Calinks wrote:I have heard from some people who cover the wolves that Dieng comes off as the smartest guy on the team. He also holds other players accountable and knows his stuff. Jim Pete said he and Tyus are the only ones who consistently give their bodies up for charges and Dieng has told others they need to as well and he is frustrated they dont because they tell him that they don''t want to get injured. He sounds like a locker room leader in that he isn't afraid to voice his opinion and get on guys.

Don't want to get injured?!? WTF? Sack up! Take some judo classes and learn how to fall if you need to. :nonono:
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#29 » by Vindicater » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:26 pm

Think he still has one more level to reach to be honest.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#30 » by Note30 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:09 pm

Vindicater wrote:Think he still has one more level to reach to be honest.

If he was just more athletic and better on defense he'd be scary.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steppenwolf
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#31 » by Steppenwolf » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:14 am

He's slow and turnover prone. The offence should never go through him. Just pass him the ball for some uncontested shots.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#32 » by Worm Guts » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:36 am

Gorgui's is long and active defensively, offensively he hits open shots and it is overall very competent. People say he should be a backup, but I think he's pretty solid for a 5th best starter.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#33 » by andyhop » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:27 am

Worm Guts wrote:Gorgui's is long and active defensively, offensively he hits open shots and it is overall very competent. People say he should be a backup, but I think he's pretty solid for a 5th best starter.

If he was the teams 5th best starter we would be doing great, the trouble is he is much higher than that on the Wolves.

He is 1st in RPM, 2nd in WS,VORP and 3rd in BPM.

The problem with Dieng is that Wiggins and LAVine aren't good players yet
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#34 » by Worm Guts » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:47 am

andyhop wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Gorgui's is long and active defensively, offensively he hits open shots and it is overall very competent. People say he should be a backup, but I think he's pretty solid for a 5th best starter.

If he was the teams 5th best starter we would be doing great, the trouble is he is much higher than that on the Wolves.

I pretty much agree. Rubio and Dieng are what they are supposed to be. Towns, Wiggins and Lavine (especially Wiggins and Lavine) are less than they are supposed,although that's probably because they are so young.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#35 » by andyhop » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:02 am

Worm Guts wrote: Towns, Wiggins and Lavine (especially Wiggins and Lavine) are less than they are supposed,although that's probably because they are so young.

Wiggins is the one I have real doubts about, because of his lack of progression over the 3 years. Maybe that is positional, maybe it is coaching and Thibs will find a way of getting to him and maybe he is just an extremely limited player time will tell.

I think our coaching since Wiggins and LaVine were drafted has been bad enough that you have to give them the benefit of the doubt but I find it hard to imagine them getting to where we need them to be to contend from where they are now.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#36 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:18 am

Wiggins and lavine are an overlap. Both are high usage guys that need the ball. Add in 2 more guys that need the ball, we have dysfunction.

It is going to continue until thibs makes a change or wiggs gets that mans strength to not be overwhelmed. Zach is pretty much a pure sg, so there isnt another position he can move to.

It isnt just coincidence that wiggs has been better as a sg than as a sf so far.

Ultimately, i think thibs will have to make a choice fir the betterment of the team.

Dieng is a solid yet unspectacular glue guy right now. He's a c that didn't really complement kat right now. Dieng is the older guy on the squad, yet he gets bullied im the paint as much ad a 19 year old.

Hed be a great 1st big, but we just have nothing at that spot right now.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#37 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:24 am

Much like rubio, dieng is the least of our problems.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#38 » by King Malta » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:19 am

Worm Guts wrote:
andyhop wrote:

I pretty much agree. Rubio and Dieng are what they are supposed to be. Towns, Wiggins and Lavine (especially Wiggins and Lavine) are less than they are supposed,although that's probably because they are so young.

Probably true in Wiggins' case, but as far as Zach I think he's already above what most of us would have expected based on where we took him in the draft, and I'm confident he still has improvement in him.

Towns is just about where he needs to be in my opinion, it's just that some in the wider NBA community expected Shaq like play from him this season based on his rookie year, he's still one of the best centers in the NBA and he's only a sophomore.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#39 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:30 am

King Malta wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
andyhop wrote:

Probably true in Wiggins' case, but as far as Zach I think he's already above what most of us would have expected based on where we took him in the draft, and I'm confident he still has improvement in him.

Towns is just about where he needs to be in my opinion, it's just that some in the wider NBA community expected Shaq like play from him this season based on his rookie year, he's still one of the best centers in the NBA and he's only a sophomore.

Towns is fine in terms of being a 2nd year player, but he's not a top 5-10 player yet. He's not good enough to the best player on a really good team.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#40 » by King Malta » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:43 am

Worm Guts wrote:
King Malta wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Towns is fine in terms of being a 2nd year player, but he's not a top 5-10 player yet. He's not good enough to the best player on a really good team.

Oh definitely, I mean in terms of his development curve though. I assumed your post was referring to them being behind where they should be at this stage of their career, I may have misinterpreted :)

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves